• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Article: Rail trippers face chaos every second weekend as lockout looms

Started by #Metro, November 01, 2010, 00:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

#Metro

QuoteTHOUSANDS of commuters are set to be denied rail access to major sporting events and the city centre every second weekend under a planned overhaul of the southeast Citytrain network's maintenance schedule.

The Courier-Mail can reveal a new maintenance regime, which will be trialled by Queensland Rail in January, will mean almost an entire Citytrain rail line shutting down every second weekend.

But QR argues the new maintenance schedule will be less disruptive for commuters, with the same line closing for two days every three months rather than smaller closures more often.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/rail-trippers-face-chaos-every-second-weekend-as-lockout-looms/story-e6freoof-1225945865445

Does anyone know how Melbourne, Sydney and Perth do it?
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

From the Courier Mail click here!

QuoteRail trippers face chaos every second weekend as lockout looms

* by Ursula Heger
   * November 01, 2010 12:00AM

THOUSANDS of commuters are set to be denied rail access to major sporting events and the city centre every second weekend under a planned overhaul of the southeast Citytrain network's maintenance schedule.

The Courier-Mail can reveal a new maintenance regime, which will be trialled by Queensland Rail in January, will mean almost an entire Citytrain rail line shutting down every second weekend.

But QR argues the new maintenance schedule will be less disruptive for commuters, with the same line closing for two days every three months rather than smaller closures more often.

The changes will force thousands of commuters to use buses or cars when their rail line, including the packed Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast lines, is closed across the weekend.

But recent data shows weekend traffic on some of the southeast's major arterials is worsening, growing at a faster rate than weekday congestion.

Suncorp Stadium and the Gabba have more than 30 events scheduled on weekends next year, while access to festivals and concerts may also be more difficult.

QR said commuters will be put on to buses during the closures and the Ipswich line, which includes Suncorp Stadium, would not be closed on big game nights.

Up to 55,000 people use the Citytrain network on Saturdays and to up to 40,000 on Sundays.

Despite moving to trial the new regime in less than two months, QR was unable to provide precise figures on how many people catch individual lines on weekends.

QR said only that during current closures, up to 500 people per hour were transported on affected lines.

On weekday peak-hours Ipswich and Caboolture carry about one in every five passengers on the network, meaning up to 18,000 people could be affected when either of the lines on the weekend closures.

The new regime will divide the network into zones, with each rail line considered one zone. One zone will be shut down every second weekend for track maintenance, meaning one line in QR's Citytrain network will be closed every 12 weeks because lines such as Gold Coast and Beenleigh are considered as the same zone.

QR chief executive Paul Scurrah said the old maintenance regime, which resulted in parts of lines shut down outside of peak times, was causing unnecessary delays for rail commuters.

"One of the things customers are telling us is that they are noticing a lot of ad hoc closures that frankly are not taking advantage of that closure to do everything that is needed on the corridor,'' he said.

"It does not make sense to close it one week for re-sleepering and close it another week for graffiti removal.''

Mr Scurrah said buses would replace trains during the closures, which would be less disruptive than the current system.

"In the past eight months we have had more than 80 closures, so whether that is the whole line or just part of the line, it is very disruptive to our customers,'' he said.

Rail Back on Track spokesman Robert Dow said that intermittent smaller closures still allowed commuters to use the rail network to get to their destination.

Comment:  When asked about this I suggested that community consultation for this plan is needed through the QR community reference groups and via public consultation processes.  Closing complete rail corridors is not necessary IMHO.  Do you realise the concrete re-sleepering project was carried out during overnight windows?  Where there is sufficient track amplification e.g. Northgate to Brisbane, or Darra to Brisbane partial closures are probably only needed.

In my younger days I am struggling to remember if we had these constant closures.  The closures due to construction are necessary but I think a lot of the so called maintenance closures are better done as overnight or partial. Consultation please QR!
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

1st November 2010

Zero consultation

Greetings,

This morning the Courier Mail has revealed a plan to close complete rail corridors for 'maintenance' every two weeks.

From the Courier Mail click here!

Rail trippers face chaos every second weekend as lockout looms

* by Ursula Heger
    * November 01, 2010 12:00AM

THOUSANDS of commuters are set to be denied rail access to major sporting events and the city centre every second weekend under a planned overhaul of the southeast Citytrain network's maintenance schedule.

The changes will force thousands of commuters to use buses or cars when their rail line, including the packed Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast lines, is closed across the weekend.

But recent data shows weekend traffic on some of the southeast's major arterials is worsening, growing at a faster rate than weekday congestion.

Suncorp Stadium and the Gabba have more than 30 events scheduled on weekends next year, while access to festivals and concerts may also be more difficult.

QR said commuters will be put on to buses during the closures and the Ipswich line, which includes Suncorp Stadium, would not be closed on big game nights.

Up to 55,000 people use the Citytrain network on Saturdays and to up to 40,000 on Sundays.

Despite moving to trial the new regime in less than two months, QR was unable to provide precise figures on how many people catch individual lines on weekends.

QR said only that during current closures, up to 500 people per hour were transported on affected lines.

On weekday peak-hours Ipswich and Caboolture carry about one in every five passengers on the network, meaning up to 18,000 people could be affected when either of the lines on the weekend closures.

The new regime will divide the network into zones, with each rail line considered one zone. One zone will be shut down every second weekend for track maintenance, meaning one line in QR's Citytrain network will be closed every 12 weeks because lines such as Gold Coast and Beenleigh are considered as the same zone.

QR chief executive Paul Scurrah said the old maintenance regime, which resulted in parts of lines shut down outside of peak times, was causing unnecessary delays for rail commuters.

"One of the things customers are telling us is that they are noticing a lot of ad hoc closures that frankly are not taking advantage of that closure to do everything that is needed on the corridor,'' he said.

"It does not make sense to close it one week for re-sleepering and close it another week for graffiti removal.''

Mr Scurrah said buses would replace trains during the closures, which would be less disruptive than the current system.

"In the past eight months we have had more than 80 closures, so whether that is the whole line or just part of the line, it is very disruptive to our customers,'' he said.

Rail Back on Track spokesman Robert Dow said that intermittent smaller closures still allowed commuters to use the rail network to get to their destination.

When I was asked about this I suggested that community consultation for this plan is needed through the QR community reference groups and via public consultation processes before commitment.  Closing complete rail corridors constantly  is not necessary IMHO.  Do you realise the concrete re-sleepering project was carried out during overnight windows essentially?  Where there is sufficient track amplification e.g. Northgate to Brisbane, or Darra to Brisbane partial closures are probably only needed with a bit of imagination and planning.  Tracking in from the Gold Coast to Brisbane, or Caboolture to Brisbane by bus is a nightmare during a rail shut-down.  At least if half the journey continues by rail it is a little more manageable  and tolerable.

Many of the closures of late have been construction related, the need for these dissipates when construction complete.

In my younger days I am struggling to remember if we had these constant closures.  The closures due to construction are necessary but I think a lot of the so called maintenance closures are better done as overnight or partial.  Railways used to strive once to provide constant services.

Personally I am very disappointed that this 'plan' was leaked via media and not raised with the QR Community Reference Groups at least first and properly discussed.

I am sure others will be equally disappointed.

Best wishes
Robert

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

ozbob

Melbourne has closures from time to time, but tends to be sectional and most 'out of hours' ...

ozbob

During the last closure Corinda to Rosewood I went down to Darra rail, and there was no assistance for pax at all.  A few signs but not that obvious.  No trackstar staff, no TransLink staff, no QR staff.  At Oxley there was QR staff assisting. I helped orientate a few pax during my visits to Darra.  The whole process needs further refinement. Some folks are confused at times unfortunately.

Constantly I find passengers waiting on platforms during closures for non-arriving trains.    I have raised some improvements with QR over the years. The larger signs were a result of that, but they don't use other information sources that are available eg. voice announcement system or properly support the shutdowns IMHO with staff.  Get some TL helping hands out there on the job ...

ozbob

Chris Adams and Ashley Bradenham 4BC Breakfast radio conducted an interview on this.

Thanks for the interest.

8)

#Metro

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/rail-trippers-face-chaos-every-second-weekend-as-lockout-looms/comments-e6freoof-1225945865445

QR needs to clarify, fast.

QuoteLarry of Runcorn  Posted at 6:35 AM Today

Dear Editor, my reading of this article is that the maintenance on lines will be consolidated on a corridor by corridor basis (or line by line basis) and that this would mean one line would be closed every second weekend. Given that there are seven (or eight) corridors then a given weekend commutor would be affected once every 14 (or 16) weeks. This is hardly "Rail trippers face chaos every second weekend as lockout looms" as your article headline says. All in all, it seems to be a good idea to me and, if implemented properly,would probably be a lot more cost effecient than performing maintenance in a 'piecemeal' fashion.

Comment 30 of 49
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Derwan

I think this is a beat-up.  Your line will be closed for 1 weekend every 3 months.  That's 4 times a year.  When it's closed, you simply jump on one of the buses provided for a FREE trip.

The Courier Mail describes it as "every second weekend" to make it sound like a regular inconvenience for everyone, which it's not.  It also suggests that the closures will occur during major events, which QR has already said will not happen.  I hate how the Courier Mail reports stuff.  Everything has to be an over-dramatised beat-up.  

What would people prefer - some decent maintenance or the constant "track faults" that have been occurring throughout the day including the peak period?  

I think RailBOT should be supporting the new maintenance regime.
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

Derwan

Quote from: tramtrain on November 01, 2010, 08:38:40 AM
QR needs to clarify, fast.

somebody

Quote from: tramtrain on November 01, 2010, 00:02:32 AM
Does anyone know how Melbourne, Sydney and Perth do it?
Sydney has constant trackwork, all weekend for a given location.  Here's a link: http://cityrail.info/service_updates/trackwork/?period=1&lineId=

I would say that trackwork would affect a weekend commute for a normal line about 1 weekend in 4, at best 1 in 6.  If you are on the Inner West line (Macdonaldtown-Croydon), that is probably more like 1 weekend in 2.  That's because if they ever want to work on any of the sextuplicated tracks, they stop trains from serving these stations to use the "local" tracks for through services.

It actually didn't annoy me that much because the trackwork bus was just as fast Strathfield-Pennant Hills as the train and more frequent - it would run express Strathfield-West Ryde.

#Metro

That's right Derwan, I thought my line would be closed every 2 weeks! Good Grief, I thought the sky would fall in.

QR still needs to consult. The Gold Coast and Beenleigh lines should be seperate zones.
Surely they do not suggest that people jump on a bus at Varsity Lakes to go to Brisbane?

Golliwog

I do see the benefit of this. As was pointed out in the comments, one of the main irritations of track closures is the wait at eitehr end to transfer from train to bus and back again. Yes if they close the line it will be a longer journey, but you don't have to change mode. If you're catching a train to somewhere else (say, FG to Ipswich line) then you still only have one transfer point in the city.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

I have spoken with QR and more details are now emerging. Followed Mr Scurrah on ABC radio Gold Coast and was able to highlight the benefits of rationalisation. But I did highlight the need for staff to be on stations during a particular rail corridor closure and improved communications.  I have had assurances that improved communication and support will be forthcoming. 

There will be further consultation on this. 

:-c

colinw

This is something of a non-issue in my opinion, as it is unlikely that any given line will cop more than 4 weekends per year unless a major project is underway, i.e. little different to now.

Consultation would be nice 'though, plus some thought about timing of closures, e.g. the way Ipswich line closures seem to land on Ipswich Cup day like clockwork, and obviously major events like Riverfire should be kept clear as well if possible.

I'd also question why overnight work isn't used more often.

Over all 'though, this seems to me like a minor inconvenience getting blown up into a major beat-up on rail by The Courier-Fail.

cheers,
Colin

ozbob

Yes Colin, more night work is possible.

The interview on 4BC was upbeat as well.  Was able to highlight poor off peak frequency as well ... ;D

No one  I think does not understand the need for closures.  It has been an excellent opportunity to drive consultation and better support during the closures, moved very quickly on that.  I am tired of finding people on platforms during closures waiting for no-shows ..

Further advice to the effect that full line closures are not necessarily going to happen.  For example, closure between Corinda and Rosewood with rail to and from Corinda.  The recent closure on the Cleveland line Murrarie to Cleveland where the opportunity was taken  to do intensive work as another example.

A whole line will be closed only if there is a reason to do so.

My impression is that this story was not really meant for the public domain at this time.

Derwan

Another thing we've been pushing for is services later into the night - or even all night.  On reason given for not doing this is the need for minor maintenance work.  Perhaps if this "trial" is successful, we will see some more late-night services.

colinw

I actually get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see regular maintenance occurring, and the track being kept in top condition.  It is nice to know we ride over a rail network that receives regular inspection & maintenance.

Take a look at the track condition in Adelaide to see what the alternative is.

somebody

Quote from: Derwan on November 01, 2010, 10:18:18 AM
Another thing we've been pushing for is services later into the night - or even all night. 
Hate to harp about this, but if you are going all night, it would probably be safer and cheaper to run bus services, like Sydney does.  I think they get pretty good loadings on these buses too.

What IS needed is abolishing the hourly frequency after 10pm Mon-Thu and also the early finish on Sun.

STB

Agree with others, this is a non-issue and simply a beat up by The Courier Mail to gain some emotion driven negativity towards Queensland Rail and to sell some more papers with a 'shock, horror' headline.

With regards to overnight work, they do already do some overnight work (if you ever check out a train diagram which I did for several months everyday of the working week).  However, a lot of things can't be done in one night.

In terms of consultation, while it would've been nice, I don't think it would've netted much negativity once it was explained properly unlike how the CM has decided to paint it.  Going by other's sums, each line gets shut down only four times a year with free travel on buses during the shutdown, no complaints from me!

At the end of the day, it's simply a trial, to give it a go and if it doesn't work then to try something else, it's not the end of the world!

Keep in mind we're riding on one of the safest networks around.  I'd like to keep it that way!

ozbob

Ipswich has about 10 closures at least this year.  These are construction related but a lot of maintenance has been done during this time as well.  There is another closure this weekend Corinda to Rosewood, second in two weeks.  A lot grief around Ipswich about the closures, I wrote a letter to the Queensland Times explaining the reasons.  If you are the end of the line it is not apparent sometimes why there are constant closures. Communication and support does need a revamp.  The Minister travelled during a bus substitution.  We now have better buses at least.

Much light maintenance can and is done at night.  The re-sleepering project was done over night with some weekend closures. If the night windows weren't used it would have been a major constant disruption.

Quite frankly, I think in some respects QR is also catching up on the some less than optimal efforts of the past.  Hopefully things will be better in  a year or so.

:lo

somebody

One other thing about the late night/all night services: While I can see all night to the Gold Coast, I don't think late night on the other lines is a priority.  A bigger priority is an earlier first service.  Why can't you arrive in the city on a weekend by 6am?

ozbob

In Melbourne a year or so ago I can remember catching a bus at Box Hill through to Ringwood on a weekend.  The line was closed between Box Hill and Ringwood for major crossing or bridge works, can't quite recall now the exact details.

somebody

Oh, and back to the original points, I don't think there is much reason for too much consultation.  CityRail advertise planned trackwork 6 months in advance, so if a major event is missed, they have plenty of opportunity to change it.  Or put on additional buses if it cannot be changed.

ozbob

From the Queensland Times click here!

New plan to keep trains moving

QuoteNew plan to keep trains moving

Zane Jackson | 2nd November 2010 

WEEKEND track closures on the Ipswich train line will become less frequent next year under a new Queensland Rail maintenance plan.

Peter Collins, 27, of Raceview has been adversely affected by train closures on weekends.
David Nielsen

WEEKEND track closures on the Ipswich train line will become less frequent next year under a new Queensland Rail maintenance plan.

The maintenance plan will see each zone on Queensland Rail's city train network closed only four times a year, instead of shorter but more frequent closures.

For regular Ipswich rail users like Raceview resident Peter Collins, the move towards less weekend closures is good news.

The 27-year-old said he had been delayed going to his Brisbane CBD-based job in the past because of weekend closures.

"It affects me – it's hard to get into work on time if it's closed and you have to use replacement buses," Mr Collin said.

"It would be a lot easier if there were fewer disruptions."

Ipswich passengers have experienced more closures than any other rail line in the network these last few years, according to commuter advocacy group Rail Back on Track.

Spokesman Robert Dow said there had been at least 10 track closures on the Ipswich line this year, with another one planned this weekend.

Mr Dow said with the large amount of maintenance work this past year, he hoped there would be fewer disruptions in 2011.

He called on Queensland Rail to improve communication and have more staff at train stations when there were closures.

A spokesperson for Queensland Rail said this year's closures had predominantly been for work on the Corinda to Darra Rail Upgrade and upgrades to the Warrego and Centenary highways.

The spokesperson said the new maintenance program would lead to a reduction in the number of "ad hoc closures" throughout the network.

"This will improve the reliability of the rail network and therefore minimise the delays experienced to timetabled City network services," Queensland Rail said in a statement.

ozbob

Had a meeting with some QR personnel this morning and had the maintenance plan properly explained.  It is a sound plan and a number of new initiatives including making the schedule for closures publicly known well in advance.  Proper consultation with all stakeholders is part of the process.  As I have said before I don't think it was meant to be in the public domain the way it was, but when it is properly explained to everyone what is actually going on then it will be understood.  Most lines will only have a weekend closure once in  three months or so (construction tasks may increase frequency as we have experienced on the Ippy). For example, when the work for the duplication to FG commences there will be some construction related closures.  During those maintenance can be done as well where possible. Other minor maintenance will continue as needed and as required. Some of that is overnight for example.
It is in fact a rationalisation and improvement which will hopefully result in improved reliability and OTP as well.

The points we have made about consultation and improved support during closures was well received and I think will work a lot better from the passengers perspective.

:lo

somebody

FWIW, they were doing trackwork on the Ippy between Toowong and Taringa around 2am last night.  So night work does actually happen.

mufreight

With four tracks from Darra to Northgate it is pretty hard to justify total closures of those sections over the weekends, after all we had months of only two tracks in operation between Roma Street and Corinda while the shut the other two lines down to rebuild Indooroopilly station and that covered week days.

ozbob

From the Queensland Times click here!

Track closures affecting commuters

QuoteTrack closures affecting commuters

Zane Jackson | 9th November 2010

IPSWICH train commuters should receive a weekend of free travel to make up for this year's seemingly constant weekend track closures.

That's the view of Rail Back on Track spokesman Robert Dow, who said Ipswich commuters have been affected by track closures more than residents on any other rail line.

Mr Dow said the recent track closures were due to track amplification between Corinda and Darra West and work on the new Richlands branch line.

He said these works would benefit Ipswich travellers in the long run but Queensland Rail had not clearly spelled out these benefits during recent weekend closures.

"Ipswich and Rosewood line commuters have endured these constant closures now for a couple of years," he said.

"Might be a gesture of goodwill to give us a free weekend of travel when the new works open in January in recognition of the pain? I think, though, that the 'train pain' will be worth the 'train gain' in the end."

A Queensland Rail spokesperson last week said there had been a weekend track closure every month on the Ipswich line, with two in October.

Transport Minister and Ipswich MP Rachel Nolan said there were no plans to give commuters a weekend of free travel.

"The big advantage that the Ipswich community will get from all the work is a third passenger line from Corinda to Darra. This will allow more express services next year," she said.

"The new Richlands station will also open early next year, heralding completion of the first spur line to be run to a community in south-east Queensland since the Second World War."

From next January, Queensland Rail will trial a new way to manage track closures across the suburban network.

Under the new program, the network will be divided into a number of zones, with shutdowns scheduled in each zone four times a year, leading to a reduction in ad hoc closures.

mufreight

Good concept but no doubt they would manage to have a shutdown on the free weekend

ozbob

🡱 🡳