• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Quiet Car

Started by Golliwog, August 21, 2010, 01:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longboi

Quote from: MaxHeadway on September 22, 2010, 14:08:31 PM
Quote from: justanotheruser link=topic=4290.msg34600#msg34600 date=1285111112What I was getting at in the first place is the authorities are there to serve us. We should not be made to be afraid of them./quote]
And paradoxically, they're much better able to serve us if they're not hindered from dealing with troublemakers the way they need to be dealt with.

Define troublemaker. Secondly, if Police were to treat 'troublemakers' as 2nd-class citizens then really what you are doing is setting them up to fail.

justanotheruser

Quote from: MaxHeadway on September 22, 2010, 14:08:31 PM
Quote from: justanotheruser on September 22, 2010, 09:18:32 AMWhat I was getting at in the first place is the authorities are there to serve us. We should not be made to be afraid of them.
And paradoxically, they're much better able to serve us if they're not hindered from dealing with troublemakers the way they need to be dealt with.

[Edited to put in a closing square bracket, to fix up a coding error!]
trust me there are plenty of obscure laws the police can use to deal with troublemakers. However corruption which has happened in the past has affected innocent parties.

Nina M Blackwell

It's been a lovely quiet week without the students...however, some adults still persist on keeping their phones switched on to ring.  Once it rings, they cannot help themselves but to answer it, even if they truncate the call after explaining they're on the quiet carriage.  Unfortunately, the "annoyance" is already done with the ringing.  I am hopeful that once the quiet car becomes permanent, a new very brief message will be used, such as:  "This a reminder that the last carriage is a quiet zone, so please put your mobile phone on silent and refrain from using loud musical devices.  Thank you."

This morning a woman's phone rang and she carried on a 3-4 minute conversation without batting an eyelash.

Nina M Blackwell

:is- They're baaaaack.  School holidays are over.  Would someone please tell me which students have blue shirts with grey trim and get off at Coorparoo?

Quiet carriage on 5.19 Cleveland was anything but last night - thanks to Queensland Rail.  The "local" (all stations) train has one distinct advantage over the "limited" (express) and that is fewer announcements regarding where express starts and stops etc.  Last night for the first 15 minutes of the express trip, there were continual announcements with maybe 1 minute intervals in between because "quiet carriage" announcements were done almost at every stop by the over-enthusiastic conductor.  But the highlight was when during the "express" portion (the only truly quiet time), he decided to do a quiet zone appeal - when no new passengers could have boarded the train! 

Again, I look forward to the "trial" being over and the quiet carriage being permanent with nothing but QR's reminder to switch off phones and musical devices in the quiet zone.

curator49

Travelled from Central to Sunnybank on the 3.01 pm train on Friday. Two older men got on at Roma Street and sat opposite each other whence they commenced having a quite loud conversation about fishing on Fraser island. The older of the two (about 60 yo) commented it was good that no school students were on the train with their ill-manners and loud noise. At this point I had to interject and tell them this was the quiet car. Again the older fellow said "Yes. That is why we got into this car so we could talk". So they kept on the conversation despite me putting my fingers in my ears and giving them meaningful "dirty" looks which they were aware of but totally ignored.
I was travelling with my adult son who was sitting on the opposite side of the car. As we got off at Sunnybank I commented in a loud voice that "school children had better manners than some adults who should no better". Raymond and I had not spoken during the whole half hour journey in deference to the "quiet car". The rest of the car was very quiet during the whole journey, no phones and only occasional whispered conversation despite it being quite full.

Curator49

Nina M Blackwell

Curator, you're a man (or woman?) after my own heart!  Glad I'm not the only one brave enough to pressure my peers!  Well done!  We can only educate one traveller at a time.

O_128

Quote from: redlandsneen on October 05, 2010, 10:07:54 AM
:is- They're baaaaack.  School holidays are over.  Would someone please tell me which students have blue shirts with grey trim and get off at Coorparoo?

Quiet carriage on 5.19 Cleveland was anything but last night - thanks to Queensland Rail.  The "local" (all stations) train has one distinct advantage over the "limited" (express) and that is fewer announcements regarding where express starts and stops etc.  Last night for the first 15 minutes of the express trip, there were continual announcements with maybe 1 minute intervals in between because "quiet carriage" announcements were done almost at every stop by the over-enthusiastic conductor.  But the highlight was when during the "express" portion (the only truly quiet time), he decided to do a quiet zone appeal - when no new passengers could have boarded the train! 

Again, I look forward to the "trial" being over and the quiet carriage being permanent with nothing but QR's reminder to switch off phones and musical devices in the quiet zone.

that schools churchie
"Where else but Queensland?"

STB

On the train this morning (9:01am ex Birkdale service), there were two customer service officers doing a survey on the Quiet Car trial.  Also of interest is apparently (from another forum), two customer service officers disturbed the peace of the Quiet Car by doing a survey of the Quiet Car.

Golliwog

...but surely the customer service people would be an ok breaking of the quiet car rules?? I would be fine with that, seeing as they need to get feedback somehow as to whether or not its working.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

Completed one the 'Quiet car surveys' being conducted at Central on Friday (8th Oct).  Gave it a  :-t
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

justanotheruser

Quote from: redlandsneen on October 05, 2010, 10:07:54 AM
except they don't have to turn off musical devices. We have already established the rules with regards to musical devices is exactly the same as it is in every carriage of the train.

justanotheruser

Quote from: STB on October 07, 2010, 11:28:54 AM
On the train this morning (9:01am ex Birkdale service), there were two customer service officers doing a survey on the Quiet Car trial.  Also of interest is apparently (from another forum), two customer service officers disturbed the peace of the Quiet Car by doing a survey of the Quiet Car.
what they spoke in a loud voice did they? I would have thought they would just quietly ask people. If they did that then they were not breaking the rules. Conversations are allowed in the quiet car after all.

Nina M Blackwell

Quote from: justanotheruser on October 09, 2010, 15:26:47 PM
On the train this morning (9:01am ex Birkdale service), there were two customer service officers doing a survey on the Quiet Car trial.  Also of interest is apparently (from another forum), two customer service officers disturbed the peace of the Quiet Car by doing a survey of the Quiet Car.
what they spoke in a loud voice did they? I would have thought they would just quietly ask people. If they did that then they were not breaking the rules. Conversations are allowed in the quiet car after all.

The current rules allow for too much interpretation.  I have heard stories about folks using the "quiet carriage" so that they could carry on a journey-long conversation in peace.  Peace for them, that is.  Rarely are the "musical devices" silent.  Sometimes I feel like I could get up and dance to them.  What is truly needed and I feel would be very welcome is the last car being designated a "reading car" with a total ban on all electronic devices unless of course you can master the function to make it truly silent.  There are enough people just wanting it to be quiet.  This is the spirit of the concept which some people refuse to accept.  It is really sad that a small minority of the passenger population is resolutely determined to defy any rules and do exactly what they want, wherever they want.

justanotheruser

Quote from: redlandsneen on October 11, 2010, 08:46:06 AM
Quote from: justanotheruser on October 09, 2010, 15:26:47 PM

The current rules allow for too much interpretation.  I have heard stories about folks using the "quiet carriage" so that they could carry on a journey-long conversation in peace.  Peace for them, that is.  Rarely are the "musical devices" silent.  Sometimes I feel like I could get up and dance to them.  What is truly needed and I feel would be very welcome is the last car being designated a "reading car" with a total ban on all electronic devices unless of course you can master the function to make it truly silent.  There are enough people just wanting it to be quiet.  This is the spirit of the concept which some people refuse to accept.  It is really sad that a small minority of the passenger population is resolutely determined to defy any rules and do exactly what they want, wherever they want.
It is true that quiet is open to interpretation. Once again you use the word silent with musical devices. Silent and quiet are two different things. I know when I listen to my mp3 player I can't hear the music over the announcements. I do agree I am the mionority in this case. Years ago in my arrogant stage I would have "accidently" elbowed or hit the person several times if I was sitting next to them. I'm more mature now thankfully. I still think the best way to go about it is to get passengers who wish to use the quiet car to pay a surcharge. perhaps have a book of ten tickets they can buy and they must present one to get on the carriage. This money could be used to have people to police the quiet car. I really don't understand why people need a quiet car though. To me it is a question of what next a quiet zone in the Queen st Mall. Same if you work in a shop and people come in making alot of noise you would go broke as a business pretty quick if you told them to keep quiet (with the exception of cinemas and similar)

MaxHeadway

Quote from: justanotheruser on October 12, 2010, 19:56:10 PMI really don't understand why people need a quiet car though. To me it is a question of what next a quiet zone in the Queen st Mall. Same if you work in a shop and people come in making alot of noise you would go broke as a business pretty quick if you told them to keep quiet
Simple. In a place such as Queen St Maul, everyone's moving about anyway, and if you don't like the noise in a particular area, you can just move elsewhere in the mall. On a public transport vehicle, you're captive for the entirity of the journey from A to B.

justanotheruser

Quote from: MaxHeadway on October 12, 2010, 20:21:07 PM
Quote from: justanotheruser on October 12, 2010, 19:56:10 PMI really don't understand why people need a quiet car though. To me it is a question of what next a quiet zone in the Queen st Mall. Same if you work in a shop and people come in making alot of noise you would go broke as a business pretty quick if you told them to keep quiet
Simple. In a place such as Queen St Maul, everyone's moving about anyway, and if you don't like the noise in a particular area, you can just move elsewhere in the mall. On a public transport vehicle, you're captive for the entirely of the journey from A to B.
except this response completely ignores the point I made about if you have no choice but about being there such as if you work there as a council cleaner or in one of the shops. think of how many people hang around outside hungry jacks. What is the employee at Rankins Newsagency supposed to do if they don't like it? Quit their job so they can't pay the rent and end up starving and homeless???
So are we going to start a campaign for quiet buses? Make every second bus a quiet bus. Of course one could always find a quieter carriage on the train. After all there are six to choose from. Even on riverfire night I have easily been able to find a carriage without noisy people despite the large number of people. Any other time I just ignore any noise and tune it out. Or in other words I take responsibility for myself and I don't hear the noise. It is easy enough skill to learn.

ozbob

Quiet carriage poster EMU02

Photograph R Dow 15th October 2010

Nina M Blackwell

:'( I can't take it any more!  Please, please trial period be over!  On the way from Cleveland this morning the lovely woman driver read out the announcement no less than 6 times in a beautifully enunciated, poetic manner as if she were reciting Shakespeare at the Globe Theatre.  Each time I had to pause my talking book.  Talking, talking, talking the whole way - no not by passengers - they were quiet as lambs.  QR: The trial ends 22 November (miles away!).  Can the message be abbreviated yet to a simple reminder that the last car is the quiet car and leave it to passengers to hush people if necessary?  The ones with the "loud musical devices" can't hear the message anyway.

ozbob

Redlandsneens, there is growing national interest in the 'quiet carriage'.  Melbourne was chasing some view points the other day and I understand it will be a topic in some upcoming rail conferences.

Here to stay I would say ...

:-c

Emmie

Quote from: redlandsneen on November 03, 2010, 08:35:45 AM
:'( I can't take it any more!  Please, please trial period be over!  ... Can the message be abbreviated yet to a simple reminder that the last car is the quiet car and leave it to passengers to hush people if necessary?  The ones with the "loud musical devices" can't hear the message anyway.

I'm with you Redlandsneen. The idea of a Quiet Car makes no sense if it adds to the number of announcements. There are 17 stops in 40 minutes between Toowong and Sandgate, and if each stop is announced (20 seconds or so) AND there are announcements every 4-5 stations about the 'quiet' car as well (30 seconds) it's enough to drive me crazy. That is approximately 11 minutes of driver drivel.

It may be worth while on longer routes, such as Ipswich or GC, where there are 5+ minutes between stations, but otherwise, the QC is more trouble than it's worth.

somebody

At the CPTF, it was suggested that they may have the front and back car of a 6 car set as a quiet car with fixed posters displaying the quiet car and less announcements.

#Metro

That would be a good idea. The announcements can be extremely loud, lengthy and disruptive IMHO.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

BribieG

(guard with very loud and annoying grating voice) The next station will be Northgate, platform on the right in the direction of travel. Customers wishing to travel on the Shorncliffe line please change trains here and proceed to platform 3 for the next train. Customers (what happened to passengers? Most travellers on the Caboolture line don't pay so aren't really customers) are reminded that before alighting from this service to please ensure you have all your belongings secure and accounted for and take care when detrianing.
Queensland Rail would like to annouce that we now are trialling a quiet carriage on the................blah

blah

blah

I repeat the next station will be Northgate, platform on the right in the direction of travel.. Customers wishing to travel on the Shornc...................

Glad I wasn't sitting in the quiet carriage  :D

BribieG

Quote from: somebody on November 03, 2010, 17:29:16 PM
At the CPTF, it was suggested that they may have the front and back car of a 6 car set as a quiet car with fixed posters displaying the quiet car and less announcements.

Except that the front car is usually the one occupied by the fare evaders so they can spot the transit officers waiting on platforms and the evaders are usually a loud swearing lot anyway. Maybe it should be QR policy that the TOs should have a purpose built 'hide' on the platform near the middle of where the train stops, sort of like a red light camera which may or may not currently have a live camera installed  >:D

Derwan

Should the PA's be turned off in the Quiet Car?

(I realise there are technical issues with this - but it's a general question to be read as "if it was possible".)
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

somebody

Quote from: Derwan on November 04, 2010, 10:33:57 AM
Should the PA's be turned off in the Quiet Car?
That would make sense if they also made the rule "no conversations", rather than "no loud conversations".

justanotheruser

so what should they do about the trains that have no doors between carriages. I could sit at the end of the carriage and talk loudly disturbing people in the quiet car and I would not be doing anything wrong.

ozbob

From the Melbourne Age click here!

Train bosses urged to give peace a chance, or at least a carriage

QuoteTrain bosses urged to give peace a chance, or at least a carriage
Deborah Gough
November 14, 2010

THERE'S a businesswoman yelling into her mobile at a minion whose job's on the line; a teenager crying into her iPhone about the loser who just dumped her via text; the doof doof coming from the iPod headphones of the student sitting four rows ahead. You can't concentrate on your novel; can't even think straight. All you want is a bit of quiet time on the train as you head home from work.

You're not alone. A leading public transport expert and a prominent historian are calling for all metropolitan trains to have a designated ''quiet carriage'' similar to those used overseas and being given a trial in Queensland.

A Sunday Age straw poll found large support for the idea.

Monash University's Chair of Public Transport, Professor Graham Currie, and Dr Simon Smith, a historian, author and lawyer, both want Melbourne to begin a quiet carriage trial.

Dr Smith, who raised the issue with his local MP, said because carriages were confined spaces, music blaring into iPods and other personal music player headphones could often be overheard by other passengers, while loud talking, especially on mobile phones, could be disturbing to others.

''Because this is a relatively new technology and really being embraced we need to retrofit the manners that go with it,'' Dr Smith said.

The introduction of quiet carriages would create a chance to cement some ground rules for the public use of personal audio devices and mobile phones, he said.

In the Queensland trial, which began in August and will end this month, the last carriage has been designated a quiet zone. A Queensland Rail spokeswoman said feedback had been overwhelmingly positive.

A spokesman for Queensland-based public transport advocate group RAIL Back on Track, Robert Dow, said the trial had been so successful that Queensland Rail might expand the silence to the first and last carriages.

Mr Dow said signs and platform announcements directed passengers to the quiet carriage, where posters and two on-train announcements on every service reminded passengers about the no-noise policy. While there was no explicit fine for being loud in a quiet carriage, Mr Dow said, transit officers could ask a noisy passenger to be quiet. If they persisted, they could be fined for ''obnoxious behaviour''.

''People were sceptical at first, but it's been really popular,'' Mr Dow said.

A London rail operator has put mobile phone and Wi-Fi signal blocks on some carriages. One German city has gone further and banned mobile phone use on its trams and buses, but allows text messaging.

Public Transport Users Association spokesman Daniel Bowen supported the idea and Professor Currie said quiet carriages would be a low-cost way to improve the travel experience for some passengers, especially older or ''more sensitive'' travellers who were easily upset by certain behaviours.

Sarah Hinchliffe, of Malvern, said the noise on trains was ''terrible'' but did not think quiet carriages would be ''do-able''.

Jade Hollamby, of South Yarra, and Nicole Semcan, of Ringwood, said they often wore silent earphones to block noise and deter others from talking to them.

Both V/Line and Metro Trains said there were no plans to introduce quiet carriages.

:-c :P

ozbob

Three months is up!  Understand quiet cars will become permanent.  No announcements yet though?

justanotheruser

Quote from: ozbob on November 14, 2010, 06:56:48 AM

A London rail operator has put mobile phone and Wi-Fi signal blocks on some carriages. One German city has gone further and banned mobile phone use on its trams and buses, but allows text messaging.
This statement gives me nightmares and brings to mind one word - lawsuit. In a medical emergency when seconds count if people can't use their phone I could se a case for legal action.  This would be especially important if you ae not near the emergency communicator. Remember that ambulance emergency operators will give advice on what to do if possible. Would these instructions be passed on through the emergency communicator at the door? I doubt it.

Nina M Blackwell

Quote: This statement gives me nightmares and brings to mind one word - lawsuit. In a medical emergency when seconds count if people can't use their phone I could se a case for legal action.  This would be especially important if you ae not near the emergency communicator. Remember that ambulance emergency operators will give advice on what to do if possible. Would these instructions be passed on through the emergency communicator at the door? I doubt it.

Give me a break!  No one expects people not to use their phones in an emergency, even for train delays when alternative arrangements are being put in place, etc.  For goodness' sake!

Fares_Fair

My source tells me that there will be 2 quiet cars per 6 carriage train service implemented,
and they will be the 2nd and the 5th carriage. Not sure why the change of carriage.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Nina M Blackwell

Now that the trialling period is over, it is clearly back to a free for all.  There have been no announcements, in particular an abbreviated reminder announcement which has been called for here.  TransLink - please have a staff member ring all the schools on the Cleveland line (particularly those serviced by the Cannon Hill and Coorparoo stations) and formally request that students not use the last car.  It has been utterly ridiculous with the amount of chattering that goes on with the students in the so-called quiet carriage.

More signage is needed.  >:(  This exercise has demonstrated #1 that in general people are selfish and inconsiderate and #2 that most people are not willing to stand up for what they want by telling people to be quiet.

Is there an icon for "disgusted?"

Golliwog

2nd and 5th would mean that it would be the same car, irrespective of direction of travel, so they would be able to put up signs about it being a quiet car. Although there is now more of an issue with the newer trains which don't have doors between cars but I guess you win some and you lose some. Not having the constant announcements is worth having a little noise at the ends of the quiet car.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

I have also heard that there will be two cars, not sure if 2/5 or 1/6 though.

Derwan

Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

ozbob

Cool!

http://www.mysunshinecoast.com.au/articles/article-display/quiet-carriages-here-to-stay,19556

Quiet Carriages Here To Stay

QuoteQuiet Carriages Here To Stay

In an Australian-first, Queensland Rail 'quiet carriages' will become permanent on every train across the City network following overwhelming customer support during a three-month trial.

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan said not only was the initiative here to stay, but the quiet zones would be doubled to include the front and back carriage of every service.

"Hundreds of customers have been loud and clear, they want the quiet carriages permanently, and I am pleased to announce they are here to stay," Ms Nolan said.

"There has been overwhelming positive feedback to State Government, including calls to increase the quiet zones, which is why we have doubled the number of quiet carriages.

"Since the trial began in August there has been huge interest from right around the country regarding the concept. Queensland is leading the way in providing excellent customer service for the travelling public."

Queensland Rail Chief Executive Officer Paul Scurrah said the quiet carriages had been a huge success with customers wanting to travel in peace and quiet.

"Customers travelling in the quiet carriages are asked to refrain from having loud conversations, talking on their mobile phone or listening to loud musical devices," Mr Scurrah said.

"The front and back carriage of every train will now be a designated quiet zone where customers can read a book, do a crossword, or simply sit back and relax."

Mr Scurrah said signage and posters will be displayed on board trains to educate customers of the changes to the quiet carriage concept.

"We expect there will be a period of adjustment for customers to learn the new system of having two quiet carriage zones," Mr Scurrah said.

"We will be making the occasional on board announcement as well as attempts to educate customers of the changes at stations before they jump on a train.

"While there will not be any penalty for breaching the quiet carriage rules, we would hope all our customers will respect their fellow commuters who want to take advantage of it."

The quiet carriage changes will begin from 24 November 2010.

Minister for Transport
The Honourable Rachel Nolan
23/11/2010
QUIET CARRIAGES HERE TO STAY

ozbob

Minister for Transport
The Honourable Rachel Nolan
23/11/2010

QUIET CARRIAGES HERE TO STAY

In an Australian-first, Queensland Rail 'quiet carriages' will become permanent on every train across the City network following overwhelming customer support during a three-month trial.

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan said not only was the initiative here to stay, but the quiet zones would be doubled to include the front and back carriage of every service.

"Hundreds of customers have been loud and clear, they want the quiet carriages permanently, and I am pleased to announce they are here to stay," Ms Nolan said.

"There has been overwhelming positive feedback to State Government, including calls to increase the quiet zones, which is why we have doubled the number of quiet carriages.

"Since the trial began in August there has been huge interest from right around the country regarding the concept. Queensland is leading the way in providing excellent customer service for the travelling public."

Queensland Rail Chief Executive Officer Paul Scurrah said the quiet carriages had been a huge success with customers wanting to travel in peace and quiet.

"Customers travelling in the quiet carriages are asked to refrain from having loud conversations, talking on their mobile phone or listening to loud musical devices," Mr Scurrah said.

"The front and back carriage of every train will now be a designated quiet zone where customers can read a book, do a crossword, or simply sit back and relax."

Mr Scurrah said signage and posters will be displayed on board trains to educate customers of the changes to the quiet carriage concept.

"We expect there will be a period of adjustment for customers to learn the new system of having two quiet carriage zones," Mr Scurrah said.

"We will be making the occasional on board announcement as well as attempts to educate customers of the changes at stations before they jump on a train.

"While there will not be any penalty for breaching the quiet carriage rules, we would hope all our customers will respect their fellow commuters who want to take advantage of it."

The quiet carriage changes will begin from 24 November 2010.

==============================================================

Fares_Fair

Quote from: Fares_Fair on November 23, 2010, 09:06:59 AM
My source tells me that there will be 2 quiet cars per 6 carriage train service implemented,
and they will be the 2nd and the 5th carriage. Not sure why the change of carriage.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.

I think I need a new source ....  :-r
Have we got a muffled laugh icon here Bob ?

Regards,
Fares_Fair
Regards,
Fares_Fair

somebody

They still haven't explained the situation for a 3 car service.  Only the middle car isn't quiet?

I also forsee a headache for marshalling, as the former end cars cannot become the middle cars.

🡱 🡳