• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Article: Brisbane bus services boosted

Started by ozbob, May 17, 2011, 06:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

From the Brisbanetimes click here!

Brisbane bus services boosted

QuoteBrisbane bus services boosted
Daniel Hurst
May 17, 2011 - 5:35AM

Brisbane commuters heading to the University of Queensland, New Farm and southside suburbs will gain more frequent bus services from next month.

Under changes coinciding with new train timetables on several rail lines, the state government will fund extra services on five popular Brisbane Transport bus routes.

The measures will see two existing routes – 196 (New Farm to Fairfield via the CBD) and 120 (Upper Mt Gravatt to CBD) – converted to high-frequency commutes.

This means passengers should never have to wait more than 10 minutes for a bus in peak times or 15 minutes in off-peak times including weekends and public holidays.

"Turn-up-and-go" services will also be available to commuters transferring from the Indooroopilly railway station to UQ at St Lucia.

Transport Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk said people making this trip would have a bus at least every 10 minutes in peak times or 15 minutes in off-peak times on either route 427, 428 or 432.

"This package recognises that Indooroopilly train station will become an even more important hub in the network as it forms part of the new simplified express train stopping pattern," she said in a statement.

Ms Palaszczuk said the extra services would result in an extra 47,000 bus seats being available to commuters on the network each week.

A TransLink spokesman said minor changes would be made to other route timetables but there would not be a reduction in services.

He said New Farm's 196 and 197 routes would be combined into one route as part of the overhaul.

However, boosting 196 to a high-frequency route would still result in an extra 19,000 seats being available to New Farm each week, he said.

Ms Palaszczuk said TransLink consulted with the New Farm community about the restructure and the feedback was "overwhelmingly positive".

She said changes would take effect on June 6, when sweeping timetables changes on the Rosewood, Ipswich, Caboolture and Sunshine Coast railway lines would make an additional 150,000 seats available to customers on train services each week.

"This Brisbane bus package, together with the new train timetables will be the most significant enhancement to our network ever," she said.

"It delivers the final piece of our commitment to add an additional 305,000 weekly seats to the network in the current financial year, on top of the 300,000 additional weekly seats added last year."

The changes

Routes 196, 197

Route 197 (New Farm-City-Fairfield Gardens) will be amalgamated into the similar Route 196 (New Farm-City-Fairfield).
    Route 196 will become high-frequency with services every 10 minutes for a bus in peak times or 15 minutes in off-peak times including weekends and public holidays.
    The government says this will result in an extra 19,000 bus seats each week on this corridor.

Route 120

This route, connecting Upper Mt Gravatt to the CBD, will become high-frequency with services every 10 minutes for a bus in peak times or 15 minutes in off-peak times including weekends and public holidays.
    The government says this will result in an extra 19,000 bus seats each week on this corridor, meeting growth around Coopers Plains, Annerley, Salisbury, Tarragindi and Nathan.

Routes 427, 428, 432

A bus on one of these routes between Indooroopilly station and the University of Queensland will leave every 10 minutes in peak times or 15 minutes in off-peak times on weekdays.
    However, services on Saturdays will be every 30 minutes and on Sundays every hour.
    The government says this will result in an extra 9000 bus seats each week on this corridor.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-bus-services-boosted-20110516-1epnz.html#ixzz1MY0ETCKX
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

mufreight

Where is the interchange between rail and bus for these increased frequency bus services from Indooroopilly and UQ St Lucia to take place, the present locations of bus stops are considerably inconvenient and less than apparent to potential users with a total lack of signage to direct intending passengers.
Another Translink failing brought to your attention by the (commuter) frindly people at RBoT   :-t

somebody

Quote from: mufreight on May 17, 2011, 07:54:46 AM
Where is the interchange between rail and bus for these increased frequency bus services from Indooroopilly and UQ St Lucia to take place, the present locations of bus stops are considerably inconvenient and less than apparent to potential users with a total lack of signage to direct intending passengers.
Another Translink failing brought to your attention by the (commuter) frindly people at RBoT   :-t
It's on Lambert Rd, which made sense back when the subway was the only entrance.  It doesn't make so much sense anymore.  Westminster Rd would be better IMO and avoid the need to use Central Av which is particularly noticeable for the 427.  Services away from UQ could use Clarence Rd if that is better.

Fair point about the missing signage.  Signage provided at Toowong is seriously lacking also.  They display "High St buses" or "Benson St buses".  How are you supposed to know which one you want, if you need the sign?

O_128

Last time I checked every 15 minutes is not exactly turn up and go, more turn up stand around for 10 minutes and then go.

While the 196 BUZ is good I feel that the 120 is a bit of a waste. Where is the 245 BUZ or increased frequency along the eastern corridor. Also is something going to be done about the 88? At least moving its stop at indro would triple patronage.
"Where else but Queensland?"

colinw

The 15 minute BUZ service that runs along Padstow Rd near my work is best characterised as "turn up and hope" thanks to the Class C ROW and congestion on Warrigal Rd.  I have waited for well over half an hour for a bus there.

somebody

Quote from: O_128 on May 17, 2011, 08:31:35 AM
While the 196 BUZ is good I feel that the 120 is a bit of a waste. Where is the 245 BUZ or increased frequency along the eastern corridor. Also is something going to be done about the 88? At least moving its stop at indro would triple patronage.
Ever used the 120?  Used it in the middle of the day on a Saturday, and around 2/3 seated load.  With growth on every other BUZ route, this one may well be quite busy.  I also expect the Garden City-Griffith Uni/Nathan link to be quite useful for 170/174/175/180/184/185 pax to interchange.

mufreight

Quote from: O_128 on May 17, 2011, 08:31:35 AM
Last time I checked every 15 minutes is not exactly turn up and go, more turn up stand around for 10 minutes and then go.

Moving the stop is one part of the story but letting people know where it is and what services operate through it would be equaly if not more crucal to service usage.

somebody

Quote from: colinw on May 17, 2011, 08:39:13 AM
The 15 minute BUZ service that runs along Padstow Rd near my work is best characterised as "turn up and hope" thanks to the Class C ROW and congestion on Warrigal Rd.  I have waited for well over half an hour for a bus there.
You aren't the only person to report this.  The route is very long, and congestion on Beaudesert Rd, Gowan Rd, Logan Rd near Garden City or Warrigal Rd can impact it.  I think it should be broken up into Warrigal Rd/Stretton route and a Gateway/Gowan Rd route, both BUZed.

colinw

Agreed.  That route is far too long and "milk run" like in character once it leaves the busway.  Taking half an hour or more through suburban streets (even relatively major ones like Warrigal Road) dilutes the benefit of the fast run on the busway.

Of course, if Beenleigh line rail was frequent enough, and we had rail down the interstate corridor, there would be no need to have bus routes from that far south west running to the busway except as cross-town routes.

ozbob

All welcome ...  God bless Indroo rail and all who sail in her!

ozbob

Quote"This package recognises that Indooroopilly train station will become an even more important hub in the network as it forms part of the new simplified express train stopping pattern," she said in a statement.

Great pity the planners didn't listen to the advice offered so freely a number of years ago now to incorporate proper bus interchange, as the redesign of Indooroopilly railway station was being considered.   Goes down as one of the great transport failures in Brisbane in the recent era ...

mufreight

Quote from: ozbob on May 17, 2011, 13:30:39 PM
Quote"This package recognises that Indooroopilly train station will become an even more important hub in the network as it forms part of the new simplified express train stopping pattern," she said in a statement.

Great pity the planners didn't listen to the advice offered so freely a number of years ago now to incorporate proper bus interchange, as the redesign of Indooroopilly railway station was being considered.   Goes down as one of the great transport failures in Brisbane in the recent era ...

Suggestions were made pointing out this failing and possible means of resolving the problems which those responsible chose to ignore.
Is any further comment needed?

somebody

Quote from: mufreight on May 17, 2011, 15:23:33 PM
Is any further comment needed?
I think not, FWIW.

I can't imagine something like that being belted in the media or receiving much public support, so why waste ammo on it?

ozbob

Blog comment:

QuoteThe bus service at peak times from Toowong station is already Turn Up and Go. And it works brilliantly! But of course the new train timetable doesn't have a direct train from any station before Darra that stops at Toowong. That would make too much sense!
Now we'll all be forced to get off at Indooroopilly or Darra. And if we get off at Indooroopilly the bus stop there doesn't have a shelter like the big one at Toowong so I hope you all have unbrellas! Way to go QR and Translink! How dumb are you lot!?!

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-bus-services-boosted-20110516-1epnz.html#ixzz1MaP9uxbJ

ozbob

Some feedback received, thanks.

QuoteI would like to express my heartfelt disappointment and anger at the new train timetable.  I, like many other users of the trains from stations between Rosewood and Darra, catch my my morning train direct to Toowong station where I am able, during peak times, to turn up at the bus station and be assured that I will be on a bus and on my away to the University of Queensland within about 10 minutes.  It works seemlessly!  And yet the new timetable has no direct train to Toowong!  Given how busy this station is, it simply does not make any sense.  I am aware that Translink intends to put additional busses on the 427, 428 and 432 routes that stop at the Indooroopilly station stop but this doesn't make it any more attractive as the Indooroopilly station stop has no bus shelter, very little seating and large numbers of primary and highschool students who barge past commuters waiting there every morning and afternoon.

Would it really have been so hard to include one additional stop on the peak trains at Toowong? I hope that Rail Back on Track can encourage Translink and QR to think of the impact this will have on the users of these services and revise this decision. 
I can see this having a negative impact on the number of people using the train services from the stations prior to Darra which would be a very bad thing indeed.  Whether QR knows it or not the Brisbane CBD is not the only place people from Ipswich go on the train! I can see this having a negative impact on the number of people using the train services from the stations prior to Darra which would be a very bad thing indeed.  We don't need any *more* cars on the roads!

#Metro

I wonder if they could make 427, 428 and 432 all follow the same corridor. At the moment they all split up even though they are travelling to Indooroopilly!

432 could become a non-stop rocket between UQ and Indooroopilly station, with stops thereafter
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

somebody

Quote from: tramtrain on May 17, 2011, 16:01:22 PM
I wonder if they could make 427, 428 and 432 all follow the same corridor. At the moment they all split up even though they are travelling to Indooroopilly!

432 could become a non-stop rocket between UQ and Indooroopilly station, with stops thereafter
I say no to the 432 & 428, but yes to the 427 and 428.  The current Central Ave/Clarence Rd split of the 427 & 428 is completely illogical.  However, I do see a need for the Lambert Rd service of the 432 as well as the Swann Rd service of the 428.  I don't see a need for service on both Central Ave and Clarence Rd.  In fact, the 427 could use Lambert Rd like the 432 which is marginally faster, although I do wonder if Westminster Rd/Clarence Rd/Swann Rd wouldn't be faster than Westminster Rd/Lambert Rd/Indooroopilly Rd.

david

Yes, I think one of those routes should be made non-stop Indooroopilly to UQ. The 427 is probably the best candidate, as it follows the same route as the 428. IMO, I'll still go to Toowong to get the bus into UQ because some of the hills that the 427/428/432 negotiate can make me very nauseous. :D

Good news all round though! Now to see what happens with the feeder routes at Richlands/Darra/Oxley/Corinda.

Golliwog

I thought one of the 427/428 already was non-stop from Indro? IIRC it says something on the map on the timetable.

EDIT: Just checked.

http://translink.com.au/resources/travel-information/services-and-timetables/timetables/100726_427,428,432.pdf

Note: Route 427 runs Express between the University of Queensland and Swann Rd/Clarence Rd (X). All trips stop at Ironside school during school term. See timetable for full details.

Note: Route 432 runs Express between Swann Rd/Indooroopilly Rd (X) and the University of Queensland. Selected trips stop at Ironside school. See timetable for full details.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#Metro

It's not express all the way to Indooroopilly station.

The 427/428 "split" has to go as well. STEAM IRON FULL BLAST!!!
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

BrizCommuter

Quote from: ozbob on May 17, 2011, 15:55:42 PM

QuoteI would like to express my heartfelt disappointment and anger at the new train timetable.  I, like many other users of the trains from stations between Rosewood and Darra, catch my my morning train direct to Toowong station where I am able, during peak times, to turn up at the bus station and be assured that I will be on a bus and on my away to the University of Queensland within about 10 minutes.  It works seemlessly!  And yet the new timetable has no direct train to Toowong!  Given how busy this station is, it simply does not make any sense.  I am aware that Translink intends to put additional busses on the 427, 428 and 432 routes that stop at the Indooroopilly station stop but this doesn't make it any more attractive as the Indooroopilly station stop has no bus shelter, very little seating and large numbers of primary and highschool students who barge past commuters waiting there every morning and afternoon.

Would it really have been so hard to include one additional stop on the peak trains at Toowong? I hope that Rail Back on Track can encourage Translink and QR to think of the impact this will have on the users of these services and revise this decision. 
I can see this having a negative impact on the number of people using the train services from the stations prior to Darra which would be a very bad thing indeed.  Whether QR knows it or not the Brisbane CBD is not the only place people from Ipswich go on the train! I can see this having a negative impact on the number of people using the train services from the stations prior to Darra which would be a very bad thing indeed.  We don't need any *more* cars on the roads!

Would this person then complain about overcrowding on the Ipswich expresses caused by all of those extra passengers to/from Milton if it was to be served?

BrizCommuter is starting to think that some Ipswich/Caboolture/Richlands Line users cannot be pleased - they will have a peak train every 6-12mins. Suburban lines users can only dream of this sort of half-decent peak service!

SurfRail

Has it occurred to anybody at BT that the 402 could probably just be linked to one of the UQ-Indooroopilly routes to form a BUZ coordinating with trains until late night?

I see little reason to have the western legs of the 427/428/432 feeding directly into UQ - frequency and on-time running could be improved if the legs west of Indooroopilly interchange were rationalised along with the rest of the western suburbs routes.
Ride the G:

somebody

Quote from: SurfRail on May 17, 2011, 21:01:32 PM
Has it occurred to anybody at BT that the 402 could probably just be linked to one of the UQ-Indooroopilly routes to form a BUZ coordinating with trains until late night?
I don't see what you are trying to achieve with that one.

Quote from: BrizCommuter on May 17, 2011, 20:54:26 PM
Would this person then complain about overcrowding on the Ipswich expresses caused by all of those extra passengers to/from Milton if it was to be served?

BrizCommuter is starting to think that some Ipswich/Caboolture/Richlands Line users cannot be pleased - they will have a peak train every 6-12mins. Suburban lines users can only dream of this sort of half-decent peak service!
Given that they would complain "If the timetable is changed, my train will come at a different time!", I think such whinging can be readily dismissed.

Fares_Fair

Quote from: Simon on May 18, 2011, 08:13:10 AM
Quote from: SurfRail on May 17, 2011, 21:01:32 PM

Quote from: BrizCommuter on May 17, 2011, 20:54:26 PM

Given that they would complain "If the timetable is changed, my train will come at a different time!", I think such whinging can be readily dismissed.

For the record, Caboolture (weekdays) has 6 minute frequency from 6:42am through to 7:24am, thats 42 minutes worth of high frequency - this is very much welcomed all the same.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

somebody

Quote from: Fares_Fair on May 18, 2011, 08:45:16 AM
For the record, Caboolture (weekdays) has 6 minute frequency from 6:42am through to 7:24am, thats 42 minutes worth of high frequency - this is very much welcomed all the same.
As I've mentioned many a time, I'd rather a 3 minute journey time saving and a 9 minute frequency if it were me.

However, I don't see what point you are trying to make here??

Fares_Fair

Sorry, I wasnt very clear.
I was merely responding to Briz's comments about the frequency of Caboolture services, and their extent thus;
"For the record, Caboolture (weekdays) has 6 minute frequency from 6:42am through to 7:24am, thats 42 minutes worth of high frequency - this is very much welcomed all the same."

Regards,
Fares_fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on May 18, 2011, 08:13:10 AM

The objective is probably very oblique but to put it plainly - reduce the need for layover space at Chancellor's Place, and tighten scheduling on both legs.  With 2 services of comparable frequency both terminating there, you have wasteful duplication, particularly where everybody empties off at UQ anyway.  Just keep the thing running and you might be able to save a bus or 2, which can be reinvested.
Ride the G:

ozbob

Just went for my final run on a 197 at New Farm.  Seems to be a popular bus

196 Adelaide St

197 New Farm

Photographs R Dow 18th May 2011

Cam

Quote from: ozbob on May 17, 2011, 15:55:42 PM

QuoteI would like to express my heartfelt disappointment and anger at the new train timetable.  I, like many other users of the trains from stations between Rosewood and Darra, catch my my morning train direct to Toowong station where I am able, during peak times, to turn up at the bus station and be assured that I will be on a bus and on my away to the University of Queensland within about 10 minutes.  It works seemlessly!  And yet the new timetable has no direct train to Toowong!  Given how busy this station is, it simply does not make any sense.  I am aware that Translink intends to put additional busses on the 427, 428 and 432 routes that stop at the Indooroopilly station stop but this doesn't make it any more attractive as the Indooroopilly station stop has no bus shelter, very little seating and large numbers of primary and highschool students who barge past commuters waiting there every morning and afternoon.

I can see this having a negative impact on the number of people using the train services from the stations prior to Darra which would be a very bad thing indeed.  Whether QR knows it or not the Brisbane CBD is not the only place people from Ipswich go on the train! I can see this having a negative impact on the number of people using the train services from the stations prior to Darra which would be a very bad thing indeed.  We don't need any *more* cars on the roads!

The 6 inbound express services during the AM peak departing Darra between 7.15am & 7.45am have an all stations service leaving 1 minute afterwards. Therefore, during this half hour there is only 1 minute added to the trip compared to having a direct all stations service. If the service from Ipswich is late to Darra, the commuter can change at Indooroopilly where it should have easily caught up to the all stations service.

Unfortunately, the preceeding half hour & the couple of services at the end of the peak period have a poorer frequency so there is a longer wait at either Darra or Indooroopilly. Likewise, outbound in the afternoon there are longer waits due to less frequent services.

It's a similiar situation for those wanting to travel from any of the Gold Coast stations to Loganlea in the AM peak period. A decision was made to skip Loganlea in peak periods. BTW, Loganlea has the Logan Hospital & TAFE campus near the railway station & the Logan campus of Griffith University within walking distance for those unaware of this.

somebody

You would change at Indooroopilly in any case as it isn't like a cross platform interchange would be available at Darra, and there is always a possibility of picking up an earlier late running all stopper.

Quote from: SurfRail on May 18, 2011, 11:41:21 AM
The objective is probably very oblique but to put it plainly - reduce the need for layover space at Chancellor's Place, and tighten scheduling on both legs.  With 2 services of comparable frequency both terminating there, you have wasteful duplication, particularly where everybody empties off at UQ anyway.  Just keep the thing running and you might be able to save a bus or 2, which can be reinvested.
Ok, but is there surplus layover capacity at the Toowong end of the 402?

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on May 18, 2011, 13:44:15 PM
Ok, but is there surplus layover capacity at the Toowong end of the 402?

402 gets reasonably frequent even now, so I'd say so.

If you were doing this, it would be with the 412 in the background, so perhaps it could run non-stop from Toowong to UQ to even out loadings.
Ride the G:

#Metro

I don't like 402.
It has too many bus stops and few people use those extra stops. I reckon they should just close the intermediate stops and have 402 and 412 stopping the same stops.

SurfRail

Quote from: tramtrain on May 18, 2011, 15:12:23 PM
I don't like 402.
It has too many bus stops and few people use those extra stops. I reckon they should just close the intermediate stops and have 402 and 412 stopping the same stops.

Certainly some express running is needed. 

412s are well loaded by the time they get to Toowong, which is why I suggested that it just run non-stop to UQ once hitting Toowong, leaving the 402 to pick up the extra patronage as an express starting right there and serving the current 412 stops. 

St Lucia South would be on the amalgamated 402/428/432 which allows 412s to terminate at UQ - there would be adequate room without the 402s and Indooroopilly services terminating there.

The stops are very densely placed on all bus routes in the St Lucia area and should be reviewed generally.
Ride the G:

somebody

Best solution would be replacing the 411/412 with an all stops loop in both directions, and making the 402 a non stop shuttle and an 8tph frequency at Toowong, but we know that isn't happening.

#Metro

Quote412s are well loaded by the time they get to Toowong, which is why I suggested that it just run non-stop to UQ once hitting Toowong, leaving the 402 to pick up the extra patronage as an express starting right there and serving the current 412 stops.

St Lucia South would be on the amalgamated 402/428/432 which allows 412s to terminate at UQ - there would be adequate room without the 402s and Indooroopilly services terminating there.

The stops are very densely placed on all bus routes in the St Lucia area and should be reviewed generally.

My thoughts were the opposite to this--

1. 402 Rocket between Toowong and UQ
2. BUZ 412 kept as is
3. Remove all 402 'in between' stops.

SurfRail

Quote from: tramtrain on May 18, 2011, 17:05:00 PM
My thoughts were the opposite to this--

1. 402 Rocket between Toowong and UQ
2. BUZ 412 kept as is
3. Remove all 402 'in between' stops.

Might have to take your word for it, but a priori I would have thought 412s will start getting terribly packed leaving Toowong with patronage already loaded up from the city and Coro Drive, leading to overcrowding along Sir Fred Schonell Drive. 

Doing it the way I suggested would ensure adequate capacity for people en route who are doing the sensible thing by living closer, but just out of comfortable walking distance. 
Ride the G:

#Metro

I think it is important that the 412 stop at all express stops in St Lucia as that originates in the CBD and carries workers, not just students.

The 402 is more of a student/relief service- it is a bit slower because you get the 1 person at the rarely used bus stop, they should just axe the intermediate stops. I'd be happy with a 402 doing only the 412 stops to Toowong, axe the extra stops OR rocket 402 to relieve the 412 service.

Golliwog

I don't see what the problem with leaving the 402 and the 412 as they are is. They work well together. Yes the 402 does stop at some little stops, but in the scheme of things, does that really matter? It's a very short route, its not like travel time is a real worry. Besides, more often than not its just the 1 bus running it. I don't think they even switch the desto over anymore, it just reads something like "UQ-Toowong Loop" IIRC.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Golliwog

Oh, and an additional annoucement RE:427/428/432 from Translink. They plan on changing the outbound route through Indooroopilly to serve what they called Indro platform "E" I think. Which they're about to start building on the other side of Station Rd from the existing interchange. They cite capacity issues in the existing interchange as the reason for this, but point out that UQ bound buses will still serve the same stop as they do currently.

somebody

Quote from: Golliwog on May 18, 2011, 21:16:05 PM
Oh, and an additional annoucement RE:427/428/432 from Translink. They plan on changing the outbound route through Indooroopilly to serve what they called Indro platform "E" I think. Which they're about to start building on the other side of Station Rd from the existing interchange. They cite capacity issues in the existing interchange as the reason for this, but point out that UQ bound buses will still serve the same stop as they do currently.
This part doesn't make any sense to me.  If there seriously are issues with Indooroopilly C, which I have never noticed in 3 years of using Indoroopilly interchange (it is rare for there to be two buses at the stop simultaneously, although it couldn't cope with 3, I guess), then why not remove the 414 and 415 to stop 24?

🡱 🡳