• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Roads - articles and discussion

Started by ozbob, November 02, 2010, 03:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mufreight

Quote from: Simon on May 10, 2011, 17:00:19 PM
I would add:
An authority which insists on route 393 to carry fresh air
An authority which insists that counter peak services are largely unavailable to commuters for bus and train
An authority which cannot comprehend why the via Indooroopilly expresses and 160 largely carry air on the outbound run

I might think of more later.
To be fair though, at least at Indooroopilly they have lowered the rails so the gap isn't quite as bad as it once was.  Probably 20cm now at the worst point.  Of course, they did say that it couldn't be done, which is always the default answer for PT up here.  But they then did it.

There is and was at the time of the reconstruction of Indooroopilly no practical reasion why the platforms could not have been raised to carriage floor height, (the track there could not be further lowered because of the subway,) as was also the case at Oxley and Darra where new platforms were built and existing platforms were rebuilt at their old sub carriage floor height.
There was also no provision made for a bus interchange at Indooroopilly which would have encouraged more use of the bus services as feeders to rail for commuters to the CBD.

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

Golliwog

Quote from: ozbob on May 13, 2011, 03:48:44 AM
Brisbanetimes --> Time to wake from traffic nightmare

I'm of mixed opinion on this one. It IS a major truck route and this helps them, but at the same time its really only shifting the problem to the next set of lights down the road. Depending on where the trucks are travelling between it may not really be feasible to use rail.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

somebody

Quote from: Golliwog on May 13, 2011, 16:35:46 PM

I'm of mixed opinion on this one. It IS a major truck route and this helps them, but at the same time its really only shifting the problem to the next set of lights down the road. Depending on where the trucks are travelling between it may not really be feasible to use rail.
It will be Mains Rd which gets the traffic light free straight path, won't it?

I'm of an unmixed opinion that the bus priority in Brisbane is completely insufficient, and Mains Rd is one of the worst cases.

Golliwog

No, my understanding was the Kessels Rd would be getting the traffic light free path. But Mains Rd should get a bigger proportion of green time as they will only get reds to allow for turning movements from Kessels Rd. Mains Rd is also apparently getting bus and bike lanes?
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

somebody

Quote from: Golliwog on May 13, 2011, 16:52:38 PM
No, my understanding was the Kessels Rd would be getting the traffic light free path. But Mains Rd should get a bigger proportion of green time as they will only get reds to allow for turning movements from Kessels Rd. Mains Rd is also apparently getting bus and bike lanes?
The tmr website supports this.  Interesting as Mains Rd is a 6 lane road, but Kessels Rd is a 4 lane road.  It's traditional to give the more major road the straight through path.

Golliwog

Quote from: Simon on May 13, 2011, 17:49:51 PM
Quote from: Golliwog on May 13, 2011, 16:52:38 PM
The tmr website supports this.  Interesting as Mains Rd is a 6 lane road, but Kessels Rd is a 4 lane road.  It's traditional to give the more major road the straight through path.

I think favouring freight is the logic, not just going off volume of traffic. I'm in favour of that.

somebody

Me, not so much.  If PT were to be advantaged by this decision that would be one thing, but in this case the buses will wait at the lights just like the cars.  I'd rather people get the priority.

Jonno

This expenditure is offensive.  The drawing makes it look so pretty but the reality is annually concrete pedestrian unfriendly intersection.  Problem with this is that passenger cars will change their route to take advantage and the freight will be stuck in the same traffic as before.

SurfRail

The major problem here is surely the tolls for commercial vehicles on the Logan and Gateway Motorways.  Scrap them and you'll find a lot less heavy vehicle usage on Kessels Road, I'm betting.  Local demand in Robertson, Rocklea and Acacia Ridge can't account for every truck transiting along there.
Ride the G:

Golliwog

Quote from: Jonno on May 13, 2011, 21:08:25 PM
This expenditure is offensive.  The drawing makes it look so pretty but the reality is annually concrete pedestrian unfriendly intersection.  Problem with this is that passenger cars will change their route to take advantage and the freight will be stuck in the same traffic as before.

...how can you change your morning commute from running down Mains Rd to running through Kessels Rd and somehow make it shorter? Have you been to the area as it stands now? I would say it doesn't exactly increase pedestrian friendlyness, but nor does it decrease, but it does add bike lanes. And bus lanes on Mains Rd. How long they are I don't know.

Jonno

Mark my words they will and not necessarily from Kessels Road but other roads. When capacity is created the traffic will change to fill it and this has nothing to do with population or economic growth.   Plus I am sure no cyclist in their right mind will go near this intersection without a sick feeling in their stomach.  If an elderly person wishes to walk across this I hope they pack a cut lunch

Golliwog

Quote from: Jonno on May 13, 2011, 22:50:39 PM
Mark my words they will and not necessarily from Kessels Road but other roads. When capacity is created the traffic will change to fill it and this has nothing to do with population or economic growth.   Plus I am sure no cyclist in their right mind will go near this intersection without a sick feeling in their stomach.  If an elderly person wishes to walk across this I hope they pack a cut lunch

I agree with your comments on traffic and capacity, and possibly a little with the cyclist ones, though that I see little difference with that and cycle lanes on any other main road, though Kessels Rd with all the trucks would be a bit much. As for pedestrians crossing the intersection, if anything I expect crossing the intersection post upgrade to take less time than it previously would. By not having to deal with through movements on Kessels Rd the phase cycle time can be reduced which would allow a faster cycle through the phases meaning pedestrians would get their green man sooner.

Jonno

My comments on pedestrians is more a comment on the overall friendliness of our roads.  Check out Complete Streets www.completestreets.org.  Our city is designed soley for the movement of traffic.  There are glimpses of areas where a more shared approach is taken but only glimpses.  This underpass remnds me of the 100's built in the US which are surrounded by a wasteland of abandonded commercial buildiingd as the intersection is really just a quasi-freeway and brings not benefit to the surrounding uses at all.

mufreight

Quote from: Golliwog on May 13, 2011, 16:35:46 PM

A large proportion of the freight (containers) using this route is to or from the Port of Brisbane, this freoghyt could be moved by rail were there rail services to move it but there are presently no rail services either ng or sg between Acacia Ridge and the port. the provision of some four services each way daily, two ng and two sg services would greatly reduce the road traffic of B Doubles shuttling these containers. 
Rail container shuttles are operated in both Sydney and Melbourne and they could be made to work equaly as well here if necessicary backed up by leglislation restricting the hours that the road transport of containers between Acacia Ridge and the port could take place.

somebody

Quote from: Golliwog on May 13, 2011, 22:15:52 PM
And bus lanes on Mains Rd. How long they are I don't know.
Inbound only, from shortly after Beenleigh Rd.  Very last bit is 24hr.

Golliwog

Quote from: Simon on May 14, 2011, 10:59:42 AM
But is that how it currently is, or does it say that somewhere on the TMR site? I had a look but couldn't see anything about how long.

somebody

Quote from: Golliwog on May 14, 2011, 12:10:34 PM
But is that how it currently is, or does it say that somewhere on the TMR site? I had a look but couldn't see anything about how long.
That's how they currently are.  I would be surprised if these plans include an upgrade for the bus lanes.

Golliwog

Quote from: Simon on May 14, 2011, 16:10:07 PM
Quote from: Golliwog on May 14, 2011, 12:10:34 PM
That's how they currently are.  I would be surprised if these plans include an upgrade for the bus lanes.

Well the website says buslanes, but doesn't go into specifics. Maybe they're just changing the lanes from transit lanes to bus only?

somebody

Sounds like there is some kind of upgrade.  Well, I'm surprised.  Also including an outbound "bus lane".

ozbob

ozbob

Another demonstration of the flawed mindset of many.  Hello, peak oil?  Bus priority, active transport is mentioned.  Fancy thinking they will all be whizzing around in their horseless carriages  ....  H E L P !

From the Queensland Times click here!

Council revives ring road plan

QuoteCouncil revives ring road plan

Peter Foley | 26th May 2011

IPSWICH City Council is planning to put the brake on growing CBD traffic congestion by reviving the ring road concept.

A concept plan for Ipswich showing the proposed city centre Orbital Road System (red line).

IPSWICH City Council is planning to put the brake on growing CBD traffic congestion by reviving the ring road concept.

Now upgraded and renamed the Ipswich City Centre Orbital Road System, the ring road project was first mooted in the late 1990s.

It was shelved because it was seen as being too far ahead of its time, but now the council believes that time is fast approaching.

David Trumpy Bridge and the major CBD intersections of Limestone and East and Brisbane and East streets are nearing capacity.

With the Ipswich population tipped to top 450,000 people over the next 20 years, an improved road system has been identified as one of the catalysts of redeveloping the Ipswich CBD.

The inner-city bypass system is also a vital part of a radical change to the CBD to make it less car heavy and more people friendly.

Ipswich City works chairman Trevor Nardi said the main function of the orbital road was to get traffic not going into the city centre to go around it.

At the moment, to go from North Ipswich to Churchill or from Leichhardt to Booval, for instance, drivers have to go through the often-clogged city heart.

The orbital road is still in its early planning phase and will have to be built in stages, but hopes are high it will positively change the way people move around Ipswich.

"Some of these projects could be 20 years away and some could be five years or so," Cr Nardi said.

"Ipswich is growing up so we've got to plan for the future when we double our population.

"If we don't do this now we'll end up with major congestion.

"We think we've got congestion now.

"This is our solution.

"It hasn't been to council in its full format yet.

"This is the thought process of what we think will be the solution.

"The whole thing will be hundreds of millions.

"We still have to consult the community but it's too early to do that because we don't know exactly where everything will go.

"But ultimately this concept will have to happen.

"It will need funding help from the state and – possibly – federal governments and it will have to be done over stages."

CR NARDI said the secondary aim was to give more room in the city for buses, pedestrians and cyclists and on-street dining opportunities.

The internal roads of the orbital system would still be busy but traffic would be at much slower speeds, similar to Charlotte St in the Brisbane CBD.

Free of through-traffic, streets such as Limestone St in the Top of Town could have a 40kmh speed limit to allow for plenty of pedestrians.

As another example, the busy part of Brisbane St in West Ipswich would have to become four-lanes, but it's planned to become a boulevard with a central median, opportunities for on-street dining, and a slower speed environment.

Ipswich City Council's town planners are trying to get aiming for a feel like James St in Brisbane's New Farm.

You still want the street to be busy because you want a successful business centre, but if you don't want to go to the city centre you don't need to go through it.

The first stage of the orbital road system is the Norman St Bridge across the river at North Ipswich to Norman St at East Ipswich, and then upgrading Jacaranda St and through to either where Bunnings or Ross Llewellyn Motors is.

The second stage would most likely be the Robertson Rd extension through the roundabout at the bottom of Brothers and through the road reserve on to the Cunningham Highway.

So if you were coming from Brisbane on the Cunningham Highway, you could go around on to Stafford Street or you could get on the Robertson Rd-Salisbury Rd extension.

Other projects include the Edwards St extension, which would be the link between the big populated area of Ripley and the Ipswich CBD, to make sure Ripley residents don't turn their backs on the CBD.

A long term project is the Church St link, another river crossing linking Tivoli and North Booval with a corridor preserved through the development.

The council is also upgrading Redbank Plains Rd to make it a better alternative to the Ipswich Motorway, to link suburbs such as Springfield to the city centre.

#Metro

I think we should search for more information/request more info on this one.

I do not automatically think that anti-roads is pro-PT. Buses work well when there are fast, straight arterials (i.e. NOT freeways).
The Blue Rapid service between Belconnen, Canberra CBD, Woden and Tuggeranong interchange would be one example of this.
The speed on this service reaches 80 km/hour, comparable to Brisbane Class A busways and the frequency is 5-8 minutes all day long, just like a busway.
Priority to buses are given at key locations.

There needs to be discussion on what the alternatives are I think.

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

colinw

Sigh.  ::)

http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/MMS/StatementDisplaySingle.aspx?id=75014

QuoteTransport and Multicultural Affairs
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Transport Minister gets first hand look at trucking industry on HaulMark A- Double

Transport Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk today travelled the Toowoomba to Brisbane freight route in a special truck that helps reduce greenhouse emissions and heavy vehicle movement.

Transport operators have benefited from a new agreement that allows more freight-efficient vehicles to carry two large containers in one trip along the Toowoomba to Brisbane supply line.

"Vehicles up to 30 metres long are permitted to travel on the route without compromising safety or causing additional road damage," she said.

"This initiative has the potential to achieve significant freight efficient gains by reducing heavy vehicle numbers on the vital Toowoomba to Brisbane corridor."

The Haulmark A Double truck can haul 120,000 tonne of freight per year in 2400 trips.

"Previously that could only be achieved with 4800 trips over the same distances," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"That's a 50 per cent reduction in heavy vehicle movements and a 572 tonne reduction in CO2 emssions."

Ms Palaszczuk said the Department of Transport and Main Roads had assessed the route at 10-metre intervals using strict criteria to determine if the roads could safely accommodate slightly longer vehicles.

"Many of the roads were built before longer and heavier vehicles existed, so it was important to ensure they wouldn't cause any additional damage to the road and that other road users wouldn't be adversely impacted," Ms Palaszczuk said.

Ms Palaszczuk met with HaulMark representative Mark Johnston and Brett Plumber from South East Queensland Hauliers for the truck journey today to hear about innovation within the trucking industry.

"Queensland's trucking industry is strong and vibrant," she said.

"It's one of the reasons why our state will be home for the office of the heavy vehicle regulator – a body to be established to administer nationwide rules and regulations for all vehicles over 4.5 tonnes, including inspection standards, safe driving hours, mass limits and registration."

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

A double trucks - more grief

1 June 2011

Greetings,

Bulk freight should be back on rail.  There is has been yet another truck involved in a crash on the range today.

A - Double trucks are simply a recipe for disaster on any road, let alone the Toowoomba range.

Spin doesn't hide  the reality.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

======================

Transport and Multicultural Affairs
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
01/06/2011

Transport Minister gets first hand look at trucking industry on HaulMark A- Double

Transport Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk today travelled the Toowoomba to Brisbane freight route in a special truck that helps reduce greenhouse emissions and heavy vehicle movement.

Transport operators have benefited from a new agreement that allows more freight-efficient vehicles to carry two large containers in one trip along the Toowoomba to Brisbane supply line.

"Vehicles up to 30 metres long are permitted to travel on the route without compromising safety or causing additional road damage," she said.

"This initiative has the potential to achieve significant freight efficient gains by reducing heavy vehicle numbers on the vital Toowoomba to Brisbane corridor."

The Haulmark A Double truck can haul 120,000 tonne of freight per year in 2400 trips.

"Previously that could only be achieved with 4800 trips over the same distances," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"That's a 50 per cent reduction in heavy vehicle movements and a 572 tonne reduction in CO2 emssions."

Ms Palaszczuk said the Department of Transport and Main Roads had assessed the route at 10-metre intervals using strict criteria to determine if the roads could safely accommodate slightly longer vehicles.

"Many of the roads were built before longer and heavier vehicles existed, so it was important to ensure they wouldn't cause any additional damage to the road and that other road users wouldn't be adversely impacted," Ms Palaszczuk said.

Ms Palaszczuk met with HaulMark representative Mark Johnston and Brett Plumber from South East Queensland Hauliers for the truck journey today to hear about innovation within the trucking industry.

"It's one of the reasons why our state will be home for the office of the heavy vehicle regulator - a body to be established to administer nationwide rules and regulations for all vehicles over 4.5 tonnes, including inspection standards, safe driving hours, mass limits and registration."

==============================================================

colinw

This is very disappointing, because rail meets and exceeds all the objectives that Ms Palaszczuk claims A-doubles achieve.

The elephant in the room is under investment in the line to Toowoomba.  It is at capacity due to burgeoning coal traffic, and the limited loading gauge means not all rollingstock can use the line, nor can some types of container fit through the tunnels. Some types of traffic simply cannot be carried on the line to Toowoomba.

O_128

Quote from: colinw on June 01, 2011, 11:54:35 AM
This is very disappointing, because rail meets and exceeds all the objectives that Ms Palaszczuk claims A-doubles achieve.

The elephant in the room is under investment in the line to Toowoomba.  It is at capacity due to burgeoning coal traffic, and the limited loading gauge means not all rollingstock can use the line, nor can some types of container fit through the tunnels. Some types of traffic simply cannot be carried on the line to Toowoomba.

How many trips would the train carry that coal in?
"Where else but Queensland?"

ozbob

QuoteThe Haulmark A Double truck can haul 120,000 tonne of freight per year in 2400 trips.

A conservative tonnage for the range would be  1200 tonne for rail, this is equivalent to  100 trips.  A lot less than 2400 trips using A doubles ...

colinw

Why do I suspect the Government's policy re Toowoomba is to ignore it, do nothing, and hope for a big Federal handout if the ill-considered Melbourne via Toowoomba scheme comes to fruition?

mufreight

Another example of duplicity and spin by a Government having no concern for the safety of the majority of road users and unwilling to provide the infrastructure needed for the safe and efficent movement of freight.
The use of these A Double road units and the use of B Tripple units should under no circumstances be allowed over either the Toowoomba Range or Cunninghams Gap.
The "trial" of these units of the stretch of road with the highest numbers of heavy vehicle accidents per year on the entire Australian road system shows the contempt that this Government has for the safety of road users, it was of note that the Minister made the trip up the range in dry weather on a lightly loaded unit rather than down the range with a maximum (or overload) on a wet road in fog.
No doubt this is a precursor to the justification for only building the Inland rail link from Melbourne to Brisbane only as far as Toowoomba then onforwarding the freight down the range to Brisbane, an estimated tonnage of some 4500 tonnes daily or in excess of some 180 truck movements of a combination of A Doubles, B Doubles and B Tripples rather than the same toonage of freight on rail as 3 rail movements in each direction.
Such is the levels of duplicity and spin of the current Government and Transport Minister.
Money needs to be spent on rail infrastructure and there is no justification for the Inland rail link to be routed via Toowoomba when by routing it via Warwick and Murphys Gap the rail line would be some 85km shorter and transit times would be better than 1 hour shorter with a resulting reduction in freight costs and would allow rail to better compete with road freight thus reducing rather than increasing the volume of freight on the road system.
An interesting exercise is to take the time to research as to who are the major shareholders in the proposed/under construction intermodal terminal at Gowrie and their political affiliations.  

colinw

Yeah, I'd like to see the minister ride a fully loaded one down the range on a wet & foggy day (the kind I used to walk to school through).

I get a queasy feeling every time I go down the range in the Greyhound bus. One of the reasons why I used to use the 2:25PM Toowoomba to Ipswich railcar which ran every Sunday until 1993. I was generally the only passenger until Helidon.

It was slower than catching McCafferty's, but very scenic and a very enjoyable trip.  The antics of the QR staff in Toowoomba when I attempted to purchase a ticket were hilarious.  First they would try to direct me to McCafferty's, and on one occasion denied the existence of the service until I pointed it out as a footnote in the Helidon timetable.

Those 2000 class railcar runs to Helidon & Toowoomba will be a precious memory for me always.  Great days.

colinw

Right on cue:

The Chronicle -> Crash closes Range

QuoteBREAKING: Police and emergency services are currently at the scene of a three vehicle crash which has closed the down-section of the Toowoomba Range.

Preliminary investigations suggest that a truck collided with two cars shortly after 10am.

The down-section of the range is currently closed and diversions are in place.

Motorists are advised to expect delays and to seek an alternative route if possible.

It is expected that the downward section of the Range will be closed for several hours.

ozbob

QuoteTransport Minister gets first hand look at trucking industry on HaulMark A- Double

Yesterday, Harcourt Road Darra a b-double truck failed to give way as I proceeded along Harcourt Road, the truck then turned against the oncoming traffic flow when crossing the Ipswich Highway Cardiff Road and turning into the road along side Ipswich Highway.

This is deliberate and just reflects the attitude of these heavy vehicle drivers.  There are constant problems with these oversize vehicles at Harcourt Road and elsewhere. They chop up road surfaces.

Travelling along the Ipswich highway today from Darra to Goodna, there are temporary restrictions 80/km near Progress Road (workers repairing edging/fencing).  I slowed and travelled at the recommended speed, three trucks and some other 4wds and cars kept their convoy speed of 95 to 105 km/h.

Lately there has been some radar operating on the Ipswich Highway as you leave Goodna and go around the sweeping left hand curve where the Logan motorway turnoff is.  The speed limit is 80 km/h.  I am usually the only vehicle obeying the speed limit, but what has been good is that there is a safe position for the police (a blind lane under construction) such that they sit under a flashing 80km/h, point the gun and pull them up.  When the radar is going there always a line up of offenders.  They just don't seem to care.  Being tailgated by other cars is one thing, speeding trucks that have no hope of pulling up is another.  Honestly, I am really very concerned with the notion of A doubles running there was well.

Quote"This initiative has the potential to achieve significant freight efficient gains by reducing heavy vehicle numbers on the vital Toowoomba to Brisbane corridor."

The rail line has far more potential.

QuoteThe Haulmark A Double truck can haul 120,000 tonne of freight per year in 2400 trips.

120,000 tonne is 100 rail loads on the range.

QuoteMs Palaszczuk said the Department of Transport and Main Roads had assessed the route at 10-metre intervals using strict criteria to determine if the roads could safely accommodate slightly longer vehicles.

Sure is, they don't pay anything like the true cost of the infrastructure they use or ruin, do they?

ozbob

From the Brisbanetimes click here!

Kenmore bypass barred from fast lane

QuoteKenmore bypass barred from fast lane
Tony Moore
June 2, 2011 - 3:00AM

The state government will not fast-track a Kenmore Bypass to take pressure off the congested Moggill Road, despite fears the Legacy Way tunnel will add to the problem.

However Main Roads Minister Craig Wallace yesterday said the government's focus was on fixing roads damaged by this year's floods..

"We have no intention of pushing other projects back to bring this one forward," he said.

"Our priority is reconstruction of our damaged road network."

Main Roads' latest estimate is that Queensland's road network suffered $4.2 billion of damage during the floods, cyclones and storms in 2011.

Most of that damage was in central Queensland.

The decision will mean the Kenmore Bypass, which would provide a link from Fig Tree Pocket to the Centenary Motorway, would not begin until 2021.

Estimates show the bypass could cut Moggill Road traffic by between 30 and 50 per cent in some sections by 2026.

In April 2010, a Co-ordinator General's study found Brisbane's road network surrounding the Legacy Way tunnel would carry extra traffic by the time it opened.

"Based on [Main Roads] advice I conclude that surrounding road networks will reach carrying capacity prior to [Legacy Way] reaching its capacity," he said in his report.

"There will be a need for further road infrastructure improvements in the future to consider this and potential remedial measures."

The 3.3 kilometre Kenmore Bypass would cost about $560 million as a two-lane link, or about $960 million as a four-lane bypass.

The RACQ's latest travel time survey shows traffic crawling at seven kilometres an hour in the Chapel Hill to Kenmore stretch of the road.

RACQ senior traffic and safety engineer Greg Miszkowycz said he believed the Kenmore Bypass should be done within five years and not 10.

"It was part of our submission on the Intergrated Regional Transport Plan and the Kenmore Bypass was one of the priority projects we highlighted in that submission," he said.

"So we obviously see value in the short-term, rather than in the long-term for that effective bypass of the Kenmore and Chapel Hill areas."

Mr Miszkowycz said the RACQ's travel time survey again showed it was one of Brisbane's most congested roads.

"It again was one of the slowest in-bound morning commutes," he said.

Lord Mayor Graham Quirk said Brisbane City Council had constantly asked for the Kenmore Bypass to be bought forward.

"The reality is that it is not something that we have direct power over and we would just ask the state government to reconsider and to get on with it," he said.

Local opposition MP Bruce Flegg said it was disappointing that no decision had been made on the project.

"The inbound travel times through Chapel Hill there is seven kilometres an hour now according to the RACQ," Dr Flegg said.

"That is walking pace. I mean it is simply disastrous for people who live out there."

Dr Flegg said the University of Queensland was exploring options to sell off some of its Moggill land as residential sites which would put even further pressure on Moggill Road.

A Main Roads spokesman said the study into the Centenary Motorway would be finished in 2013.

"This study looks at future transport solutions and staging options for motorway, cycle and bus infrastructure upgrades along the Centenary Motorway corridor from the Ipswich Motorway interchange to Milton Road," he said.

"Potential upgrade options for Centenary Motorway will be developed as the study continues and transport patterns across the corridor are investigated further."

That includes Main Roads as yet unplanned "Inner Orbital Tunnel" running north from Toowong to Everton Park.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/kenmore-bypass-barred-from-fast-lane-20110601-1fgfe.html#ixzz1O2vQ4iCb

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> Brisbane's southside a nightmare for motorists

I am of the view that the Northside, Eastside and Westside is not any good either ...

colinw

The Chronicle -> Warrego flagged as deadly highway

QuoteTHE Warrego Highway has again been identified as one of Queensland's worst highways.

The Darling Downs section, from Toowoomba to Miles, ranked second behind the Bruce Highway in the RACQ's Unroadworthy Roads Survey, released yesterday.

Of the survey's 2174 respondents, 285 rated the section as the worst in Queensland.

All three sections of the Warrego, from Ipswich to Charleville, made the top 10.

The main problems survey respondents had were that the highway's surface was too rough, too narrow and not adequate to handle the current volume of traffic.

Federal Member for Groom Ian Macfarlane said the results of the survey were expected considering the lack of funding or improvements in recent times.

"The highway has been completely neglected by the current government," he said.

"They haven't provided any sensible solutions to the Range crossing and they've done no serious maintenance on the road west of Toowoomba."

Mr Macfarlane said the highway's condition was only going to get worse as heavy traffic associated with Surat Basin mining increased.

"It's in a total state of disrepair," he said.

ozbob

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

22nd June 2011

The real road carnage ..

Greetings,

The road toll is completely out of control.  The fixation on fatalities is masking the other serious impacts.  It would be of great benefit to the Australian community if the media actually reported the ever escalating injury toll as well as the fatalities.  It is the injury toll that is the major component of the escalating and out of control management costs of the  horrific tale of road injuries.  This might then assist in actually getting a paradigm change in thinking and action.

As a nation we must start to properly resource safe, sustainable transport for all, namely rail.

The road centric madness continues and the mounting toll of the dead, the maimed, the scarred, is indeed 'breaking the nation'.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

=======================

http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=3

Summary: The road trauma cost is a drain on our economy. It is not sustainable. It is now clear that as a nation we must move to safe sustainable transport systems for people and bulk freight. Road trauma is breaking the nation

There are few Australians that have not felt the grief, the loss, the hopelessness, of the ongoing tragedy of the consequences of road trauma. Every day the media chronicles the sad litany.  A recent study commissioned by the Australasian Railway Association on the cost of road crashes has revealed the cost in blunt economic terms (1).  Previous estimates have been conservative underestimates; this latest rigorous systematic study has revealed the costs of road fatalities and trauma to be in the order of at least thirty five billion dollars annually.  This figure is going to increase rapidly as the road injury management costs continue to climb.  There is a much wider social cost to be added but for now let us just consider the economic impact of the road trauma.

This road trauma cost is a drain on our economy.  It is not sustainable.  It is now clear that as a nation we must move to safe sustainable transport systems for people and bulk freight.  Investment in safe public transport through infrastructure and operating subsidies actually saves money.  This is a lesson transport planners and governments everywhere must heed.  The massive expenditure on roads is leading to unmanageable cost impacts.  Investment in safe transport systems is actually saving money.  Next time you are held up at a railway crossing as a packed peak hour commuter train passes, give out three cheers.  Those passengers are saving you and Australia ultimately a lot of pain.

Rail is approximately 40 times safer than travel by car.  Travel by bus is about 10 times safer than travel by car.  It is clear that we need to start maximizing use of our rail networks, and support those networks with bus transport to feed rail stations where possible.  A major project such as the Cross River Rail Tunnel for Brisbane is actually going to return huge savings.  The tunnel is equivalent to a 30 lane road highway in terms of passenger capacity.  Why haven't we started the actual digging?

The rail network in south east Queensland is underutilised.  It is time to increase train frequency on all the major lines.  Ideally no less frequent than 15 minutes in off peak periods during the day, peak times more frequent as loadings demand.  Weekends, holidays and after 9pm at night no less frequent than 20 minutes.  Properly support the increased rail frequency with a coordinated feeder bus network.  Make travel by public transport attractive.  The present rail timetable in South East Queensland has one of the worst train frequencies in Australia and for comparable size cities worldwide.  A high frequency rail service makes bus rail connections much more functional and encourages people to get out of their cars and onto safe transport.

The social isolation of cars is something we seldom consider.  In the 1950s, family trips to visit relatives in the country or city were usually by rail, an adventure and sharing an experience with others.  There was a feeling of community and belonging and the opportunity to meet new folk.  Many encounters on public transport have endured as long lasting friendships.   The social isolation of cars is not conducive for a healthy community.  The increasing demand for anti-depressant medications for example is a sign of an increasingly unhappy nation.  Little wonder when one considers the terrifying impact of the road toll.  Regular travel by public transport is a community experience.  There is social contact and a feeling of belonging.  Most journeys by public transport involve an element of active transport, walking or perhaps a bicycle ride to and from the bus or rail stations at departure and end points of the public transport ride.  This active transport leads to healthy outcomes.  There is a reduction in obesity and diabetes, both conditions that are costly for our communities and health care.

We need roads, but we must start to correct the imbalance in funding that is road centric.  There are signs that those in government are starting to hear this message.  Recent commitments for the long overdue Petrie to Kippa-Ring railway in Queensland and the railway from Parramatta to Epping in New South Wales are very welcome. But much more needs to be done.  In south-east Queensland here are some immediate rail priorities:  extend the Gold Coast railway to Coolangatta, duplicate the Sunshine Coast line from Beerburrum to Landsborough and eventually to Nambour, full duplication of the Cleveland line beyond Manly, Coomera to Helensvale duplication, Lawnton to Petrie triplication, Kuraby to Kingston triplication, Darra to Redbank triplication, and electrification from Rosewood to Gatton.  These improvements are needed to provide the backbone of a safe sustainable public transport network for a sustainable future.

To augment the heavy rail network, bus rapid transit and light rail has its role. The Gold Coast light rail is going to herald a change in our thinking.  Modern light rail is a superb people mover.  The loss of the tram system in Brisbane in 1969 can only be described as a disaster.  If the tram system had been kept operational it would have evolved as has the tram network in Melbourne which is now the greatest tram system in the world.  However, in the years to come there will be opportunities to return modern light rail to Brisbane, and it is the Gold Coast light rail that will alert citizens to what is possible.  Continued support for active transport options is also very cost effective.  Expansions of the bicycle path network are sensible, but also improve the amenity for pedestrians, the walkers.

The most important factor in driving public transport uptake is frequency.  The train frequency can be increased very quickly.  The other projects will take a little longer.  Now is the time to start to shake off the economic straight jacket of road trauma.  We must, the costs of road trauma are breaking our nation.

Reference:

1.  Australasian Railway Association Inc  The cost of road crashes: A review of key issues Dr Richard Tooth  http://www.ara.net.au/UserFiles/file/Publications/TheCostofRoadCrashesReport.pdf

Mr Robert Dow is the administrator and founder of RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org  a web based community group that advocates for sustainable transport solutions.

Robert is by profession a Medical Scientist, and is a Life member and Fellow of the Australian Institute of Medical Scientists.

ozbob

Clem7's downward spiral continues

QuoteClem7's downward spiral continues
Tony Moore
June 30, 2011 - 3:00AM

Clem7 traffic has slumped 11 per cent since receivers were appointed to the beleaguered tunnel in February.

The number of vehicles using the tunnel has dropped from a Friday average of 31,748 in February to 28,244 this month, a slump of more than 3500.

Friday is typically the most popular day for motorists using the Clem7.

The biggest contributor to the declining number of vehicles is most likely the toll, which was increased from April 4 to $3.95 per car, up from the heavily-discounted $2 a journey.

The highest number of vehicles using the Clem7 tunnel was in September 2010, which recorded a Friday average of 33,068.

That means there are almost 5000 fewer vehicles each day - 4824 - using the tunnel now than there were last September.

There was speculation in March that the Clem7 receivers, KordaMentha, would sell the infrastructure project quickly to allow new operators to set new conditions.

KordaMentha were appointed receivers in February 2011.

On March 8, analysts judged the almost $3 billion asset would sell for around $650 million.

At that time, KordaMentha said it was too early for the receivers to have adequately assessed the asset.

In March, KordaMentha partner Martin Madden said talks with lenders about whether to sell the Clem7 were still some time away.

"We haven't finalised the timeframe within which we would or would not conduct a sale or refinance the debt," he said at the time.

No representative of KordaMentha returned calls to brisbanetimes.com.au yesterday, despite several calls to two company partners.

In the frame to buy the Clem7 tunnel business are the Queensland Investment Corporation; Transurban, which runs tollways in Sydney and Melbourne; and Canadian pension fund groups.

Transurban operates five of the nine roads in the Sydney orbital network - the Hills M2, the Eastern Distributor, Lane Cove Tunnel, Westlink M7 and the M5 Motorway.

It also runs Melbourne's 22-kilometre CityLink tollway in its southern and western suburbs.

Wes Ballantine, the general manager of Transurban's investor relations, media and government relations, also did not return calls.

In March, Transurban's chief executive, Chris Lynch, said he was "open" to further acquisitions, but he would not comment on whether it would be interested in the Clem7.

- with Matt O'Sullivan.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/clem7s-downward-spiral-continues-20110628-1gox9.html

dwb

Quote from: ozbob on June 29, 2011, 04:09:15 AM

Clem7's downward spiral continues

QuoteClem7's downward spiral continues
Tony Moore
June 30, 2011 - 3:00AM

Clem7 traffic has slumped 11 per cent since receivers were appointed to the beleaguered tunnel in February.

The number of vehicles using the tunnel has dropped from a Friday average of 31,748 in February to 28,244 this month, a slump of more than 3500.

Friday is typically the most popular day for motorists using the Clem7.

The biggest contributor to the declining number of vehicles is most likely the toll, which was increased from April 4 to $3.95 per car, up from the heavily-discounted $2 a journey.

Um, well the operator is hemorrhaging money at a lower rate than previously, the average daily friday take has gone from a little over $63k up to more than $111k. So clearly for a double in cost, and a fall in patronage of 10%, those who are using aren't that elastic.

🡱 🡳