• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

New style go card reader trial

Started by ozbob, August 26, 2010, 13:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

A new style of go card reader has been placed on platform three Oxley rail station, east, for a trial.

As can be noted, in direct full sunlight screen is readable.  There are improvements to the screen filtering, and should be more moisture resistant.  The angle is steeper to minimise glare effects, speaker is louder.

Photographs R Dow 26th August 2010
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

STB

Pity the screen display isn't bigger.

ozbob

Mrs Ozbob used this reader yesterday and said it is a lot better than the others.  Improved readability of screen, louder beeps.

ozbob

Photograph of the reader in light rain, with some surface moisture.  Under these conditions the old reader used to mist up so that the screen was unreadable. The screen on this prototype is still clear and readable.

Photograph R Dow 19th September 2010

mufreight

A bigger improvement would be to reduce the size of the Translink Logo and increase the size of the readout screen, the font size is far too small for most to read easily which slows up a queue when touching off.
It would be a minimal cost and minor structural change to the readers to provide a larger screen similar to those in the Micki readers in use in Melbourne.

ozbob

Agree wholeheartedly mufreight, but sadly that is not going to happen.

For some photographs of myki readers etc click --> here!

Mozz

Working within the footprint which is the existing go card reader I believe the current "new" model addresses many of the reported issues.

What I would like to see is many many more explanatory notices around public transport centres which describes to commuters, what the beeps and colour flashes actually mean.

ozbob

Beeps are much louder and screen is easier to read. The colour LED is brighter too. Not perfect but better, and is probably all we will get.

I used it yesterday and it is standing up well to the weather and sunlight at this stage.

mufreight

Quote from: ozbob on September 27, 2010, 08:07:09 AM
Agree wholeheartedly mufreight, but sadly that is not going to happen.

The obvious response "WHY?"

ozbob

QuoteThe obvious response "WHY?"

I suspect because of the cost of completely redoing all the readers.  The equipment is old generation.  Personally I would like to see screens the size of myki, with the colour and font combinations of that equipment. 

ozbob

Used the pilot reader at Oxley today.  Still looking good, no degradation in the screens or the beeps. Still distinctively sharp sound (louder than the other readers).  Looking good!

Photographs R Dow 31st October 2010

Derwan

Quote from: ozbob on October 31, 2010, 13:20:30 PM
Used the pilot reader at Oxley today.  Still looking good, no degradation in the screens or the beeps. Still distinctively sharp sound (louder than the other readers).  Looking good!

When do we get them at all stations?  :P
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

ozbob

ozbob

The reader is standing up to the weather well, and working reliably.  Still nice and loud, and screen is clear.

ozbob

Hello hello!  Just went for a walk down platforms 2/1 Oxley and there is another new style reader on the south side, eastern end at the footbridge stairs.  Not sure how long it has been there, in  full sunlight was able to read it ok. I noted a small degradation in the bonding of the screen. Nice clear beep, but not quite as loud as the other new style reader on platform 3 I thought (maybe just me).

:-w

ozbob

New style go card reader on platform 1/2 east Oxley

Photographs R Dow 29th November 2010

ozbob

QuoteI noted a small degradation in the bonding of the screen.

This has now developed into a marked yellow discolouration of the entire screen.  Seems something is breaking down in the bonding of the laminate or whatever constitutes the screen. It is in very direct sunlight there on 1/2 east Oxley.

The other new style reader on platform 3 is still fine.

ozbob

Some photographs of the new reader on 1/2 Oxley.

Still able to use it although the screen is deteriorating.

Photographs R Dow 12th December 2010

ozbob

Been a bit wet, checked out the new style reader east platform 3.  Seems to be standing up to the moisture reasonably well.  Still readable no fogging.

Photograph R Dow 26th December 2010

ozbob

The pilot reader on platforms 1/2 east Oxley has had a new screen, looking good.  The original pilot machine platform 3 east is working well.  I love the louder beeps and the screen is a bit easy to read.  Trial successful IMHO.  Roll 'em out ..

mufreight

These pilot readers are without doubt an improvement but compared to the Miki readers they are less than user friendly, just so much second rate junk.   :pr

BrizCommuter

Quote from: mufreight on March 05, 2011, 11:59:10 AM
These pilot readers are without doubt an improvement but compared to the Miki readers they are less than user friendly, just so much second rate junk.   :pr

I'll second that. Myki readers have a much better screen.

mufreight

Quote from: BrizCommuter on March 05, 2011, 15:30:15 PM
Quote from: mufreight on March 05, 2011, 11:59:10 AM

I'll second that. Myki readers have a much better screen.

And a lower malfunction rate

Gazza

Golliwog

I've acutally found that getting through the gates at the city stations is much easier now, even more so in peak as while the gates don't stay open long enough for a second person to sneak through (and they shouldn't), they do stay open long enough that the second person can touch their card without the gates starting to close so it just becomes a steady stream of passengers.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

The pilot readers are still operating well ..  mentioned in this --> Courier Mail article

In light rain, still usable and the beeps nice and loud.  

Looking across from platform 3 to platforms 1/2 to the other pilot reader, opposite a standard reader.

Photographs R Dow 20th March 2011

Barbar

IMO the reader display is still rubbish.....poor illumination coupled with ridiculously small black font on a seasick green background screen, talk about a user nightmare.

ozbob

Quote from: Barbar on March 21, 2011, 09:14:14 AM
IMO the reader display is still rubbish.....poor illumination coupled with ridiculously small black font on a seasick green background screen, talk about a user nightmare.

Yep, compared to the myki readers the readers we have here in Brisbane are a lot harder to use.  But it looks like this is all we are GOing to get!

;)

mufreight

Quote from: ozbob on March 21, 2011, 09:16:12 AM
Quote from: Barbar on March 21, 2011, 09:14:14 AM

Yep, compared to the myki readers the readers we have here in Brisbane are a lot harder to use.  But it looks like this is all we are GOing to get!

;)

Why compared to the Miki readers the readers currently in use and the trial units while an improvement quite simply are junk, it would be relatively simple and low cost to upgrade the readers here by the instalation of a larger screen similar to that used in the Miki units but Cubic seems intent on using up there current stock of junk to cut costs.  There is no interest in customer convenience.

Gazza

Dunno why everyone goes gaga over the Myki readers, they don't seem great either...screens is way too dark, and the units aren't too sturdy (looks like it has been attacked with paint thinners, the screen is scratched too):

http://img860.imageshack.us/i/mykiscreen.jpg/

ozbob

That photograph is no way representative of the myki readers. Must be a vandalised unit.  Myki screens are very bright actually.  Having used the myki readers many times they are vastly superior to the go card units, nothing like actually using the various systems.  Many go card units get vandalised as well, fact of life.

Myki readers are vastly superior in terms of readability, function and message.

BrizCommuter

Quote from: ozbob on April 04, 2011, 03:21:57 AM
+1

mufreight

Quote from: BrizCommuter on April 04, 2011, 06:23:09 AM
Quote from: ozbob on April 04, 2011, 03:21:57 AM
+1

you got that right  :-t   :hc

Gazza

Go see at and in this video at 0:21 and at 1:47 ....   
The readers look fine if they under cover or inside a vehicle, but in full sunlight, they seem terrible, and you can't get past the fact the screens scratch much easier and he plastic isn't as durable as our stainless steel readers.

The fact is, if readers like this was caught on video, there would be others like it out there too...I mean if you're going to go around saying that all the GoCard readers are unreadable due to a few bag eggs with UV/Water damaged screens, then the same would be the case in Melbourne, but with dark/scratched screens instead....

ozbob

Disagree Gazza. I have used both systems and the myki gear is vastly superior. 

mufreight

Have to agree with Ozbob Gazza, the Miki Readers are far more user friendly than those in use here, easier to read and audible for oldtimer like myself.
The GoCard readers provided by Cubic could easily be upgraded to a screen the size of that used by the Miki readers and it would seem that these larger screens are more robust and weather resistant than those in use here.  An opinion shared by a number of people who are frequent visitors to Melbourne from here so they have considerable experience with both systems and their equipment.

Gazza

^How much would you estimate it would cost per unit to do the upgrade across the whole network?

I can see where you are coming from with a larger screen being more readable, but there are so many things wrong with PT in Brisbane that sinking a whole lot of cash to upgrade readers is going to be hard to push for if the equipment is only 3-4 years old.

Others may disagree with me, but I rarely read what is on the screen anyway (And people that do kind of annoy me when they do it when there is a long line of people wanting to touch of quickly and get out)...All I look for is a green light. If I need to know when the balance is running low, then that is what the triple beep/auto top up is for.

QuoteDisagree Gazza. I have used both systems and the myki gear is vastly superior. 
In full sun though?

No doubt the ones on buses etc are better though (Once you get past the slow reading speed) :-r
But in a few years time, those outdoor plastic readers are going to be scratched beyond belief, and/or UV damaged.

Stillwater

There has to be a point in the maintenance cycle when each of the readers will require a makeover.  That is when to put in larger screens etc.  It will be cost effective if done as part of the regular upkeep.  Of, if one vandalised, replace it.  I am not advocating vandalisation by those reading this btw.

#Metro

Quote^How much would you estimate it would cost per unit to do the upgrade across the whole network?

I can see where you are coming from with a larger screen being more readable, but there are so many things wrong with PT in Brisbane that sinking a whole lot of cash to upgrade readers is going to be hard to push for if the equipment is only 3-4 years old.

Others may disagree with me, but I rarely read what is on the screen anyway (And people that do kind of annoy me when they do it when there is a long line of people wanting to touch of quickly and get out)...All I look for is a green light. If I need to know when the balance is running low, then that is what the triple beep/auto top up is for.

I rarely read the screen too- people reading the screen form queues at rail stations and that's annoying!
They need to make a different beep sound for ERROR and NO CASH. Some bus drivers wave passengers through
if they hear the error sound- except many of these will simply be insufficient funds.

QuoteQuote
Disagree Gazza. I have used both systems and the myki gear is vastly superior.
In full sun though?

No doubt the ones on buses etc are better though (Once you get past the slow reading speed)
But in a few years time, those outdoor plastic readers are going to be scratched beyond belief, and/or UV damaged.

I can't believe they put Myki on Trams. I guess they might get away with that.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Goodness, screens be it go or myki are part of the system. Whether an individual chooses to read it or not is their choice. The fact remains the screens need to be read.  Myki screens are quick to read, and I have had no problems with them in sun or rain. Something I cannot say for go card readers. Nor on trams.

🡱 🡳