• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Roads - articles and discussion

Started by ozbob, November 02, 2010, 03:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

somebody

ozbob

Quote from: Simon on July 25, 2012, 08:13:12 AM
Quote from: ozbob on July 25, 2012, 03:05:26 AM
Brisbanetimes --> Drive to open Brunswick Street Mall to traffic
I think that's the stupidest proposal I've heard for quite a while.

Not surprised, same mob who thinks the Maroon CityGlider is real smart too!

huddo45

If you think this is a silly idea, you can click on the link and vote 'no'. 70% against so far. I'd only vote yes if it was for trams :D

ozbob

Deputy Premier, Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning
The Honourable Jeff Seeney
25/07/2012

Government welcomes Airportlink opening

Deputy Premier and Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning Jeff Seeney today welcomed the opening of AirportlinkM7 - Australia's largest infrastructure project - to Brisbane motorists.

Mr Seeney joined commuters driving through the new tunnel this morning before visiting the Airportlink Operations Centre for a briefing on the opening day traffic flows.

The Deputy Premier said Airportlink was another vital piece of Campbell Newman's TransApex plan aimed at relieving traffic congestion in Brisbane.

"Along with the Clem7 Tunnel and the Go Between Bridge, Airportlink will change the way people travel across some of the busiest parts of the city," Mr Seeney said.

"It will reduce travel times significantly and should ease traffic congestion in Brisbane's inner northern suburbs by linking the busy northern arterials of Gympie, Stafford and Sandgate Roads to the Inner City Bypass and Clem 7.

"A direct, express motorway link like this from city centre to Brisbane Airport is an important infrastructure development for the State's capital city which could cut travel times substantially."

Mr Seeney said the $4.8 billion Airportlink was one of many projects Premier Campbell Newman and Lord Mayor Graham Quirk had developed to transform Brisbane's congested road networks.

"It has generated thousands of jobs and chalked up many construction milestones over the almost four years it took to build.

"Brisbane now has the most sophisticated road tunnel system in the nation which will provide important economic benefits for Queensland.

"I congratulate all involved with the construction of this substantial new piece of infrastructure.

"At the same time I thank all those residents of Brisbane's northern suburbs for their forbearance during the construction period," Mr Seeney said.

================

::)

colinw

Hmmm ... I'd have thought Campbell would have enough sense to avoid claiming credit for the thing, when its obvious its going to go belly up!

#Metro

Mr Seeney said the $4.8 billion Airportlink was one of many projects Premier Campbell Newman and Lord Mayor Graham Quirk had developed to transform Brisbane's congested road networks.

Symbols of progress VS actual progress. Applies to roads too.

This was a ridiculously expensive project and there is no way that they're going to get that traffic. Economic benefits? The benefits of this project are actually significantly lower than if it were done as a public project (less people using it due to toll), and I think it will go bankrupt within 5 years. On the other hand, if you are wealthy and drive a BMW, you can use Clem 7, Go Between, Airportlink and get to where you want to more quickly.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

techblitz

tollroads + rising public transport costs + rising insurance/fuel/registration costs.

painting a picture?

when is the government going to learn that most people in SE qld are struggling to wear the cost of rising vehicle costs.Why would they just take these rises in the face and magically start using paid toll roads?

Welcome to the age of sitting in congestion to save a buck.

And with the rising vehicle costs commuters then choose to save money by NOT using public transport.

As long as fuel/insurance and rego keep rising in QLD.TOLL ROADS WILL FAIL!EPICALLY.
Although someone is quite welcome to prove me wrong with the situation in other states with some fancy stats :-c

colinw

Never mind. In 20 or 30 years time the ToombulAirport Link tunnel will make a fine underground rail route to bring the Airport line direct to the city in its own corridor. We just have to allow for the connection in the design of CRR.  :hg

Ditto the Legacy Way. Underground motorway today, first stage of the Metro line to Kenmore tomorrow.

Clem7 - dunno. Maybe use it to store records or grow mushrooms or something.  Or as a tram depot.

:P

techblitz

you know something`s not right with paid toll rds when you pass throught the clem7 on the 77 at 4.30ish and see about 3 cars.

#Metro

you know something`s not right with paid toll rds when you pass throught the clem7 on the 77 at 4.30ish and see about 3 cars.

Roads for the Rich.

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

colinw

Hmmm ... video match the number plate, cross reference registration Id, and thence to Tax File Number to get last year's taxable income, then levy a means tested toll based a sliding scale indexed by your ability to pay!

If you give me a few hundred million I'll build the system for you.  >:D

Mr X

I wonder if Newman's KSD toll tunnel idea is still going ahead?
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

ozbob

ozbob

colinw

May as well bite the bullet & build a toll tunnel from Coolangatta to Cairns. To be completed by 2371.

All we're doing is pushing the congestion around a bit, and making it worse by inducing new demand. We could blow the entire State budget for years to come and not fix anything with road only solutions.

But I am preaching to the choir.

ozbob

Twitter

Ann Lund ‏@Landunn

AirportLink was horrendous this evening. Speed 40km, jams everywhere exiting it esp Stafford/Kedron. Won't be doing that again @612brisbane

Gazza

I tried it tonight and thought it was ok, right hand lane, cruise control on 80 and I overtook everyone.

Problem, speed camera wimps?

Golliwog

Anyone gone through it on a 330 yet? If it keeps getting traffic like that shown at the offramp, I wonder how long it will take Translink to shift it back to running express along the busway.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

From the Brisbanetimes click here!

Airport Link share price soars

QuoteAirport Link share price soars

Date July 26, 2012 - 1:00AM Tony Moore

The opening of Brisbane's Airport Link toll tunnel triggered a 16.5 per cent increase in the price of Brisconnections shares, pushing the operator's sale price to its highest point since August 2010.

Australian Stock Exchange data showed while just over 2000 Brisconnections Unit Trust shares changed hands yesterday, their price increased markedly.

The Brisconnections unit price yesterday jumped from 91¢ a share in its last trade on July 13 – the time of the last trades on the stock – to $1.06 last night, which was an increase of 16.48 per cent.

The 6.7 kilometre $4.8 billion Airport Link motorway and tunnel network, built by Thiess John Holland for Brisconnections, is Brisbane's second toll tunnel.
Advertisement

And like the city's first toll tunnel, RiverCity Motorway's Clem7, it has had a troubled birth.

Thiess John Holland confirmed in late May it faced fines of $1.2 million each day the toll tunnel was delayed past the June 30 contracted finish date.

That was subsequently negotiated down to $973,973 a day.

In April 2009, Brisconnections survived a controversial takeover bid by Melbourne businessman Nic Bolton, who ultimately sold the voting rights to his 19.9 per share to Thiess John Holland.

The tunnel's operators maintain they are confident Airport Link will hit its traffic projections of 135,000 vehicles a day within a month, despite the problems that plagued the neighbouring Clem7, which continues to attract around 26 per cent of its projected total of 90,000 vehicles, more than two years after opening.

Brisconnections managing director Ray Wilson said he was confident Airport Link would attract 165,000 vehicles a day after its 15-month "ramp up" period, although he told brisbanetimes.com.au in June the figure would be reached after a planned "three-year ramp up" period.

RiverCity Motorway went into receivership in February last year.

Dr Wilson said the share price increase on Airport Link's first day, albeit while tolls are free, was still a sign of optimism.

"It's a positive reaction to the opening of a great piece of infrastructure," he said.

Brisconnections will report its first week's traffic figures next Thursday, before making monthly updates to the Australian Stock Exchange for the rest of this year.

Brisconnections handed down its financial results on Tuesday, reporting that it had spent $3.8 billion on construction and financing of the Airport Link project.

In his chairman's report to security holders, Trevor Rowe said the business had the financial support of the 10 banks backing the project.

"At the commencement of operations, we hold more than $300 million in cash," he said.

"Our funding has no refinancing obligations until mid-2018, six years after the commencement of operations."

Dr Wilson said Brisconnections yesterday received first-hand reports from motorists that the tunnel was saving them drive time on their trips.

"The early feedback is that AirportlinkM7 is saving people significant time from the CBD to Kedron and from the CBD to the airport with door-door journeys of just 15 minutes being reported," he said.

Test drives comparing the travel on the tunnel with surface roads by brisbanetimes.com.au staff yesterday showed it took six minutes to drive from Bowen Hills to Toombul. The above-ground road journey took 21 minutes, about 15 minutes longer.

Brisconnections has a 45-year concession from the Queensland government to operate the toll road.

By early 2015, Airport Link will also link to Brisbane's third toll tunnel, Legacy Way, now being built by Brisbane City Council through Brisbane's western suburbs.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/airport-link-share-price-soars-20120725-22qfg.html#ixzz21eebHmDg

ozbob

Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Scott Emerson
26/07/2012

Weekend Riverside Expressway work

Southbound lanes on the Riverside Expressway will be closed this weekend ahead of essential maintenance works.

Minister for Transport and Main Roads Scott Emerson said the works were originally scheduled for last weekend but were deferred to accommodate the Reds Game at Suncorp Stadium.

"The expressway maintenance works will require the closure of southbound lanes only, from 9pm Friday 27 July, to 5am Monday 30 July, with traffic detours in place," Mr Emerson said.

"The maintenance work is part of an ongoing program to replace the bridge bearings and ensure the structure's long-term reliability.

"The existing bearings have been there since the expressway was built about 40 years ago and on average support more than 100,000 vehicles each workday.

"This weekend our engineers will replace the old pot bearings on the lifted section of the deck, which will let them determine when we need to replace the rest."

During the works, sections of the deck will be lifted 25cm so a set of pot bearings under the deck can be replaced with new 60kg stainless steel versions. The lift is identical to the successful trial lift conducted on 13/14 July.

Alternative methods to cross the Brisbane River during these closures include the Gateway Bridge, Story Bridge, William Jolly Bridge, Go Between Bridge and the Clem 7 Tunnel. Parking restrictions will apply on William Street.

Traffic from Saul Street should use the William Jolly Bridge while traffic from Coronation Drive should use Milton Road or the Go Between Bridge.

People travelling on the Ipswich/Rosewood line should also be aware that buses will replace trains between Corinda and Rosewood stations this weekend.

Sections of the Ipswich/Rosewood line and the entire Richlands line will be closed from about 10.30pm on Friday, 27 July until the last scheduled service on Sunday, 29 July.

For more information, motorists can call the Transport and Main Roads Traffic Report Line on 13 19 40, or view the live webcams on-line at www.131940.qld.gov.au

[ENDS] 26 July 2012

ozbob

From the Couriermail click here!

Australia's largest road project, the now Airport Link is unlikely to pay its way

Australia's largest road project, the now Airport Link is unlikely to pay its way

by: Peter Quick
    July 27, 2012 12:00AM

THE beleaguered residents of Brisbane's northern suburbs must be heaving a collective sigh of relief.

Nearly four years of disruption from 24-hour noise, dust, vibration and the constant stream of construction traffic is finally over. Australia's largest road project, Airport Link, is now complete.

BrisConnections, the owner and operator of the tunnel, hopes to convert at least 135,000 motorists a day into regular customers.

But is this really going to happen? BrisConnections has doggedly stood by its original traffic projections despite the dismal showing of its troubled sibling, the Clem7, now in receivership. Less than a third of the original forecast traffic is using Clem7.

The prognosis for Airport Link? Experts are divided, the jury still out.

The cold facts are sobering. Benefits of using the tunnel are touted as the time saved by bypassing 18 sets of traffic lights between Bowen Hills and Airport Drive. But how much time will your average motorist actually save?

A quick check with a search engine estimates a journey from Queen St to the domestic terminal along Kingsford Smith Drive would take 25 minutes. Is using the tunnel any quicker? It could save six or seven minutes or maybe more at peak hour. But it's further to travel and will, after November next year, cost $4.90.

And how many airport journeys actually start or finish in the CBD?

It is difficult to say without a detailed study but I would guess most airport-bound motorists likely to be attracted to the tunnel will be from more distant southern or western suburbs. With travel times of 40 minutes or more, a saving of even seven to 10 minutes at a cost of $4.90 (or $8.95 with Clem7) may not look like value for money.

BrisConnections is also hoping to capture Gympie Rd traffic on the north-south section from Bowen Hills to Kedron. A similar argument applies. A lot of this traffic is probably making a longer-distance commute, so saving a few minutes over a 30-40-minute journey may not seem good deal at $3.65 a trip - that's $36.50 a week.

There will be some uptake by corporate and commercial traffic since the boss pays the tolls. And every vehicle using the tunnel frees up capacity on the surface network, thus reducing congestion and journey times for the rest of us who pay our own way.

One of the most telling statistics is buried in an environmental impact study prepared in 2006. This reported Gympie Rd corridor traffic flows of about 60,000 vehicles a day.

Even allowing for growth to maybe 70,000 today, BrisConnections 2012 forecast for this sector of the tunnel is 90,000 vehicles. In other words, all current surface traffic is predicted to use the tunnel plus a lot more. This seems hugely optimistic.

Airport Link cost $4.8 billion to build, of which some $3 billion is a term loan from a consortium of banks. Conservatively, interest payments on this loan could amount to $400,000 a day. Adding operating costs at, say $60,000, would mean some 94,000 vehicles at the full toll rate of $4.90 would be required just to meet these costs, let alone overheads, maintenance, repairs and renewals.

I hope I'm wrong but I suspect this project is heading for insolvency sooner rather than later.

Peter Quick is a Sunshine Coast-based transport consultant and writer.

Good on you Peter, some one prepared to call it as it is.
:-t

Jonno

Peter your not wrong the will just be another bankrupt tunnel to add to the rest. Legacy Way will follow too.

Mr X

On a similar note of comparison, do we know if the Go Between Bridge has hit it's traffic projections? It was funded by BCC if i recall but we never hear much about it at all. It's the only toll road I use on a regular basis and is quite useful when Merivale St/Peel St/Grey St Bridge is jam packed.
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

techblitz

what will the legacy way,clem 7,airport link have in common?

they will still be here in 50 years,probably pass through 3 or 4 different owners(the previous into recievership)
Snapped up for a bargain then all going well tolls will eventually be dropped to say 2 bux  :fx

somebody

Quote from: Mr X on July 27, 2012, 08:36:55 AM
On a similar note of comparison, do we know if the Go Between Bridge has hit it's traffic projections? It was funded by BCC if i recall but we never hear much about it at all. It's the only toll road I use on a regular basis and is quite useful when Merivale St/Peel St/Grey St Bridge is jam packed.
lmgtfy! http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/a-birthday-to-celebrate-go-between-bridge-turns-one-but-critics-remain-20110705-1h0l0.html
http://westside-news.whereilive.com.au/news/story/building-bridges3/

BCC Counter: http://www.adrianschrinner.com/News/LatestNews/tabid/67/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/477/Go-Between-Bridge-reaches-traffic-target-early.aspx

The way I remember it, the forecasts were revised down before it was built.  It's not the biggest flop, and it has removed Grey St/Milton Rd/Cribb St/Coro from the bus routes.

Golliwog

Quote from: Mr X on July 27, 2012, 08:36:55 AM
Not sure if it's doing as well as they want it to. A month or two ago I noticed a bunch of billboards go up around town spruiking the Go Between as a useful time saving measure. The main one I recall seeing was of course on the billboard next to Gaythorne Station...
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Fares_Fair

Quote from: ozbob on July 27, 2012, 03:17:13 AM
From the Couriermail click here!

by: Peter Quick
    July 27, 2012 12:00AM

THE beleaguered residents of Brisbane's northern suburbs must be heaving a collective sigh of relief.

Nearly four years of disruption from 24-hour noise, dust, vibration and the constant stream of construction traffic is finally over. Australia's largest road project, Airport Link, is now complete.

BrisConnections, the owner and operator of the tunnel, hopes to convert at least 135,000 motorists a day into regular customers.

But is this really going to happen? BrisConnections has doggedly stood by its original traffic projections despite the dismal showing of its troubled sibling, the Clem7, now in receivership. Less than a third of the original forecast traffic is using Clem7.

The prognosis for Airport Link? Experts are divided, the jury still out.

The cold facts are sobering. Benefits of using the tunnel are touted as the time saved by bypassing 18 sets of traffic lights between Bowen Hills and Airport Drive. But how much time will your average motorist actually save?

A quick check with a search engine estimates a journey from Queen St to the domestic terminal along Kingsford Smith Drive would take 25 minutes. Is using the tunnel any quicker? It could save six or seven minutes or maybe more at peak hour. But it's further to travel and will, after November next year, cost $4.90.

And how many airport journeys actually start or finish in the CBD?

It is difficult to say without a detailed study but I would guess most airport-bound motorists likely to be attracted to the tunnel will be from more distant southern or western suburbs. With travel times of 40 minutes or more, a saving of even seven to 10 minutes at a cost of $4.90 (or $8.95 with Clem7) may not look like value for money.

BrisConnections is also hoping to capture Gympie Rd traffic on the north-south section from Bowen Hills to Kedron. A similar argument applies. A lot of this traffic is probably making a longer-distance commute, so saving a few minutes over a 30-40-minute journey may not seem good deal at $3.65 a trip - that's $36.50 a week.

There will be some uptake by corporate and commercial traffic since the boss pays the tolls. And every vehicle using the tunnel frees up capacity on the surface network, thus reducing congestion and journey times for the rest of us who pay our own way.

One of the most telling statistics is buried in an environmental impact study prepared in 2006. This reported Gympie Rd corridor traffic flows of about 60,000 vehicles a day.

Even allowing for growth to maybe 70,000 today, BrisConnections 2012 forecast for this sector of the tunnel is 90,000 vehicles. In other words, all current surface traffic is predicted to use the tunnel plus a lot more. This seems hugely optimistic.

Airport Link cost $4.8 billion to build, of which some $3 billion is a term loan from a consortium of banks. Conservatively, interest payments on this loan could amount to $400,000 a day. Adding operating costs at, say $60,000, would mean some 94,000 vehicles at the full toll rate of $4.90 would be required just to meet these costs, let alone overheads, maintenance, repairs and renewals.

I hope I'm wrong but I suspect this project is heading for insolvency sooner rather than later.

Peter Quick is a Sunshine Coast-based transport consultant and writer.

:-t
Great piece.
I need him to do a piece on the Sunshine Coast rail history and present 2031 situation ...
Regards,
Fares_Fair

ozbob

Stillwater

The picture and story proves the point that freeways, even if they are underground, merely shift the traffic jam.  They don't make it go away, even if billions are spent on the problem.

HappyTrainGuy

Problem with the Bowen Hills exit is that the light timings are way out for the load expected when combined with the Abbotsford Road intersection with the inbound priority.

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

29th July 2012

Airport Link Traffic Projections - call for Transport Rethink

Greetings,

Interesting opinion piece in the Couriermail on Friday.

Australia's largest road project, the now (sic) Airport Link is unlikely to pay its way, http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/australias-largest-road-project-the-now-airport-link-is-unlikely-to-pay-its-way/story-e6frerc6-1226436024272

You don't have to be a transport expert to work out the vehicle projections for Airport Link are in the realm of fantasy land.

Oh dear ....

Enjoy it while you can.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

================================

Media release 22 March 2012 re-released 29 July 2012

SEQ: Airport Link Traffic Projections - call for Transport Rethink

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers says the revelations that Brisconnection's own projections show Airport Link will increase traffic volumes and congestion is the 'last straw'.

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"It is recognised around the world that freeways, tunnels and bypasses have never reduced congestion but in fact they actually make it worse (1). Every major road construction project claims to be the solution to our traffic problems yet our roads are getting more and more congested (2)."

"It is time to acknowledge that we have spent the last 50 years claiming to be solving congestion and air pollution but actually making them worse. Channel 10's News report on Tuesday confirmed that congestion is continuing to get worse in Brisbane.  Reducing congestion by building more roads is an urban myth! Never again can the media, political parties or lobbyists claim that the latest road project will reduce traffic and congestion!"

"Close to 1600 people are killed each year on our roads, 1000's more injured and maimed and all too often written  off as part of modern life. In 2012 road toll is already looking likely to be even worse than 2011.  The cost of road trauma is costing our nation nation something in order of $40 Billion a year. (3,4) That is $40 Billion that cannot be spent on schools, hospitals, police and other essential services.  Building more roads means more people drive and unfortunately this means more road trauma."

"Finally our economy has been significantly exposed to the reality of rising fuel prices with every cent increase in the price of fuel directly impacting the cost of living."

"RAIL Back On Track calls on all political parties to accept the 'road-based transport experiment' of the last 50 years has failed and to sign up to the following 10 simple transport principles:

1. Planning principles/controls/investments to plan for more than 50% of all trips being by public/active transport and freight rail.

2. City and town design principles that prioritise walking, cycling and public transport over driving.

3. Halting any further investment in urban freeways, bypasses and tunnels and redirecting funds to address major rail and public/active transport bottlenecks and increasing service frequencies.

4. Design guidelines to convert existing road capacity into public transport right of way such as bus lanes and cycling and pedestrian space.

5. Core Frequent Network and Maps in all our major cities and towns.

6. Off-site car parking in commercial centres reduced close to zero.

7. Public transport fares to encourage people to think Public Transport as their first/fastest option not last.

8. Developing safe and active urban centres around our major transit stops.

9. Increased Long- distance passenger rail services between major cities and towns.

10. Providing frequent  off-peak services major centres."

References:

1. Goodbye-ways: The downfall of urban freeways - http://grist.org/cities/goodbye-ways-the-downfall-of-urban-freeways

2. Southeast Queensland motorists stuck at 40km/h in peak hour on clogged major roads - http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=4767

3.Road trauma is breaking the nation -  http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=3

4. http://www.ara.net.au/UserFiles/file/Publications/TheCostofRoadCrashesReport.pdf

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

ozbob

Minister for Transport and Main Roads
29/07/2012

Riverside Expressway - Ministerial Media Statement

Late this afternoon I was advised the Hydraulic Jacks, which are used to lift sections of the deck to conduct maintenance works on the Riverside Expressway, malfunctioned.

The team will be working through the night to fix the Hydraulic Jacks however I am advised by the head of engineering that there is a chance the deck may not be in place by 5am.

Contingency plans are on stand by and all motorists travelling to the CBD on Monday morning are advised to listen to their local radio station before they leave home.

Motorists can also check the TMR website www.tmr.qld.gov.au or public transport options will be available on www.translink.com.au

Golliwog

http://jp.translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/details/1343552209

Riverside Expressway - possible service disruption
Last updated: 7.38pm Sunday 29 July 2012

Due to a malfunction of the hydraulic jacks, which are being used to lift sections of the deck to conduct maintenance works on the Riverside Expressway, it is possible that the Expressway will not be open by 5am Monday morning as planned.

While every effort is being made to correct the malfunction, work is also underway to develop alternative transport options if sections of the Expressway are unavailable for public transport services.

We will keep this site updated as more information becomes available.

Affected services:

P88

Could be interesting.

ozbob

colinw

Joint Media Release - National truck regulator to slash red tape

QuoteMinister for Transport and Main Roads

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Joint Media Release - National truck regulator to slash red tape

Australia is a step closer to a national regulator for the heavy vehicle industry, with Queensland introducing the Heavy Vehicle National Law Bill 2012 into its Parliament today.

Federal Infrastructure and Transport Minister Anthony Albanese and Queensland Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said the passage of the Bill will establish the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator in Brisbane and allow for the appointment of the five-member Board and the CEO.

"This important reform replaces the confusing array of eight separate regulators and nine pieces of state, territory and Commonwealth legislation with a national regulator and a single national law," Mr Albanese said.

"Complying with multiple jurisdictions when travelling from one state to the next will become a thing of the past under the new regulator."

Queensland will be the first state to pass legislation to implement the new independent regulator responsible for regulating all vehicles in Australia over 4.5 tonnes.

Other states and territories are expected to deliver the legislation through their own Parliaments over the coming months, so that the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator will be operational from January 2013.

Queensland Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said the NHVR will aim to improve productivity for the heavy vehicle industry.

"The regulations will make it easier for business to operate as there will be a one-stop shop for registration renewals, log book queries, access permits and a host of other services," Mr Emerson said.

"As part of the NHVR a national safety monitoring and reporting system for heavy vehicles will also be introduced to improve safety across the board for truckies."

The National Law would apply to all heavy vehicles over 4.5 tonne but would not cover the transportation of dangerous goods, heavy vehicle driver licensing and bus industry accreditation, which were covered under other acts.

The NHVR will support the growth of the transport sector, with flow-on benefits to the nation of up to $30 billion over the next 20 years. Locally, this means more jobs for Queensland and benefits to the local economy of at least $1.5 billion.

For more information please visit www.nhvr.gov.au

Fares_Fair

Questions Without Notice
31 Jul 2012
from Hansard.

T2 Transit Lane, M1

Mr KATTER: My question is to the Minister for Transport. Given that T2 transit lanes were
established as a car-pooling incentive which failed dismally, will the minister now commit to abolishing
the T2 lane on the M1 to save commuters valuable work travel time and agree that the best way to car
pool is to catch a bus?

Mr EMERSON: I thank the honourable member for his question. I know that it is a little bit far from
Mount Isa, but I do appreciate his interest. Clearly the LNP government is very committed to making
both our roads and our public transport system more efficient, more effective and a better use of
taxpayers' dollars.

Madam SPEAKER: Minister, I apologise. The time on the clock for question time is 11.01, so you
have until 11.01.

Mr EMERSON: Thank you, Madam Speaker. As I said, the Newman government is committed to
ensure the most efficient delivery of roads and public transport. That is why we have made
announcements regarding the reforms to RoadTek in the south-east corner to get the most efficient use
of our taxpayers' dollars in terms of going out to the private sector, with RoadTek no longer tendering
against the private sector in a mature market. In terms of public transport, we have made a number of
announcements in terms of our plan for free travel after nine journeys and halving Labor's planned
increases in fares and also with regard to bus services to ensure that buses are going where the public
wants them. In terms of the T2 lane referred to in the question from the honourable member, I am happy
to review the T2 lanes on the highway because our aim is to get the best outcome for motorists. If it is
the case that those T2 lanes are not doing the job they were intended to do, we cannot keep doing what
Labor did, because we will not keep going with Labor's mistakes and flawed policies. We will always
review to make sure that we are getting the best outcome for Queenslanders year in and year out rather
than some sort of ideologically driven policy by Labor that is divorced from the reality for motorists and
public transport users.

Madam SPEAKER: The time for question time has expired.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

somebody

Sydney has gone away from Transit Lanes and is more interested in bus lanes, with camera enforcement.

🡱 🡳