• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Roads - articles and discussion

Started by ozbob, November 02, 2010, 03:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

pandmaster

Quote from: ozbob on November 15, 2010, 19:27:15 PM
I am now of the view that Brisbane has all the roads it will ever need.  Some access roads will need to be constructed for new developments and so forth but the basic road network is done.   The emphasis now has to be on public transport (mass transit) as roads will never solve the mess, but there is a bigger whammy on the way, peak oil.   Time to start tap dancing ..

If the State Government was really with it they would can Northern Link as well.  Not needed and a huge financial risk.

I absolutely agree. The road system is excellent, just too many unnecessary (i.e. could use existing or future public transport) trips creating congestion. Continued public transport investment to ease road traffic volumes would improve the quality of life for motorists and PT users alike. The road system is finished, now time to focus on alternate modes.

KSD widening is madness! I used to spend a lot of time around Hamilton/Ascot and the traffic was always surprisingly light along KSD. A slight extension to the existing railway (possibly removing KSD level crossing) to Northshore Hamilton/Portside and moving the existing Doomben to Eagle Farm poles and wire over to reduce costs  in addition to frequency improvements would further reduce KSD traffic. A much better use of ratepayer funds IMHO.

Eagle Farm Racecourse looks tantalising as a TOD to further boost Doomben Line demand...

ozbob

Twitter

Penny Dahl (Cameron) ‏@Pennycopter

Traffic crawling through Deagon after accidents on the Gateway and Deagon Deviation #bnetraffic http://t.co/XKOcUOdVZZ

ozbob

ozbob

Twitter

Another shocker on the Logan Mwy this morning westbound through Drewvale #bnetraffic http://t.co/2HP8g7zMlQ

Jonno

ozbob

Twitter

Majors are woeful this morning. This is Beaudesert Rd/Mt Lindesay Mwy inbound through Browns Plains #bnetraffic http://t.co/dtWWf6mIUn

ozbob

Twitter

Penny Dahl (Cameron) ‏@Pennycopter 1h

Another woeful morning on the Ipswich Mwy inbound from Wacol to Oxley #bnetraffic http://t.co/bRVvxxB82j

===================

^ passed this mess as I tracked through Darra Centenary Village this morning.  Traffic was stopped, total grid lock.  The so called Fed Budget infrastructure money for Darra to Rocklea upgrade is < than half needed and this morning there is an article in the QT to the effect that has it stalled.  In fact all the upgrade from Darra to Rocklea is goiing to do is just move the worse of the choke points a little further in.  Will do nothing about the overall congestion issues, and just induce even more ..  welcome to 1960s transport policy revisited.

ozbob

Queensland Times --> Funding row throws up speed bump for Darra to Rocklea upgrade

QuoteHOPES for a start date on the Darra to Rocklea upgrade of the Ipswich Motorway have stalled, despite the Federal Government committing $280 million to kickstart the project in Tuesday's budget.

The first stage of the upgrade requires $560 million, so for work to proceed the State Government would need to chip in a further $280 million in a 50-50 split.

But Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson told The QT yesterday that his government's long-held position on an 80-20 split for the funding had not changed.

"While we welcome the $280 million investment from the Coalition, our position on the funding split has not changed," Mr Emerson said.

"As the Ipswich Motorway is a federal road the Queensland Government has always said it would commit to the traditional 80-20 funding split.

"We will continue to work with the Federal Government to get the best deal for Queensland."

The former federal Labor government paid $40 million for the State Government to come up with a design for the Darra to Rocklea section of the Ipswich Motorway.

The total cost was budgeted at $2.8 billion, with $560 million needed for the first stage.

Oxley MP Bernie Ripoll said he would welcome the motorway being finished, but said the state and federal governments would have to sort that out through negotiations.

"That is their challenge. Welcome to government," Mr Ripoll said.

"It is important that happens, because without that (first stage) the rest of it can't get done.

"Unless the Libs want to contribute at a state level then we don't have a road."

"I've campaigned for the Ipswich Motorway for more than 15 years and I want to see it finished.

"There is not that much more left to do but it is going to cost a fair bit of money.

"If two Liberal governments can't agree, then what chance has anyone else got?"

Mr Ripoll said the Labor Party budgeted $279 million before the last election for the upgrade.

"But we didn't find a partner in the state. The state just said no," he said. "The Liberals in the dying weeks of the election campaign offered the same amount as Labor, but Campbell Newman rejected it.

"So it is now up to the state, along with the Commonwealth, to come to an agreement."

But Mr Emerson said Mr Ripoll was rewriting history.

"It is a bit rich for Mr Ripoll to be making demands when he was part of the Labor team, led by Kevin Rudd, that promised in the 2007 election to fully fund the upgrade of the motorway.

"Labor not only broke this promise, but it continued to change the funding model expecting the State Government to pick up the shortfall."

:pfy: :pfy: :pfy:

#Metro

Quote^ passed this mess as I tracked through Darra Centenary Village this morning.  Traffic was stopped, total grid lock.  The so called Fed Budget infrastructure money for Darra to Rocklea upgrade is < than half needed and this morning there is an article in the QT to the effect that has it stalled.  In fact all the upgrade from Darra to Rocklea is goiing to do is just move the worse of the choke points a little further in.  Will do nothing about the overall congestion issues, and just induce even more ..  welcome to 1960s transport policy revisited.

Congestion could be solved by placement of a decongestion toll on these roads rather than multimillion/multibillion dollar lane expansion projects. It is not necessary to remove all congestion/traffic, only a small amount (say 5%) to get the road flowing again. A maximum $2 / day toll capped would solve this. Equity concerns could be dealt with by offering a discounted rate (same idea already used on buses and PT) or simply refunding the money at the end of the month or other period.

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Stillwater

The conservative state government took a punt that a conservative government in Canberra would look after them and 'do the right thing by Queensland'.  It took the same approach to the funding on offer for CRR -- hoping to get a better deal.  Instead they got a PM who doesn't believe in federal funding for PT in cities where the majority of Australians live and where a significant proportion of our national wealth is generated.

Jonno

Quote from: rtt_rules on May 15, 2014, 19:38:35 PM
Quote from: Lapdog Transit on May 15, 2014, 14:13:06 PM
Quote^ passed this mess as I tracked through Darra Centenary Village this morning.  Traffic was stopped, total grid lock.  The so called Fed Budget infrastructure money for Darra to Rocklea upgrade is < than half needed and this morning there is an article in the QT to the effect that has it stalled.  In fact all the upgrade from Darra to Rocklea is goiing to do is just move the worse of the choke points a little further in.  Will do nothing about the overall congestion issues, and just induce even more ..  welcome to 1960s transport policy revisited.

Congestion could be solved by placement of a decongestion toll on these roads rather than multimillion/multibillion dollar lane expansion projects. It is not necessary to remove all congestion/traffic, only a small amount (say 5%) to get the road flowing again. A maximum $2 / day toll capped would solve this. Equity concerns could be dealt with by offering a discounted rate (same idea already used on buses and PT) or simply refunding the money at the end of the month or other period.

How much of this traffic is PT convertable?

On the side, i was talking to an Irish neighbour yesterday about my wifes new commute. She drives Dubai-Abu Dhabi daily now. 75min each way, road speed is 120-140km/hr for most of the 140km distance. So not too made and the SWB Pajero kicks along ok.

I said I found out that she can drive 20km to a mall/Metro station bus station (she drives past it anyway), from there she can catch a bus to Abu Dhabi, 3-4 blocks from her office. She can walk or taxi the remainder. His reply, "3 modes of transport to get to work, sounds like planes trains and automobiles, rather drive."
I explained, when you move back home, you probably will do the same? Also for $5 each way on the bus (read nice coach, for hich you don't have the stress of driving, I'm talking real stress not Australian roads) and maybe read or sleep for 100km which takes 1hr even with cheap petrol (its costs her $12/day in petrol) its good value for money compared to driving and only marginally longer than driving. Still not convinced. Honestly, there is alot of the world on the same mental mind set as Australia.

Most surveys and research show that around 30-35% of traffic physically needs to be on the road (from local freight, light commercial, mobile trades, etc).  The vast majority is passenger trips that could and should be by foot, bike or public transport). 

So a lot can be converted but there is a large cultural change required.  We are culturally programmed now think car first for travel!

HappyTrainGuy

My money is that those surveys weren't based in South East Queensland.

ozbob

Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Scott Emerson
Friday, May 16, 2014

Plan to Fix the Bruce Highway starts with Cooroy to Curra

LEND Lease Engineering has secured the third and final contract for works to complete the Bruce Highway's $590 million Cooroy to Curra Section A upgrade.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development Warren Truss was on-site today to announce the awarding of the contract for the project.

"Lend Lease Engineering is already gearing up for the works between the Cooroy Southern Interchange and Cudgerie Drive," Mr Truss said.

"The Australian Government is committed to fixing the Bruce Highway – making it safer, more reliable and capable of handling high traffic volumes, and this project an example of the work to come.

"We are getting on with the job of delivering vital infrastructure projects that will benefit all Australians and, in this case, give Queensland the modern highway it desperately needs."

Queensland Minister for Transport and Main Roads Scott Emerson said the Australian and Queensland governments were working to bring the Bruce Highway up to a satisfactory standard.

"The Cooroy Southern Interchange to Cudgerie Drive contract announced today will duplicate the six kilometre Cooroy bypass and deliver two lanes in each direction, doubling the highway's capacity," Mr Emerson said.

"This project is another example of how we are keeping to our election promise of delivering better planning and better infrastructure.

"Additionally, new bridges will be built over Six Mile Creek and the existing Cooroy Southern Interchange will be upgraded."

The Australian and Queensland governments have each committed $295 million to the Cooroy to Curra Section A project, which is expected to be complete by late 2016.

James

Quote from: Jonno on May 15, 2014, 22:44:03 PM
Quote from: rtt_rules on May 15, 2014, 19:38:35 PMHow much of this traffic is PT convertable?

On the side, i was talking to an Irish neighbour yesterday about my wifes new commute. She drives Dubai-Abu Dhabi daily now. 75min each way, road speed is 120-140km/hr for most of the 140km distance. So not too made and the SWB Pajero kicks along ok.

I said I found out that she can drive 20km to a mall/Metro station bus station (she drives past it anyway), from there she can catch a bus to Abu Dhabi, 3-4 blocks from her office. She can walk or taxi the remainder. His reply, "3 modes of transport to get to work, sounds like planes trains and automobiles, rather drive."
I explained, when you move back home, you probably will do the same? Also for $5 each way on the bus (read nice coach, for hich you don't have the stress of driving, I'm talking real stress not Australian roads) and maybe read or sleep for 100km which takes 1hr even with cheap petrol (its costs her $12/day in petrol) its good value for money compared to driving and only marginally longer than driving. Still not convinced. Honestly, there is alot of the world on the same mental mind set as Australia.

Most surveys and research show that around 30-35% of traffic physically needs to be on the road (from local freight, light commercial, mobile trades, etc).  The vast majority is passenger trips that could and should be by foot, bike or public transport. 

So a lot can be converted but there is a large cultural change required.  We are culturally programmed now think car first for travel!

There are issues with active transport, especially in a warm country like ours. You sweat. And sweat causes all kinds of not-nice things, from unpleasant odours to a general sticky feeling. The reason why I bus to Uni, when I could easily cycle/walk, is partly because of the time it takes, and partly because of the fact that I arrive at my destination sweating. It isn't pleasant.

AT is a very nice option in Europe (especially northern Europe) where anything above 20 C (our average July maximum) is a 'heatwave' and people sunbake at 14 degrees. People don't sweat, and everybody generally lives closer together. By relative comparison, even on a warm winter's day you can get sweaty and people in Australia live a lot further apart (i.e. average distance to travel is longer, and hence, more exertion). In other words, beyond 1km, for a lot of people walking and cycling becomes impractical.

This leaves PT. Thanks to anti-PT developments and general anti-PT sentiment in the community (unreliability) combined with low density (making frequent PT expensive to run) essentially degrade PT to a peak-only type thing.

Overall, I think 1 in 2 journeys made by people can be done by cars and cars only (in a reasonable fashion). If I look at my own travel, yes there's the near-daily commute to Uni which is catered for by PT, but otherwise PT for many of my journeys is impractical just because it is between two nodes for which there is minimal demand. Just due to the nature of PT, there are a number of trips which time and cost wise, simply aren't competitive compared to the car. Yes, they can be conducted by public transport, but unless you need to use PT, you wouldn't.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

Jonno

We keep using these extremes to claim they are the norm!  Brisbane is not in a wave for 365 days a year!! PT is currently impractical because we are putting all our money into roads!!!

longboi

Quote from: James on May 16, 2014, 14:57:35 PM
Quote from: Jonno on May 15, 2014, 22:44:03 PM
Quote from: rtt_rules on May 15, 2014, 19:38:35 PMHow much of this traffic is PT convertable?

Most surveys and research show that around 30-35% of traffic physically needs to be on the road (from local freight, light commercial, mobile trades, etc).  The vast majority is passenger trips that could and should be by foot, bike or public transport. 

There are issues with active transport, especially in a warm country like ours. You sweat. And sweat causes all kinds of not-nice things, from unpleasant odours to a general sticky feeling. The reason why I bus to Uni, when I could easily cycle/walk, is partly because of the time it takes, and partly because of the fact that I arrive at my destination sweating. It isn't pleasant.

AT is a very nice option in Europe (especially northern Europe) where anything above 20 C (our average July maximum) is a 'heatwave' and people sunbake at 14 degrees. People don't sweat, and everybody generally lives closer together. By relative comparison, even on a warm winter's day you can get sweaty and people in Australia live a lot further apart (i.e. average distance to travel is longer, and hence, more exertion). In other words, beyond 1km, for a lot of people walking and cycling becomes impractical.

This leaves PT. Thanks to anti-PT developments and general anti-PT sentiment in the community (unreliability) combined with low density (making frequent PT expensive to run) essentially degrade PT to a peak-only type thing.

Overall, I think 1 in 2 journeys made by people can be done by cars and cars only (in a reasonable fashion). If I look at my own travel, yes there's the near-daily commute to Uni which is catered for by PT, but otherwise PT for many of my journeys is impractical just because it is between two nodes for which there is minimal demand. Just due to the nature of PT, there are a number of trips which time and cost wise, simply aren't competitive compared to the car. Yes, they can be conducted by public transport, but unless you need to use PT, you wouldn't.

You just need some good lime green, skin-tight lycra :p

Having said that, I now find myself in the situation where walking is actually competitive with PT. I live in New Farm and work in the Valley so essentially it takes me the same time to walk to work as it would waiting/bus/walking.

However, as you said...not many people make decisions on where they live based around amenity. It's usually price, followed by space and trivial things like backyards/pools and all that sort of stuff.

ozbob

ozbob

Have your say on motorcycle road rule changes

Easing congestion on our roads and making it easier for motorcyclists to ride are the main purposes behind a new discussion paper for Queenslanders to have their say on.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said including lane filtering in the road rules was one of the proposed changes in the Motorcycle discussion paper, which delivered on the Government's election promise to revitalise frontline services.

"We want to ensure our legislation reflects the reality of how motorcycle riders actually use our road," Mr Emerson said.

"Labor was happy to bring in motorcycle legislation that was unclear and did not reflect reality, but this discussion paper shows that we have a strong plan for a brighter future.

"Lane filtering is when riders move at low speeds between vehicles that are stopped or moving slowly and is already practiced by some motorcycle riders.

"While it is not banned in Queensland, the rules around lane filtering are not clear.

"Currently if a rider lane filters they could be breaking a number of road rules such as not staying within a marked lane or changing lanes without signalling.

"If lane filtering is introduced, as it will be soon in NSW, it could ease traffic congestion and make the rules clearer for all road users.

"As well as delivering on our promise to revitalise front line services it will also reduce unnecessary red tape."

Mr Emerson said how a rider sits on a bike and proposed changes to helmet standards is also part of the discussion paper.

"Currently the legislation dictates where riders must have their hands and feet and how they must sit," he said.

"While the intention of the rule was to prevent reckless and dangerous behaviour it doesn't take into account the everyday practicalities of riding a motorcycle.

"By broadening the rules it will mean a rider can remove their feet to reverse park or take their hands off the handle to adjust their visor and not be in breach of the law.

"Under the proposed changes any helmet approved under international standards that meets the same protection as Australian standards will be allowed."

All road users are encouraged to have their say on these changes by filling out the online survey at www.getinvolved.qld.gov.au

[ENDS] 22 May 2014

ozbob

ozbob

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2014/6/8/joint-media-statement-brisbanes-busiest-intersection-now-complete

JOINT MEDIA STATEMENT: Brisbane's busiest intersection now complete

Over 90,000 vehicles every weekday are now benefitting from the completed Mains Road and Kessels Road Intersection Upgrade.

Acting Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development Warren Truss was joined by Queensland Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson and Member for Sunnybank Mark Stewart at the intersection today to celebrate the completion of the project.

Mr Truss said the Australian Government funded the $280 million upgrade to improve safety and efficiency for this vital section of Brisbane's Urban Corridor.

The upgrade included construction of a four lane underpass for Kessels Road traffic, with a bridge for Mains Road above including six lanes for through traffic and additional bus and turning lanes.

"The project allows the approximately 50,000 vehicles using Kessels Road each day to flow underneath the intersection without stopping, improving safety and reducing congestion on the corridor that connects the busy Ipswich, Pacific and Gateway motorways," Mr Truss said.

"Construction of the project has been impressive, with the underpass having excavated 50,000 cubic metres of earth. To put that in perspective, it would be more than enough to fill 20 Olympic-sized swimming pools."

Mr Emerson said the upgrade was completed on time and on budget, which was important to minimise the disruptions on commuters and businesses trading in the area.

"The final, major change to traffic occurred earlier this week with the bus lanes on Mains Road opening - one of many improvements to our bus network as part of the project," Mr Emerson said.

"The State Government put $750,000 towards the upgrade of the Mains Road Park 'n' Ride which included improved seating areas for passengers waiting for buses, establishing a passenger set down area and increasing the number of disabled parking spaces."

Mr Stewart thanked local residents for their patience throughout the course of the project.

"I know that a number of residents around Robertson have been inconvenienced by the project but it is certainly pleasing that they will now benefit from upgraded road infrastructure and improved traffic mobility in their area," Mr Stewart said.

"I also thank the project team for their willingness to engage with the community, including teaming up with MacGregor State High School students to develop a local design for the underpass walls."

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> Queensland Opposition Leader attacks tollway revenue bleed

QuoteQueensland's Opposition Leader has attacked the Newman government for failing to stem a revenue bleed of up to $230 million annually caused by its failure to chase toll evaders on state-controlled roads.

The government admitted this week it had been aware of systemic inefficiencies within the Department of Transport and Main Roads tolling unit that resulted in 95 per cent of toll evaders on Airport Link, Gateway Motorway and Logan Motorway escaping prosecution.

An internal review to address the problem has been undertaken but Transport Minister Scott Emerson, through a spokesperson, would not reveal on Friday what the recommendations were.

The minister's department also declined Fairfax Media's request to see the Toll Road Customer Service Improvement Plan.

Labor leader Annastacia Palaszczuk said addressing processes that resulted in the substantial loss of fine revenue would seem an urgent measure for a government that regularly cried poor ...

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/queensland-opposition-leader-attacks-tollway-revenue-bleed-20140614-zs848.html

And the Minister claims they cannot afford to extend concession PT to the unemployed ...  what a sad sad lot!

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

First speed limit review results

Queensland families will benefit from safer roads and more consistent speed limits as part of the first wave of results from the state-wide speed limit review announced late last year.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said the review forms part of our strong plan to drive down the road toll through the $350 million Road Safety Action Plan and create a brighter, safer future on Queensland roads.

"Whether you are dropping kids to school, travelling on holidays or driving home from work, it is frustrating and unsafe when the speed limit constantly changes up and down on one stretch of road," Mr Emerson said.

"These changes will improve safety and ensure better consistency of speed limits across Queensland roads.

"They also deliver on our election promises to provide better infrastructure and planning and revitalise frontline services.

"Out of the 100 roads shortlisted from community feedback, results from the first 20 roads reveal 11 roads will remain the same speed limit, six will increase and three will decrease.

After more than 3300 submissions, some changes include:

Increasing the speed limit on sections of Williamson Road and Greensward Road in Tamborine from 60km/h to 70km/h.
    Reducing the 80km/h zone on Olsen Avenue between Smith Street and Southport-Nerang Road to 70km/h, creating one speed zone through this entire section.
    Reducing the Scenic Highway between Yeppoon and Emu Park Road to 60km/h, ensuring a safer drive on this hilly terrain.

"The community feedback revealed there were also too many changes to speed zones on the D'Aguilar Highway between Moore and Benarkin, so speed zones will be reduced from five to three on this stretch."

Mr Emerson said that following advice from the safety experts, speed limits on a number of roads will remain the same.

"There will be no changes to speed limits on the Bruce Highway from Glenlee to the Caves, Leichhardt Highway from Gore Highway to Moonie and Samford Road from England Road to Main Street," he said.

"Each road has been reviewed by engineers and police, in line with Queensland's speed limit guidelines, with consideration given to traffic, pedestrians and surrounding infrastructure.

"Unlike Labor, we have a plan to improve the safety of our roads and, through our $350 million Road Safety Action Plan and with the help of police, our road toll is at a record low."

Mr Emerson reminded motorists that existing speed limits apply until signs have changed.

The results for the remaining 80 roads will be released over the coming months.

For more information visit www.tmr.qld.gov.au/speedlimitreview.

[ENDS] 20 June 2014                                                       

Jonno

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2014/7/2/toowoomba-ring-road-on-schedule-to-open-this-year

Media Statements
Deputy Premier, Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning
The Honourable Jeff Seeney
Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Toowoomba ring road on schedule to open this year

Tens of thousands of motorists will have shorter travel times through Toowoomba by the end of this year with the city's $45 million ring road now 30 per cent complete.

Funded by the Queensland Government's Royalties for the Regions program, the vital road will provide better access between the north and south sides of the city as well as greater flood resilience for the town centre.

Deputy Premier and Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning Jeff Seeney inspected construction of the road today, together with Member for Toowoomba North Trevor Watts and Mayor Paul Antonio of Toowoomba Regional Council.

"Delivering this key road and missing link in Toowoomba's Outer Circulating Road system is a key achievement of the Newman Government," Mr Seeney said.

"We promised to provide better infrastructure and better planning and this road will deliver just that to the Toowoomba community.

"It's great to see the Victoria Street extension and construction of a new four-lane road connecting Victoria and Russell Streets with Chalk Drive and Ruthven Street is now 30 per cent complete and on track to be open to motorists and pedestrians by the end of this year.

"This $45 million investment comes on the back of $321.25 million we have committed for the Toowoomba Second Range Crossing and $10 million to duplicate O'Mara Road – illustrating our strong plan to support Toowoomba now and into the future."

Mr Watts said completing Toowoomba's Outer Circulating Road system would deliver huge time-savings to residents and reduce traffic congestion in the CBD.

"Toowoomba motorists are eagerly await the opening of this road as it will dramatically save people time when accessing and bypassing the CBD," he said.

"Importantly, it will mean there are fewer cars travelling through the CBD, which will open up parking spaces for more shoppers and tourists."

Mayor Antonio said the project was one of the most complex construction projects undertaken in the Toowoomba region.

"There are also major environmental and hydraulic conditions to overcome," he said.

"Geotechnical studies show that the ground is the consistency of toothpaste in some locations while in other areas the ground is so hard we've had to bring in a nine-tonne piling rig to install the sheet piling."

Mayor Antonio said the Russell Street drainage structure was now taking shape with two of the headstocks completed on the western side of West Creek.

"The support of the local community, particularly businesses in the Russell Street precinct, has been paramount in this project," he said.

"Council has been working closely with local businesses to minimise the impacts during construction and I thank the community for their patience.

"We're confident the long-term benefit of the project will far out-weigh any short-term inconvenience and we're so grateful to the State government for their confidence in our region."

[ENDS] 2 July 2014

ozbob

Stillwater

Half-heard on the television news tonight -- State Government to release the 'Queensland Plan' in Hervey Bay (of all places) on Thursday.  Does anyone have any further intelligence?

Ahh, just spotted on the Queensland Plan page......

Premier Campbell Newman will unveil The Queensland Plan on Thursday 31 July 2014 at the LGAQ Regional and Economic Development Conference ( http://www.lgaq.asn.au/web/guest/regional-and-economic-development-conference ) in Hervey Bay.

http://queenslandplan.qld.gov.au/

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Queensland speed limit review results released

Queensland motorists will travel more quickly and more safely on a number of the state's major highways following the second round of a state-wide speed limit review.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said some stretches of highway would see an increase to 110 km per hour.

"Highway changes will affect sections of the Leichhardt, Carnarvon and Warrego Highways, where the limit will go up from 100 km per hour to 110 km per hour," Mr Emerson said.

"Four speed zones on sections of the Peak Downs Highway from Te Kowai to Walkerston will be reduced to 90 km per hour."

Out of the 42 sections of road reviewed in the second round, 13 will see changes.

Six speed limits will be increased and three decreased. Four other roads will see the number and frequency of speed limit changes reduced to minimise confusion for drivers.

"This review is yet another way the LNP Government is listening to Queenslanders' concerns and making our state the safest place to work, live and raise a family," Mr Emerson said.

"Boosting consistency of speed on Queensland roads is part of our two-year, $350 million Road Safety Action Plan to drive down the road toll.

"Queenslanders should be congratulated on maintaining a record low road toll, with 39 fewer deaths than this time last year."

One hundred roads and speed limits were shortlisted for review after the State Government received 3300 submissions from the public.

Results are based on public input, crash data, local knowledge and recent upgrades.

Mr Emerson reminded motorists not to jump the gun on the impending speed limit changes.

"Changes to road signs will happen progressively and are expected to be completed by late August," he said.

"Engineers are now carefully assessing the final 38 review results."

All reviews have been conducted by engineers in line with Queensland speed limit setting guidelines and are endorsed by local Speed Management Committees.

Results from the remaining speed limit reviews will be published on the Transport and Main Roads website as they become available: www.tmr.qld.gov.au/speedlimitreview.

[ENDS] 7 August 2014

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

JOINT STATEMENT

Premier
The Honourable Campbell Newman

Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Bruce is being spruced

A new campaign will ask Queensland drivers to show patience as the Queensland Government rolls out a record number of roadworks aimed at making travel safer on the Bruce Highway.

Premier Campbell Newman and Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson launched the Spruce the Bruce campaign to highlight the almost 200 projects currently underway or due to start in the coming months on this vital arterial highway.

"The Bruce Highway is a 1700km lifeline for this state and if we want families and all drivers to be able to travel safely on it, we are going to need a record roadworks program," Mr Newman said.

"I'm asking all Queenslanders - whether you are driving children to school, visiting as a tourist or hauling food and freight - to show some patience with the delays while we get on with this crucial program.

"Spruce the Bruce will not only keep motorists informed of works being undertaken as part of our landmark $8.5 billion, 10-year deal with the Federal Government, it engages them in the project while on their journey."

The campaign includes a social media competition, where Queenslanders can share a photo – old or new – of their favourite tourist spot along the Bruce Highway and upload it to Facebook for the chance to win their very own It's Great To Be A Queenslander personalised plate.

Other measures also include Spruce the Bruce travel kits and online activities for kids.

Mr Emerson said the campaign reinforced the works included in the Bruce Highway Action Plan – Out of a Crisis which was promised at the 2012 election.

"Last year's landmark deal with the Federal Government was crucial as it ensured a return to the traditional 80-20 Federal-State funding split, but now the real work is beginning – with projects from Boundary St at Narangba, right along the highway to Cairns," Mr Emerson said.

"Anyone driving the 21 hours from Brisbane to Cairns should expect to be delayed by up to three hours by roadworks while we Spruce the Bruce and we ask motorists to be patient.

"Without these works and adequate funding, the RACQ predict between 300 and 400 people will die in crashes on the Bruce Highway over the next 10 years.

"It is important while these works are underway that motorists understand while they might be waiting longer now, but they will soon benefit from a Bruce Highway that is safer, has more capacity and is flood resilient."

The Federal Coalition Government is contributing 80 per cent, or $6.7 billion, towards upgrades along the length of the Bruce Highway.

[ENDS] 17 August 2014

🡱 🡳