• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Temporary Speed Restrictions

Started by somebody, May 19, 2011, 07:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somebody

Let's keep a list of temporary speed restrictions.

At Taringa - 25km/h on the down main.  Been there since Feb 2011 at least.
Buranda -> Park Rd, approaching Park Rd - 15km/h.  Apparently been there off and on for a while.

ozbob

Quote from: Simon on May 19, 2011, 07:50:04 AM
Let's keep a list of temporary speed restrictions.

Buranda -> Park Rd, approaching Park Rd - 15km/h.  Apparently been there off and on for a while.

Useful.  Noted the restriction yesterday on the down main Taringa on the down express.  Wonder what the issue is?
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Approach to platform 4 Central has a restriction too?

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on May 19, 2011, 07:52:42 AM
That's a permanent restriction, so not the same sort of issue.

Golliwog

There's a speed restriction now on the approach to Ferny Grove, I'm assuming some of it is permanent with the buffers now instead of the track overrun, but some I think may be temporary while they go through the construction site. The sign leaving the platforms says 15km/hr, used to go straight to 100 IIRC.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

HappyTrainGuy

40 kph Speed restriction between Carseldine-Zillmere.

Zoiks

What is the central station speed reduction for.

I feel as though we should be aiming for a minimum of 60km/h in the inner city 80km/h within the first couple of km of the city and 160km/h lines outside of that

mufreight

The speed restrictions at Central are determined by the radius of the pointwork and as such are not a speed restriction but a posted track speed.
Due to being on the approach to a platform the reduced speed approach due to the low speed for the radius of the divirging route has little effect and the confined space inhibits the replacement with pointwork with a longer lead which would allow a higher speed through the divirging lead of the points.

somebody

The point of this thread is to catalogue restrictions not caused by poor geometry, but poor track condition, and also to catalogue how long it takes for QR Network to rectify the track condition.

Sounds like there is interest in a thread on poor track geometry, and I am happy to start one, but I don't see why that should be a sticky.  Probably more appropriate in "Qld -> Open Forum".

somebody

Golliwog

Quote from: Simon on May 19, 2011, 14:20:50 PM
how long it takes for QR Network to rectify the track condition.

Does QR Network still exist?
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

somebody

Quote from: Golliwog on May 19, 2011, 20:11:31 PM

Not sure, but their work is still being performed by someone.

There is now a 15km/h restriction (down from 25km/h) for the Park Rd->Dutton Park divergent points.

Sunbus610

Speed restrictions have been in place between Eagle Junction and Toombul stations for quite a while now re the Airport Link (Brisconnections) construction however for the past two days I've observed train services slowing down to approx 25km/h or possibly less at times due to the construction of the road tunnel under the main northern line getting into full swing.
Proud to be a Sunshine Coaster ..........

somebody

Quote from: Sunbus610 on June 01, 2011, 18:19:18 PM
Speed restrictions have been in place between Eagle Junction and Toombul stations for quite a while now re the Airport Link (Brisconnections) construction however for the past two days I've observed train services slowing down to approx 25km/h or possibly less at times due to the construction of the road tunnel under the main northern line getting into full swing.
Is this suburbans and/or mains.  Inbound and/or outbound?

petey3801

Yep, 25km/h speed restriction on the Down Sub at least (around the Airport Junction, I had to slow to 25km/h heading to the airport the other day..)
All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those held by my employer.

Arnz

There is a 25km/h temporary speed restriction board north of Beerburrum at the Tibrogargan Creek bridge. 

The speed restriction applies until the June 13th NCL maintenance weekend period (Northgate-Gympie North).
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

Jonno

Quote from: Golliwog on May 19, 2011, 20:11:31 PM

It is now Queensland Rail Network as part of the new Queensland Rail. They look after the whole network except the QR National Coal network.

Jonno

Quote from: Simon on May 19, 2011, 07:56:56 AM

Why is it permenant? It drives me mad every day!!!

Sunbus610

Quote from: Jonno on June 01, 2011, 20:21:44 PM
Quote from: Simon on May 19, 2011, 07:56:56 AM

Huh, have actually observed/felt the severe curve in the track coming into platform 4 at central.........??
Proud to be a Sunshine Coaster ..........

Jonno

Yes. A world class transport system would fix it!!!

petey3801

Quote from: Jonno on June 01, 2011, 20:37:49 PM
Yes. A world class transport system would fix it!!!

There's really not That much room to play with to fix it. I have been told it was lowered to 10km/h due to a few derailments a number of years ago.

somebody

Poor track geometry.  I understand there are issues with the supports for the building above or some such.

A world class system wouldn't need to fix it because it would have found another way in the first place.

Golliwog

Quote from: Simon on June 01, 2011, 21:25:24 PM
Poor track geometry.  I understand there are issues with the supports for the building above or some such.

A world class system wouldn't need to fix it because it would have found another way in the first place.

The Mincom building? Thats not that old though. And I believe QR had input on that as it would obviously impact on their tracks. It was back before the split though so perhaps the old QR didn't care so much about slowing the passenger trains a bit.

Mentioning speed restrictions, they've slowed right down on the FG line tonight. I think its just tonight as they appeared to be starting some night works around the Samford Rd level crossing.

mufreight

Quote from: Golliwog on June 01, 2011, 22:08:30 PM
Quote from: Simon on June 01, 2011, 21:25:24 PM

The Mincom building? Thats not that old though. And I believe QR had input on that as it would obviously impact on their tracks. It was back before the split though so perhaps the old QR didn't care so much about slowing the passenger trains a bit.

The problem predates the construction of the Minicom Building back to early steam days and the supports for the Edward Street road bridge.

Jonno

Derwan

I haven't noticed any ongoing restrictions unless they've changed the actual speed boards.  Services don't appear to be going any slower - except for times (such as in recent days) that there have been temporary restrictions in place.

I'd say the temporary restrictions are for when there is slight subsidence (there has been on a few occasions) until repair crews can get in to fix it up.
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

Derwan

Scroll up to mufreight's earlier post, which gives a very good explanation.

petey3801

Quote from: Derwan on June 04, 2011, 10:45:00 AM

I haven't noticed any ongoing restrictions unless they've changed the actual speed boards.  Services don't appear to be going any slower - except for times (such as in recent days) that there have been temporary restrictions in place.

I'd say the temporary restrictions are for when there is slight subsidence (there has been on a few occasions) until repair crews can get in to fix it up.

The speed between Eagle Junction (well, Airport Junction is closer) and Toombul (up to the corner on the north side of Toombul station) used to be 100km/h, but this was changed to 50km/h when the Airport Link work started. Hopefully when the Airport link works are complete and the track fixed up again, the speed might return to 100km/h...

p858snake

Last week wise, there appeared to be another one in between Toombul and EJ.

Derwan

Quote from: p858snake on August 11, 2011, 17:39:02 PM

It's the same one... and has been there for a couple of months now.  Saw the timelapse on Channel 7 the other night - with them pushing the tunnel structure under the line.  I'm guessing this is why it's been reduced right down to 25.  Hopefully it'll go back up again soon - and hopefully back to 100 when it's all done.  :)

Cam

Quote from: ozbob on May 19, 2011, 07:51:47 AM

Useful.  Noted the restriction yesterday on the down main Taringa on the down express.  Wonder what the issue is?

Does anyone know when the problem causing the speed restriction near Taringa will be fixed?

Jonno

Only when we are finished building our 'world-class' road system and co Geri aged ourselves on removing all congestion.    >:D

Mr X

Quote from: Derwan on August 11, 2011, 19:16:33 PM
Quote from: p858snake on August 11, 2011, 17:39:02 PM

It's the same one... and has been there for a couple of months now.  Saw the timelapse on Channel 7 the other night - with them pushing the tunnel structure under the line.  I'm guessing this is why it's been reduced right down to 25.  Hopefully it'll go back up again soon - and hopefully back to 100 when it's all done.  :)

How much do you wanna bet it stays at 80 or 90 (just like speed reductions on upgraded roads etc...)!
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

mufreight

Quote from: Cam on August 12, 2011, 08:47:41 AM
Quote from: ozbob on May 19, 2011, 07:51:47 AM

Does anyone know when the problem causing the speed restriction near Taringa will be fixed?
Possibly will be fixed in the next maintenance shutdown, because the curve leading into the restriction is only a 50 kph curve the 25kph speed restriction has negligible impact on the overall running times and the express services are readily able to maintain the timetables.

somebody

Quote from: Simon on May 21, 2011, 09:58:46 AM
There is now a 15km/h restriction (down from 25km/h) for the Park Rd->Dutton Park divergent points.
Both of these restrictions are still present.  >6 months to fix a temporary speed restriction?  That's POOR!

Quote from: mufreight on August 12, 2011, 11:50:17 AM
Possibly will be fixed in the next maintenance shutdown, because the curve leading into the restriction is only a 50 kph curve the 25kph speed restriction has negligible impact on the overall running times and the express services are readily able to maintain the timetables.
I'd expect it costs the best part of a minute or so.  It's only not an issue for maintaining the timetable because the timetable is slack.
Traversing 200m @ 25km/h takes 28.8s, so you are losing 14.4s minimum, but there is also lost time for acceleration and deceleration.

petey3801

Quote from: Simon on September 15, 2011, 09:01:26 AM
Both of these restrictions are still present.  >6 months to fix a temporary speed restriction?  That's POOR!

Not sure what the problem at Taringa is (whether it can be fixed without a closedown or not) but the Park Road restriction is something that's going to need a closedown I think. Hasn't been a Roma Street - Park Road shutdown for quite some time now... It has been reduced now to only Beenleigh/Gold Coast bound trains, trains to/from Cleveland line are no longer affected.

Arnz

A large section between Beerburrum and Glasshouse Mountains is 25 km/h (the speed restriction beforehand was 40km/h).  Usual speed signs is 80km/h.

There are also 40km/h speed restriction signs at sections between Caboolture and Petrie.

All circumstances are due to the recent trackwork not quite being completed.  Seen a lot of wooden and metal sleepers in the bins (at least they cleaned that up in most areas).
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

ozbob

Redbank UP and DOWN, not sure if this permanent, it might have been for the weekend only.  Track gang around.
Observed a couple of full coalies crawl through ...

Photographs R Dow 1st October 2011

Arnz

Part of the Glasshouse-Beerburrum alignment with speed restrictions has been lifted this morning.  It is now stop-start like as a result (fast... SLOW.... fast... SLOW... fast).

They really need a short trackwork shutdown on this section to clean the trackworks up (and possibly raise the temporary restricted areas from 25km/h to at least 40km/h after the cleanup).
Rgds,
Arnz

somebody

Apparently fixed now.

🡱 🡳