• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Roads - articles and discussion

Started by ozbob, November 02, 2010, 03:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

ozbob

Golliwog

Quote from: Golliwog on November 10, 2011, 20:39:06 PM
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name/S/Stafford-Road-and-South-Pine-Road-Intersection-Planning-Study.aspx#project-info
Stafford Road and South Pine Road Intersection Planning Study

Overview:

The Department of Transport and Main Roads is undertaking a planning study for the upgrade of the Stafford Road and South Pine Road intersection and has developed a concept plan designed to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion at the intersection.

Concept design: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/f2f3a783-efba-4d4b-81f8-26ecd52377f2/20111107staffordsthpineconceptmappage45combined.pdf

Contact details

Email:    stafford.southpine@tmr.qld.gov.au
Phone:    1800 089 750
Post:    Stafford Road and South Pine Road Intersection Planning Study
Department of Transport and Main Roads
PO Box 70
Spring Hill QLD 4001

I sent off a comment or two about the lack of bus priority measures through this project. Made mention of the Connection SEQ document, and the Transitway that is meant to go through this area and from what I can work out, down South Pine Rd. Got a response last week that my comments have been taken on board and will be considered when refining the concept design, which they hope to re-release in mid-2012. We shall see what we shall see.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

somebody

#Metro

I sent off a comment or two about the lack of bus priority measures through this project. Made mention of the Connection SEQ document, and the Transitway that is meant to go through this area and from what I can work out, down South Pine Rd. Got a response last week that my comments have been taken on board and will be considered when refining the concept design, which they hope to re-release in mid-2012. We shall see what we shall see.

Code for "as a first stage to a full blown motorway down this alignment"
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Golliwog

Quote from: Simon on December 29, 2011, 13:01:10 PM
^ Sounds like a bit of a fob off.
I thought so a bit as well, but still, at least they acknowledged my comments.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

Massive pileup in US investigated

Investigators in New Orleans are trying to determine the cause of a massive pre-dawn pileup on Thursday. Two people were killed and 61 injured. (00:56)

http://media.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/world-news/massive-pileup-in-us-investigated-2866784.html

ozbob

From the Brisbanetimes click here!

Convenient South Bank access... for $35

QuoteConvenient South Bank access... for $35
Dan Nancarrow
January 22, 2012 - 9:22AM

The corporation behind Airport Link has been spruiking the tunnel as a quick and easy route to South Bank for northern Brisbane residents.

But by the time motorists pay two-way tolls on both the Go Between Bridge and Airport Link – as well as fork out heavy parking costs – the cost of the trip could exceed $35.

Beginning with an advertising campaign in Quest newspapers last week, operators BrisConnections began promoting the time-saving benefits of the soon-to-be-opened tunnel in accessing South Bank from the northern suburbs.

It states motorists will be able to make the journey from the Airport or northern suburbs to South Bank in under 25 minutes, avoiding 18 sets of traffic lights.

The advertisement claims it would make South Bank "one of the most accessible cultural and entertainment hubs in Australia".

But with the toll estimated to cost between $3.56 and $4.75, according to figures on the company's own website, the total cost of a three hour trip from the northern suburbs to South Bank and back could total more than $35.

The Go Between toll is $2.40 and three-to-four hour weekend parking at the Parklands underground car park costs $24.

In response to the potential cost of such a journey, an Airport Link spokeswoman said the toll fees had not been finalised.

"Using a toll road is of course a choice as is paying for parking. When Airport Link opens later this year it will provide visitors to South Bank with another option to train or bus," she said.

South Bank businesses are believed to be pleased with the improved access to the area the tunnel is expected to bring.

South Bank Corporation chief executive Paul Herd noted the improvements in accessibility for visitors.

"One of the key benefits for businesses located at South Bank is accessibility but South Bank Corporation welcomes any initiatives that improve connectivity for both international and local visitors to the area," he said.

The Airport Link advertisements were also aimed at addressing any possible misconceptions that the tunnel was exclusively an access route between the airport and the city, a perceived pitfall of its name.

In future advertisements, BrisConnections is expected to promote improved access to other major locales provided by the tunnel, such as Chermside shopping centre, the airport village parts of New Farm and Fortitude Valley, reinforcing the advertising message which positions the tunnel is the "missing link in Brisbane's road network".

When completed, the tunnel will have entrances at Bowen Hills, Kedron and Toombul, connecting main thoroughfares such as Gympie Road, the Clem7, the Inner City Bypass, Sandgate Road and the East West Arterial Road.

BrisConnections expects 135,000 vehicles a day will use the northside tunnel when it opens later this year.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/convenient-south-bank-access-for-35-20120120-1qabf.html

Mr X

If you were going to South Bank from the ICB you'd get off at Normanby and use the WJB. = $5 (?) saved
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

Mozz

When ever I go to Southbank from Oxley I either catch the train to Toowong then walk 300m to the Regatta Ferry terminal and catch the citycat for a $8.48 peak or $6.80 off peak Zone 3 gocard return which takes around an hour including transfers or for the same price if I am time poor I catch the train for 23mins into Roma Street and then walk over the Kurilpa Bridge which takes around 40 mins travel - either way they are both very relaxing and scenic ways of getting to Southbank during which I thoroughly enjoy the journey as well as the destination :-)

Jonno

... and no doubt every Electronic Road sign (meant to be used for providing road condition information) will be advertising the tunnel.  The hypocracy that is allowed in support of these tunnels is sickening.

At least the Clem 7 was named appropriately as the only reason the tunnel was ever needed was because Clem Jone got ride of the trams!!! 

#Metro

Personally I find Airport Link's traffic forecasts to be rather unrealistic, although that said, people are willing to pay a lot for speed to the Airport and they probably have
the $$ for a holiday as well.

This is one reason why I'm not quick to condemn fare increases - if 80% of people travel in cars despite the cost of that being huge, is because the benefits for them
are also large. 

http://www.asx.com.au/products/asx-infrastructure-funds.htm

But with the toll estimated to cost between $3.56 and $4.75, according to figures on the company's own website, the total cost of a three hour trip from the northern suburbs to South Bank and back could total more than $35.

Parking at the Convention Centre is $15 + $5 toll = 20, + return trip = $25, perhaps they might get away with parking a little further in a side street or something.

I'm not really sure what to make of these toll roads, if they're privately funded, a few people use them, they're mostly underground (surface impacts not there) then what's to worry about?
If people want to invest in schemes like this and lose money, let them!

Meanwhile, rail frequency must be ramped up. We have been banging on about this for years. Bus is doing OK - main gaps are 230 / 400 / 359 and GCL.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

SurfRail

Quote from: tramtrain on January 22, 2012, 13:05:46 PMI'm not really sure what to make of these toll roads, if they're privately funded, a few people use them, they're mostly underground (surface impacts not there) then what's to worry about?
If people want to invest in schemes like this and lose money, let them!

Meanwhile, rail frequency must be ramped up. We have been banging on about this for years. Bus is doing OK - main gaps are 230 / 400 / 359 and GCL.

They are not fully privately funded, and herein lies the problem.

CLEM 7 - $773 million cost to BCC (slightly more than the Federal contribution to Kippa-Ring).  No chance of recovery of that amount because the tunnel is a distressed asset and shares are effectively worthless, so all funds go to operating it and to the receivers.  Even if profitable, the toll is to run for 45 years.  Decongestion benefits = negligible.  Heavy vehicles diverted away from the Valley = not achieved.

Go-Between Bridge - $338 million cost to BCC.  First year tolls were around $8m, operating costs were around $30m (I expect flooding would have had something to do with that to be fair, but it probably would still have lost money).  No immediate prospect of recovery unless traffic demand massively picks up and tolls exceed operating costs, and even then it is decades off.

Airport Link - figures are difficult to come by on the public component, but there are serious public costs associated with construction and delivery as we are all familiar with.  The token addition of a short stretch of isolated busway is hardly much to crow about.

Northern Link - $1.5 billion cost to BCC, the State and the Commonwealth.  No private funding.

All money which could easily have been poured into Cross River Rail, the north-west rail line, capacity expansions to remove bottlenecks on the Shorncliffe/Doomben/Cleveland/Gold Coast/North Coast lines and amplify other tracks where needed, build the Eastern Busway and fund more buses.

http://cpds.apana.org.au/Documents/Crisis_in_GQ/Articles/Transport_Monster.htm for an interesting take on the whole mess.
Ride the G:

ozbob

Mr X

Fairfield Rd a "bad" road? LOL. Only annoying bit is the roundabout with Venner Rd.
Congestion = non existant.
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

awotam

Quote from: Jonno on November 19, 2011, 06:34:31 AM
QuoteIn 2008, when the concept plan was first announced, then-deputy premier Paul Lucas said he believed the major developers would contribute to improving public transport.

"The concept master plan has been made future proof by including options of extending the existing Doomben rail line and also a multi-modal public transport corridor off Kingsford Smith Drive through the heart of the precinct," he said in 2008.

"I'm keen to see the results of investigations that will be done into how much developers will be able to contribute to potential public transport options."

The Queensland government had no plans to expand the Doomben rail line until 2031.

That sums it up really!!!  How inept is the State Govt!!  LNP has no more intent than this either.
Although I don't remember doing so, I must have commented on the Kingsford Smith upgrade during the consultation period, as I get occasional updates mailed to me from the BCC City Projects Office. I replied to one of those asking about the option for upgrading the Doomben line and received this response;
"The project team has met with Queensland Rail to discuss their future planning and impacts the project has on QR infrastructure. The benefit that increased Doomben rail line passenger services would have on the Kingsford Smith Drive road corridor was discussed. QR advised there are no immediate plans to upgrade rail infrastructure or increase passenger services on this rail line"
Are they all in this together now? Even QR seem to be part of this master plan to make Brisbane and SEQ the gridlock capital of the world. Smart State? World class passenger transport system? Give me strength! :pr

#Metro

QuoteAlthough I don't remember doing so, I must have commented on the Kingsford Smith upgrade during the consultation period, as I get occasional updates mailed to me from the BCC City Projects Office. I replied to one of those asking about the option for upgrading the Doomben line and received this response;
"The project team has met with Queensland Rail to discuss their future planning and impacts the project has on QR infrastructure. The benefit that increased Doomben rail line passenger services would have on the Kingsford Smith Drive road corridor was discussed. QR advised there are no immediate plans to upgrade rail infrastructure or increase passenger services on this rail line"
Are they all in this together now? Even QR seem to be part of this master plan to make Brisbane and SEQ the gridlock capital of the world. Smart State? World class passenger transport system? Give me strength!

It's just a fluff response.
I mean, really, "they said they had no plans, so we MUST spend BILLIONS AND BILLIONS now and ask for STATE GOVT FUNDING" for this project. LOL.

They're just justifying the status quo. What needs to be done is a proper analysis for the Rail Upgrade versus the road upgrade done on neutral terms. That's how proper analysis is done - compare more than one alternative.

ozbob

From the Couriermail click here!

Ken Henry's suggestion of congestion tax could lead to happy commuters

QuoteKen Henry's suggestion of congestion tax could lead to happy commuters

by: Robert Jeremenko
    February 08, 2012 12:00AM

LAST year, on a worldwide ranking by IBM of the worst places to commute by road, Brisbane rated 13th, three places behind Sydney (10th) but better than Beijing, Mexico City and Johannesburg.

The last RACQ survey of petrol prices found the River City was the most expensive of Australia's five largest capital cities.

Food for thought if you're a motorist, but maybe it's time to look past gridlock and the price cycle and read the Henry review to see how tax changes could produce happier commuters.

Ken Henry said that sustainable and saner cities make for a more productive and happier society.

If you've ever been bumper-to-bumper on Brisbane's Story Bridge approaches you'll know Henry nailed it when he said: "Poorly functioning road networks harm the amenity, sustainability, liveability and productivity of society."

Henry suggested one option was congestion pricing, where a surcharge is imposed on transport network users during peak demand.

"Users would pay less road and fuel tax. Motor vehicle stamp duties would be abolished, compulsory third-party insurance would be fairly priced and taxi licence quantity restrictions that push up taxi fares would be removed," Henry said.

Less congestion during peak periods equals shorter travel times. That reduces vehicle costs and cuts greenhouse emissions. Ideally, revenue from congestion charges flows back to the community to finance public transport.

Individual trucking operators would pay their own specific costs. Short-haul operators would no longer cross-subsidise long-haulers.

After two decades of debate, former London mayor Ken Livingstone introduced a congestion tax in 2003, and extended it four years later.

London relies heavily on technology to photograph number plates, deduct the £10 charge and issue infringement notices for motorists without an account. Morning peak hour appears to have been pushed back. Public transport patronage is up, although pricing deals have also played a role.

Experts concede congestion is now back past its pre-charging levels, but say the problem would be worse if the city had taken no action.

The present London mayor, Boris Johnson, has wound back some of his predecessor's measures and rejected a suggested carbon-based charge.

Diplomats claim immunity, while the fake number-plate trade has boomed and most foreign drivers ignore the fine notices.

As many major cities around the world (New York, Hong Kong) have rejected congestion charges as those that have introduced them (Singapore and Stockholm.)

Something has to give in infrastructure funding. Applied across the economy rather than ad-hoc, the idea could have paid for projects such as Brisbane's Clem7 tunnel.

Henry isn't the first to directly link road taxes or tolls to paying for infrastructure. Classic economist Adam Smith pushed the same thing in the 18th century.

The important distinction is that Smith didn't own a car and was unaware of the joys of a Monday morning commute along Brisbane's Gympie Rd.

Robert Jeremenko is senior tax counsel for The Tax Institute.

ozbob

ozbob

No doubt about it, the roads are terminal.  Saturday afternoon, one bingle and grid lock ..

============================

Twitter

QPS Media Unit ‏ @QPSmedia

#bnetraffic traffic banked up to the M1 after a nose to tail on Corontation Drve. Cars being cleared now, please be patient.

ozbob

From the Queensland Times click here!

Road to ruin

QuoteRoad to ruin

Kieran Banks | 1st March 2012

THE multi-billion dollar project to double the capacity of the Ipswich Mwy has been branded a waste of money by a public transport lobby group.

The motorway carries 80,000 cars to and from Ipswich every day and its upgrade is part of a 20-year blueprint to improve transport in the region.

Some $3.14 billion is being invested in the Ipswich Mwy and associated projects such as upgrades of the Centenary Hwy and Logan Mwy Interchange

Main Roads Minister Craig Wallace has even boasted that $250,000,000 is being spent for each kilometre of the 12km Darra to Dinmore upgrade.

However, Rail Back On Track spokesman Robert Dow said if 1km worth of motorway funding was invested into the Translink system now far more motorists would be off the road in 20 years time.

"It's a waste of money. I live in Goodna and I can see the monstrosity they have created," he said.

He said investing in a cross-river rail link in Brisbane and maintenance programs would also avoid infrastructure failures like the one which paralysed the rail network on Tuesday.

The State Government's transport plan aims to increase the number of Ipswich travellers using public transport from 8.6 per cent to 17% and to cut the percentage of people travelling by car from 83.3% to 70% by 2031.

It also includes lifting the percentage of people walking to their destination from 9.5% to 11% and those cycling from 0.7% to 7%.

Mr Dow said that even if the targets set by Main Roads were achieved, they were still far too unambitious.

He indicated the targets should be closer to 30% for people using public transport, 50% for car trips and 20% for cycling and walking.

But RACQ senior traffic and safety engineer Greg Miszkowycz said the targets were ambitious.

The RACQ predicts private car trips in Ipswich will increase by 165% by 2031 as the population rises.

"While the reduction of private vehicle trips from 83.3% to 70% would mean more people are taking up alternative transport options, overall private car trips will increase due to greater population and travel demand," he said.

Bundamba MP Jo-Ann Miller said Ipswich residents had called for the upgrade for years.

"We have put our money into increasing public transport through the rail and bus system. But there has to be good roads," she said.

Bundamba LNP candidate Michael Kitzlemann said the comments from Rail Back on Track were fair and reasonable.

"The facts are we need the investment in both road and rail," he said.

Transport Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk said it's important both are funded.

"You can move more and more commuters by improving public transport services - and we have been. But you also need good roads to improve travel times and boost freight efficiency."

#Metro

Main Roads Minister Craig Wallace has even boasted that $250,000,000 is being spent for each kilometre of the 12km Darra to Dinmore upgrade.

250 million per kilometre! Are they crazy! A decent rail line costs about the same but has what, 10x the capacity?

Stillwater

It is not Queensland Government money that's being spent here.  Ipswich Motorway funding is coming from the federal government.  Just stop and think, if someone approached you and said he/she would pay the cost of your new house, more than likely you would include in the design a pool room, bar, gym and swimming pool.  Just look at how much of the state's $125 billion transport plan for SEQ requires spending from the feds to bring it to reality.

The Ipswich Motorway Upgrade expands the motorway to six lanes.  The state government knocked back an alternative plan involving a 10-lane solution along the 'Goodna bypass' alignment.  This alignment has been preserved and the extra lanes to be built there won't be paid for by the feds, as they would argue they have built the existing motorway.  No, those extra lanes would have to be provided as a private tollway.

Faced with a Level Of Service D on the widened Ipswich Motorway, motorists wanting to travel at comfort and speed between Brisbane and Ipswich would need to take the Goodna Bypass and pay a toll for the privilege.

Jonno

Quote"You can move more and more commuters by improving public transport services - and we have been. But you also need good roads to improve travel times and boost freight efficiency."

Freight can only move by road?

This is why none of our major political parties deserve to be elected.  Let me fiddle around the edges of public transport whist spending 250 million dollars per km on a road that will create the congestion to clog it.  A grade 2 student would see this as stupid!!!

I just love the "the locals have said this is necessary" line.

#Metro

If you don't like it, write a M.R.

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Jonno

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Brisbane, your future ....

Herald Sun --> It takes fuming commuters more than an hour just to reach freeways before they set sail for work

Quote ... TRAFFIC snarls choking Melbourne's fringe are causing gridlock so bad it takes some residents an hour just to get out of their suburb.

A Public Defender investigation has found the problem has reached alarming levels in many areas, with the wait to get on to freeways sometimes longer than the drive into the city itself.

ozbob

johnnigh

Interesting to see the first 7 comments on the CM article: PT users seem to have been quick off the mark as well as drivers who won't use it.

Gazza

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/city-link-tops-the-melbourne-wish-list/story-fn6bfkm6-1226325313003

East West freeway/tunnel is #1 infrastructure priority for Melbourne.....So not the Metro Rail tunnel  >:(

somebody

Quote from: Gazza on April 13, 2012, 10:47:08 AM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/city-link-tops-the-melbourne-wish-list/story-fn6bfkm6-1226325313003

East West freeway/tunnel is #1 infrastructure priority for Melbourne.....So not the Metro Rail tunnel  >:(
Melbourne doesn't need extra CBD capacity, unlike Sydney, Brisbane and Auckland.  It does need rolling stock to fill the existing capacity.

Before anyone says anything, the CBD loop might be full but it is not ordained by God that all trains need to run through the CBD loop.  This is the basis of some relatively recent changes by Metro.

Gazza

Or to put it another way, I think one of the best things they could do would be to grade sep like crazy, and get to where Sydney was in the 1970s. RACV would be all over it, and it would really allow a boost in frequency along the affected rail lines.

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on April 13, 2012, 10:58:21 AM
Before anyone says anything, the CBD loop might be full but it is not ordained by God that all trains need to run through the CBD loop.  This is the basis of some relatively recent changes by Metro.

I'm not even convinced the loop is full.  The issue is rollingstock and level crossings more than CBD capacity - get the signalling working better and move to 4 doors per carriage to allow 2 minute headways, and you will have 30 trains per hour per group.  (That would give you a train to South Morang or Eltham every 4-5 minutes for instance.)

Melbourne Metro from Footscray to South Yarra is going to be good, but nowhere near as important as the above, and nowhere near as important proportionately as CRR is to us - gives a 50% capacity increase, and even 30tph would not be enough for us eventually (plus locking in rubbish alignments and increasing the likelihood of infrastructure failures with higher intensity of services, complicated junction arrangements rather than simple in/out routes, and no back-ups.)
Ride the G:

🡱 🡳