• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Flood information - links

Started by ozbob, January 11, 2011, 08:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Treasurer and Minister for Employment and Economic Development
The Honourable Andrew Fraser
04/02/2011

Statement by Queensland Treasurer Andrew Fraser

Reinsurance arrangements in Queensland for natural disasters have nothing to do with the Commonwealth Government meeting its share of the costs of natural disasters, Treasurer Andrew Fraser said today.

"Questions about reinsurance raised over the past days relate to how Queensland funds its 25 per cent of the cost of natural disasters - not how the Commonwealth meets its obligations under the NDRRA," Mr Fraser said.

Mr Fraser said the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA) were exactly the same for all states and territories.

"Under the long-standing NDRRA between the states and the Commonwealth Government the Commonwealth funds 75 per cent of the cost while the state picks up the remaining 25 per cent," Mr Fraser said.

"This long-standing agreement between all governments provides a well established mechanism to meet costs from natural disasters."

Mr Fraser said he was unaware of any state having an insurance policy which would cover the scale of the disasters in Queensland.

"Claims that other states would be covered need checking - roads are generally excluded, while costs of local government are also not subject to any state insurance policy," Mr Fraser said.

"These costs amount to $4.5 billion of the estimated $5 billion in flood infrastructure damage."

Mr Fraser said that the Queensland Government Insurance Fund (QGIF) has provided extensive coverage for state government assets.

"This long-standing fund currently has more than $700 million in funds in reserves," Mr Fraser said.

"Each year premiums are set based on actuarial advice to provide insurance coverage.

"This fund meets claims for damage caused by fire, vandalism and other acts.

"The government does not reinsure the QGIF with a commercial reinsurer. Our fund has sufficient reserves to meet claims.

"That also means we are not paying taxpayer funds to pay large premiums to global reinsurance companies.

"Previous market soundings have indicated that it is not cost effective to insure our state in this manner given Queensland's history of natural disasters and the length of the state's road network."
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

#Metro

Lloyds of London?  :is-

The problem with commercial insurance is that it is only useful for events that are rare. You can't insure against the sun rising tomorrow, for example.
Natural Disasters happen in QLD almost every year, floods cut off roads and the rail lines almost every January.

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Minister for Transport
The Honourable Rachel Nolan
07/02/2011

School buses affected by cyclone

Cyclone Yasi has disrupted some school bus services in north Queensland and parents are being urged to check with their local operators before sending their children to school.

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan said the Queensland Government was working closely with school bus operators and Education Queensland to revise routes where necessary and ensure services were available to as many students as possible.

"Significant damage to roads, bridges and schools has forced the closure of some routes in north Queensland following Tropical Cyclone Yasi," Ms Nolan said.

"There are also diversions in place along some routes and I would encourage parents to check with their local bus operators on which services are available.

"Some operators are still experiencing telecommunications problems, so please be patient when trying to make contact."

Ms Nolan said a number of school bus operators also had their fleets impacted.

"My department is workin g hard to have all school bus services up and running as soon as possible," she said.

"It's vital that we get students back to school and settled with as little disruption as possible.

"Mums and Dads in cyclone-affected areas also need that assurance that their children can get safely to and from school while they continue with the heart-breaking work of getting their lives back to normal."

Some schools remain closed and parents should check with the Department of Education and Training (DET) for information.

Any students who are assisted under the School Transport Assistance Scheme and now need to attend their school from another location should contact the local Transport and Main Roads office if the new residence is not near their usual bus service. All efforts will be made to facilitate alternative arrangements without loss of assistance benefits.

Further information about the School Transport Assistance Scheme is available on the dep artment's website www.tmr.qld.gov.au./schooltransport.

==============================================================

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> Brisbane City Council's $400 million flood bill

The final sentences  caught my eye ..

QuoteMeanwhile, the man who has to find the money, Cr Schrinner, said almost every project would come under scrutiny.

"Everything is on the table as part of council's financial review," he said.

"With the exception of major job generators like the Legacy Way tunnel and the City Hall restoration."

LOL what a tragic mess ...  they cannot even manage a proper bus entry and exit, I would have though that CRR was a more important job generator than more silly road tunnels ...

#Metro

One would think that an LRT or BRT plan or Doomben Line construction and extension would also be major job generators.

I never really pay much attention to the "this project makes jobs" line that is trotted out all the time. In an economy where there is
as skills shortage and labour is scarce, a large government project will push up the prices of wages for these professions, and increase
the price such that private sector projects may have to be cut back or halted. So there might not be a net increase.

The second thing is that under public funding, there is also the burden of taxation to pay for these projects (be they road, rail or whatever)
and this causes a deadweight loss.

If the BCC were solely interested in just creating jobs, why not employ more people than necessary on the project? Or pay people
to dig holes around the city and pay other people to fill them up again. That "creates" jobs too.

I am continually amazed at how gullible the pollies think the public are...
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

colinw

Unbelievable.  QLD Government + Feds kill off (well, defer) a critically necessary bit of rail infrastructure.

BCC kills off anything but a toll road that is sure to be loss making, based on Clem 7 & soon Airport Link experience.

Not that I have heard a peep out of the council opposition about anything to do with transport policies.  Seems like its the Campbell Newman show, and what Campbell wants, Campbell gets.

As a resident of the far southside suburbs of Brisbane, Legacy Way is utterly irrelevant to my concerns, but it will be my rates going up when the thing goes pear shaped and fails to even cover its interest bill.

justanotheruser

Quote from: ozbob on February 07, 2011, 14:19:51 PM
Brisbanetimes --> Brisbane City Council's $400 million flood bill

The final sentences  caught my eye ..

QuoteMeanwhile, the man who has to find the money, Cr Schrinner, said almost every project would come under scrutiny.

"Everything is on the table as part of council's financial review," he said.

"With the exception of major job generators like the Legacy Way tunnel and the City Hall restoration."

LOL what a tragic mess ...  they cannot even manage a proper bus entry and exit, I would have though that CRR was a more important job generator than more silly road tunnels ...

why on earth would BCC be putting money into CRR project????  I have not heard that they were going to at all.  CRR is basically a state project with assistance from federal. BCC has nothing to do with it. If against all past practice it was contributing money then it was such a small amount that they would not be able to keep it going all by themselves. So being critical of BCC for not investing in CRR project is senseless and a waste of time.

#Metro

Quotewhy on earth would BCC be putting money into CRR project?  I have not heard that they were going to at all.  CRR is basically a state project with assistance from federal. BCC has nothing to do with it. If against all past practice it was contributing money then it was such a small amount that they would not be able to keep it going all by themselves. So being critical of BCC for not investing in CRR project is senseless and a waste of time.

Why on earth would BCC be putting money of $770 million dollars into a private company toll tunnel, so that it can make private profits for its investors.
That's what I want to know!

If its good enough to cash up private companies pursuing their own profit self-interest, why is it not OK to give cash to public agencies to pursue the public interest?
Seems like a double standard here. Nothing stopped Moreton Bay regional council handing cash over for Kippa-Ring; Nothing stopped Gold Coast City Council handing
cash over to get the light rail secured. The biggest beneficiary of CRR is none other than BCC in both economic terms, and also by taking pressure off the buses.

Let's not forget BCC will be going in with the rattling cash can to the feds and state for money for Kingsford Smith Drive double deck tunnels in the river.

ozbob

QuoteSo being critical of BCC for not investing in CRR project is senseless and a waste of time.

I wasn't actually doing that, I was highlighting the facile reason for not cutting back on Legacy way for the flimsy reason as stated, but there is is plenty of form already in Queensland for councils to be contributing to major rail projects as TT has pointed out as well. 

Go rail!

ozbob

Minister for Transport
08/02/2011

Kuranda Scenic Railway reopens

The iconic Kuranda Scenic Railway will reopen this morning, after adverse weather conditions caused by Tropical Cyclone Yasi forced a six-day closure of the tourist line.

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan said Queensland Rail made the decision to cancel Kuranda Scenic Railway services from Wednesday 2 February in response to cyclone warnings.

"Queensland Rail experts were monitoring the cyclone warnings, and it became increasingly apparent that trains in this region could not continue to operate safely past Tuesday," Ms Nolan said.

"The precautions and arrangements that Queensland Rail took at that time have now enabled them to reopen the historic Kuranda route within less than a week.

Member for Barron River Steve Wettenhall said the reopening is good news for tourism and local businesses.

"Local tourism operators have told us these resumed services will help the local business community, as it provides a fantastic experience to tourists, and to local residents," he said.

"Hopefully this will help bring in some much needed tourist spending at a time when the local economy needs it the most."

This famous railway winds its way on a journey of approximately 1 hour 45 minutes from Cairns to Kuranda, the village in the World Heritage protected tropical rainforest.

Rising from sea level to 328m, the journey to Kuranda passes through World Heritage protected tropical rainforest, past beautiful and spectacular waterfalls and into the awesome Barron Gorge.

"The Kuranda Scenic Railway journey is an unforgettable tourist experience not to be missed," Mr Wettenhall said.

The Kuranda Scenic Railway resumed its daily services this morning, with further information and reservations available from the Kuranda Scenic Rail booking office on (07) 4036 9333 or by visiting the website www.ksr.com.au.

justanotheruser

Quote from: ozbob on February 07, 2011, 20:43:19 PM
QuoteSo being critical of BCC for not investing in CRR project is senseless and a waste of time.

I wasn't actually doing that, I was highlighting the facile reason for not cutting back on Legacy way for the flimsy reason as stated, but there is is plenty of form already in Queensland for councils to be contributing to major rail projects as TT has pointed out as well. 

Go rail!
It is still the exception rather than the norm for councils contributing to rail.  Even then what was the percentage of the total cost? About 20% for the clem7 so assuming council put in the same amount that would be $2.8 billion* by council. A huge amount considering other repairs that need to be done and a huge amount to contribute to a project which is not theirs.  The amount is almost the same as the reported cost of Clem7!  So where is that money coming from? The biggest repair cost is to roads and kerbs. Some of the road repairs could be scrapped I suppose but certainly not all of it. Some places have massive potholes. This includes suburban streets which buses go down. So they need repairing or damage to buses will blow out and we possibly won't have enough buses causing cancelled services thus reducing the appeal of PT.  From what I can see the federal govt paid for the majority (80%) of the feasability study. It is then fair to assume they will be providing some money for CCR along with the state govt. So hardly something that could go ahead if BCC put some money in.

You can argue that BCC was quick to continue with legacy way for reasons stated. However BCC will not be footing the majority of the repair bill for the floods in the council area but rather that will come from federal. The state govt has a responsibility to the entire state. They will not get as much back from the federal government. It is not fair to compare the two.

*CRR cost estimate http://corviewgroup.com/cross-river-rail.html

Quote from: tramtrain on February 07, 2011, 20:03:57 PM
Why on earth would BCC be putting money of $770 million dollars into a private company toll tunnel, so that it can make private profits for its investors.
That's what I want to know!
Perhaps it was poor contract writing which left it up to the council to pay for extensions to the ventilation stacks. Poor contracts are nothing new for any government. The idea was to reduce BCC's risk. The alternative would have been council built the lot. There are other reasons as well such as BCC insisted on having a say in the toll price.

#Metro

QuoteIt is still the exception rather than the norm for councils contributing to rail.  

We are entitled to ask why does mode matter? If I have a road called Kingsford Smith Drive and I take my council rattle cash can and ask the State and Feds for money
for a project that benefits this area, why then is NOT OK to do exactly the same thing for a rail project benefiting exactly the same area in the same way? It doesn't make sense
at all.

Certainly there is no legal impediment to it happening. The fact is, it is unspoken convention "don't fund rail" , no matter what the alternatives are or what their merits are,
or purposes and benefits are, and I think that this overt modal bias should change.

As for funding CRR, it is so big and benefits over such a wide area, IMHO state and fed should fund it. However, Doomben line is a very different matter, and there is a case there for BCC funding. After all, BCC proposes to duplicate the functions of the line by constructing a busway for their CityGlider II overhanging the river, as outlined in the Mass Transit Report 2007.

QuoteEven then what was the percentage of the total cost? About 20% for the clem7 so assuming council put in the same amount that would be $2.8 billion* by council. A huge amount considering other repairs that need to be done and a huge amount to contribute to a project which is not theirs.  The amount is almost the same as the reported cost of Clem7!  So where is that money coming from?

This is a non-argument. One contributes what they can based on their ability to pay and depending on the merits. Economic growth of jobs and attracting more business is the job of council as well, they even have their own dedicated Economic/business unit within BCC, and a tourism arm also (Brisbane Marketing). Did I mention they were also concerned with transport and had BT too...

ozbob

Minister for Transport
09/02/2011

Trains on the move as cyclone recovery continues

Queensland Rail has established a Regional Recovery Taskforce to repair cyclone and flood affected regional train lines as quickly as possible, Transport Minister Rachel Nolan announced today.

Ms Nolan said the Regional Recovery Taskforce would ensure a coordinated approach by bringing together senior Queensland Rail leaders from a number of regions and divisions.

"This taskforce includes representatives with a range of knowledge and skills, including expertise in human resource management, communications, workplace health and safety, customer relations and law," she said.

"It is the single point of contact co-ordinating with contractors, suppliers, employees, government and customers and will ensure services are restored as soon as possible."

Ms Nolan said she was pleased to see the taskforce already delivering results.

Ms Nolan was in Tully this morning inspecting the state of the line and speaking to Queensland Rail gangs working hard on recovery.

"Between Cairns and Townsville the main damage seems to be to signs and level crossings," Ms Nolan said.

"Queensland Rail hope to have the line operational in approximately two weeks but timing is largely dependent on power supply.

"Trees have generally been cleared from tracks and washouts are being repaired. The main focus now is on repairing level crossing infrastructure including flashing lights and boomgates so trains can safely run."

Ms Nolan thanked trackworkers who were working in severe heat for their efforts in getting the line back up.

"Queensland Rail Travel train services on the North Coast line are operating between Brisbane and Mackay with passengers being transferred by road between Cairns and Mackay," Ms Nolan said.

"The Kuranda Scenic Railway has also resumed its regular scheduled tourist train services.

"Due to track damage as a result of severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi, Queensland Rail has arranged road coaches to transport customers on The Inlander service between Townsville and Mt Isa while repairs are carried out.

"The Spirit of the Outback is operating to Emerald with coach replacement for customers between Emerald and Longreach.

"Queensland Rail staff continue to repair damage caused by flash flooding on the Toowoomba line which is expected to reopen in April.

"Police or traffic controllers managing level crossings mean we keep trains running and delivering critical supplies to Queensland, while work continues to restore the damaged infrastructure."

Ms Nolan said it was important that motorists take extra care at level crossings through these special circumstances.

"I urge all motorists to be extra vigilant and obey the directions of police or traffic controllers at these crossings," she said.

For further information about disruptions visit www.queenslandrail.com.au or facebook.com/QueenslandRail

ozbob

Minister for Natural Resources, Mines and Energy and Minister for Trade
The Honourable Stephen Robertson
13/02/2011

Seqwater to undertake dam release

13 February 2011

Seqwater intends to reduce the Wivenhoe Dam level for the remainder of the wet season, given the extreme floods in January and the current water security of South East Queensland.

Seqwater has formally recommended Wivenhoe Dam's be temporarily reduced to 75 per cent of its current Full Supply Level and expects to implement the release strategy gradually during the next week.

The Minister for Natural Resources, Stephen Robertson, said the release was recommended by Seqwater after its recent hydrology analysis and was a precaution given the second strongest La Nina pattern in history continues to influence the current wet season.

"Seqwater made its recommendation recognising the extreme January 2011 event that left the catchments soaked and the water tables full,'' Mr Robertson said.

"While we can't be certain about what rain is yet to come in this wet season, this measure reflects an abundance of caution.

"Seqwater has advised that a reduction in Wivenhoe's Dam storage level to 75 per cent of its Full Supply Level provides appreciable flood mitigation benefits ahead of any major rain events in the remainder of the wet season.''

SEQ Water Grid manager Chief Executive Officer Barry Dennien said he had advised Seqwater a reduction to 75 per cent would be manageable from a water security perspective.

Mr Dennien said the January floods also transformed our long-term water storage capacity with the recently completed Wyaralong Dam now full five years earlier than expected and now storing 103,000 megalitres which is able to be connected to the Water Grid when required.

"With Wyaralong full, other dams full around the region and the Grid in place, Wivenhoe Dam can be operated at a lower level for the rest of the wet season without impacting on water security,'' Mr Dennien said.

Seqwater Chief Executive Peter Borrows said Seqwater expected to implement the release later this week to reduce the drinking water storage capacity of Wivenhoe Dam from 1,165 million megalitres down to around 874 million megalitres.

"We are likely to begin the transition by next weekend, with a slow release rate over about nine days discharging around 30,000 megalitres each day,'' he said.

"We will adjust the release to take into account any rainfall and tides as usual and this slow release will ensure no significant downstream impacts.''

Mr Borrows said that like other low volume releases in the past, there will be a limited number of bridges immediately downstream of Wivenhoe (Twin Bridges, Colleges Crossing and Savages Crossing) which will be closed during the period.

Mr Robertson said Seqwater's operational decision reflected current circumstances rather than issues which likely to be considered by the Commission of Inquiry into the recent floods.

"As per its terms of reference, the Commission of Inquiry will continue to assess dam operations during the January flood event and whether any changes to the long term framework are required,'' Mr Robertson said.

Mr Borrows said the dam would be maintained at 75 per cent of the current Full Supply Level until April, after the end of the wet season.

About Wivenhoe Dam

Wivenhoe Dam was built in 1985 to provide flood protection for South East Queensland after the devastation of the 1974 floods .

About 40 per cent of the dam's capacity is devoted to storing drinking water and the remaining 60 per cent is for flood mitigation. The dam is said to be at 100 per cent full supply level when the drinking water component is full.

The strategy and requirements for operating the dam, including flood mitigation and water releases, are outlined in the Dam Operations Manual. This Manual was developed in 1992. Since then it has been revised six times, most recently in January 2010.

The Manual is approved by the State's Dam Safety Regulator, in accordance with the Water Supply Act 2008.

ozbob

ozbob

Otto

I don't think that will last long... As things slowly get back to normal, and the party machine starts doing the talking again, along with the reality of our (excessively) higher utility bills, the approval vote will decrease..
My Opinion Only
7 years at Bayside Buses
33 years at Transport for Brisbane
Retired and got bored.
1 year at Town and Country Coaches and having a ball !

somebody

Quote from: Otto on February 20, 2011, 05:25:11 AM
I don't think that will last long... As things slowly get back to normal, and the party machine starts doing the talking again, along with the reality of our (excessively) higher utility bills, the approval vote will decrease..
My Opinion Only
I agree with this.  But the reshuffle could be good, you never know.

Gazza

Quotehigher utility bills, the approval vote will decrease..
But its going to be a case now of:

"............... are due to the floods"

Eg  "higher utility bills are due to the floods"

Have fun and think of your own lines to my template.

Stillwater

I always like it when pollies say they can't do something because of 'vertical fiscal imbalance.'

Stillwater

At the 'dog ate my homework level', VFI is as crude as saying 'we in the state government can't do what taxpayers want because the federal government doesn't give us enough money.'  As the academics would say: 'Sequential decision-making by two levels of government can result in vertical fiscal imbalances (VFI). Federal-regional transfers serve to equalize the marginal cost of public funds between regions hit by different shocks.

"The optimal vertical fiscal gap minimizes the efficiency cost of taxation in the federation as a whole. The analysis shows how the existence of vertical fiscal externalities, leading regional governments to overprovide public goods, can induce the federal government to create a VFI by selecting transfers that differ from the optimal fiscal gap.

"When the federal government can commit to its policies before regional governments select their level of expenditures, the VFI will generally be negative. In the absence of commitment, the equilibrium transfer is unambiguously larger than the optimal fiscal gap, resulting in a positive VFI. In an intertemporal setting, the VFI has implications for the sharing of debt between the federal and regional governments."

Glad that's cleared things up.  :-r

ozbob

mufreight

Quote from: Stillwater on February 20, 2011, 13:37:55 PM

At the 'dog ate my homework level', VFI is as crude as saying 'we in the state government can't do what taxpayers want because the federal government doesn't give us enough money.'  As the academics would say: 'Sequential decision-making by two levels of government can result in vertical fiscal imbalances (VFI). Federal-regional transfers serve to equalize the marginal cost of public funds between regions hit by different shocks.

"The optimal vertical fiscal gap minimizes the efficiency cost of taxation in the federation as a whole. The analysis shows how the existence of vertical fiscal externalities, leading regional governments to overprovide public goods, can induce the federal government to create a VFI by selecting transfers that differ from the optimal fiscal gap.

"When the federal government can commit to its policies before regional governments select their level of expenditures, the VFI will generally be negative. In the absence of commitment, the equilibrium transfer is unambiguously larger than the optimal fiscal gap, resulting in a positive VFI. In an intertemporal setting, the VFI has implications for the sharing of debt between the federal and regional governments."

Glad that's cleared things up.  :-r
Well , not realy but does it mean that the dog having ate your homework will now deliver pre packed doggie doo's with a done by date and a compliance certificate.

Stillwater

Note that the new GST arrangements will deliver an extra $670 million to the Queensland Government next financial year.  And the higher the price of petrol goes, the federal government collects (on behalf of the states) more GST calculated on the base price, plus the fuel excise levy.  Could not part of that extra money go to SCL duplication or upgrade of track to Doomben, or station at Ellen Grove perhaps?

Golliwog

...Or paying the $200M for BCC to break its $1.8B contract to build the Legacy Way tunnel and unlocking that money for PT projects ;)
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

Premier and Minister for Reconstruction
The Honourable Anna Bligh
26/02/2011

Queensland first: State Government releases 'actual' flood line maps

The State Government is creating an online record of the devastation caused by the floods and cyclone Yasi with aerial images from across Queensland.

Premier Anna Bligh and Queensland Reconstruction Authority Chair Major General Mick Slater said the first series of maps covered over 100 communities (suburbs and towns) with other maps to be released progressively in coming weeks.

Baralaba, Brisbane suburbs, Bundaberg, Condamine, Emerald, Goondiwindi, Ipswich suburbs, Jandowae, St George, Surat, Talwood, Thallon and Theodore are included in the first round of aerial imagery and maps.

Aerial images showing Yasi's destructive force are also now available for Cardwell and Dunk Island with images for Mission Beach, Tully and surrounding areas to follow in the next few days.

The maps can be found at www.qldreconstruction.org.au from today.

"This interactive website contains real images of the damage caused by these natural disasters both from the air and on the ground," said Premier Anna Bligh.

"Queenslanders will be given free access to online maps showing the actual flood line for towns and cities affected by the 2010-11 floods.

"They will be able to type in their address, or the address of a loved one, and see where their property is located, in relation to the city or town flood line.

"This is a first. In past flood events, such as Brisbane's 1974 floods and other major flood events in the State, mapping of flood lines has been done by measuring the water gauge heights and then relying on available land contours to make an educated guess on where the water went.

"To prepare for future events we need to do better than educated guesses and this website can help make Queenslanders more prepared than ever before.

"We intended this site to act as a tool that people can use during future natural disasters, to access reliable flood maps."

Premier Bligh said the aerial imaging of Queensland's disaster-affected towns has been underway since December.

"The Queensland Government, in partnership with the Australian Defence Force and private aerial imaging providers, have been painstakingly capturing aerial images of Queensland's flood and cyclone devastated towns and cities," she said.

"This has involved hundreds of hours of painstakingly flying back and forth over our towns and cities in pre-determined patterns capturing footage with ultra-high resolution, digital imaging equipment.

"Queensland Government mapping officers have progressively been working through the imagery, going house-by-house, street-by-street, literally hand drawing the high water mark or flood line by plotting the debris and mud lines.

"The end result is an aerial image of our towns and cities with an overlay showing the flood line.

"No more guess work. Real photographs, real flood lines," Ms Bligh said.

Reconstruction Authority Chair Major General Mick Slater said they intend to provide these maps to the respective councils, both for their internal urban planning uses and for public display in council offices.

"We have captured very accurate flood lines for more than 100 of Queensland's hardest hit communities.

"There is also a second tier of towns and cities where aerial photography has been completed but the flood line is not as discernable for the officers doing the mapping.

"In these cases we will be working closely with local governments to map the flood line.

"It is also important that the Authority is very upfront about the fact that the mapping has been done by real people, so human error is always possible.

"Throughout our interactive map feature there are Community Feedback buttons. If you think we've got the flood line wrong in your area, please let us know via the feedback option.

"The Authority will then revisit the actual aerial photograph of the area to verify the feedback.

Major General Slater said the aerial imaging task was immediately extended to North Queensland when Yasi was clear of the region.

"We are in the early days of mapping the imagery from Yasi and today's release of aerial imagery and maps also includes Cardwell and Dunk Island. Mission Beach, Tully and surrounding areas will follow in the next few days.

"I would like to stress, that capturing aerial imagery and preparing these digital maps over such a large area of Queensland is no minor task.

"In simple terms we're talking about taking photographs and then mapping each impacted town or city over an area some six times larger than Great Britain.

"Please, I urge Queenslanders in those areas not yet mapped to please be patient.

"This is a painstaking process drawing lines on a map house-by-house and we want to get it right.

The Queensland Reconstruction Authority will use its online interactive mapping feature to show other reconstruction projects and activities, including road closures and openings, the progress of school reconstruction projects, electricity infrastructure repairs and more.

"Over time, as we gather verified data from local and State agencies on the reconstruction effort we will make this publicly available on our website," Major General Slater said.

"It is important Queenslanders are aware of the scale of the reconstruction effort and most importantly its progress in their local region."

Golliwog

Cross River Rail's response to the January floods and the design of their project:
http://www.crossriverrail.qld.gov.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=110&Itemid=171

Flooding

Developing flood mitigation strategies for the tunnel and new stations is an important part of planning for Cross River Rail.

These strategies were released as part of the project reference design for community and stakeholder consultation in November 2010.

Recent flooding
The Cross River Rail reference design incorporates suitable flooding mitigation measures that would have withstood the recent flooding event that occurred in January 2011.

If the project was operational (according to the reference design), the tunnel and stations would not have been affected by the floods as design decisions and flood mitigation measures would have adequately protected the infrastructure.

This has been confirmed by the project team who assessed the flood levels experienced in January 2011 against the current reference design.

The southern tunnel portal and Yeerongpilly Station
The design of the southern tunnel portal and new station at Yeerongpilly (as released in the reference design) would have been above flood levels experienced in January 2011.

In addition, the flood level experienced would not have required the tunnel flood gates to be activated.

Albert Street Station
Given the uncertainty about how high the flood would ultimately go in the days leading up to the flood water reaching its peak, flood control features for Albert Street Station (flood boards at entry points and flood gates positioned lower in the station) would have been activated to protect the station.

However, the raised entry points would have protected the station from the flood level ultimately experienced in Albert Street.

In addition, this flood level would not have required the flood control features incorporated into the reference design to be activated.

More information about flood mitigation measures for Cross River Rail is available in the reference design overview.

Last Updated (Wednesday, 23 February 2011 10:49)

There is another announcement on their website from when it was announced that construction of CRR would be delayed by 2 years, which stated that the detailed design was continuing, and that there was to be further community consultations in the 2nd quarter of 2011.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

From the Queensland Times click here!

Delay frustrates rail commuters

QuoteDelay frustrates rail commuters

Andrew Korner | 4th March 2011

IN A blow for parents, the disabled and the elderly, Goodna commuters will have to wait at least four months until the lifts linking the train station to the pedestrian overpass will be repaired.

The station was not spared from the devastation which hit Goodna in January, with the electronic lifts a casualty of the muddy torrent which inundated the suburb.

Although the station has reopened for business since the floods, the lifts have remained out of service and QR said they would remain so until at least July this year.

A QR spokeswoman said it had contacted affected customers regarding access to Goodna station, and that those needing lift or ramp access should use the Redbank or Gailes stations.

The only problem is that each of those stations is several kilometres from Goodna.

"Due to the complexity of the repair and the lead time in sourcing replacement parts, the maintenance provider has advised Queensland Rail it does not expect the lift will be operational until July," the spokeswoman said.

The Department of Transport and Main Roads was also able to confirm, late yesterday, that the new lift linking the Ipswich Motorway pedestrian overpass to Mill Street – which was also ruined by floods – will take at least three months to fix.

The absence of a lift will make rail travel near impossible for anyone with physical disabilities, given the positioning of Goodna station.

Local area councillor Paul Tully said QR should be making the repairs its number-one priority.

"I think it is unsatisfactory that repairs would take such a long time," Cr Tully said.

"It would be impossible for someone in a wheelchair to get into the station, given the number of stairs from the overpass and the lack of a ramp.

"I think QR has let the people of Goodna down."

Elderly commuter Joyce Cavanough said getting up and down the stairs to and from the overpass was hard work.

"I would certainly be using the lift it was here," she said.

"For the older people, those with disabilities and mums with babies it's going to be difficult, if not impossible."

Young mum Leeza Gordon only got down to the platform to catch her train after carrying her baby's pram down the stairs.

"It's a bit of a hassle to have to lift the pram," she said.

QR apologised to commuters for the delay in lift repairs.

justanotheruser

Quote from: ozbob on March 04, 2011, 06:23:33 AM
From the Queensland Times click here!

Local area councillor Paul Tully said QR should be making the repairs its number-one priority.

"I think it is unsatisfactory that repairs would take such a long time," Cr Tully said.

"It would be impossible for someone in a wheelchair to get into the station, given the number of stairs from the overpass and the lack of a ramp.

"I think QR has let the people of Goodna down."
[/quote]
more political grandstanding by a politician. The reasons QR give such as getting parts is perfectly legit. It has for over 20 years been practice to no longer keep spares on a shelf in a warehouse but to order them in. This often means waiting for the parts to come from overseas. It is pointless condemning QR as they can't make the parts arrive sooner. Same thing happened in Sydney at wynard station when it got flooded by a burst water main. They had to wait till new escalator parts came from overseas.

mufreight

The system of sourcing parts in use must be pathetic, I was able to order components from Germany for heavy equipment with air delivery and through customs delivered to the workshop within eight days, these are frequently components that were specificly sourced to meet a particular specification.
The components for the lifts would not be one off's and even if they were the manufactures of these components should be able to supply them within a matter of a week at most so this overly extend delay is just so much b*ll sh*t and why if there is any basis in the story other than a desire to save on the freight costs by shipping the components by sea has QR again taken its eye off the ball and purchased equipment that the supplier does not gurantee being able to maintain 24/7
Were these lifts another buddy/mates deal where taxpayers have once more paid through the nose for something that has been done on the cheap?

Mozz

Maybe QR doesn't maintain the lifts themselves and it's a relationship they have with a third party lift company which is a global entity and has a global policy that all lift parts are to be shipped worldwide via sea transport.

mufreight

Yes Mozz QR does use a contractor to service and maintain its lifts and under that contract there would or should be a maximum out of service time that would be a matter of days not months.
As an illustration of the absurdity of this situation suppose that the servicing and maintaince of the electric train fleet was outsourced and that there was a rash of failures of an overseas sourced component that took half of the fleet out of service for three months waiting for the supply of components so that they could be shipped by sea, think of the outroar, same story here a simply unacceptable situation, all of the electronic and mechanical equipment for a number of lifts would fit in a single airtainer.
The excuse stinks more than the aftermath of the flood, obviously in this instance QR does not give a damm.

somebody

This link has a report submitted by SEQWater to DERM, 26Mb, 1180 pages for the full version: http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/commission/wivenhoe-somerset.html

It is very comprehensive.

ozbob

06/04/2011

Community Recovery and Wellbeing Package launched

Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Queensland Premier Anna Bligh today announced a $39 million package to support the recovery and wellbeing of people in Queensland following the state's worst-ever summer of natural disasters in recent memory.

The package was launched under the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements in Queensland today to assist communities to confront the challenges associated with long term recovery.

The Prime Minister said the support will help Queenslanders confront the long-term challenges of the recovery process that go beyond bricks and mortar.

The package includes:

·$20 million for community development and recovery funds on the ground to provide intensive support to the State's most highly impacted local communities, including supporting not-for-profit community groups, events and memorials;

·Up to $10 million for a Mental Health Disaster Recovery Package to support mental health services in disaster-affected communities in Queensland on top of $1.2 million in funding announced earlier this year. Local organisations on the ground within the mental health sector will receive much needed funding to bolster their excellent work within severely affected communities.

·Up to $5.8 million Financial Counselling to provide support to families and individuals affected by the disasters who are experiencing financial problems.

·A $2m Disabilities Care Plan to help a number of non-government organisations across Queensland to deliver crisis accommodation and respite care for people with a disability.

The Prime Minister said today's Community Recovery Package announcement was the next step in supporting Queensland following the recovery and the start of reconstruction efforts.

The Gillard Government will not forget the Queensland people who have been affected by the recent floods.

We are here to help you rebuild your homes, your workplaces, your infrastructure and your spirit.

Premier Bligh said that the mental health measures were important in the lead up to the Easter period.

"Grants will be made available to local non government organisations to deliver assistance, counselling services, community access, respite and expert referral to other support services," she said.

"These local groups will also provide additional individual and family counselling, personalised support and group support to those that need it.

"This means that people who are experiencing distress or mental health problems and need support will have access to additional individual and family services.

"Under this funding the carers themselves will get extra access to information, counselling and other support services."

Further details of the services that will be funded under the Community Recovery and Wellbeing Package will be settled with the Queensland Government over the coming days and will be consistent with NDRRA requirements.

For more information please contact the Queensland Department of Communities on 137468.

ozbob

There is a storm warning out.

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20038.html

QuoteSEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - SOUTHEAST QUEENSLAND
for DAMAGING WIND, FLASH FLOODING and LARGE HAILSTONES

For people in the LOGAN CITY and parts of the BRISBANE CITY, GOLD COAST CITY, SCENIC RIM and REDLAND Council Areas.

Issued at 4:06 pm Friday, 22 April 2011.

Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones in the warning area over the next hour or two.

Locations which may be affected include Beaudesert, Beenleigh, Logan City, Cleveland, Ormiston and Peel Island.

Intense storm heading for Logan --> http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR663.loop.shtml

ozbob

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20038.html

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - SOUTHEAST QUEENSLAND
for FLASH FLOODING

For people in the
MORETON BAY and parts of the
BRISBANE CITY and
REDLAND Council Areas.

Issued at 4:09 pm Tuesday, 3 May 2011.

The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 4:15 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Dayboro and Wamuran. These thunderstorms are moving towards the southeast. They are forecast to affect Strathpine, Caboolture, Kallangur, Narangba, Burpengary and Beachmere by 4:45 pm and Brisbane CBD, Redcliffe, Sandgate, Brighton, Scarborough and Deception Bay waters by 5:15 pm.

Very heavy rainfall and flash flooding are likely.

Thunderstorms today have already produced very heavy rainfall of 35mm in 30 minutes at Moogerah Dam at 1:40pm.
Small hail has been reported around Brisbane between 1pm and 2pm.

Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.

The next warning is due to be issued by 5:10 pm.

Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 219. The Bureau and Emergency Management Queensland would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.

Golliwog

Some incredibly loud thunder and lightning when I was getting off the train at Ferny Grove this afternoon/evening. The rain was quite cold too. No damage that I'm aware of though.

ozbob

Joint Statement:

Finance and Arts
04/05/2011

Memories come flooding back to create a lasting legacy

Queensland Museum is calling for donations of items to create a lasting legacy of Queensland's devastating floods leading up to a special exhibition planned for early next year.

Premier Anna Bligh has welcomed one of the first donations from helicopter pilot Mark Kempton who - with his team - rescued 28 people from floodwaters in Grantham on Monday 10 January.

"Mark and his Emergency Management Queensland crew from Archerfield saved 28 people that day, while another EMQ helicopter picked up another 15 people," Ms Bligh said.

"While many of us watched in horror, Mark and his crew put their own lives on the line to help others.

"So it's with great gratitude that I accept the donation of the uniform that he wore that day - and put out a call for more donations.

"Mark is a true hero and his uniform will have a special meaning for the people of Grantham and many Queenslanders who watched the unforgettable television footage of the helicopter rescues."

The Queensland Museum is calling for posters and flyers promoting flood fundraising events, instructions for volunteers, items from evacuation centres, damaged household items and hats, badges and armbands.

Ms Bligh said the museum had already collected a shovel used to help clean up after the floods in Goodna, a poem and a song.

"This activity will lead up to an exhibition early next year to commemorate this event and to ensure no-one ever forgets the tragedy and drama of the Queensland floods."

Arts Minister Rachel Nolan said it was important to save and share our memories of the tragic event.

"The State Library is also coordinating a number of activities connected to the floods," Ms Nolan said.

"The State Library is collecting disaster-related material with more than 1,000 photographs from Brisbane, Lockyer Valley and Bundaberg collected to date.

"More than half of these are already available online at onsearch.slq.qld.gov.au. More than 600 images have been submitted through the State Library's Flickr page, where people can contribute their own images.

"Another project saw the State Library collecting messages on miniature sandbags in February.

"The humble sandbag became a symbol of strength during January 2011 as over 500,000 were made across Queensland to keep out the rising waters.

"The State Library has re-created miniature sandbags as part of the 'Last Line of Defence' installation in kuril dhagun Indigenous Knowledge Centre.

"At a time when many people knew someone, helped someone, or was affected by the floods, the sandbag installation has enabled people to sit, talk and exchange experiences.

"The messages composed have been emotional and inspirational.

"One of them says simply: 'Queenslanders are the grit and grease that can't be washed away'."

Ms Nolan said these projects reflected the human face of an event that has left its mark across Queensland.

"The floods affected almost everyone and so the Queensland Museum and the State Library are hoping to gather items and stories from around the state.

"These stories and objects will paint a vivid and detailed picture for future generations."

To share your flood experience or donate objects, contact the Queensland Museum via email on flood2011@qm.qld.gov.au or the State Library on heritage@slq.qld.gov.au

colinw

Brisbane Time -> Grantham to be relocated

The new site is just uphill from the railway station. It just needs a rail service!

QuoteFlooded Queensland town to be relocated

The Lockyer Valley town of Grantham, which was devastated in the January floods, will be moved to a new location on higher ground with the first residents due to move in by Christmas.

Under the plan, residents of the flooded towns of Grantham, Murphys Creek, Postmans Ridge, Withcott and Helidon will be given the option to move to the new site.

The Lockyer Valley Council will offer all land-owning residents a voluntary swap of equivalent-sized blocks.

While the commercial centre will remain where it was on the highway, the residential centre of the town will now be on a hill to the north-west of the old town, Lockyer Valley Council Mayor Steve Jones said.

''Somewhere between 70 and 80 per cent [of Grantham residents] will move up to the new area,'' he said.

''Those people whose buildings weren't really damaged will probably stay.''

The 935-acre site was recently acquired by the Lockyer Valley council.

A fast-tracked plan means development will start in June and the first residents should be able to move into their new homes by the end of the year.

The remaining stages of development will be completed over the next two years.

Cr Jones said he believed the new town would attract hundreds of new residents as well, sparking a resurgence for Grantham.

''What we're doing is we're actually building a master-planned community on the hill there so there will be blocks for sale to the public as well,'' he said.

''Instead of the town being a ghost town or a sad story we're actually looking at bringing new residents in. Grantham will become a more exciting place.''

Cr Jones said he believed the new town would attract people who worked in Brisbane or Toowoomba.

The master plan for the new town includes a community centre, showgrounds and market place as well as memorial parklands.

The January floods killed at least 17 people in the Lockyer Valley including 10 in Grantham, a town with a population of about 360. At least three people are still missing and presumed dead.

The council's wide-ranging land-swap offer is believed to be an Australian-first, though it's not the first time towns have been relocated after fatal floods.

The central Queensland town of Clermont was relocated to higher ground after a 1916 flood killed about 65 of its 1500 residents.

In 1852, the town of Gundagai, in New South Wales, was moved after floods killed an estimated 89 people out of a population of 250.

🡱 🡳