Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Author Topic: Premier Statement: Fans flock to new Metricon Stadium as gates open ...  (Read 1706 times)

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
Premier and Minister for Reconstruction
The Honourable Anna Bligh
22/05/2011

Fans flock to new Metricon Stadium as gates open for the first time

Queensland's newest sports venue, Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast, was officially opened to the public for the first time today.

Queensland Premier, Anna Bligh, welcomed the first Gold Coast sports fans into Metricon.

"Metricon is the latest addition to Queensland's impressive list of world class sporting venues, and I'm delighted the AFL has a new home on the Gold Coast.

"The $144.2 million 25,000 capacity venue was completed on time and on budget, and supported up to 1100 jobs during construction.

"When I committed to this stadium during the election I knew it could become a centre point in this growing city's sporting landscape.

"It will seat up to 25000 Gold Coast Suns fans during their first home game next week and will be expanded to accommodate 40,000 spectators should the Gold Coast win the bid to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

"Metricon is the culmination of a two year construction project which over the next decade is set to inject over $340 million into the Queensland economy.

"I thank all the funding partners for their support of this project and congratulate the project team on completing what will be an iconic Gold Coast attraction."

Federal Minister for Regional Australia Simon Crean said he was delighted to be back on the Gold Coast to officially open the Metricon Stadium with Premier Bligh.

"This is a landmark day for the Gold Coast, not just in terms of its sporting history, but for the development of the city in general.

"It is a smart development that builds upon the city's traditional economic ties with the tourism and entertainment industries and strengthens the liveability of the region- as well as taking AFL to a wider audience," Mr Crean said.

Gold Coast Mayor Ron Clarke said the opening of Metricon Stadium marks a milestone for the city and heralds a new era of AFL on the Gold Coast.

"This truly is a people's stadium - it has state-of-the-art facilities and fantastic viewing from all parts of the ground.

"Council backed the city's bid to get it's own AFL franchise and is a proud funding partner of the stadium - so the opening of its doors to the community is a proud moment for all involved.

"I know our city will truly embrace the stadium and spend many days and nights there supporting the SUNS and other events in the future.

"The stadium is not just home to the SUNS, it will also host many other events and play a major role in the Commonwealth Games, should the Gold Coast's for the 2018 Games be successful.

Gold Coast SUNS Chairman, John Witheriff said the club was looking forward to calling Metricon Stadium home.

"The opening of the new stadium completes a major piece of our puzzle. In a short time we have seen the old Carrara disappear and the new era of Metricon rise at the same time as the SUNS.

"The players and supporters will be very happy to call Metricon Stadium home and we can't wait to welcome our fans into the venue."

"There will be plenty of opportunities for SUNS fans to visit the stadium throughout the year, and I encourage those intending to come to a match, to sign up as SUNS Members."

Features and facts of the new Metricon Stadium

* The new stadium will seat 25,000 spectators.

* $144.2 million project ($71.9m Queensland Government, $36m Commonwealth Government, $23m Gold Coast City Council, $13.3m AFL)

* In a Queensland first up to four hundred and fifty metres of full solar clear photovoltaic (PV) panelling has been installed around the inner edge of the stadium's horseshoe shaped roof.

* Solar panelling will generate approximately 275,000 kilowatt hours (kWh) of electricity per annum, or around 20 per cent of the stadium's total electricity needs.
    * Up to 700 jobs will be created per event when operational.

* Stadiums Queensland venues pump more than $308 million into the state economy and provide more than 2,050 jobs across the state.
    * Will be expanded to accommodate 40,000 spectators should the Gold Coast win the bid to host the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

==============================================================
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  Twitter

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan