• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Flood information - links

Started by ozbob, January 11, 2011, 08:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

JOINT STATEMENT
Premier and Minister for the Arts
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
Minister for Communities, Women and Youth, Minister for Child Safety and Minister for Multicultural Affairs
The Honourable Shannon Fentiman

REISSUE - Hardship relief available to the Deception Bay community

The Palaszczuk Government has announced financial support for the communities hit hardest by Friday's torrential storms in south-east Queensland (areas listed below).

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk visited storm-affected residents today and met with the Mayor of Moreton Bay Regional Council, Cr Allan Sutherland to offer support to those impacted by the deluge.

"It's awful to see the impact of this storm, with some houses inundated by up to a metre of water. We're offering those residents in the worst affected streets immediate hardship assistance," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"It is so heartening to see the way the community has come together to help each other. Neighbours and families are offering meals, a place to stay and accommodation in a wonderful display of community spirit.

"Today I have announced targeted assistance measures funded by the State Government to lend a helping hand to those hit hardest.

"Some of these areas have been absolutely devastated, which is why we need to do everything we can to help them get back on their feet."

Targeted assistance is available to people living in the worst affected streets in Deception Bay and Rothwell, and one street in Mango Hill.

Immediate Hardship Assistance under State Disaster Relief Arrangements is available, along with Essential Household Contents Grants and Structural Assistance Grants.

Communities Minister Shannon Fentiman said 30 Community Recovery and Red Cross staff were already on the ground helping those in need.

"Working with Moreton Bay Regional Council, we've set up a locally-based Community Recovery Hub at Rothwell Community Hall in Morris Road, a one-stop-shop run by Council, my department, Red Cross, Lifeline and GIVIT representatives," Ms Fentiman said.

"My heart goes out to all those whose lives have been turned upside down by this terrible storm. We're offering support to those whose homes were inundated to help them get back on their feet."

Anyone affected and needing support and assistance to recover from this event can either contact the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349 or visit the Community Recovery Hub at Rothwell. Further information is available at www.qld.gov.au/community.

If people need counselling services, please phone 1800 543 354.

The Community Recovery App has been updated with useful information and is available via app stores.

DCCSDS Community Recovery teams on the ground have been door knocking affected streets and homes and have arranged emergency accommodation for those who had nowhere to go.

Streets eligible for assistance include:

Rothwell

Anzac Avenue
    Finnegan Street
    McGahey Street

Deception Bay

Major Street
    Anthony Court
    Embassy Street
    Samantha Court
    Nellie Court
    Delvene Avenue
    Nadine Place
    Melissa Place
    Natalie Close

Mango Hill

Mary Street East

NOTE: correction to Mango Hill address
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

ozbob

^

Twitter

ABC Radio Brisbane @612brisbane 28 minutes ago

Mayor Allan Sutherland: I'm a bit reluctant to point the finger at the rail link until we investigate. We've had an extreme event. #bnerain

ozbob

^

A blog comment:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/queensland-storm-residents-of-deception-bay-claim-moreton-bay-rail-link-works-contributed-to-homes-being-flooded/story-fnkt21jb-1227333302179

QuoteLook where Major Street is, it backs onto a creek that is fed by all the storm water drains in the massive North Lakes development.  That's the reason for the flooding.  We are at the top of the Sheepstation Creek catchment and had more water running through our property than we have ever had before.  My sister lives further down the catchment and the normally benign little gully turned the road that leads to her street into a raging torrent.  Storm water drains couldn't cope with the deluge - 3 hours of rain that was heavier than what we experienced in the lead up to Cyclone Marcia and the remnants of it.

red dragin

It was just a bloody lot of rain. Rail or no rail places where going under.

ozbob

Quote from: red dragin on May 04, 2015, 07:15:52 AM
It was just a bloody lot of rain. Rail or no rail places where going under.

Exactly ...

My blog comment:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/queensland-storm-residents-of-deception-bay-claim-moreton-bay-rail-link-works-contributed-to-homes-being-flooded/story-fnkt21jb-1227333302179

QuoteWe have Fortitude Valley station flooding (3 times in the last 12 months or so).  Never used to happen.  Poorly planned development.  It is the massive run offs from the housing / development explosion is the real issue.  Rail line least of the issues.  As Lynette has commented.

Councils are just too eager to roll over for developments and developers.

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Major+St,+Deception+Bay+QLD+4508/@-27.2230409,153.0122941,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6b93e5584ec3a063:0x53be74fca70a0b20

^ Deception Bay.  I think it is obvious why it flooded, it is the direct line of fire of run off from North Lakes.

These developments change surface flows dramatically and lead to very quick flash floods in high rain fall.  Same thing occurred in Toowoomba.

The North Lakes / Deception Bay areas will always be at risk of flooding.  On virtual flood plains ..

ozbob

I was in the Jindalee pub in 2010.  In the course of conversation I suggested that people were are serious risk of flooding on the Windermere estate.  It had been until a few years earlier a working dairy farm.  Never built on because it is a flood plain.  2011, they went swimming.

Councils have a lot to answer for, they do not seem to factor sufficient safeguards for flood risks.

hU0N

^ That's not strictly true.  It wasn't built on because the land remained in the ownership of Sir Hercules Sinnamon up until 1994, who intended that it be used as a museum / historical village.  It wasn't until his death that it was made available for sale for the first time and was subsequently developed.

Windemere village does contain some extremely low lying land, but development was not permitted in any area lying less than 10m above the high tide of the Brisbane River, which for a suburb on the lower lying south bank of the Brisbane River is not so bad.  (For comparison, the entire suburbs of Graceville, Chelmer and Yeerongpilly to the east are all lower lying; to the west, everything north of Smith's Road in Goodna is about the same level.  For that matter, the entire Brisbane CBD is lower lying than the lowest residential block in Windermere).  And in 2011, the estate did pretty well actually.  The roads in and out were swimming pools, and a number of houses got wet, but most of the properties remained high and dry (although cut off).

There are always going to be flood risks in Brisbane, particularly on the south side of the river where the flood plain extends for literally kilometres from the river channel.  It's about trading off those risks against everything else, and making sure it's low enough for everyone to be comfortable.  You can't live without risk, and you shouldn't try.  Instead we should determine what level of risk is reasonable and work with that.

I mean it's easy to point to a single infrequent event like the 2011 flood and say that the risk was unacceptable and all the houses should have been built on hills.  But you could just as easily point to the Gap Storm (where all the houses on hills got blown apart and all the houses on low land did relatively better) and say that the risk of building houses on hills is unacceptable and they should always be built on low lying ground.

The one thing that can be said about the 2011 floods is that the flood mitigating impact of Wivenhoe (which was built in the wake 1974 to "floodproof" Brisbane) was significantly less than all the models allowed for.  To this end, it was interesting to see the clamour for "magical" backflow prevention devices to be installed all over Brisbane in the wake of 2011 to "floodproof" the suburb.  One hopes that we have learned the Wivenhoe lesson, and count the backflow prevention devices for nothing when it comes to estimating flood risks in the future.  Otherwise people will be caught short all over again.

red dragin

A huge amount of work went into designing and redesigning the railway creek bridge at Rothwell to reduce its impacts on flooding. Wouldn't have helped the tide was coming in at the time either.

Don't forget with 2011 - a lot of water came down the Bremer from the Lockyer valley, nothing Wivenhoe could have done about that.

Golliwog

Quote from: red dragin on May 04, 2015, 21:18:54 PM
A huge amount of work went into designing and redesigning the railway creek bridge at Rothwell to reduce its impacts on flooding. Wouldn't have helped the tide was coming in at the time either.

Don't forget with 2011 - a lot of water came down the Bremer from the Lockyer valley, nothing Wivenhoe could have done about that.

There is however a difference between the final design and what exists during construction to allow for the installation of the finished product.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

Huon, it was a known flood plain.  Not a single event at all, flooded multiple times along there. Years ago people took their chances.  Should not have been developed the way it was IMHO. Although a lot of houses escaped, another flood with a higher level will not be so fortunate.  I used to take my girls to the dairy farm.  The point I was making was that I suggested to the locals that they could get flooded but they seemed not to understand this possibility, at least the ones I was talking to.  I used to live up the road for 20 years.

Same deal with North Lakes etc. just look at the map, watercourses low level everywhere.  Brisbane is in part a massive flood plain. As weather extremes become more frequent, with modified surface runoff patterns expect more 'Deception Bay' like events ...

ozbob

Media Release
Minister for Communities, Women and Youth, Minister for Child Safety and Minister for Multicultural Affairs
The Honourable Shannon Fentiman

Further hardship relief available to help storm-affected areas

The Palaszczuk Government has extended the number of storm-ravaged communities eligible for emergency financial support, following Friday's wild storms in south-east Queensland.

Communities Minister Shannon Fentiman said the Brisbane City Council and Moreton Bay Regional Council had sought extra support.

"More is being learned about the damage wreaked on communities across the south-east from this terrible storm. We're offering those hardest hit a range of emergency financial support to help them get back on their feet," Ms Fentiman said.

"Some people have been left with homes filled with mud and debris, without anywhere to sleep, cook or have a bath. We're working hard to make sure those who most need our support have somewhere to turn," she said.

Community Recovery teams and Red Cross staff are on the ground in local communities and offering support, including doorknocking the worst hit areas to offer help.

Emergency Services Minister Jo-Ann Miller today activated further targeted assistance under the State Disaster Recovery Arrangements for residents living in badly-affected streets in the Moreton Bay and Brisbane City Council local government areas. The assistance is delivered by the Communities Department.

Targeted assistance has been extended to selected streets in Deagon, Taigum, Beachmere, Caboolture, Upper Caboolture, Kallangur, Morayfield, Burpengary and Burpengary East. This builds on support announced yesterday for Deception Bay, Rothwell and Mango Hill.

Immediate Hardship Assistance under State Disaster Relief Arrangements is available, along with Essential Household Contents Grants and Structural Assistance Grants.

An extra Community Recovery Hub has been established at the Grant Road sports and community complex, 28-44 Grant Road, Morayfield, in addition to the one established on Sunday at Rothwell Community Hall in Morris Road, Rothwell.

The Community Recovery Hubs are locally-based one-stop shops for people seeking help, run by the Communities Department, Councils, Red Cross, Lifeline and GIVIT representatives.

Anyone affected and needing support and assistance to recover from this event can either contact the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349 or visit one of the Community Recovery Hubs at Rothwell or Morayfield. Further information is available at www.qld.gov.au/community.

If people need counselling services, please phone 1800 543 354.

The Community Recovery App has been updated with useful information and is available via app stores.

Streets eligible for assistance include:

Brisbane City Council

Deagon

Residences in streets that are east of the railway line at Deagon, west of Cabbage Tree Creek, north of Cabbage Tree Creek and north to Station Road.

These streets include: Blackwood Road, Finnie Street, Phillips Road, Stockham Road, Henderson Road, Hickson Road, Doris Street, Sarah Street, Emily Street, Edith Street, Silvan Road, Station Road, Bridge Street, Bungama Streets as well as Washington Street and Barclay Street

Taigum

Church Road

Moreton Bay Regional Council

Beachmere: Riversleigh Road

Burpengary:Dale Street, Dunbeath Drive and Springfield Drive

Burpengary East: Creek Road, Lakewood Drive and Admiral Drive

Caboolture: Cadaga Place, Camden Street, Dances Road, Dundas Close, Flowers Road, Karri Close and Male Road

Deception Bay: Arina Place and Admiral Drive

Kallangur: Allison Drive and Marler Court

Mango Hill:Mary Street East, Chermside Road, May Street, Rose Street East, Rose Street West

Morayfield: Brundrit Court, Fennell Court, Firetail Court, Grogan Road and Mandlikova Street

Rothwell: Pamphlett Street and Coman Street Sth

Upper Caboolture: Riflebird Drive, Bristlebird Drive and Tattler Court

Areas announced eligible for support on 3rd May

Rothwell

Anzac Avenue, Finnegan Street, McGahey Street

Deception Bay: Major Street, Anthony Court, Embassy Street, Samantha Court, Nellie Court, Delvene Avenue, Nadine Place, Melissa Place and Natalie Close

Mango Hill: Mary Street East

SurfRail

The Gold Coast largely learned from 1974.  Our flood plain is just that - you won't see anything built to the immediate north of Robina.
Ride the G:

OzGamer

Although Windermere flooded in 2011, I don't think any of the houses actually went under. I went around there a couple of days later and although some were within centimetres, I don't think anybody actually had to change the carpet. Probably actually an example of pretty good planning.

ozbob

Quote from: OzGamer on May 05, 2015, 10:09:12 AM
Although Windermere flooded in 2011, I don't think any of the houses actually went under. I went around there a couple of days later and although some were within centimetres, I don't think anybody actually had to change the carpet. Probably actually an example of pretty good planning.

A number did.  See the video above.   The chap who was running the Oxley Service station also had a house there.  Both were flooded.

Point is, if you continue to build on flood plains, it is just increasing the areas of impact for the next flood.  Houses at Windermere should be all elevated with water resistant construction.  This is what our early pioneers in Brisbane did, high set with VJ walls and so forth.  Putting boxes of ticky tacky on concrete slabs on flood plains around Brisbane is lunacy ..  just my view point.

ozbob

The new hospital on the Sunshine Coast is on a flood plain.  This against the recommendations of the task force report following the 2010 cyclone up north.

They just never learn.  The hospital site has had direct cyclone hits.  Major infrastructure like hospitals need to be inland and able to be operated during a cyclone and so forth.  A cyclone in line for the Sunshine Coast will just lead to evacuations and major disruption to the hospital when it is really needed.  The then state government's scientist suggested the hospital not be built on the flood plain ...

Queenslanders!  Nit wits ...

ozbob

^

See below, interesting thread .. >> http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9035.0

eg.

Quote from: ozbob on September 03, 2012, 16:23:49 PM
http://www.chiefscientist.qld.gov.au/publications/understanding-floods/assets/sunshine-coast-daily-we-develop-our-own-risk-1-august-2011.pdf

Quote... It raises serious questions about
the location of the proposed Sunshine
Coast University Hospital
with its recommendation that
"critical facilities, such as
emergency hospitals,
should ideally be located in
areas where they will not
flood and can operate
during a flood event ...

Seems not alone with concerns ...

I wouldn't build a house in a sea canal estate, let alone a major hospital adjacent to one ...

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on May 05, 2015, 10:14:35 AM
Quote from: OzGamer on May 05, 2015, 10:09:12 AM

A number did.  See the video above.   The chap who was running the Oxley Service station also had a house there.  Both were flooded.

Point is, if you continue to build on flood plains, it is just increasing the areas of impact for the next flood.  Houses at Windermere should be all elevated with water resistant construction.  This is what our early pioneers in Brisbane did, high set with VJ walls and so forth.  Putting boxes of ticky tacky on concrete slabs on flood plains around Brisbane is lunacy ..  just my view point.

More recent flood plain development at Westlake ..  :fp:

ozbob

Twitter

Kerrin Binnie ‏@kerrinbinnie 19 minutes ago

Another inquiry into 2011 Grantham flood. http://ab.co/1JMWQIp  @abcnews #qldpol

ozbob

Twitter

Katherine Feeney ‏@katherinefeeney

Gov also announces "immediate independent review" into flooding concerns raised by residents near the Moreton Bay Rail Link (MBRL) #qldpol

ozbob

Media Release
Premier and Minister for the Arts
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

Commission of Inquiry seeks Grantham flood answers

The Queensland Government will hold a new Commission of Inquiry into the flooding of the Lockyer Creek between Helidon and Grantham in January 2011, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced today.

Speaking in Parliament, Ms Palaszczuk said the Commission of Inquiry would be chaired by respected QC Walter Sofronoff and would run from May 11, 2015 until August 31, 2015 to allow independent modelling to take place.

"A DHI consultant report published in The Australian newspaper has suggested several inconsistencies," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"The report has found that a section of embankment that collapsed at the Grantham quarry was 260 metres long – not 55 metres as initially reported by the Queensland Floods Commission of Inquiry.

"This DHI report has found there were also multiple breaches of the quarry wall rather than just a single breach."

Ms Palaszczuk said Grantham residents and their Mayor, Steve Jones, had been calling for the Inquiry.

"They are determined that the deaths of their friends and neighbours and family members on that day will not be in vain," she said.

"The people of Grantham have suffered through an horrific, terrifying, fatal event.

"They deserve and require further closure. They want the truth to prevail."

It is expected the consultation phase of the Inquiry will be limited to about two weeks.

There will likely be a call for public submissions and those who will provide eyewitness accounts other than Grantham residents will include police officers, fire and emergency staff and possibly the former owners of the quarry.

The five key terms of reference for the Inquiry are:

the impacts of man-made and natural features of the landscape which could have altered or contributed to the flooding;
    whether the existence or breach of the Grantham quarry caused or contributed to the flooding
    whether the quarry had a material impact on the damage caused,
    whether the breach of the quarry had implications for the evacuation of the town and
    how these matters were initially investigated and how eyewitness accounts were dealt with in the aftermath.

colinw

Quote from: ozbob on May 05, 2015, 10:22:09 AM
The new hospital on the Sunshine Coast is on a flood plain.  This against the recommendations of the task force report following the 2010 cyclone up north.

They just never learn.  The hospital site has had direct cyclone hits.  Major infrastructure like hospitals need to be inland and able to be operated during a cyclone and so forth.  A cyclone in line for the Sunshine Coast will just lead to evacuations and major disruption to the hospital when it is really needed.  The then state government's scientist suggested the hospital not be built on the flood plain ...

Queenslanders!  Nit wits ...

This place is special, no doubt about it.

I grew up in Toowoomba.  That the confluence of creeks in the centre of town could do what happened in 2011 was far from secret to families who had been there for generations. Saw it a couple of times myself during the 1970s. There are photos in existence of Ruthven St, Toowoomba deep under water on multiple occasions, and of water up to platform level at Toowoomba station early in the 20th century.

But when it happened again in 2011, everyone acted with such complete horror. "But its on top of a mountain".

Look at the topography you dumb ***ks.

As for the "investigation" into the flooding at Deception Bay and trying to pin it on the railway (no doubt in order to find a high value target to sue).  Give me a break.

Root cause:  IT RAINED.  A LOT.

Secondary causes:  Houses built at low level on virtual flood plain.  High tide.  Lots of runoff from development upstream.

A quick look at Google Maps, which shows the railway under construction, clearly shows that the rail bridge over Hays Inlet allows a much bigger flow channel than the embankment and bridges of Anzac Ave upstream do.

Sometimes the stupidity of this state burns so much I want to just give up and move to Victoria (about the only rationally run part of this country IMHO).

Centre of Toowoomba (Russell St), 1926:

Centre of Toowoomba, 1908:

And yet we act surprised.  Dumbasses.

hU0N

Quote from: ozbob on May 05, 2015, 03:00:22 AM
Huon, it was a known flood plain.  Not a single event at all, flooded multiple times along there. Years ago people took their chances.  Should not have been developed the way it was IMHO. Although a lot of houses escaped, another flood with a higher level will not be so fortunate.  I used to take my girls to the dairy farm.  The point I was making was that I suggested to the locals that they could get flooded but they seemed not to understand this possibility, at least the ones I was talking to.  I used to live up the road for 20 years.

Same deal with North Lakes etc. just look at the map, watercourses low level everywhere.  Brisbane is in part a massive flood plain. As weather extremes become more frequent, with modified surface runoff patterns expect more 'Deception Bay' like events ...

Ahh yes.  It's my 'hood too.  I grew up in Jindalee.  I agree with you BTW about people not understanding the flood risks.  A few years before 2011, there started to be rumours that there was something squiffy with the council flood modelling, and perhaps the flood mitigation impacts of various dams was less than what had been allowed for. IIRC, this provoked Windermere residents to complain something needed to be done to prevent council from revising the Q100 level to reflect the latest modelling, lest such a revision negatively impact their property values.

My point actually was that Windermere isn't particularly low lying amongst Brisbane riverside flood levels, and that the design of the estate was fairly well done, exemplified by the fact that the vast majority of houses in the subdivision came through the floods high and dry.

ozbob

Indeed Huon, most of the houses got through at Windermere, might not be so lucky next time.

I hear you Colin, moving to the land of 5' 3", 4' 8.5" and 2'6"  becomes more attractive by the day ..

The big flood worry to my mind is a double (or even triple) cyclones/rain events.  This occurred in 1893.  First one will fill all the dams, even the flood compartments.  Second will just be a massive flood, probably at near 1893 peaks.  This will be absolutely devastating for Brisbane, will make 1974 and 2011 look like baby baths ...

'Pillar of courage at Goodna'  shows the major flood heights at Goodna on that spot.  Look at 1893 levels ... whoa

colinw

What that impressive marker at Goodna does not show is the level of the event some years before 1824, which John Oxley wrote about thus:

Quote"the starboard bank an elevated flat of rich land, declining to a point where had evidently by its sandy shore and pebbly surface, been at some time washed by an inundation; a flood would be too weak an expression to use for a collection of water rising to the full height (full fifty feet) which the appearance of the shore here renders possible."

Source: http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/flood/fld_history/brisbane_history.shtml

Brisbane River at City Gauge:

Bremer River at Ipswich:

Don't say you weren't warned!  :bg:

Been trying to talk the wife into us moving to Victoria for a while now.  Slowly wearing her down :)

ozbob

colinw

Quote from: ozbob on May 05, 2015, 14:13:04 PM
Brisbanetimes --> Rail link flooding probed

:bo
What a waste.  Look upstream people!

The rail bridge over Hays Inlet is longer and could accommodate more flow than the road bridge upstream.  Figure it out!

ozbob

^ well at least the investigation should clarify it once and for all. 

The signs are around that flood planning has been based on some fairly low expected rainfalls and levels.  Even good old Fortitude Valley station has been for some recent swims.  Rain events becoming more frequent.  Study those flood level maps carefully folks when purchasing real estate or even renting for that matter!

red dragin

Quote from: ozbob on May 05, 2015, 15:38:41 PM
Study those flood level maps carefully folks when purchasing real estate or even renting for that matter!

:-t :-t

I'm worried about all the developments in Griffin on the northern side of Dohles Rocks Rd. What was once floodplain has been built up around 2 metres.

But that area is still where all the water drains too, just has a lot less "storage" capacity now. Places that where high & dry (just) may go under more easily in future. Henry Road, Griffin, was under water just from the lighter overnight rain Thursday night & Friday morning.

Oh and the old Boral site at Lawnton has been built up around 4 metres, all former flood plain.

James

Quote from: ozbob on May 05, 2015, 15:38:41 PMStudy those flood level maps carefully folks when purchasing real estate or even renting for that matter!

Truer words have not been said. There is a townhouse complex called 'The Links' right next to Sandy Creek (Taringa/St Lucia). The creek mostly passes through school ovals and parkland, but right next to it on former Golf Course land is the complex. Built in 2005, all of it went under in the 2011 floods, and its plausible a few got wet feet on Friday night too. Should have never been developed.

There are so many developments built in recent years on former floodplain which really should be given back to the community as parkland, or built up so only carparks exist below the 2011 flood level (like a few of the new developments being built in St Lucia now).
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

ozbob

Indeed.  2011 flood levels although a major flood where not that high as say 1974.  I was in Brisbane for the 1974 floods, although a higher level flood overall not as much mayhem and mess basically because a lot of the recent at risk areas were not built on, and older houses better able to withstand the effects of floods.

There is no doubt that Brisbane will be flooded again, just a matter of when.   Resilience of construction is important.  A house on flood plains should not have gyprock walls for example. Defensive construction needs to be deployed a lot more, this can greatly reduce impacts of flood inundations ..

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> Moreton Bay Rail Link flooding probed

I can well understand local concerns.  " It hasn't flooded before, must be the new railway "  ..

Well the reality is there was around 300 mm (12 inches) of rain in the area in a very short time.  This would produce massive runoff,  particularly from North Lakes etc.  The whole area North Lakes, Deception Bay is a mess of low level former mangrove swamps and water courses.  Frankly, with such heavy rain how it could it not flood? As Colin has pointed out, the road bridge is much more of an issue than the rail bridge (rail is also down stream from road bridge).  The floods I believe were simply a function of the massive runoff as the rain fell.  Look forward to the review report.  Some minor issues near the railway embankment but I expect that would be it.

dancingmongoose

They're just looking for a scapegoat because the true culprit, the rain, is not subject to the laws governing compensation.

ozbob

ozbob

red dragin

A full hydrology study conducted in a week?

As Bob would say - ffs!  :fp:

🡱 🡳