• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Fare gates Nerang and Coomera

Started by ozbob, May 17, 2011, 17:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1298527358

Nerang train station fare gate installation

On Monday 16 May, construction will start on fare gates at Nerang train station.

TransLink and Queensland Rail appreciate your patience and cooperation during construction as we work to build a better station.

=================

http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1304401923

Coomera train station fare gate installation

On Monday 16 May, construction will start on fare gates at Coomera train station.

TransLink and Queensland Rail appreciate your patience and cooperation during construction as we work to build a better station.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  Twitter

SurfRail

Work has commenced downstairs at Nerang.

It is not immediately clear to me where the gates are going to be deployed and how they are going to manage things with the ticket office being upstairs.  At a station like Nerang with plenty of people wandering around who have virtually just come off a plane and whose English ain't necessarily so good, a staff presence is quite important.
Ride the G:

ozbob

Fare gates at Nerang operational Monday.

ozbob

http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1298527476

Nerang station - new fare gates

From Monday 4 July, all fare gates at Nerang station will be operational.

Paper ticket holders now need to show their ticket to staff to be let through.

go card users can use the fare gates by touching on or touching off.

TransLink and Queensland Rail appreciate your patience and cooperation throughout construction.

SurfRail

This is going to be interesting.  The fare machine has been moved downstairs, but the ticket office remains upstairs.  When I spoke to the TransLink staff on-hand on Friday morning, they indicated that to buy a go-card, you will have to ask to be let through - and effectively promise that you will go and buy a card.  When asked why all machines on the network could not be upgraded to dispense go-cards like the busway ones, I got no answer.

:conf
Ride the G:

Golliwog

I haven't been to Nerang station in a long long time. Which one is upstairs, the platforms or the concourse?

I think they're now only putting out machines that can dispense card (correct me if I'm wrong on that), but the existing older models that don't dispense cards still work fine so it would be a bit of a waste to turf them just to replace them with a card dispensing one. That said perhaps they could switch them around a bit so that the non-card dispensing machines are always somewhere where theres another one that does dispense cards nearby or next to it. I'm thinking like how theres the row of machines outside Central, have say 2 that will dispense cards for those who need them and the rest can be the older ones that don't. Though Central is probably a bad example as theres the ticket office and newsagent right there that can give you a go card too, but you get the picture.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

mufreight

Quote from: SurfRail on July 03, 2011, 09:06:41 AM
This is going to be interesting.  The fare machine has been moved downstairs, but the ticket office remains upstairs.  When I spoke to the TransLink staff on-hand on Friday morning, they indicated that to buy a go-card, you will have to ask to be let through - and effectively promise that you will go and buy a card.  When asked why all machines on the network could not be upgraded to dispense go-cards like the busway ones, I got no answer.

:conf

It would seem from the espoused attitude by Translink, rembering that actions speak louder than words, that there is a minimal approach to customer service.
It borders on stupidity that there is no assess to the ticket office external to the area closed off by the fare gates, how then without breaching the requirements of Translink's own operating proceedures can commuters access the ticket office either to purchase a ticket, Go Card or make and enquiry.  Obviously this is in keeping with what appears to be Translink policy to make Public Transport as user unfriendly as possible to deter usage.  The question that must arise from this is this, is it the intent of Translink to remove ticket offices from stations using the justification that they are not sufficently used because to intending commuters are unable to access them.

somebody

Perhaps they have a plan to close the ticket office.

mufreight

Quote from: Simon on July 03, 2011, 13:32:36 PM
Perhaps they have a plan to close the ticket office.

Methinks you could well be right.  So much for customer service.

Golliwog

There will be a staff member on the gate though who could answer questions and help them use the ticket machine if they have issues.

Does make the ticket office a bit pointless though unless buying a ticket at the end of a journey or topping up before you leave the station.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

evanonthegc

There is a long-abandoned information booth next to the kiosk.

It currently is covered in community artwork (not graffiti).

I don't see why QR/Translink can't restart using this booth for ticket sales.

Would also be nice if the long-unused electronic bus notification sign was started up again as well :-)

Evan :->

ozbob

Welcome Evan!  Thanks, good points ...

STB

Ah excellent.  I now have an excuse to head down to the Gold Coast.  Might see if I can fit it in sometime next week if I manage to stop being pulled by different people wanting me. :D

SurfRail

Gates were not active as of this morning, I presume switch-on will occur during the day.
Ride the G:

ozbob

Twitter

612brisbane ABC Radio Brisbane
From tomorrow, fare gates at Coomera train station will be operational. Paper ticket holders can show ticket to staff to be let through.
1 hour ago

ozbob

http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/bulletin/1297120789

Coomera station - new fare gates

From Monday 25 July, fare gates at Coomera train station will be operational.
go card users

go card users can use the fare gates by touching on or touching off.
Paper ticket holders

Paper ticket holders will need to show their ticket to station staff to be let through.

TransLink and Queensland Rail appreciate your patience and cooperation.

ozbob

Transport and Multicultural Affairs
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Shutting the gate on fare evasion

TransLink is continuing its campaign against fare evasion with the installation of new go card fare gates at Coomera station on the Gold Coast train line.

Transport Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk said the new gates would act as a further deterrent to fare evaders, who cost TransLink an estimated $18 million each year.

This follows the successful installation of similar go card fare gates at nearby Nerang train station earlier this month.

"The new fare gates at Coomera station will help reduce fare evasion, with all customers needing to use their go card or have their paper ticket verified by station staff to gain access to and from station platforms," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"All passengers will be catered for with a combination of regular and wider width gates to suit passengers in a wheelchair or with luggage.

"Coomera station has five regular gates and two wider gates."

Ms Palaszczuk said when similar measures were introduced at Central station last year, fare revenue rose by an estimated $40,000 per week or more than $2 million per year.

"Since then, we have continued to roll out fare gates at other stations on the train network and the combined capture of evaded fares for these stations is also about $40,000 per week.

"This is money that can now go back into the public transport network for enhancing services."

More than 1100 passengers use Coomera station daily during the morning and afternoon peaks.

For more information regarding the facilities available at stations, visit the TransLink website www.translink.com.au, or phone the Call Centre on 13 12 30, anytime.

SurfRail

These seem to be working well enough at Nerang after observing them in operation for a while now.  The fact there are 4 gates at one set of stairs and 6 at the other is itself a massive improvement over the 4 SACIDs in total that were installed previously.

Interestingly, when I passed by in a railbus on the weekend, it appears that the concourse at Coomera has been completely blocked off  - 4 gates on the western (bus interchange) side, 3 on the other.  No doubt possible because the ticket office is located downstairs and there is pedestrian access between the 2 carparks without having to use the concourse, which is not possible at Nerang.
Ride the G:

­čí▒ ­čí│