• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Cultural change and Citytrain

Started by johnnigh, October 29, 2010, 08:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnigh

Some discussion at our Public Forum back in September focussed on the lack of female Citytrain crew. Paul Scurrah told us about the difficulties they had in recruiting and retaining women crew, mainly due to the boofy-boy culture pervading train-crew.

This contrasts with the situation in the northern regions where, I'm told by a former tradesman involved in electrical overhead construction west of Rockhampton, female crew are common. We know that women are favoured in many big-machine operations like mines because they tend to be more careful operators of all types of big gear from draglines and trucks to locos.

Why are Citytrain crew not in well maintained uniforms, as are bus drivers? Most of the guards look as though they threw on the scruffiest kit they could find. Many look and speak as though they really don't care for their job. On-board announcements vary from weird dialect to occasionally reasonably well-spoken and articulate. Crew training is clearly not yet focussed sufficiently on 'customer satisfaction'.

Which brings me to potential reasons for slow roll-out of timetable change. Enterprise bargaining must include a host of conditions that limit flexibility. The conservative attitudes of crew must be reflected in the agreements they have with QR that protect working conditions. Wholesale timetable renovation will impact on these conditions in many ways. The physical possibility of 15 minute service on many other routes than the few current ones does not mean that such an increase of frequency will necessarily be simple in terms of train crew and other line operation employees' EB agreements.

It may take many years to wear away these blockages to progress. The alternative might be massive industrial unrest and disruptions. Of course, a change of Govt might see just such a situation as 'union bashing' take over from the softly-softly approach to change that seems to be current.

So, who votes for massive change and the resistance that it will encounter?

Derwan

Quote from: johnnigh on October 29, 2010, 08:13:37 AM
Some discussion at our Public Forum back in September focussed on the lack of female Citytrain crew. Paul Scurrah told us about the difficulties they had in recruiting and retaining women crew, mainly due to the boofy-boy culture pervading train-crew.

I'm starting to hear more and more women guards doing the announcing.  Perhaps they should change the automated announcements to a woman's voice?  It could assist with the cultural change!

Why are Citytrain crew not in well maintained uniforms, as are bus drivers? Most of the guards look as though they threw on the scruffiest kit they could find.

I think it's time to get rid of the old blue+dark blue combination and get a modern uniform.  They need some QR red in there somewhere - perhaps something similar to those customer service people we see floating around trains and stations.

Many look and speak as though they really don't care for their job. On-board announcements vary from weird dialect to occasionally reasonably well-spoken and articulate. Crew training is clearly not yet focussed sufficiently on 'customer satisfaction'.

I think you'll find that training is now very clearly focussed on customer service.  I think there are still too many "old school" guards.  Unfortunately you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  I commend QR for the changes so far though.  They are certainly making progress.

Which brings me to potential reasons for slow roll-out of timetable change. Enterprise bargaining must include a host of conditions that limit flexibility.

We saw this not too long ago with the proposed changes for Sunday.  QR wanted to make the penalties the same as Saturday so they could increase the frequency on Sunday.  It almost resulted in strike action.

There will always be obstacles in the way of change.  The important thing is to never lose sight of the goal.  I think QR is doing extremely well given the constraints and obstacles they face.  It's time for the QLD Government to come to the party and provide the funding for the additional services NOW.  This is the biggest obstacle for QR.
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

johnnigh

Yes, I saw a female guard on an outbound at Fortitude Valley last evening, about 21.30. So there are a few, a very few thus far. And as Paul S. told us, they are trying to recruit them, but even (or especially) women in other jobs with QR are reluctant to train as crew. That tells us something!

Stillwater

I would just like to see announcements in plain english. 'passengers should de-train here' always has me bemused.  'This train terminates here' is good.  I see value in announcing that the platform is on the right-hand or left-hand side, but the addition of the words 'in the direction of travel' is next to useless.  The words 'passengers' and 'customers' seem interchangeable.  'Passengers' conveys the impression that we are a nuisance to the operation of the trains, whereas 'customers' reinforces in the QR staff minds that they are there to serve people who buy a service.  I think that Virgin Airlines uses the term 'customers'.  'Client' sounds a bit too formal, bus customers strikes the right note.

longboi

I know I wouldn't have worked in traincrew if I was a woman  :P

Having said that it is starting to change and slowly more 'girly-girl' females are becoming guards. Anyway, all the old farts will be moving on within the next 10 years so I think the culture change is imminent.

johnnigh

Yes, we're looking forward to the current generation of 'old farts' retiring. But a new generation will follow in their footsteps, as the new recruits are initiated into the arcane rituals and rites of passage, many of which survive from the steam era when crew were rough & tough working in a hard and dangerous workplace. They'll also be taught the lurks and perks available to those willing to work the rules. Lets face it, the present 'old farts' never worked in steam, which disappeared when they were boys, but they carry the scars of that period. Management will have to work hard to instill the values that Paul S. espouses and that we all applaud.

Has anyone seen Minister Nolan processing to some meeting or announcement, accompanied by her CEO and a bunch of 'real' train men? It looks like she and the CEO are being shadowed by very menacing minders! The old culture lives, even if only in a distant 'race memory' of those QR managers who espouse the new values.

O_128

Can the automated announcement be changed to a woman the Perth voice is much more refreshing, also the guards arent as bad as the Sydney ones some are totally illegible
"Where else but Queensland?"

p858snake

Quote from: Stillwater on October 29, 2010, 10:23:08 AM

I would just like to see announcements in plain english. 'passengers should de-train here' always has me bemused.  'This train terminates here' is good.  I see value in announcing that the platform is on the right-hand or left-hand side, but the addition of the words 'in the direction of travel' is next to useless.  The words 'passengers' and 'customers' seem interchangeable.  'Passengers' conveys the impression that we are a nuisance to the operation of the trains, whereas 'customers' reinforces in the QR staff minds that they are there to serve people who buy a service.  I think that Virgin Airlines uses the term 'customers'.  'Client' sounds a bit too formal, bus customers strikes the right note.
"Patrons, Please be advised this service is now terminating at Central, There is a replacement caboolture service directly behind this service."

BribieG

At least we don't have to put up any more with "The next station is Brunswick Street, passengers going to the Valley Bingo Hall this is your station. The markets are currently trading in the Brunswick Street Mall" - they kept that one going for about 4 years after the Bingo Hall closed down and no the markets were NOT trading Monday to Friday despite the recorded message  :D

colinw

My pet hate is at Park Road, when you hear "Passengers for the Cleveland Line, please change trains here" just as the Cleveland train shoots through, leaving you with a 29 minute wait!

Still, we've got it better than Sydneysiders.  The last train I caught in Sydney had announcements that went something like "mumble, mumble, mumble, Hornsby, mumble, inaudible, something .... static ... click!".

Golliwog

I think something that could be added though is a mention of the busway network. When you go through Park Rd theres no mention of the fact that the Eastern busway with connections to UQ is right there.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Emmie

Agree with Golliwog. There should be mention of all bus/train interchanges, at Roma St and Southbank, too.

On the masculine culture. Perhaps we need to consider just WHY women don't want to work on the trains, whereas you see more and more driving buses. And I'm sorry, but despite everything that various people on this list keep saying about the safety of rail, I'm sure it comes down to the fact that women do NOT feel safe leaving railway stations after dark.  It is true for passengers, and must be equally true for female workers, especially as they will have to accept all night rosters.

johnnigh

Good news! I travelled on a Citytrain yesterday with a lady guard, much more civilised than 'normal'! My wife had the same good experience a couple of days ago, so the good ole boys haven't frightened off all the female crew who have completed training over the past years. :-t

By the way, I think Paul Scurrah would do well to chat with Paul Hitchcock from Corporate Express Australia, who has just been awarded 'Leading CEO for the Advancement of Women' in the Federal Government's Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Agency awards. See http://www.abc.net.au/rn/lifematters/stories/2010/3062694.htm. Of course, he may already have done so as we know he is keen to see Queensland Rail 'moving forward' to the 21st Century. I believe that more women in leadership, as well as amongst train crew, in Q'land Rail would see an enormous improvement in performance all around.  :wi3

mufreight

To be fair since taking the controls Mr Scurrah has employed more women and those with expertise and motivation rapidly climb the responsibility ladder into more senior positions, the unfortunate problem is that railways have had a bloke culture for 150 years and change takes time anyway anywhere.
Credit where credit is due helps and there is a noticeable cultural change taking place in Queensland Rail.   :-t

p858snake

Quote from: johnnigh on November 11, 2010, 10:22:07 AMGood news! I travelled on a Citytrain yesterday with a lady guard, much more civilised than 'normal'! My wife had the same good experience a couple of days ago, so the good ole boys haven't frightened off all the female crew who have completed training over the past years. :-t
I had one as well last week, tis was a sad train ride after she departed at bowen hills, very bright and cheerful inspite of the rain, she even went as far as "well this is my stop, hope you all have a great day even if it is a bit gray etc etc etc" which most drivers don't

🡱 🡳