• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Flood information - links

Started by ozbob, January 11, 2011, 08:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STB

Quote from: Derwan on January 16, 2011, 21:29:48 PM
Quote from: somebody on January 16, 2011, 18:17:24 PM
Yes, the information was a p%ss poor performance, I'm afraid.

You're such a negative Nancy!  We were in the middle of one of the worst disasters that Brisbane has seen and yet you complain about a lack of information?  Given the circumstances, I think it's understandable that the information that was provided wasn't perfect!

Information is always going to be difficult to get out during extreme circumstances, and not just for transport.  There's currently a big debate among weather watchers occuring at the moment with the Bureau of Met regarding information, which is far more important and criticial, lives are actually at risk in that circumstance!  So to call the lack of transport information poor is a bit petty and unfairly harsh and selfish, when doing a comparasion to the circumstances, ie: the floods that were occuring, in my opinion.

Personally I think TL, QR and all those workers (bus drivers, train crews, transport planners, operational staff etc) did an fantastic job, going well beyond the call of duty.  You couldn't ask for anything more from them given what was happening.

In times like what has happened (which is rare mind you), it just comes down to acceptance rather than being critical when information is difficult to gather and/or is incorrect.  Those transport workers do have families and may of been affected themselves, so a bit of positive consideration to that and consideration of what really is such a minor detail, in terms of a lack of information, when you know that others have lost homes and belongings is really just being sensible IMO.

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

From the Courier Mail click here!

Queensland Government to rethink new infrastructure projects following floods

Queensland Government to rethink new infrastructure projects following floods

* Anna Caldwell
    * January 17, 2011 10:30AM

PLANS for major Queensland infrastructure projects will need to be reconsidered, Transport Minister Rachel Nolan conceded this morning.

Ms Nolan flagged the Government's massive underground train network plan, Cross River Rail, as one that would need to be considered in light of the state's budgetary position.

"There's going to have to be a very serious consideration of Queensland's budgetary position," Ms Nolan said.

"It's going to cost a great deal of money to rebuild from this and that's a substantial issue when it comes to Cross River Rail.

"Obviously the priority will be rebuilding things that have been damaged ahead of starting out new projects."

Heading into an emergency Cabinet meeting this morning, Government ministers flagged massive infrastructure damage including roads, rail tracks and schools.

The Toowoomba train line down the range will take at least three months to repair.

"Queensland has taken a huge emotional hit with many lives lost," Ms Nolan said.

"And we've taken a big financial hit as well."

We have an opportunity to future proof.  To simply adopt a lets fix what was damaged philosophy is a flaw.  Rebuild so that transport infrastructure is more resilient.   Rail is certainly demonstrating its worth today, as it has the past week.  There are lessons there.

Jonno

Why is it that a rail project is first to be mentioned not all the wasteful road expansion projects.  1960 thinking still prevails.  Rail is just a social service in their eyes.

colinw

The shafting is about to commence ...

I can understand deferring some projects - the infrastructure damage bill will be huge - but immediately jumping on projects like CRR when the waters have barely receded indicates to me that some other agenda is at work here.

If anything, rail should be relatively untouched given how very well it has performed through this crisis, although there will of course be a lot of repair work needed (e.g. the main line to Toowoomba, Western line around Chinchilla, etc.)

If the Government steps away from CRR, then they are effectively saying they do not support rail as the spine of our public transport system.  The rest of the 2031 vision then collapses.

#Metro

Oh dear, here we go again. It is understandable why these things happen, but on the other hand, there needs to be some thought about what is seen and what is not seen. The people see a price on a piece of paper, but have they costed the price of what isn't on a piece of paper? - the cost of foregone economic growth to the city of Brisbane and the cost of alternative road projects to allow for that growth to continue?

The CRR is expensive, but when you look at the financials, the benefits that it contributes is far in excess of its costs. You get what you pay for, and you have to pay for quality.

On the other hand, this may be a time to cut things from the Connecting SEQ 2031 plan which we know is impossible to fund 100% simply because this would require extraordinary unprecedented astronomical multi-billion dollar expenditure every year for the next 20 years or so, and no government on planet earth (except maybe China?) has accomplished such a task.

There is something that can be done though- the core frequent network- the "backbone" of consisting of frequent bus and train services across Brisbane can still go ahead. It will require money, but nowhere near the level of many, if not all, projects scheduled in the future. Once the core frequent network is in place, or even as a transition to it, you can cut back many bus routes and turn them into frequent feeder services, feeding passengers to trunk line BUZ and trunk line rail services. The beauty of this is that a) this will increase patronage, reducing subsidy, b) utilise vehicles better and c) probably save money because you are not paying for whole armadas of buses to travel directly into the CBD when they don't need to.

Of course, TransLink can't be timid here. It needs to rise to the challenge.

The Eastern Busway would be re-considered in that review. CRR is priority #1. No CRR, no rail revolution. Simple.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

colinw

We could start by getting rid of railway lines to cow paddocks (Ripley!) and this insane idea what we can fix problems by encouraging sprawl ever further into the countryside.

A year or two delay on projects like Springfield & Kippa-Ring is also acceptable given what has happened.  CRR itself MUST proceed, although the timescale probably needs to be pushed out to 2018 or so now.

ozbob

The question is of course 'Can we afford not to build CRR?'  

The real fragility of the 'modern transport network' has been exposed.  It would be foolish not to heed the lesson.

There is a degree of melodrama around at the moment.  I am not belittling the effects but we have recovered before.   The electrification of the suburban network in Brisbane was one thing that developed out of the 1974 floods.  There are some wise owls around ...

#Metro

QuoteWe could start by getting rid of railway lines to cow paddocks (Ripley!) and this insane idea what we can fix problems by encouraging sprawl ever further into the countryside.

Totally agree here. The Rosewood line already exists. Why not use it.
A year or two delay on projects like Springfield & Kippa-Ring is also acceptable given what has happened.  CRR itself MUST proceed, although the timescale probably needs to be pushed out to 2018 or so now.

One can only wonder what the alternative is. Tennyson line upgrades to act as an alternative to CRR?
Delay Kippa-Ring and there will be a lot of bitterness. On the other hand, buses can be used to extend the reach
of rail into springfield. I'm not sure why 460 and 461 should continue to run directly to the CBD when there are
now rail options.

Do we discuss what could be cut and what should not? CRR is on my "don't cut" list, I agree the ripley and flagstone extensions can be delayed or forfeited if this growth could be put into infill development.

We can't change the wind, but we can change the sails... :bo
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

colinw

Please remember also that big disasters like this may slow us down a bit, but are likely to be followed by a significant boom as the rebuild pushes the economy along.  Brisbane & South East Queensland changed enormously in the decade following 1974, and I suspect something similar is likely to be seen this time.

Therefore talk of canning projects is premature.  I'd rather see a measured & considered response, with some projects deferred until the effect on state finances is clear.  Outright cancellation of things like CRR would be sending a very bad message indeed, basically saying "we're closed for business and not interested in investing in our future".

#Metro

Well I would be extremely surprised if things were not canned.

We can't stop the government from canning things-I am almost certain that it is going to happen anyway. However, we can have a say about what gets cut and what does not to limit the impact. The alternative is to do and say nothing, hoping that nothing will be cut (highly unlikely), and in that scenario, we have no say at all.

Any state contributions to the Kingsford Smith Drive tunnels can be 'reconsidered' IMHO. The metro could end up in that basket too.
Do people have an opinion about Trouts Rd? IMHO Trouts Rd should be kept- it will make the network and complimentary grid of buses much easier to roll out on the northside.

colinw

I consider Trouts Road to be too long term to worry about impacts from this mess.

As far as I am concerned, anything that was planned for 2018 or later is so far in the future that we needn't even worry about it.  Things like Trouts Road, Ripley, etc. were only ever lines on a map, and were likely to change.

IMHO there are a core set of network upgrades that need to be preserved, but can be deferred for a year or more if necessary: CRR, Springfield, Kippa-Ring.  I wouldn't be hugely concerned if Springfield went back to 2015, Kippa-Ring & CRR to 2018.

Eastern busway can be slowed down or canned.

Ripley, Flagstone, etc. you can say are deferred or canned, doesn't matter as I very much doubt they were happening this side of the late 2020s anyway - by which time this flood will be as much ancient history as 1974 was by 1990 or so.

Extensions to Gold Coast line, etc. can be deferred easily as well.  I had hoped to see the Gold Coast line reach Elanora this decade, but now it probably won't

Ideas like the metro can be canned outright, but there's no saving to made there anyway as it was just an idea & a line on a map.

Gold Coast Light Rail I think needs to proceed, but additional stages may need to wait or have more private sector funding.

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Minister for Transport
The Honourable Rachel Nolan
17/01/2011

Western train line to require extensive reconstruction

The State Government is conducting a full assessment of the Western train line to Toowoomba and beyond, but there are early indications the line has suffered substantial damage.

Helicopter survey flights have identified at least one bridge has been partially washed away, while landslips have covered rail lines with debris and in some areas washed away the ground underpinning the track.

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan said regional Queensland's train network would be rebuilt in a safe, methodical way and returned to operation as quickly as possible in support of Western communities and customers.

"Maintenance teams are currently reviewing the line to Toowoomba and further west by air, by foot and using special on track vehicles," Ms Nolan said.

"The scale of the task ahead of us is immense, but the type of work required is not unusual; our track maintenance teams have high levels of experience fixing and repairing tracks after extreme weather events in regional and remote areas of Queensland.

"We will be mapping out a comprehensive plan of action to tackle this job."

Member for Toowoomba North Kerry Shine said the Toowoomba line is of vital importance to the region but that a main focus of the rebuild would be safety.

"This track is an important lifeline for communities and businesses in South-West Queensland, as well as people it carries coal, freight, grain and livestock," he said.

"We want the people of this region to know we understand its importance to them, and will be working with them to get them moving again."

"The rebuilding and recovery effort will take time and the last thing I want to see is for the loss of property to be compounded by unnecessary injuries."

==============================================================

ozbob

Premier and Minister for the Arts
The Honourable Anna Bligh
17/01/2011

Premier establishes Commission of Inquiry into flood disaster

Premier Anna Bligh has launched a statewide independent Commission of Inquiry to forensically examine Queensland's unprecedented flood disaster.

Ms Bligh said the Commission would be headed by widely respected Queensland Justice Cate Holmes with Deputy Commissioners Jim O'Sullivan, a former Queensland Police Commissioner and Phil Cummins, an international expert on dams.

She said the Commission of Inquiry, approved by Cabinet today and appointed by the Queensland Governor after a special Executive Council meeting, would deliver an interim report in August 2011, and its final report by January 2012.

The Premier said the Inquiry would have the powers of a Royal Commission, would take public submissions from across Queensland and would make recommendations in its interim report for future wet seasons.

"The last three weeks have been truly shocking for all Queenslanders and now is the time to forensically examine the devastating chain of events and the aftermath," Ms Bligh said.

"Our government has appointed three highly respected people to undertake that task and I want to honour those people who have lost their lives through this disaster by ensuring all possible lessons are learned.

"These floods impacted approximately 70 per cent of the entire state and affected around 60 per cent of our entire population.

"We have faced a terrible test and Queenslanders can be proud of their response - I believe our emergency services are among the best in the world.

"I believe our police, our defence forces, our SES volunteers and the army of civilians who cleaned mud from our homes are to be commended.

"Our Government knows that it is by learning the lessons of this disaster through this open and transparent review of our preparation and response that we can protect future generations."

Ms Bligh said while it was unusual that a sitting Supreme Court Judge would be appointed to head a Commission, she had discussed Justice Holmes' appointment with Chief Justice Paul De Jersey who had advised her of his support for the appointment of Justice Holmes to this important Commission.

Justice Holmes has vast legal experience including terms on the Queensland Court of Appeal, the Mental Health Court as well as the Supreme and District Courts and was Counsel Assisting the Forde Commission of Inquiry into Child Abuse.

Jim O'Sullivan was the Queensland Police Commissioner from 1992 to 2000 and served for 41 years in the Queensland Police Service in rural and regional Queensland.

Phil Cummins is an international authority on dams and is current Chair of the International Commission on Large Dams.

The Premier said the government's priority would continue to be to reinstate access to basic services, rebuild infrastructure and support the community.

"This work will operate in parallel to the work of the Commission.

"The inquiry's wide ranging powers will include the power to summon witness, compel production of documents and issue search warrants.

"This will be an open, transparent and honest review into what we have just experienced.

"We owe it to those who have died and to future generations to learn the lessons of these floods."

=============================================================

Golliwog

I would say calm down on the CRR front. They were talking to the Transport Minister, and of course her biggest infrastructure project would be CRR, hence why she mentioned it. She is not the Main Roads minister so she would be out of her league talking about road projects.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

somebody

You're such a negative Nancy!  We were in the middle of one of the worst disasters that Brisbane has seen and yet you complain about a lack of information?  Given the circumstances, I think it's understandable that the information that was provided wasn't perfect!
You won't get any apologies from me. Information about alternate stop locations isn't a nice to have, it's a mandatory requirement.  I do not think that is the least bit harsh.

ozbob

mufreight

Quote from: somebody on January 18, 2011, 09:34:38 AM
You won't get any apologies from me. Information about alternate stop locations isn't a nice to have, it's a mandatory requirement.  I do not think that is the least bit harsh.

Ok so being practical about things with limited resources, facilities and staff they failed to provide what you percieve as being insufficent advice as to alternate stop locations, perhaps using the resources that they had avaliable they decided that there was far more need to provide what services they could and use as they did local radio to provide the initial advice of (a) that there were services operating (b) which services were operating and (c) where they were operating from.
Might not have fulfilled everyones needs or have been to the standards of some but overall a commendable effort, one that all involved in should be congratulated on not decried because there were some flaws.   :-t   :bu

ozbob

ozbob

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20038.html

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - SOUTHEAST QUEENSLAND
for DAMAGING WIND, FLASH FLOODING and LARGE HAILSTONES

For people in the
LOGAN CITY and parts of the
GOLD COAST CITY,
IPSWICH CITY and
SCENIC RIM Council Areas.

Issued at 2:31 pm Tuesday, 18 January 2011.

The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 2:35 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near the area between Boonah and Beaudesert.

These thunderstorms are moving towards the northeast.

They are forecast to affect Jimboomba by 3:05 pm and Logan Village, Bundamba Lagoon and Greenbank by 3:35 pm.

Damaging winds, very heavy rainfall, flash flooding and large hailstones are likely.

Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure loose outdoor items.
* Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
* Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
* Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
* Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
* For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.

The next warning is due to be issued by 3:30 pm.

Stillwater

Raining on Sunny Coast.  Don't like the look of rain around Blackall Range and in upper Mary valley.  (Next radar station up)

HappyTrainGuy

If you think about it we could do with a little rain right now just to get the dust to settle and to clean a few things up so it wouldn't be all bad. Hopefully none of the low laying areas where there still might be some water around won't be to affected.

ozbob

Not looking too good, appears to be heading for Ipswich --> Archerfield --> Brisbane

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR663.loop.shtml

Might break up ..

When I first arrived in Queensland (1969) this sort of summer storm pattern was very typical.  The problem is now of course these on top of the existing problems are compounding.

ozbob

Front appears to be weakening a little ..

colinw

Quote from: ozbob on January 18, 2011, 14:58:16 PM
When I first arrived in Queensland (1969) this sort of summer storm pattern was very typical.  The problem is now of course these on top of the existing problems are compounding.
Right through the '70s it was the norm. When I was in primary school it seemed to be all too common to have a storm at around 3:30PM just after school let out.

ozbob

Front has just passed through Darra, moderate rain at this time.  Report of hail at Goodna. 

Moving rapidly, hope this doesn't interfere with Ippy restart ...

ozbob

Strong front wind and some hail, moderate rain in the shadow.  Moving rapidly, will soon pass ...

colinw

Just about to reach us here at Eight Mile Plains ...

ozbob

erail 3.58pm

18 Jan 2011

Services on Ipswich/Rosewood Line are cancelled between Sherwood and Ipswich due to extreme weather. Service to resume by 8:00 PM.

Alt. transport operating between Sherwood and Ipswich.

HappyTrainGuy

Nothing yet on the Northside but in the last 5 mins the visible lighting has changed by 4 stops. In other words it is really dark. Winds have picked up and its black looking west/south.

ozbob

ozbob

There is another storm cell on a similar line to the last ..

--> http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR663.loop.shtml

ozbob

Looks like might track more westerly, over Wivenhoe ..

ozbob

ozbob

A message from Campbell - January 17 (sic)  I think this is meant to be 18th ..
As flood-affected residents return to their homes and the clean-up continues, I would like to draw attention to the issue of fire hazards and safety.

Last night the Queensland Royal Fire Service (QRFS) reported 16 fires, with 6 of these being small electrical fires. For those homes that have been affected by floodwaters or for those properties that have been hosed down during the clean-up, please contact a licensed electrician to do a safety check of wiring and switchboards before turning on the power. All electrical equipment that may have come into contact with floodwaters should also be checked by an electrician before using. If in doubt - don't use!

Household items that typically prove to be a problem include pool pumps, air-conditioning units and ovens. Also make sure that gas and electricity are turned off while you clean-up.

For those still keen to assist in the city clean-up, Council is calling on residents and businesses to form volunteer groups of 10 to 20 people and to register their interest with Council' s Contact Centre on 3403 8888. For those small businesses in need of assistance with clean-up activities, please also contact Council and we will instruct a group of volunteers to come out to you.

For information on the flood clean-up and advice for residents returning to their property, Council will be distributing community newsletters out to flood-affected areas on a regular basis over the coming week. These newsletters can also be viewed on the Brisbane City Council website, click here.

Campbell Newman
LORD MAYOR
Flood Recovery Update

Public Transport

As a way to assist the flood recovery, all public transport will remain free of charge until midnight Friday, 21st of January.

The Bicentennial Bikeway, which runs below Coronation Drive, will remain closed to cyclists until it can be thoroughly inspected at normal tide.

Waste Collection

More than 67,000 tonnes of rubbish has been collected and dumped since the clean-up commenced. The 172 industrial bins located throughout flood-affected areas will continue to collect perishable items for as long as needed.

With our biggest priority to remove the rotting rubbish and debris from footpaths, Council continues to work towards its target of ensuring that by 5pm this Sunday, 23rd of January, our waste trucks will have passed through all flood-affected streets at least once.

Council' s free tipping stations remain open from 6am to 9pm each day for residents who wish to transport their own waste.

Here are our dumping locations:

* 1402 Nudgee Road, Nudgee
   * 360 Sherbrook Road, Willawong
   * 101 Upper Kedron Road, Ferny Grove
   * Tilley Road, Chandler (opposite the Sleeman Sports Complex)

Please avoid handling materials you suspect contains asbestos. Anyone who is unsure should leave the materials alone and contact council immediately on 3403 8888 to arrange safe removal. Do not put these materials into any bin or with items for kerbside collection. If possible, keep the materials wet and covered in plastic.

Electricity

Energex restored power to a further 4,000 homes overnight. 11,000 properties are still without power but it's expected the majority will have power restored by Friday, where it is possible to do so.

Stormwater Drains

Council has been working hard to clear gully pits (the square drains with grates) of silt and debris in flood-affected areas. With storms predicted for today and tomorrow, residents are to report any blocked or flooded gully pits to Council on 3403 8888.

Health Issues

Council and Queensland Health continue to offer free vaccinations for all flood-affected residents and volunteers during the clean-up operation. Tomorrow, Wednesday the 19th of January, staff will be at the following locations:

* Indooroopilly Catholic Church, Ward Street, Indooroopilly, 8.30 to 10am
   * Jamboree Heights State School, Beanland Street, Jamboree Heights, 11.30am to 1pm
   * St Aidan's Anglican Girls School, 11 Ruthven Street, Corinda, 2.30 to 4pm

Free vaccinations are also located at Council's various Children's Immunisation Clinics, click here for the complete timetable.

Recovery Centres

Recovery Centres have been set up across the city as a one-stop-shop for flood affected residents. Services available at these Centres include the processing of Centrelink and State Government payments, insurance advice, onsite banking and counselling services. So we have had over 3,000 people visit the various centres.

The Centres are open from 8:30am and 5pm and are located at:

* QEII Sports Complex, Kessels Road, Mt Gravatt
   * RNA Showgrounds Gregory Terrace, Bowen Hills
   * Indooroopilly Catholic Church Hall, Corner of Ward Street and Central Avenue, Indooroopilly
   * Yeronga State School, 122 Park Road, Yeronga
   * St Aidan's Anglican Girls' School, Ruthven Street, Corinda
   * St Mary' s Anglican Church (next to St Vincent's Hospital), 455 Main Street, Kangaroo Point
   * Jamboree Heights State School, 35 Beanland Street, Jamboree Heights

Police
Queensland Police have brought in around 100 extra staff from New South Wales, South Australia and Victoria to assist with 'Operation Safeguard'. The operation sees an increase in high-visible police patrolling flood-affected areas, particularly at night.

Water
Council is giving a $100 rebate to cover the cost of water used by flood victims, which equates to about 50,000 litres of free water per flood-affected household. Please call Council's Contact Centre on 3403 8888 for more information.

justanotheruser

Ok who was supposed to go out and put that information up?  Bear in mind that for years they have not been in the practice of providing information when games are on at suncorp stadium. With the floods it was very different to a football game. You have staff who had left to go home to save what they could before their houses flooded. Child care centres having closed because they were unable to get enough staff to legally stay open and I could go on and on.  In the end you need to be realistic and realise that they had fewer staff than they normally would have available plus massive amount of extra enquiries as all of brisbane and ipswich were trying to find out information plus the media. So tell us who was supposed to go around and put up signs. The fact is you have no idea of the situation and what was able to be done. Why is this the first time I have seen this complaint on here even though this situation has been happening since at least 2002.

To me you sound like the lady on the train this afternoon who after being informed by the guard that power had been cut due to tree falling on power lines made the comment "No wonder they made public transport free this week"

mufreight

Quote from: justanotheruser on January 18, 2011, 23:38:22 PM
Ok who was supposed to go out and put that information up?  Bear in mind that for years they have not been in the practice of providing information when games are on at suncorp stadium. With the floods it was very different to a football game. You have staff who had left to go home to save what they could before their houses flooded. Child care centres having closed because they were unable to get enough staff to legally stay open and I could go on and on.  In the end you need to be realistic and realise that they had fewer staff than they normally would have available plus massive amount of extra enquiries as all of brisbane and ipswich were trying to find out information plus the media. So tell us who was supposed to go around and put up signs. The fact is you have no idea of the situation and what was able to be done. Why is this the first time I have seen this complaint on here even though this situation has been happening since at least 2002.

To me you sound like the lady on the train this afternoon who after being informed by the guard that power had been cut due to tree falling on power lines made the comment "No wonder they made public transport free this week"

Right on the mark, a time to be thankful for the efforts made to provide service under the circumstances, definately not the time for negative nitpicking.
The woman on the train with her comment is in all probability would be one of the first to complain if QR had proactively cleared all vegetation that could possibly foul the line in a storm following flooding which softened the ground to the degree that trees could get blown over.
Yes there were some things that possibly could have been done differently and have delivered better outcomes, time to discuss these is later when authority has some time to listen, the positive information then can be used in the future.

🡱 🡳