• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Northern Busway extension

Started by ozbob, September 22, 2010, 04:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

somebody

Quote from: Jonno on December 16, 2010, 23:12:47 PM
I believe the Auckland proposal is for the buway to drop underneath major intersections.  Surely this would cost fare less than the suburb bulldozer approach.  I also returns Gympie Rd to something resembling human scale.
This is similar to what was done for the Eastern Distributor (road) in Sydney.

Golliwog

There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

somebody

I positively hate the deviation into PCH.  Just BUZ the 325 and make the busway direct.

dwb

Quote from: ozbob on September 24, 2010, 08:29:08 AM
As I have suggested before I don't think the busways in Brisbane will be ever converted to light rail. I have suggested that a separate light rail (or equivalent) is likely in inner Brisbane, combination of roads (surface), elevation and some tunnelling (cut and cover mainly).  The Gold Coast light rail will give that a push no doubt.

It is a matter of modes best for purpose.  The business case for Petrie to Kippa-Ring (MBRL) heavy rail clearly demonstrated that heavy rail was the best solution, particularly wrt to long term operating costs and benefits.

Busways are approaching capacity in Brisbane, fact. Some modification to the modus operandi eg. larger buses with feeders is the next step, but finite.  Meanwhile there is now the recognition that heavy rail is where the real capacity gain is to be got (Connecting SEQ 2031).  Buses are buses, trains are trains, trams are trams ..  all good.

:lo :bu :tr

+1.

Ed. whoops didn't realise this part of the thread was so old!

O_128

Quote from: Simon on October 22, 2011, 17:50:25 PM
I positively hate the deviation into PCH.  Just BUZ the 325 and make the busway direct.

Same here , is there even any congestion?
"Where else but Queensland?"

SurfRail

I tend to agree.  It would be a reasonable additional capital cost to serve the PCH (journey time wouldn't be hugely different I suppose). 

Part of a political approach really - all hospitals are getting busways and people need single seat journeys from the city to everywhere, so there.
Ride the G:

AnonymouslyBad

I don't mind the PCH deviation as long as it's not a significant impact on travel time (don't imagine it would be).

Though the extra money could've been spent building more of the main corridor as separate busway instead of the hodgepodge they have now.

Golliwog

Quote from: AnonymouslyBad on October 25, 2011, 20:50:41 PM
I don't mind the PCH deviation as long as it's not a significant impact on travel time (don't imagine it would be).

Though the extra money could've been spent building more of the main corridor as separate busway instead of the hodgepodge they have now.
Same. I think it would be adding only 1 or 2 minutes if that. And with that they give a significant boost in mobility to one of the places it's most needed. Yes you could just BUZ the 325 and yes that would serve the hospital decently, but I think a busway does it much better.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Jonno

Hospital deviation ok with me as well just wish there was more tunnelling rather than wiping out houses

jouzocha

Quote from: tramtrain on December 16, 2010, 23:39:15 PM
Grade separated might be the way to go from the outset. However, I draw attention to the "untouchable sacred car lanes" policy. Has there ever been an examination of this using cost-benefit analysis??? Is it really worth the cost to keep car lanes sacred?

I'm sure the major political parties have done their own cost-benefit analysis on this issue.  The cost, it would seem, are votes of the car-driving public (who form the majority of the population).  Neither of them want to lose those votes.

Mr X

You'd have couriermail loving 4wd driving supermums complaining for sure!!
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

dwb

Quote from: jouzocha on October 26, 2011, 05:09:31 AM
Quote from: tramtrain on December 16, 2010, 23:39:15 PM
Grade separated might be the way to go from the outset. However, I draw attention to the "untouchable sacred car lanes" policy. Has there ever been an examination of this using cost-benefit analysis??? Is it really worth the cost to keep car lanes sacred?

I'm sure the major political parties have done their own cost-benefit analysis on this issue.  The cost, it would seem, are votes of the car-driving public (who form the majority of the population).  Neither of them want to lose those votes.

I know right, but look at this barefaced lie I mean quote:
QuoteLocal councillor Fiona King said the State Government should revive an earlier proposal to build the busway along Gympie Rd because it would mean fewer resumptions.

"The Lord Mayor and myself would have liked to have seen (the busway) go straight down Gympie Rd to minimise impacts on homes and also on sporting facilities in the area," she said.

The reason it is not on road is that roadspace is sacred to the Libs!

ozbob

Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Scott Emerson
01/07/2012

Future Northern busway for Gympie Rd

The alignment of future stages of the Northern busway will follow Gympie Rd rather than wipe out hundreds of homes around Kedron and Chermside.

Minister for Transport and Main Roads Scott Emerson said Labor's plan to resume homes and add travel time by diverting the busway alignment away from the area's major arterial road was not affordable and disrupted too many lives.

"This is a project that is simply not deliverable because it is not affordable," Mr Emerson said.

"The Newman Government can cut the waste and deliver better value for taxpayers by using the Gympie Road corridor, while at the same time saving homes near Rode Road and Hamilton Road that would have had to be resumed."

The previous route which took the next stage of the Northern busway off Gympie Road at Rode Road to the Prince Charles Hospital Precinct before returning to Gympie Road past the Hamilton Road intersection, will be scrapped.

"The timeline for the busway extension will also be reviewed due to the state of Queensland's finances," Mr Emerson said.

"I've asked the Department to provide short-to-medium term options to improve bus travel along the section of Gympie Road between Kedron and Chermside - including bus priority."

Member for Stafford Chris Davis campaigned to have the project reviewed due to the massive disruptions to the local community.

"It's important we look at some real cost-effective and deliverable options to support the growing communities across the northern suburbs of Brisbane," Dr Davis said.

"The corridor proposed by the previous government has left a lot of people in limbo and caused a lot of concern among the local community.

"More than anywhere, the people of northern Brisbane understand the disruptions that new infrastructure can cause, but they also want governments to minimise those disruptions with sensible decisions.

"Using Gympie Road as the area's major transport corridor is a sensible decision."
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

somebody

:-t

I never agreed with going via PCH.

I'd think that connecting the Federation St and Truro St portals would be a bigger priority than a northern extension though.

Golliwog

Yes, interesting that they're fine with bus priority north of Kedron to Chermside, but not further south where it was originally planned.

Though if it's anything like the bus lane policy at BCC when Newman was at the helm, it will require Gympie Rd to be widened because you can't possibly take a lane away from private cars.

#Metro

I agree with Simon on this one, deviating off the main road was nuts. Yes there is a hospital there, but just build a portal, and run a frequent bus feeding into the busway and get people to change. You can still even build a busway station at PCH if you want to, just get people to change.

Now, the real commonsense test - will there be bus lanes?
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

huddo45

Sixty years ago there were 'tram lanes'. :(

SurfRail

The PCH will probably end up with several BUZ routes nearby or at the front door well before the busway would have been built (including BUZ-like routes such as whatever will replace the relevant stretch of the Great Circle Line).

I'm in favour of this move.  I wasn't hugely opposed to a PCH diversion originally, but would never argue against the decision they have made now.

Bus lanes Federation St to Truro St and from Stafford Rd all the way to Aspley are a must. 

Is any of the stretch of Lutwyche/Gympie Road north of Truro Street not a State controlled road?
Ride the G:

Gazza

I've been thinking too, what is there to stop the busway being elevated over Gympie Rd in parts to get to Chermside.

Basically, Gympie Rd in those sections has car dealers, big box stores, home decorator paint shops etc.
Nothing that can be impacted, not many residents, so no NIMBYs stopping them just barreling it through.

beauyboy

The thing is also a bridge section is unlikely to to be as speed limited as a tunnel section would be.

Donald
www.space4cyclingbne.com
www.cbdbug.org.au

Jonno

Quote from: Gazza on July 01, 2012, 20:13:36 PM
I've been thinking too, what is there to stop the busway being elevated over Gympie Rd in parts to get to Chermside.

Basically, Gympie Rd in those sections has car dealers, big box stores, home decorator paint shops etc.
Nothing that can be impacted, not many residents, so no NIMBYs stopping them just barreling it through.

Good urban design Principles.  Existing uses are only what they are because of how ugly the road is.  Cut and cover is the best option!

Gazza

Disagree.
Many cities with good density and low car use are mature enough to put up with elevated transit lines. Eg London Docklands, Singapore.

If it can be done cheaper above ground, it should, and the money saved put towards new lines elsewhere that would otherwise be on the backburner.

🡱 🡳