Queensland UTC +10
Terms of use Privacy About us Media Contact

Links

Author Topic: Are electric cars a solution?  (Read 1841 times)

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
Are electric cars a solution?
« on: November 13, 2010, 05:05:45 PM »
If you search the web you will find a large number of interesting reports on electric vehicles.  Sometimes touted as the next solution the reality is they are not.  To replace the present petrol fleet of cars with an electric equivalent (ignoring the technical limitations)  would need an increase in electricity generation capacity anywhere from 2 to 6 times the present outputs for a start.  Hydrogen powered vehicles, intrinsically attractive, burn hydrogen and oxygen you get water ...  where does the hydrogen come from?.  It takes a lot of electrical energy to make hydrogen in the amounts that would be needed.  Ok biofuels?  Ethanol, bio diesel and so forth.  Some utility but simply not possible to produce the amounts that would be needed to replace the present car fleet, let alone projections.  Hybrids?   I have had a hybrid car for 4 years, they are very fuel efficient and will give a buffer against price rises of oil, but they are expensive and need a higher energy input to construct.  But if every car was a hybrid the fuel consumption of Australia would be halved or thereabouts.  Only an interim solution from my view point.

So as oil becomes an increasingly expensive and restricted resource, supplies will be rationed for essential needs including the military. Rail will become the mode for all long haul freight, and I would suggest passenger transport as well.  Electric rail is very efficient.  There is a lot of work going on with sustainable power generation and this will be sufficient for rail needs.

Electric vehicles will be used for local delivery and I suggest taxis.  Some of the more well to do may have personal electric vehicles.  The present road systems are more than adequate now.  We must start on establishing the necessary rail links and planning for the changes that are on the way.  Other nations are well on the way, Australia largely still has its eyes shut.  Wake up!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 05:34:13 PM by ozbob »
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
  Bob's Blog

Offline johnnigh

• Active transport is also a lot of fun!
Re: Are electric cars a solution?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 05:12:43 PM »
So fire up those coal-fired power stations, get Hazelwood into top gear for Melbourne's electric cars and just see the CO2 emissions rocket!  :pr

There's little relief from environmental purity short of getting rid of mechanically powered private transport. >:(

Offline #Metro

• DON'T SIGN! DON'T RENEW!!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 05:13:11 PM »
Ha. The battery would run flat sitting in congestion. And what will be done with the millions and millions of batteries to power these things.
We have been hearing about the advent of the electric car for decades and decades, and they have not gone mainstream yet. We already have the public transport version of the electric car- electric trolleybuses, electric trams, and electric trains.

Why re-invent the wheel again???
Negative people... have a problem for every solution.
Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members. Not affiliated with, paid by or in conspiracy with MTR/Metro.

Offline Jonno

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 05:26:45 PM »
Electric cars do not solve conestion so the cars stuck in horrendous congestion are electric and if we keep building more roads people just end up traveling further as well. They are part if the solution to reduce them emissions of the 25% of trips that have to be by motor vehicle but they in no way THE solution.

somebody

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »
Electric cars do not solve conestion so the cars stuck in horrendous congestion are electric and if we keep building more roads people just end up traveling further as well. They are part if the solution to reduce them emissions of the 25% of trips that have to be by motor vehicle but they in no way THE solution.
That's about right.

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 06:53:43 PM »
Interesting commentary from an American perspective

Electric Cars Aren't Really Green; They're Just Less Gray

" .... So, if you really want to be green, it’s better to get pumped about light rails instead of Leafs. "

Leafs = Nissan Leaf an electric vehicle
  Bob's Blog

colinw

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 01:29:28 PM »
Single occupant vehicles are not the answer, no matter how they are powered.

I really do not see hybrid vehicles like the Prius solving much in the way of problems.  It is still a big heavy lump of vehicle, with a high environmental cost covering manufacture, transport of the thing from its country of origin, chemicals in battery systems & who knows what else?

Biofuels - not a chance.  To convert the entire transport needs of the world over to bio-ethanol we would need about four Earths worth of crop space, not to mention taking away food cropping.

The answers are, in my opinion:

- Sustainable mass transit (rail, bus, whatever)
- Travel less! Live near where you work, or work from home if your job permits it.

My job is one that could be performed almost entirely from home, and I do in fact work from home some of the time, logging in via VPN.  I find those home days are often the most productive, because they are free of distractions.  The only reason I don't do it with a formal agreement for some number of days per week is the boofheaded attitude of my employer - they simply are not prepared to consider it.

This is one of the reasons I hate the idea of satellite cities like Flagstone.  Unless everyone has a job that can be done remotely, or works in the local area, then we are creating an entire city of 100,000+ who will be dependent on a long distance commute.  Even if rail gets an 80% share of that commute, that is still a big energy burn to get those people to work compared to working near where you live.

While I applaud the success of lines like Gold Coast & Mandurah, I do question whether it is desirable to have these 70+ km commutes to work at all.

Offline #Metro

• DON'T SIGN! DON'T RENEW!!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 01:56:54 PM »
While I applaud the success of lines like Gold Coast & Mandurah, I do question whether it is desirable to have these 70+ km commutes to work at all.

I think it is important to have the connection. The rail line is great for going to the Gold or Sunshine Coasts without a car.
Without the rail line, you would not be able to go there.

My view is that if SEQ goes down that path, these places need to get a strong town centre (i.e mini-CBD) built around rail stations with business that will anchor the rest there.
Canberra, and even Sydney is probably the closest to this model. However this is not a panacea either. Sydney has Paramatta, Canberra has Belconnen and Woden- and people still
travel around everywhere.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution.
Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members. Not affiliated with, paid by or in conspiracy with MTR/Metro.

Online ozbob

• Administrator
    • RAIL Back On Track
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 02:32:36 AM »
Brisbanetimes --> Electric car charging stations to be built across Queensland

Southport's Rodney Peachey is one of the first 700 Queenslanders to own an electric car, having owned his Tesla for three months.

Soon, Mr Peachy's car will have a wider range, following the launch of Queensland's first-ever network of electric car chargers.

If all goes to plan, Queensland will have 18 electric vehicle charging stations along the coastline and west to Toowoomba within six months.

For the first 12 months, they will be available for use free to charge.

The chargers will be between 100 and 210 kilometres apart and the network will cost taxpayers about $3 million to put in place and to fund the 12 months of free charging.

Mr Peachey's Tesla P100 D has a range of 500 kilometres when it is fully charged.

In addition to the 700 electric cars in Queensland, there are also aviyt 15,000 petrol/electric hybrids.

Chargers will be built at:

Cairns;
    Tully;
    Townsville;
    Bowen;
    Mackay;
    Carmila;
    Marlborough;
    Rockhampton;
    Miriam Vale;
    Childers;
    Maryborough;
    Cooroy;
    Brisbane;
    Helensvale;
    Coolangatta;
    Springfield;
    Gatton; and
    Toowoomba.

The biggest distance between the chargers is in north Queensland, with 202 kilometres between Bowen andTownsville, and 208 kilometres between Townsville and Tully.

"In the initial stage this will be provided free of charge and it will be sourced from renewable energy, or from offset sources," acting Main Roads and Environment Minister Steven Miles said at Thursday's launch.

"They will be available for use at no cost for the initial phase of the super highway so we can encourage as many people as possible to start using them."

After that, they will cost about $45 per month.

The range of electic cars vary, withthe Nissan Leaf able to drive188 kilometres, which will push motorists driving between some Queensland charging stations to the limit.

A Hyuandi Ioniq Electric has a range of 199 kilometres. The Chevrolet Bolt can travel 383 kilometres.

Teslas have a range of around 539 kilometres.

Most are now available in Australia.

Mr Peachey said electric cars were more efficient in "stop-start" traffic, similar to the halting, jolting traffic on the M1 between Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

"It gets better distance if it is stop-start traffic," he said.

"I get around 650 kilometres in that sort of traffic."

Mr Peachey and fellow electric car owner, Ray Newman, were both converts to the world of electric cars.

"I think in the next two or three years, there will be all types of electric cars when they see what the Tesla can do," Mr Peachey said.

His service bills are lower, with no gearbox, "no grease and oil change" and only the brake fluid to change every two years. Mr Peachy pays several hundred dollars for an annual check.

Mr Newman also drives an American-made Tesla which he bought 2˝ years ago when it was relatively expensive, coming at a price tag of $128,000.

While the cost was "comparable" to his Mercedes-Benz, Mr Newman siad it was a lot cheaper to run.

"I just plug it in at home, which costs me a bit of $1000 a year in electricity," Mr Newman said.

Mr Newman, who has driven his Tesla to Sydney and back five times and down to Melbourne over Christmas, has racked up 50,000 kilometres on his odometer.

New South Wales and Victoria already have a network of electric chargers, to which the car's satellite navigation system guides Mr Newman.

"Here, it is a little bit more sparse, but this is certainly going to help," he said.

Mr Newman said driving longer distances with electric cars was getting easier.

"It is already feasible, " Mr Newman said.

"It is just a little slow if you have to stop (overnight) at a destination changeover," he said.

"It just means you have to stay overnight if you want to charge up."

Residential and workplaces use portable AC chargers and charge overnight.

The chargers at the 18 Queensland sites will be bigger and not easily moved, but they will charge faster and have different connection leads to suit different electric cars.

They use direct current and can charge a vehicle to 80 per cent of its battery capacity within 30 minutes.

Electric Vehicle Council chief executive Behyad Jafari said the state government had sent a good message to the industry.

"This initial support from government serves as a signal to the market that Queensland is serious about electric vehicles and provides certainty to unlock investment to grow our economy and create new, high skilled jobs,"  he said.

"I encourage all governments across Australia to follow suit, particularly as this support will help to provide motorists with increased choice of cars that are cheaper and healthier to operate."
  Bob's Blog

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 

“You can't understand a city without using its public transportation system.” -- Erol Ozan