• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Roads - articles and discussion

Started by ozbob, November 02, 2010, 03:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinw

Setting aside my flippant remarks above, does anyone know if the KSD upgrade design does cater for the rail corridor into Northshore that some planning documents (including their website) claim is preserved?

I know there are bigger fish to fry than fixing up the pain-in-the-bum Doomben line, but it would be typical if the major development that could have been the line's saviour ends up dooming it instead.

Preserving future and closed branch corridors for rail/busway/bike/pedestrian/whatever use is something of a hot button issue for me. Not just the Coldstores branch, but also lines like Cab - Wamuran, Bethania - Logan Village, etc.  Maybe never to be used, but FFS don't give up that corridor, particularly if it runs anywhere near a site where the next Springfield may get built.

hU0N

There is only about 460m track from the end of platforms at Doomben station to the edge of the existing KSD road reserve (which will probably shrink when KSD is widened). And this length of track is already running down grade by 2m vertically. Combined with QR structure gague (7.9m from the rail head), plus a reasonable thickness for bridge deck and sleepers/ballast, means the line would have to drop by around 11m. Even at a steep 1:30 grade this would take almost 350m. I don't know much about these sort of things, but would that leave enough room for a junction after leaving the platform at Doomben?

pandmaster

Given that at best the KSD "upgrade" is at best a lower priority project in the Brisbane context, will BCC have to go through Infrastructure Queensland as well as the state government? If not, think this deserves a media release before IQ is set up. BCC is willing to spend buckets of cash (e.g. KSD, Lytton Road) yet I doubt anyone would argue that they are more important that CRR.

colinw

Quote from: hU0N on April 25, 2015, 00:04:21 AM
There is only about 460m track from the end of platforms at Doomben station to the edge of the existing KSD road reserve (which will probably shrink when KSD is widened). And this length of track is already running down grade by 2m vertically. Combined with QR structure gague (7.9m from the rail head), plus a reasonable thickness for bridge deck and sleepers/ballast, means the line would have to drop by around 11m. Even at a steep 1:30 grade this would take almost 350m. I don't know much about these sort of things, but would that leave enough room for a junction after leaving the platform at Doomben?

Doable as a flyover then.  The 2m drop would prevent a sensible gradient for an underpass, but works in favour of taking the line over KSD.

For comparison:

From the points underneath the ICB to the Ferny Grove Flyover passing over the NCL is approximately 365 metres.

From the points beyond Doomben to KSD is approximately 410 metres.

Factor in the 2m drop to KSD, and passing the line over KSD with gradients probably less severe than the Ferny Grove flyover seems quite feasible.

I don't think any of this is a pressing priority, just that the corridor needs to be retained and the Doomben line ultimately extended and upgraded in order to safeguard its future.  The way the Doomben line operates right now does nobody any good - we need to either use it properly, or lose it.

Mods: is this discussion of the Doomben line worth splitting to own thread?  We've strayed well off the road topic here.

ozbob

Twitter

Penny Dahl ‏@Pennycopter 8 minutes ago

Another shocker for the Centenary Mwy thismorning inbound from Darra to Jindalee #bnetraffic

==================

:o
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

dancingmongoose

^ I think I can see ozbob down there on the side of the road... jumping up and down and waving something in the air... looks like a CentenaryGlider proposal... :hg

ozbob

Quote from: dancingmongoose on May 07, 2015, 13:47:45 PM
^ I think I can see ozbob down there on the side of the road... jumping up and down and waving something in the air... looks like a CentenaryGlider proposal... :hg

The only hope .. it is getting unmanageable most days ..  and it will only worsen

ozbob

Twitter

Penny Dahl ‏@Pennycopter 2 minutes ago

Traffic standstill on the Ipswich Mwy inbound due to a prang blocking the Centenary Hwy offramp at Darra #bnetraffic

:fp:

ozbob

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/roads-infrastructure-bikeways/tunnels-bridges-transport-links/legacy-way/tunnel-walk-through-event

Tunnel walk-through event

Legacy Way is opening soon and to celebrate the completion, residents are invited to take part in a once-in-a-lifetime experience inside the tunnel.

On Sunday 31 May, Council is hosting a family friendly walk through Legacy Way before it opens to traffic.

The event will only be accessible by public transport, with free bus pick-up and drop-off points at Roma Street, King George Square, Toowong, Indooroopilly and Darra.

Registration is essential so book your spot now for this free event. > http://wired.ivvy.com/event/TCW15/

Legacy Way is named after Legacy, a charity that cares for the families of Defence Force veterans. Currently, Legacy cares for over 90,000 widows and 1900 children and disabled dependants throughout Australia. Look out for a link in your confirmation email to donate to Legacy and support the great work they do in helping the families of our defence force veterans.

Registration is now open so lace up your walking shoes and get ready for this money-can't-buy event.

#Metro

Does this have an interface with the INB?
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Quote from: LD Transit on May 12, 2015, 19:12:55 PM

Not sure. It was to be linked if the B of BaT proceeded but I doubt if the connections have been enabled.

Brisbanetimes --> Legacy Way and BaT tunnel to be linked, ending long commute from western suburbs

It should have linked regardless of BaT but we know that Feds, State and Council all failed to ensure that.  The cost was around $50M and despite the surplus they didn't commit.

I have sent in a query to Legacy Way.  See if I get a response.

ozbob

Media Release
Minister for Main Roads, Road Safety and Ports and Minister for Energy and Water Supply
The Honourable Mark Bailey

Plenty of nothing for busy SEQ motorways

Main Roads and Road Safety Minister Mark Bailey said some of South East Queensland's busiest motorways had missed out on funding in the Abbott Government's $50 billion federal budget.

Mr Bailey said no funding was allocated to widen the Pacific Motorway to six lanes between Mudgeeraba and Varsity Lakes.

"This nationally-significant link forms part of the National Land Transport Network for which the Federal Government has primary funding responsibility. This means they have a responsibility for the safety of many thousands of motorists who drive this section of the motorway every day.

"We asked for $350 million. We got nothing.

"There was nothing in the federal budget to progress important project planning on the Pacific Motorway (Gateway to Tugun) including where it intersects with the Gateway Motorway at Eight Mile Plains and for an eight-lane upgrade through to Springwood.

"We asked for $20 million to progress this vital planning. Again, we got nothing."

Mr Bailey said the Abbott Government is being unreasonable by insisting on 50:50 funding for continued upgrades of the Ipswich Motorway, which to date, were largely fully-funded by the Federal Government.

"The Queensland Government was reluctantly prepared to fund the Rocklea to Darra section on an 80:20 basis, but the Abbott Government wasn't even prepared to meet us half-way on this important $558 million project.

A number of other national highway priorities across Queensland also missed out on funds in the federal budget.

$345 million for Cunningham Highway – Yamanto to Ebenezer and Amberley upgrade - nothing
    $40 million for Gore Highway from Millmerran to Goondiwindi - nothing
    $57 million for New England Highway – Accommodation Creek upgrade - nothing
    $30 million for Gore Highway - Wyaga Creek upgrade - nothing

Mr Bailey said the Abbott Government had also siphoned $78 million from an agreed contingency reserve for road funding in Queensland.

"They channelled these funds into other national programs that are not roads-related. These programs should have been funded in their own right. It's like robbing Peter to pay Paul," he said.

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on May 14, 2015, 03:41:12 AM
Quote from: LD Transit on May 12, 2015, 19:12:55 PM

Not sure. It was to be linked if the B of BaT proceeded but I doubt if the connections have been enabled.

Brisbanetimes --> Legacy Way and BaT tunnel to be linked, ending long commute from western suburbs

It should have linked regardless of BaT but we know that Feds, State and Council all failed to ensure that.  The cost was around $50M and despite the surplus they didn't commit.

I have sent in a query to Legacy Way.  See if I get a response.

Response received, as I suspected ...

info@transcityjv.com.au

6.37am 14th May 2015

HI Robert

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that there are no connections from Legacy Way to the busway.

Legacy Way connects directly between the Western Freeway and Inner City Bypass.

Thanks

ozbob

pandmaster

If Legacy Way had a busway connection then there may be more buses than cars using the tunnel.  :hg

Good on Abbott for not funding those urban road projects. Particularly the four-laning of the Pacific Motorway: where do you draw the line when you get a road that wide? Surely it is time to consider alternatives.

Jonno

The failed tunnels will one day be turned into busway, light rail or freight rail!!

SurfRail

Most of the corridors probably have dubious benefit for use as rail corridors (or the grades wouldn't even allow it), so I'm hanging out for agriculture myself.  Hydroponics, aeroponics, cheese maturation and the like.  :co3
Ride the G:

pandmaster

Legacy Way tunnel opening still unclear
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/legacy-way-tunnel-opening-still-unclear-20150519-gh5bnc.html

How can Quirk have no idea what the tolls will be. Why are Transurban setting the tolls and not BCC or the Queensland Government. Buses will be alright City bound from the tunnel, however from the City it will be a massive pain to get into the tunnel. If any buses are actually put on hopefully they can come off Coro Drive.

red dragin

The other two went through the same process re opening day.

Airport link combined with Legacy Way will be handy for north side to south west trucks. Time and fuel savings should beat the Gateway/Logan trip.

#Metro

Anyone want to have guesses on what the toll will be?

:fo:
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

pandmaster

Quote from: LD Transit on May 19, 2015, 22:53:57 PM
Anyone want to have guesses on what the toll will be?

:fo:

Phased in like other tolls. Probably like $2.50 or so to begin with. Once full tolling starts I reckon $5.

Will they have learned from other tolls roads not to be too greedy? Quite possibly, though I doubt it and think it will be comparable with the other tunnels. Is it equipped for variable tolling? That Clem7 and APL are not really p%sses me off.

Jonno

Busway conversion here we come!!!

ozbob

ozbob

SurfRail

It's a design known as a SPUI (single point urban interchange).  The main benefit is that it is very space efficient.

No idea why it should be so accident prone.  Maybe people are just inept.
Ride the G:

red dragin

I think the intersections beside it are too close. People turn into the wrong lane then have to switch in a hurry.

That combined with the below average driving ability of your typical QLD driver.

Stillwater

Just follow the lines on the road, surely.  If anything, needs some signs and arrows, perhaps.

Jonno

For roads designed to stop people crashing the are very effective at doing exactly that

ozbob

Twitter

Emma Blackwood ‏@EmmaBlackwood11 10 minutes ago

40% discount on Legacy Way tunnel tolls for first few months, then 20% off til May 2016. Could open late next month.

petey3801

Hmm, $4.85 for a trip that, in off-peak, will save approx. 90 seconds. I think not.
All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those held by my employer.

ozbob

ozbob

Twitter

Penny Dahl ‏@Pennycopter 12 minutes ago

Huge delays from a truck and car smash on the Western Fwy inbound at Indooroopilly, back to Mt Ommaney #bnetraffic

ozbob

Twitter

Sarah Greenhalgh ‏@GreenhalghSarah 33m

PIC: Traffic SLOWLY starting to move south after crash on M1 near Springwood. Still best to avoid! @7NewsBrisbane

ozbob

dancingmongoose

Yahoo 7 --> Why Legacy Way Won't Open On Time

Maybe the revenue from the 'fines' can go towards other more important transport infrastructure *cough*CRR*cough*. No chance with Quirk at the helm I don't think

ozbob

ozbob

🡱 🡳