• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Article: Long wait for Coast rail extensions

Started by colinw, November 03, 2011, 08:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinw

The Gold Coast Bulletin -> click here

QuotePREMIER Anna Bligh will today commit to extending the light and heavy rail lines to Coolangatta, but we will have to wait 20 years before both extensions are operating.

The Gold Coast Bulletin can reveal transport infrastructure will form the centrepiece of the city's component of the Queensland Infrastructure Plan when it is released in Townsville today.

There had been speculation the State Government may ditch one of the planned extensions, but the plan will include a timeframe for both to be completed.

Light rail, which will also go to Helensvale, will be given a priority with work on the final stage to start in 2021 while extension of the heavy rail line is expected by 2031.

Ms Bligh said the increased transport infrastructure was to brace for an expected boom in population.

"It's estimated the Gold Coast population will increase by almost 275,000 people over the next two decades and we want to be ready," she said.

All projects covered in the plan have already been announced. They will include:

• Pacific Motorway upgrades, including six lanes between Nerang and Tugun from 2015.
  • Further Gold Coast University Hospital expansions from 2015.
  • Coomera Health Precinct from 2015-21.
  • Facilities for a new showground site.

For more on this story, turn to page 9 of today's Gold Coast Bulletin.

colinw

IMHO this is the correct order of priorities.  Light rail to Helensvale & down the coast first, then heavy rail extension. Not a lot of point extending the heavy rail right now, until CRR is done and the Coomera - Helensvale section is duplicated..

O_128

Wait. PRIORITY to start in 2021! helensvale needs to be built now not in 10 years. WTF is wrong with this government.
"Where else but Queensland?"

colinw

I interpret that as Helensvale is the priority, then the final stage (which is down the coast to Coolangatta) will start by 2021.

SurfRail

+1 for the order of priority

-10 for the timeframe.
Ride the G:

colinw

Hang on, I'm confused about what this article actually meant.

Specifically:

QuoteLight rail, which will also go to Helensvale, will be given a priority with work on the final stage to start in 2021 while extension of the heavy rail line is expected by 2031.

Does this mean that work on the section to Helensvale won't start until 2021, or that work on the final stage (to Coolangatta) won't start until 2021?  My understanding was that Helensvale was Stage 2, and the FINAL stage is to Coolangatta (possibly with an intermediate stage to about Burleigh?.

What is this article actually saying?

O_128

Quote from: colinw on November 03, 2011, 12:00:45 PM

Specifically:

QuoteLight rail, which will also go to Helensvale, will be given a priority with work on the final stage to start in 2021 while extension of the heavy rail line is expected by 2031.

Does this mean that work on the section to Helensvale won't start until 2021, or that work on the final stage (to Coolangatta) won't start until 2021?  My understanding was that Helensvale was Stage 2, and the FINAL stage is to Coolangatta (possibly with an intermediate stage to about Burleigh?.

Who knows.

I really hope these timeframes will change if GC gets the games.

SurfRail

Quote from: colinw on November 03, 2011, 12:00:45 PM

Specifically:

It's a Murdoch paper with a local monopoly, can't go expecting too much Colin.
Ride the G:

Jonno

Any Government or political party that thinks extending the Gold Coast line and/or Light Rail system by 2031 is "delivering a sustainable and appropriate transport system" is ignorant of the cause of traffic congestion, peak oil, the cost of road trauma/road deaths, pollution related deaths/illnesses and how inefficient car transport really is.

colinw

May as well promise a Queensland owned & operated Moon Base by 2031. Its as believable.

Stillwater

I am going to go back to the QIP, because Anna Bligh says the program is 'fully funded' for the first four years.  See what we get over the next four years.

O_128

Quote from: Stillwater on November 03, 2011, 19:13:01 PM
I am going to go back to the QIP, because Anna Bligh says the program is 'fully funded' for the first four years.  See what we get over the next four years.

this will be fun

mufreight

Quote from: O_128 on November 03, 2011, 19:40:01 PM
Quote from: Stillwater on November 03, 2011, 19:13:01 PM

this will be fun

Between now and the election more hot air perfumed with spin and some glossy brocures, after the election, well the state of the economy due to the carbon tax, floods, drought other priorities such as more overseas study tours for the members of her parliament mean that this impotent project will have to be slowed while the funds nessecary for this project are gathered from the additional 20% + fare increases (in addition to the annual 15% increases) for public transport that this government has leglislated to pay for this project.

johnnigh

And we all noticed that the QIP had nothing on rail north of Strathpine for the Sunnies...   :dntk

🡱 🡳