• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

[GCB] Sky-high growth for light rail corridor

Started by SurfRail, June 27, 2011, 11:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurfRail

Full version of the graphic is here: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/uploads2/GCB_Transit_map_light_rail.pdf

Quote from: Gold Coast Bulletin

Sky-high growth for light rail corridor
Matthew Killoran   |  June 27th, 2011

SOUTHPORT to Broadbeach could be transformed into high-population, high-rise business centres by 2031 to take advantage of the Gold Coast light rail system.

But as the population bulges, it will put more pressure on already stressed services.

Dense CBDs are being planned, mixing commercial, retail and residential, to maximise the potential benefits of the what the Gold Coast Rapid Transit could do for the city, according to the council's sustainable city future committee boss Cr Peter Young.

Goldcoast.com.au has been given an exclusive look at preliminary documents for the council's long-term planning study for the light rail corridor.

Increasing density in the unlimited height zones of Surfers Paradise, 40-storey height limits down Nerang St, Southport, and more high rises in Broadbeach are on the cards.

Footpaths, cycleways and green bridges will be used to encourage links between stations and surrounding streets.

It is not just areas directly along the route expected to be given a construction boost, with 15 storeys down Tedder Avenue, Main Beach, the same at parts of Thomas Drive, Chevron Island, and six-storey residential limits down Hooker Boulevard all in the works.

Cr Young said the State Government forecast the Gold Coast would need another 170,000 homes by 2031, with 70 per cent of that having to go in already developed areas.

He said the public transport provided along the light rail route meant Southport, Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach would be able to take a big chunk of that population.

"It has the potential to significantly assist in not only moving people but transforming how we live," Cr Young said.

He said the council would expand on the urban parks, while foothpaths and cycleways would pay an important part in linking stations with the surrounding communities.

The planning study will come before the council for endorsement prior to September, before being used to create future local area plans, which will go out for public consultation.

For more on this story, including a response from demographer Bernard Salt, see today's Gold Coast Bulletin.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/06/27/327705_gold-coast-news.html

Ride the G:

SurfRail

Just noticed the street level image in the graphic is of Eagle Street, not 200m from where I am sitting now...  ::)
Ride the G:

#Metro

I'm not a TMR. Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Hope so, the next tram will arrive in one minute and we mean it ...   ;)
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  Twitter

SurfRail

The more I think about it, the more I expect they will have grossly underestimated the number of vehicles required... here's hoping they spring for somewhere on the other side of 20 instead of the 15-16 planned initially.
Ride the G:

BrizCommuter

Quote from: SurfRail on June 27, 2011, 13:10:34 PM
The more I think about it, the more I expect they will have grossly underestimated the number of vehicles required... here's hoping they spring for somewhere on the other side of 20 instead of the 15-16 planned initially.

But this is Queensland. We don't need many trams for a half-hourly frequency!  ;)

colinw

Whingers are out in force on the Bulletin web site, I see.  :thsdo

SurfRail

Quote from: colinw on June 27, 2011, 17:37:23 PM
Whingers are out in force on the Bulletin web site, I see.  :thsdo

The battle is won though.  It is being built, people will use it, and the objectors with no sense of what the Gold Coast is actually and has always been about - entrepreneurialism and city-building - will crawl back into their burrows.  

Some of the more vocal opponents are actually absentee landlords or out-of-staters anyway, such as one who posts as "Michael" or "Michael Lane" (who also appears to  involved with a motoring advocacy group).

I find it really brightens my day that one of the few things TransLink is getting nearly 100% right is happening down my way, and that there is nothing these people can do about it.  :)
Ride the G:

­čí▒ ­čí│