• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

BUZ 120

Started by #Metro, December 30, 2010, 14:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

#Metro

Your thoughts? Does it need to be BUZzed or just a few more services here and there?
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

#Metro

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

STB

As a regular of Griffith University (Nathan Campus - my 'Home' Campus).  Based on the patronage movements, I'd suggest route 135 would make a better BUZ than route 120, far more students use route 135 than route 120.  Those who do use Route 120 (at 90% of students/workers out of the university) get off at QE II Hospital and/or Musgrave Road where the majority of student housing is found.  After this the patronage drops dramatically and is fairly average beyond that.

The reason we uni students use route 135 rather than route 120 is simply because it's more direct and links in with the Mt Gravatt campus as well (via a walk up a nice little hill).

somebody

Quote from: STB on December 30, 2010, 14:24:36 PM
As a regular of Griffith University (Nathan Campus - my 'Home' Campus).  Based on the patronage movements, I'd suggest route 135 would make a better BUZ than route 120, far more students use route 135 than route 120.  Those who do use Route 120 (at 90% of students/workers out of the university) get off at QE II Hospital and/or Musgrave Road where the majority of student housing is found.  After this the patronage drops dramatically and is fairly average beyond that.

The reason we uni students use route 135 rather than route 120 is simply because it's more direct and links in with the Mt Gravatt campus as well (via a walk up a nice little hill).
You'd agree though that the Griffith Uni service is a secondary reason for the 120's existence?  It's mostly a dormitory suburb route to Tarragindi, so I'm not surprised it doesn't have too many people on it at the Uni.

While the 135 does provide a service to Hellawell Rd, it still leaves large swathes of vicinity of Jackson Rd unserved.  I don't think I could support BUZing this one on its current route.  Why's it go back to Mains Rd rather than going down Stones Rd?  Is the Parkinson extension necessary?  Seems to be a few limitations with the route IMO.

STB

Quote from: somebody on December 30, 2010, 17:20:13 PM
Quote from: STB on December 30, 2010, 14:24:36 PM

You'd agree though that the Griffith Uni service is a secondary reason for the 120's existence?  It's mostly a dormitory suburb route to Tarragindi, so I'm not surprised it doesn't have too many people on it at the Uni.

Only for the Garden City to Griffith Uni section.  Beyond that on the inbound route 120, only to QE II Hospital, although they tend to catch anything that will head down there.  Always a mass exodus from a standing load to an average load between Griffith Uni and QE II Hospital.  Between Griffith Uni and Garden City, a solid load but not too major.

somebody

Quote from: tramtrain on December 30, 2010, 14:02:10 PM
Your thoughts? Does it need to be BUZzed or just a few more services here and there?
To respond to this, I think it is on the list of routes which need to be BUZed, but it is behind already busy routes like the 330 and even 375.

somebody

Quote from: somebody on December 30, 2010, 17:20:13 PM
Why's it go back to Mains Rd rather than going down Stones Rd? 
I think Google Earth has the answer to this question: during the construction of the Salisbury-Kuraby triple, it seems that the level crossing was closed to road traffic!

Otherwise going back to Mains Rd is pretty dumb.  That service is provided from Griffith Uni with the 145, and from the CBD with the 130/140.

MaxHeadway

Quote from: somebody on December 30, 2010, 17:20:13 PMWhy's [the 135] go back to Mains Rd rather than going down Stones Rd?
In 2003, there was an accident where a low-floor bus doing the 135 got stuck on the level crossing, and was hit by a Gold Coast line train. The driver died from his injuries a short time later.

somebody

Quote from: MaxHeadway on January 01, 2011, 19:38:22 PM
Quote from: somebody on December 30, 2010, 17:20:13 PMWhy's [the 135] go back to Mains Rd rather than going down Stones Rd?
In 2003, there was an accident where a low-floor bus doing the 135 got stuck on the level crossing, and was hit by a Gold Coast line train. The driver died from his injuries a short time later.
Ok, but is anything particular about this level crossing that makes it more dangerous than any other one?

MaxHeadway

Quote from: somebody on January 01, 2011, 20:15:43 PMIs anything particular about this level crossing that makes it more dangerous than any other one?
Stones Rd goes downhill, so that makes it more likely that the underside of a bus will touch the ground through the level crossing.

somebody

I understand now what you are saying about it being stuck due to the crossing being unsafe for buses.  I wonder if they could fix the crossing so it can be safely operated by buses?  The ideal solution would be a road underpass, I imagine, but I'd think a cheaper solution of just making an embankment on Stones Rd so that it is flat through the level crossing would be more realistic.

The current arrangements mean that a sizeable part of Brisbane lacks a reasonable PT service, which is unfortunate.

Thanks for that (sombre) info, MaxHeadway!

somebody

Quote from: MaxHeadway on January 01, 2011, 19:38:22 PM
Would there be a link to something on this one?  I couldn't find anything easily on Google.

🡱 🡳