• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Questions on Notice : Why doesn't the Government answer them ?

Started by Fares_Fair, April 28, 2011, 21:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fares_Fair

I am deeply concerned by the State Governments inability or refusal to PROPERLY answer simple direct questions put to it by opposition members.
This is a significant issue that cuts to the heart of our government system.
I refer, of course, to this post below:
http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=5732.0

Our government system is being undermined by one of the most basic tenets of the Westminster system.
That is the provision of an effective opposition as a balance to the power wielded by government under Queensland's single cameral system.
Queensland has no upper house (Senate). The traditional independant reviewer of legislation and Government actions.

This is not the first time.
Peter Wellington MP, Member for Nicklin also put a QoN (Question on Notice) to the Government regarding paper tickets (whether they would be retained) back in 2008 on my behalf.
It also received an answer that was irrelevant to the question.

When Government's of any persuasion do not have to answer legitimate questions put to them by opposition members of Parliament,
where is the open and accountable Government that we hear proclaimed by the Premier?

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

There is no house of review in Queensland, and even the current Speaker of the House and former speakers are very concerned with the lastest moves to further distort the Westminister Parliamentary system.  The present Government doesn't seem to understand how detached they are becoming from the electorate, and having an ineffectual opposition doesn't help either.  Not answering questions directly is just another manisfestation of a parliamentary democracy off the rails ...
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

🡱 🡳