• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Flood information - links

Started by ozbob, January 11, 2011, 08:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurfRail

^ Those who were on the tour last weekend were exposed to my choice opinions on some of my brethren in the legal profession...
Ride the G:

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> Flood residents entitled to seek legal advice: Moreton mayor

QuoteMoreton Bay council mayor Allan Sutherland said residents in his council area were entitled to seek legal advice about the impact of the Moreton Bay Rail Link on the flooding in their homes.

It has emerged that two law firms have begun to represent families who were badly flooded when 300mm of rain – 12 inches in the old scale - fell in four hours on May 1.

Maddens Lawyers plan to lodge papers to lodge a class action representing around 40 families on Monday, while Shine Lawyers are representing several individual families.

Cr Sutherland said the Moreton Bay Rail Link project had been "engineered beyond belief" and he did not think it would have any lasting impact on flood risks in the area.

"I'd have huge doubt that the finished product would contribute to flooding," he said.

"But, in saying that, there is a possibility that a stage or part of construction could have had some influence on it.

"That's why I welcome the government's inquiry."

The Queensland Government announced a 12-week investigation by the Snowy Mountains Engineering Corporation into the impact of the Moreton Bay Rail Link into localised flooding.

Cr Sutherland said he also welcomed those affected exploring their legal options and employing experts do conduct individual research.

"I salute them for that," he said.

"There are a lot of people who lost everything that they had out there and if there is a culprit – and I say 'if' because I haven't seen this latest report – we've got to find it.

"The most important thing here, as far as I can see, is that we don't want these people affected again.

"People who had lived there for 16 years without being flooded have now been flooded twice in eight weeks.

"It's soul destroying and if there is an issue out there, we've got to get to the bottom of it and get it solved."

Local consistently argue the addition of a bridge across Saltwater Creek near Anzac Avenue has blocked flood and stormwaters.

Shine Lawyers have engaged a hydrologist to prepare a preliminary report on the impact of the Moreton Bay Rail Link.

Shine's spokesman George Newhouse was unavailable to speak with Fairfax Media on Thursday.

He told News Limited their hydrological expert "was working to determine the cause of the flood as quickly as possible."
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Media Statement

Minister for Main Roads, Road Safety and Ports and Minister for Energy and Water Supply
The Honourable Mark Bailey
Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Independent review into dam operators' warning systems

The Inspector-General of Emergency Management has been commissioned to undertake an independent review into the warning systems provided by Seqwater and SunWater to communities downstream of their dams.

Emergency Services Minister Jo-Ann Miller said that, following a request from the Minister for Water Supply Mark Bailey, the Inspector-General would review current communications systems and ways to improve them.

Minister Bailey told State Parliament today it was crucial for communities, including irrigators, living and working downstream of the dams to receive timely and clear notifications of any controlled dam gate openings.

"Queenslanders have shown great resilience in dealing with extreme weather, but it's important for communities to be informed and prepared".

A record 183 millimetres of rain fell across south east Queensland during the 1 May flood – the highest since records began in 1840.

"When concerns were raised by mid-Brisbane River irrigators about Seqwater's notifications for controlled water releases on 1 May, I called in the CEO and stressed the importance of providing concise, clear and accurate communications with the community and all stakeholders."

Mr Bailey said considerable changes had been made to dam operations in recent years, including those that arose from the Queensland Floods Commission of Inquiry.

The Inspector-General's review will focus on Seqwater and SunWater's gated dams, including the Wivenhoe and Callide dams.

ozbob

Quote from: colinw on May 20, 2015, 15:50:08 PM
Brisane Times -> 200 Callide Dam families begin Cyclone Marcia flood class action today

Victorian Supreme Court?

Cannot take class actions in Queensland so other states used ...  Queenslander!!   :P :steam:

#Metro

Just curious, but how does a Victorian court have jusisdiction in Queensland?
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Quote from: LD Transit on May 20, 2015, 16:08:10 PM
Just curious, but how does a Victorian court have jusisdiction in Queensland?

No idea myself, but the 2011 flood class action is taking place in NSW.   Seems class actions can take place in any state that allows it I guess. On the surface does seem rather odd, but that's how it is.

colinw

I believe it is called "cross vesting":
https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/J/JurisdCoCrVeA87.pdf

Basically, each state and territory passed legislation allowing transfer of matters to equivalent courts in the other states and territories.

Well, that's my laymans understanding of it.

colinw

ozbob

More flood plain development  ...

Brisbanetimes --> Tennyson Reach flood victims fight body corporate for insurance payout

Quote... In the January 2011 floods the 207 Mirvac-owned apartments were either badly inundated by the swirling floodwaters, or were abandoned for three months because the electrical equipment to operate the lifts was in the ground floor and could not operate. ...

^ very slow learners in Queensland ...  :P

colinw

Town planning & approval failure.  BCC.  :fp:

red dragin

Quote from: ozbob on June 04, 2015, 13:32:56 PM
More flood plain development  ...

Brisbanetimes --> Tennyson Reach flood victims fight body corporate for insurance payout

Quote... In the January 2011 floods the 207 Mirvac-owned apartments were either badly inundated by the swirling floodwaters, or were abandoned for three months because the electrical equipment to operate the lifts was in the ground floor and could not operate. ...

^ very slow learners in Queensland ...  :P

I remember my lift tech (same company for Tennyson Reach) guestimating a $150,000 repair bill for the lifts there. 10 lifts where affected.

Body Corporate would most likely have no coverage - ours didn't.

ozbob

ozbob

9th August 2015

Media Release
Premier and Minister for the Arts
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

Grantham Floods Commission of Inquiry extended

The Queensland Government's Grantham Floods Commission of Inquiry has been extended to ensure that the thorough investigations underway can continue, and impacted families can have the closure they deserve.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the Inquiry chaired by respected QC Walter Sofronoff would continue public hearings until 21 August.

The Inquiry had been due to report back by 31 August, but the final report would now be provided by 30 September 2015.

"The Commission's work has been difficult, complicated and time consuming and has involved a large volume of material," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"Since starting in May the Commission's investigations have focused around the flooding of the Lockyer Creek between Helidon and Grantham on 10 January 2011, with particular emphasis on whether the Grantham Quarry could have altered or contributed to the flooding.

"Already 38 witnesses (as at 7 August 2015), have been called to give evidence at the Commission's hearing, and more may be required.

"The Commission of Inquiry is important, not only for the community and Grantham residents but for all Queenslanders, as that fateful day touched the lives of so many people.

"The destruction and loss the floods brought to families, homes and businesses will not be forgotten."

Ms Palaszczuk said the Government established the Commission after listening to the calls of the community, Grantham residents and the Mayor of the Lockyer Valley Regional Council for a new inquiry.

"This extension of time will allow the Commission to undertake a comprehensive review of all material," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"It will also provide parties with an opportunity to consider initial findings and make any final submissions.

"My government is committed to the Inquiry because Queenslanders, and the people of Grantham want the truth to prevail," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"They need and deserve further closure, so they can move on with their lives in the wake of one of the most serious natural disasters in history, and we are determined to help them achieve that."

ENDS

ozbob

ozbob

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20041.html

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING for DAMAGING WIND

For people in the
Southeast Coast and parts of the
Wide Bay and Burnett and
Darling Downs and Granite Belt Forecast Districts.
Issued at 12:17 pm Wednesday, 12 August 2015.

A broken line of thunderstorms has developed over the far eastern Darling Downs and western parts of the Southeast Coast district, and is likely to move rapidly eastwards towards the southeast Queensland coast in the next hour or two. A few of the storms embedded in the line may produce strong to damaging wind gusts over the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Gold Coast, Brisbane, Coolangatta, Ipswich, Boonah and Beenleigh.

ozbob

verbatim9

That's why I think it's important to complete our Busways to Carindale and Chermside they are elevated and can run in all weather situations and are mostly 99% flood proof.

verbatim9

pandmaster

Quote from: verbatim9 on August 27, 2015, 15:41:06 PM
That's why I think it's important to complete our Busways to Carindale and Chermside they are elevated and can run in all weather situations and are mostly 99% flood proof.

In the case of Chermside it is far better value for money to paint one of the lanes in each direction from the current busway into a peak hour bus lane (or maybe transit lane) compared to dedicated busway. Apart from Kedron Brook I am not aware of anywhere that could flood along the route.

As for Carindale it is more difficult as OCR is only two lanes each way. I am not sure what the best option is there, though if the cost is anything like the Buranda to Langlands Park extension then it is too expensive. I do not think there is much of a flood risk along there either.

verbatim9

The whole point of the busways are the future conversion to metro style light rail or Hybrid Electric busses. Gympie road is far too congested for a dedicated bus lane. I think busways are worth it they seem to work and its pleasant waiting for busess at the stations no roar of cars and trucks going by and inhaling fumes etc..Plus all weather less congestion

#Metro

I think there is enough space for T2 lanes where a busway is not present on Gympie Rd.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

techblitz

Quote from: verbatim9 on August 27, 2015, 22:39:07 PM
Gympie road is far too congested for a dedicated bus lane.
add old cleveland road to that verbatim.....it is now struggling heavily due to "mum/dad picking up kids" school traffic which fans heavily into the road around 3pm.....all buses are essentially at a crawl from langlands park to carina.....

pandmaster

Quote from: verbatim9 on August 27, 2015, 22:39:07 PM
Gympie road is far too congested for a dedicated bus lane. ..

This is an oxymoron. A bus lane has more capacity than a car lane. A road can not be "too congested for a bus lane". I think the reason it has not happened is political: Brisbanites may not take to having some road space turfed over to PT. Coupled with bus reform this should divert a significant number of people onto PT.

SurfRail

Old Cleveland Road can and should have bus lanes for most of its length east of Langlands Park apart from the narrowest bits between Bennetts Rd and the Carina "high street".

Gympie Rd should have a combination of non-stop bus lanes and the existing busways from Federation St all the way to Aspley.

Cost to implement - bugger all.
Ride the G:

techblitz

QuoteI think the reason it has not happened is political
IT IS the only reason.......

ozbob

ozbob

A report of the flooding impacts of MBRL has been tabled in Parliament today.

Not online at this stage.  The report found some minor impacts from works but not primary cause.

ozbob

Couriermail --> Moreton Bay Rail Link project affected flooding during Brisbane's May storm

Quote... The report was tabled in Parliament House this afternoon.

A hydraulic review, undertaken by Snowy Mountain Engineering Corporation, found the works had effected flood levels with some areas attracting an additional 105mm of floodwater as a result ...

ozbob

ozbob

^ interesting contrast the reporting of the flood event and MBRL.  CM a semi-sensationalist beat up, Brisbanetimes matter of fact reporting ...

:is-

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

The sad reality of Brisbane and environs is this.  It is in many places known flood plains.  If you build on flood plains they will get flooded from time to time.

Councils have a lot of explaining to do IMHO.

ozbob

ozbob

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20038.html

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - SOUTHEAST QUEENSLAND
for DAMAGING WIND and LARGE HAILSTONES

For people in parts of the
Somerset,
Sunshine Coast,
Brisbane City and
Moreton Bay Council Areas.

Issued at 1:33 pm Tuesday, 29 September 2015.

The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 1:35 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near the area south of Esk and northern Lake Wivenhoe. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east to southeast. They are forecast to affect Lowood, southern Lake Wivenhoe, Somerset Dam and Peachester by 2:05 pm and Fernvale, Mount Nebo, the D'Aguilar Ranges, Mount Mee, Mount Beerwah and Beerwah by 2:35 pm.

ozbob

ozbob

Twitter

EWN Alerts ‏@EWNAlerts 44 seconds ago

QLD Severe T'Storm: Large Hail, Damaging Winds. Ipswich, Mt Nebo and the D'aguilar Ranges, Highvale, Samford and Lake

ozbob

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20038.html

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - SOUTHEAST QUEENSLAND
for DAMAGING WIND and LARGE HAILSTONES

For people in parts of the Ipswich, Logan, Somerset, Brisbane City and Moreton Bay Council Areas.

Issued at 5:21 pm Wednesday, 30 September 2015.

The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 5:25 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Lowood, southern Lake Wivenhoe and Marburg. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east. They are forecast to affect Ipswich, Mount Nebo and the D'Aguilar Ranges by 5:55 pm and Highvale, Samford and Lake Samsonvale by 6:25 pm.

Damaging winds and large hailstones are likely.

đŸĄ± 🡳