• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Roads - articles and discussion

Started by ozbob, November 02, 2010, 03:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

^ another morning of chaos and congestion on the road network.  Lets make public transport even more unattractive, cut span and frequency and increase fares ...  that will work well!   :o :fp:
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

Jonno

Quote from: ozbob on December 09, 2013, 08:12:59 AM
^ another morning of chaos and congestion on the road network.  Lets make public transport even more unattractive, cut span and frequency and increase fares ...  that will work well!   :o :fp:

And the private schools have all finished for the year!  The school holiday peak hr congestion reduction is dissappearing.  Too many trips force to be by motor vehicle!!

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> Queensland confirms $5 billion toll road auction

Quote... Mr Frawley said any potential change in ownership would have no effect on existing tolls for the Gateway and Logan Motorways beyond the normal annual CPI increases ...

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/queensland-confirms-5-billion-toll-road-auction-20131213-2zcg7.html

ozbob

ozbob

Couriermail --> Story Bridge to close for roadworks on first weekend of 2014

QuoteONE of Brisbane's most famous landmarks will be taking it easy over the first days of the New Year, with the Story Bridge to close during the first weekend of 2014 for road works.

Between midnight January 3 and 5am January 6, all six lanes of the bridge will close to traffic to allow "essential resurfacing works" to be undertaken.

But council has warned that the following two weekends - January 10-13 and January 17-20 - may also be needed for works, should poor weather or unforeseen circumstances impede progress.

"These works are required as the current surface of the Story Bridge is approaching the end of its useful life, and the need for ad-hoc repairs will become increasingly disruptive to traffic," an online council advisory reads ...

ozbob

bcasey

Saw this on ACA last night

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article/8787201/speed-limits-liberal-democratisation

The senator elect's comment that setting the speed limits is not an engineering question, but a moral ethical question is both stupid and very ignorant of the science and engineering that goes into deciding the appropriate speed limits for different roads.

Although, this probably won't be an issue in a couple decades anyway, once self-driving cards become the norm.

Derwan

Quote from: bcasey on January 22, 2014, 10:18:14 AM
The senator elect's comment that setting the speed limits is not an engineering question, but a moral ethical question is both stupid and very ignorant of the science and engineering that goes into deciding the appropriate speed limits for different roads.

I haven't watched the video - but will throw in a comment.  Yes - speed limits should be an engineering question.  Whether people STICK to the speed limit is a moral/ethical (and legal) question.

One of my pet hates is when local residents call for speed limits to be reduced because of people speeding in their street.   :fp:
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

red dragin

And then reverse out of their driveway and then speed away! :fp:

hU0N

Quote from: ozbob on January 05, 2014, 11:50:29 AM
Road planning needs a new systems approach

--> http://bjfeeney.wordpress.com/road-planning-needs-a-new-systems-approach/

Very interesting read - thanks for posting.

I think it goes without saying that the same considerations are essential for all modes of transport planning.  It never ceases to surprise me how much discussion about transit is framed in terms of "how big is the existing demand for transit?" and "how can the government improve the transit access for people living in such-and-such a suburb?"  It surprises me, because the feedback effects of transit on land value and land use have been well understood for a long time and are very much discussed (albeit as a separate issue).

It seems well understood that heavy transit infrastructure (like railways and busways) pushes up property values and leads to urban renewal and densification, but the obvious corollary is that lack of access to heavy transit infrastructure drives property prices and urban density down.  And this kind of cheap spacious land IS attractive to some people, in it's own way.  The problem here is, we can look at places like Pullenvale and Samford and Greenbank, and we can figure ways to give these people access to the transit that they so richly deserve, without realising that they live in places like this precisely to avoid the second order feedback effects that transit access creates.  You could chase these people with transit until the end of time and they'd probably keep moving further and further away.

Thanks for the post again.  It's worth thinking about every now and then.

aldonius

Those places still should have a skeleton service outside of peak though...

hU0N

Quote from: aldonius on January 22, 2014, 13:13:42 PM
Those places still should have a skeleton service outside of peak though...

I've been thinking about this all afternoon, and I actually think I might disagree.

Without saying anything about Pullenvale, Samford and Greenbank in particular (I don't live there, so I'm not going to force my ideas on anyone that does), I think it's ok for certain areas to not have access to the full range of public utilities and services, so long as the people living there are happy with the arrangement.  (It's not just transit.  Most of Pullenvale has no access to the council sewer network either).

Social coverage is a different thing entirely.  But given that there are people who like where they live (at least indirectly) BECAUSE it is remote and not as well connected, then improving the connectivity of the places where these people live might actually reduce their amenity, and might even encourage them to set up somewhere else.  Chasing them with services they don't really want, and probably will only sparingly use seems to be a waste of resources.

The more I think about it, the more I think that our utility and service networks are always going to have coverage holes, and I think I'm OK with that.

aldonius

I'll admit, my argument is primarily motivated from the many many posts I've seen on FB by my teenage peers stuck at home, and wishing otherwise...

ozbob

James

Quote from: aldonius on January 22, 2014, 23:15:53 PM
I'll admit, my argument is primarily motivated from the many many posts I've seen on FB by my teenage peers stuck at home, and wishing otherwise...

Most of my teenage peers now have their license and drive everywhere. I am the only one who doesn't drive. Out of the people I generally associate with, almost all of them live in PT black holes - Centenary, Yeronga and Brookfield. I am one of only three living near frequent PT (others being beside the 444/Main western line).

hU0N - I wouldn't totally agree with you on the Samford and Greenbank sentiment. Some people choose to live out there partially because it was the only thing they could afford, or personal/family reasons - and in the case of Samford, the 399 deserves to operate outside peak (the demand is there, I believe). I am happy with PT black holes in semi-rural areas, but some places do deserve service - this needs to be assessed on a case-by-case basis. PPT could be an alternative in these areas, like what operates in Karana Downs (but in the off-peak too).
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on January 31, 2014, 07:22:48 AM
Quote from: ozbob on January 31, 2014, 06:38:00 AM
Toowoomba Chronicle --> No private money: Abbott, Newman partner in bypass deal

^ strong rumour will be a toll road ...

Twitter

ABC Radio Brisbane ‏@612brisbane

Do you want the good news or the bad news? Good news - 2nd range crossing for Toowoomba but it's going to be a toll road. More detail next

ozbob

Treasurer on 612 ABC Brisbane has just confirmed will be a toll road .. State and Federal money plus tolls to cover operation not construction.

Jonno

This country is officially broke! We can't afford to maintain what is already here nor build anything new!

ozbob

Deputy Premier, Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning
The Honourable Jeff Seeney

Start for Toowoomba Second Range crossing project

One of Queensland's highest priority road infrastructure projects has been secured for the state, with the federal and Queensland governments announcing they will deliver the vital Toowoomba Second Range Crossing (TSRC).

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development Warren Truss today called for the private sector to register interest in building the Toowoomba Second Range Crossing Project.

He was joined by Queensland Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney and Federal Minister for Industry and Member for Groom Ian Macfarlane to call for the Registration of Interest.

"The Registration of Interest is supported by financial commitments to the project by the Australian and Queensland Governments," Mr Truss said.

"It sets out the broad scope of works and objectives and invites the private sector to advise of potential interest in being involved.

"The registration process will move to a formal Expression of Interest stage over the next couple of months. A successful contractor will be named later this year, with construction expected to begin by mid-2015.

"The successful proponent will be responsible for the design, construction, financing of the new bypass, as well as for the operations and maintenance, including the collection of toll money.

"This is yet another example of the federal and Queensland governments working together to bring the infrastructure needed in the 21st century to fruition. It comes on the back of our almost $10 billion partnership to get the Bruce Highway and Gateway North project up to speed."

Mr Seeney said the TSRC would help drive Queensland's economic growth by creating jobs and providing a gateway to the state's resource-rich Surat Basin and the agricultural food bowls of the Darling Downs.

"The TSRC is one of our Government's top three infrastructure priorities, and the Newman Government has worked tirelessly to secure the Commonwealth funding needed to make this project a reality," he said.

"It provides the missing link between the Surat Basin, where an estimated $30 billion worth of mining and development projects are now planned or underway, to international gateways and the labour and services supply market in South-East Queensland.

"Additionally, up to 30-40 minutes will be shaved off the total travel time across the range for heavy and super heavy commercial vehicles, with drivers able to avoid up to 16 sets of traffic lights."

Mr Macfarlane said this significant step towards construction of the Bypass would be welcome news for the people of Toowoomba and the Darling Downs.

"The Coalition understands the importance of regional infrastructure and this project is particularly important, given it will be a vital part of the national freight corridor," Mr Macfarlane said.

"The Coalition Government is committed to building the Toowoomba Bypass."

[ENDS] 31 January 2014

NB: A fly-over video link of the site, image library and fact sheets are available at www.qld.gov.au/tsrc

ozbob

Treasurer and Minister for Trade
The Honourable Tim Nicholls

Toowoomba Second Range Crossing underway

The Newman Government is wasting no time getting on with the job of delivering the Toowoomba Second Range Crossing, with the Register of Interest now open, Treasurer Tim Nicholls said today.

Mr Nicholls said the joint Commonwealth and Queensland Government funding commitment meant the $1.7 billion, 41 kilometre road project would be shovel-ready in 2015, driving Queensland's economic growth by creating jobs and providing a gateway to the state's resource-rich Surat Basin.

"We're already getting on with the big job ahead, with Projects Queensland to start a procurement process from today, with an Expressions of Interest process to follow," Mr Nicholls said.

"The Toowoomba Second Range Crossing is one of our Government's top three infrastructure priorities along with the Bruce Highway and the Cross River Rail, and we welcome the $1.3 billion in Commonwealth funding needed to make this project a reality.

Mr Nicholls said more than 1,800 new jobs would be created during the Toowoomba Second Range Crossing project, with the $1.3 billion Commonwealth commitment representing the single largest regional road infrastructure investment in Queensland's history.

"The importance of this project for Queensland's economy cannot be overstated," he said.

"Modelling shows over the next 30 years, the Toowoomba Second Range Crossing will help bring about a $2.4 billion increase in productivity in the Toowoomba region alone, boosting national productivity by $3.1 billion."

Construction on the Toowoomba Second Range Crossing project is expected to begin by early 2015 and completed in mid-2018.

The Registration of Interest document is available on the Projects Queensland website (link at www.qld.gov.au/tsrc), and registrations close 7 March 2014.

[ENDS] 31 January 2014

ozbob

ozbob

SteelPan

This project is way overdue and the toll is a real saving to both the truckies and the public purse.  :-t

Needless to say, we'll likely not show the vision to include a new rail corridor capacity in the new tunnel for future use.  (we did, I believe, in the Coolangatta tunnel, so there' a very slim hope I guess.]

SEQ, where our only "fast-track" is in becoming the rail embarrassment of Australia!   :frs:

ozbob

Twitter

Penny Dahl (Cameron) ‏@Pennycopter 10m

Wet weather woes...Bruce Hwy already a nightmare run southbound from Boundary Rd, Narangba #bnetraffic http://t.co/oMejr23Avk

Jonno

ozbob

Four Corners --> This Trucking Life

QuoteMonday 3 February 2013

Long haul trucking is a tough way to make a living. It's also an industry that takes far too many lives. The latest figures show that in just one year 242 people were killed in truck-related crashes and hundreds more were injured. Many of those accidents could have been avoided.

Next on Four Corners reporter Stephen Long goes on the road with drivers who risk their lives every day, trying to meet impossible deadlines. What he finds is a deadly intersection of corporate greed, government inaction and an industry feeding on itself.

Over the past few years a series of horrific truck crashes have renewed questions about the state of the road transport industry. Are drivers being paid a fair wage? Are big companies forcing down freight rates unreasonably to improve their bottom line? And are trucking companies and owner-drivers responding to the pressure by cutting corners on maintenance to keep their businesses alive?

What Four Corners discovered talking to those inside the industry will chill anyone using our highways. Drivers confess to consistent and significant drug abuse. Another reveals how his company was switching drivers to avoid police and Transport Department checks ...

ozbob

Twitter

Katherine Feeney ‏@katherinefeeney

@Team_Quirk @TeresaGambaroMP say Kingsford Smith Drive upgrade due for completion by 2018/19 FY @9NewsBrisbane
http://t.co/5YGWU7NFka

ozbob

ozbob

Couriermail --> $650m for upgrade of Kingsford Smith Drive but work won't begin for a year 

Apparently widening to include road lanes over the river etc.  Just don't learn do they?  Another monstrosity in the making ..  let alone flood issues.  But it will be flood proof, I hear the exclaim, sure dudes, sure ...

#Metro

Artist impression looks nice and I think the tunnel is NOT going ahead?
We have had the upgrade of Doomben line services which is very good, not too hard to extend to Portside in the future.

This is an arterial and if the third lane were to be peak hour PT T2 lane that would be good. Given all the taxis going to BNE airport and so forth, T2 lane might not be such a bad idea.

Hope that the intersection with Racecourse rd allows right turn from KSD, that will allow buses to be more flexible in their routing in that area.

So, I'm not really that opposed to this idea.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

HappyTrainGuy

Even includes buses traveling in convoys :P

ozbob

Twitter

Penny Dahl (Cameron) ‏@Pennycopter

Spaghetti Junction, Bowen Hills. Which way are you going? #bnetraffic http://t.co/FVtR1lSYf6

ozbob

Twitter

Penny Dahl (Cameron) ‏@Pennycopter

M1 lemmings shuffling along through Slacks Creek #soslow http://t.co/QKWJ6wsJVr

James

Quote from: ozbob on February 04, 2014, 18:00:16 PM
Couriermail --> $650m for upgrade of Kingsford Smith Drive but work won't begin for a year 

Apparently widening to include road lanes over the river etc.  Just don't learn do they?  Another monstrosity in the making ..  let alone flood issues.  But it will be flood proof, I hear the exclaim, sure dudes, sure ...

Goodness. There is a reason why KSD is still congested. It is because people are continuing to use Kingsford Smith Drive to go to and from the Airport/Gateway Motorway from City (and beyond), when there are tolled options available to serve the same purpose. I see no reason why the upgrade should occur. If people wish to sit in congestion instead of paying a toll which costs as much as a cup of coffee, so be it.

I am strongly opposed to it. If all these people using KSD to get to the airport used Airport Link, we would not have congestion issues on Kingsford Smith Drive.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

red dragin

Agreed!

We use KSD out of peak and Airport Link during peak or when towing camper or boat.

Jonno

Only upgrade I support is to add segregated bike & bus lanes plus creation of vibrant public spaces and shaded pedestrian areas!

Jonno

This design is offensive, dangerous and a waste if my hard earned taxes/rates

HappyTrainGuy

Southern Cross Way or whatever they renamed it isn't always the best thing to use especially during peak hour with that single lane merge. A lot of the time you'd be better off staying on Sandgate road and merging at the Boondall/Deagon entrance. Catch a 306/310/315 during so you are traveling along Sandgate Road at 4.10pm (tends to be the sweet spot) just to see why traffic floods onto the Gateway. Then head over to the Gateway and see what's going on there. There's a reason why cyclists and pedestrians for a matter are faster than cars during afternoon traffic along Sandgate Road and the Gateway from Toombul to Boondall/Deagon.

🡱 🡳