Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Poll

Overall performance for 2010.  Consider all modes - bus, ferry and rail  please.

4 or less
4 (14.3%)
1 (3.6%)
1 (3.6%)
4 (14.3%)
11 (39.3%)
6 (21.4%)
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Go card - please rate out of 10.  (Read 3206 times)

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
Go card - please rate out of 10.
« on: November 28, 2010, 07:02:18 AM »
Have your say!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 03:51:15 PM by ozbob »
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Instagram   Facebook  @ozbob13@mastodon.social

STB

Re: Go card - please rate out of 10.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 01:57:36 PM »
Despite the GPS issues I had earlier this year, I haven't had really any troubles with it. 

The technology itself seems to be working for the majority of the time that I've been using it, and I've had quite heavy use of it over the past 12 months.   Better training for the drivers who are using it would come in handy as I've seen some not quite right human errors by the drivers explaining the Go card to the passengers and in it's use such as not identifying/not wanting to override the GPS when it's failed.

Also the messages when you touch on and touch off really need to be a little less 'nerdy' and more customer focussed, especially for those who aren't tech savvy.

Offline Otto

• Here, There, Everywhere
    • Kirri Ku Japanese Spitz
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 02:43:52 PM »
A major software upgrade will coincide with the fare rise..

2013, SNO's 13. Evaders 157
2014, SNO's 05. Evaders 075
2015, SNO's 05. Evaders 102
2016, SNO's 05. Evaders 217
2017, SNO's 03. Evaders 272
2018, SNO's 03. Evaders 487
2019, SNO's 04. Evaders 815
2020, SNO's 01. Evaders 131
Suspended

somebody

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 03:13:16 PM »
I also find the Go Card quite good.

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
The odd hiccup, but essentially solid on rail except for the weak link, the go gates.  

Still the odd issue on bus.  The new reader at Oxley is an improvement and more readers have been placed out on the network.

Fare structure still room to move, but some welcome improvements with the journey capping for Seniors and Seniors +go.  15 % off peak next year is a small offset for the 15% fare increase from Jan 17.  

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 03:52:34 PM by ozbob »

Offline Fares_Fair

• Duplicate the Sunshine Coast Line (#2tracks)
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »
I am still using my 12 month ticket, it expires on 30 December, 2010.
Never to be seen again.  :'(

I shall miss it dearly (actually cheaply if you get my point) !
I saved $1820 in yearly travel costs compared to the Gocard this year.

I see Gocard queues every afternoon at Landsborough station where they have only 1 reader at the exit nearest the main building. I'd hate to think what it will be like come January when all will be using the card.

Palmwoods, where I disembark, has 2 readers at it's sole exit point.
Come next year I shall have to change my picture here as the fight against the cost increases of the Gocard are laid to rest.
15% regular annual increases up to 2014 are now the order of the day .... and this government.  :pr

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:25:55 PM by Fares_Fair »
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Offline Otto

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 04:55:09 PM »
I am still using my 12 month ticket, it expires on 30 December, 2010.

My understanding is that you should still be able to buy a monthly ticket till Jan 17th.. Would still be better value than using a GoCard for you Fares_Fair ?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:56:40 PM by Otto »

Suspended

Offline Fares_Fair

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 05:58:44 PM »
Hello Otto,

Thank you very much for the information.  :-t
I didn't know.
I'll certainly check it out.

That'll stave off the pain until 16th February.

With the 15% increases I'm thinking I should change my name here to Fares_Unfair !  :)
I know that it is supposed to be used to raise the subsidisation level of commuters towards their PT, but it still hurts.
It used to be that my taxes paid for it - so where do all my taxes go now?

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 06:00:20 PM by Fares_Fair »
Regards,
Fares_Fair

STB

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 06:01:07 PM »
Keep in mind Fares Fair that your beloved yearly ticket doesn't allow travel on buses and ferries.  I'm not sure if you use buses and/or ferries, but surely that's a trade off you can handle?

Offline Fares_Fair

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 06:03:06 PM »
True, STB.

Understood, my preference isn't necessarily best for all.
The only time I get the bus is when the train breaks down ...  :)

Regards,
Fares_Fair
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Offline Emmie

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 05:20:25 AM »
I've encountered far fewer glitches than last year. 

Blessedly rapid loading on buses, as most people now use GO.  Still no sign of the top up machines at either bus station at UQ, which is hampering take up.  A few free bus rides with broken equipment, and occasionally a 'false negative' red light saying 'already touched', when I know I haven't.

On the train, when TOs come through, most are on GO, and most TOs check them. Still a lot of grizzles from casual users at the train station, and new users having trouble touching off.

No problems on ferries.

Main problem - the fare structure, and the one hour gap between trips within a continuation.

Offline brismike

• Purple Deltic
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 10:31:51 AM »
Mine always works when I use it which is on average once every three weeks. It is also very easy to top up online. A few mouse clicks at my desk and its done. Think we could do with more card readers at suburban stations though. at least two at each end of the platform and a couple in the middle too. Regards Mike

colinw

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 10:42:24 AM »
9/10.  I love my Go Card and don't EVER want to go back to the old ticking system.

Works flawlessly & seamlessly, has worked wonders for on-time running of my local bus service thanks to rapid boarding.

Only reason I didn't vote 10/10 - the SNAFU with Go Card fares for AirTrain, and generally fumbled roll-out.  The card & technology is fine, the way it was introduced was not.

Offline Otto

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 06:47:59 PM »
One thing worth mentioning from my GoCard training session today..

As of the 17th Jan, as part of the software upgrade (on buses), Passengers who touch on and then touch off at the rear door readers whilst still at the same stop will be charged an immediate fixed fare. GoCard users will only be able to cancel touchons at the drivers gocard reader...

Suspended

Offline #Metro

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 06:55:13 PM »

As of the 17th Jan, as part of the software upgrade (on buses), Passengers who touch on and then touch off at the rear door readers whilst still at the same stop will be charged an immediate fixed fare. GoCard users will only be able to cancel touchons at the drivers gocard reader...

Ouch! That will sting those fare evaders...
Negative people... have a problem for every solution.
Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members. Not affiliated with, paid by or in conspiracy with MTR/Metro.

STB

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 09:45:39 PM »

Oh nice.  Not sure if those silly school students who do that will really notice though?  Personally, I'd prefer seeing a red light when the rear readers are touched with a message of 'See Driver to Cancel Trip' or something along those lines?

Offline #Metro

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 09:54:15 PM »
I think the sound should be different when there are insufficient funds.
The light goes red and some drivers generally just wave them through thinking it is just another card malfunction when really they used up their credit. Suggestion: Ka-Ching! sound plus red light  ;)
Negative people... have a problem for every solution.
Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members. Not affiliated with, paid by or in conspiracy with MTR/Metro.

Offline Golliwog

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 11:20:19 PM »

Oh nice.  Not sure if those silly school students who do that will really notice though?  Personally, I'd prefer seeing a red light when the rear readers are touched with a message of 'See Driver to Cancel Trip' or something along those lines?

No I think the planned new setup is appropriate. How many people legitimately cancel their trips at the same stop after they've already sat down somewhere up the back of the bus? Although perhaps a small education campaign would be appropriate?

As for "those silly school student" noticing, they may not at the time, but I assure you when they notice their balance dropping off they will. Or their parents will if thats who pays for their travel.
There is no silver bullet… but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Derwan

• Global Moderator
  • Now a bus person
    • Andrew's Place
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 11:05:17 AM »
The Go Card itself is great.  I use it every day and don't have to think about it because I have auto top-up enabled.

Not a perfect score though.  There are still issues with hardware and software - and people still don't like fare structure.
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

Offline palmboy

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 08:43:21 AM »
- I still get the occasional over-charge
- Being able to notify translink of overcharge via the website is great - with no need to ring them
- I went into transport Info Centre to request a Go Card statement but this can only be done over the phone - WHY???? You should be able to do this at info centre (even if they had a dedicated phone to translink for customer use)
- Inadequate numbers of readers at train stations.
- Fairer fare structure is still needed for people on standard Adult Go Card

Offline DBL

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 10:54:02 AM »
I gave the lowest score I could for Go Card as I detest it greatly and will be sad when I have to give up my weekly and monthly tickets.  The reasons I gave Go Card a low score are:
(1)  The penalties that are charged even when it's not my fault - faulty machines, double touching accidently due to unreadable screens, etc.
(2)  The lack of capping.  A Go Card is like a taxi meter that never turns off unless you're a Senior/Pensioner
(3)  If you register the Go Card your movements may be divulged to the Police
(4)  The unfriendliness of Translink managment when you have to deal with them.  The perception is they are mean and tricky. They do not appear to me to be on the side of their customers (which is the reason for their existence).
I hope that when the current contract with Cubic expires the government find a better system than Go Card as I find it expensive and user unfriendly being turned into a "touch-on" "touch-off" robot like one of Pavlov's dogs. 

If some people love Go Card then let the enthusiasts have their fix but for the rest of us who don't like being penalised or being treated like a robot we'd prefer there still be the option of periodical tickets.

Offline Fares_Fair

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 12:48:09 PM »
Hello DBL and Palmboy,

If you have had issues with TRANSLink and their response or lack thereof.
Please go to my 30 day Poll at http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=5037.0
and have your say.

Thank you.

Regards,
Fares_Fair
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 05:42:05 PM »
Score 7.4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan