• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Article: Young Steering Clear of Cars

Started by Golliwog, July 28, 2010, 20:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golliwog

Courier Mail, Wednesday July 28, 2010, pg 25
Brian Williams
Environment Reporter

Twice as many younger Brisbane residents use public transport than middle-aged people.

Women also are more likely to use public transport.

Statistics bureua research has found that 54 per cent of Brisbane residents aged 18 to 24 used public transport compared with 25.8 per cent in the 35 to 44 year age group.

The bureau surveyed people in October last year, finding that 509,500 people aged 18 and over used public transport in the previous month.

This represented 35 per cent of adults.

Of the 509,500 people using public transport, 55 per cent were women and 45 per cent were men.

The bureau found transport usage was 54 per cent in the city's inner ring, compared with 36 per cent in outer areas.

It said the main reason for people using public transport was that it was more convenient than their own.

Other lesser reasons were that travellers had no private transport and that the public option was cheaper.

Based on Australian Greenhous Office information, driving a car an average of 50km a day contributes up to 3.8 tonnes of greenhouse gases, particulates and smog-causing pollutants annually.

It also leads to poor quality air and causes respiratory health problems.

Each busload of commuters takes about 50 cars off the road and each full train takes about 600 cars off the road.

Queensland Conservation Council co-ordinator Toby Hutcheon said it was encouraging to see so many youn people using public transport.

But it highlighted the challenge for authorities to make other age groups aware of the benefits of public transport through better services and keeping prices down.

"Our view is that public transport should become the major mode of transport in (Brisbane) by 2020," he said.

"That is to say, more journeys should be made by public transport than cars."

Mr Hutcheon said many older residents did not realise the most effective way they could reduce their personal greenhouse gas impact was to take public transport.

"There's a message in these figures for civic leaders like Lord Mayor Campbell Newman," he said. "With all the roads and tunnelling in Brisbane lately, opportunities have been missed to make these tunnels available to public transport and that should have been a prerequisite."
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#Metro

TransLink should be doing or contracting research like this out, not the ABS. Time to get proactive and do market research, target groups with PT, go on aggressive marketing and strategic service improvements.

PS: What happened to that TL survey? Where are the results for that?
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Golliwog

I would actually prefer Translink spent all its money on PT infrastructure and funding new buses/trains/ferries as well as to increasing service frequencies. TL is not a research body!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#Metro

QuoteI would actually prefer Translink spent all its money on PT infrastructure and funding new buses/trains/ferries as well as to increasing service frequencies. TL is not a research body!

No I agree it isn't, but it does not mean that is should do none. A company selling hair shampoo or fast food or a party running in an election isn't a research body either, but they rely very heavily on it. Focus groups, consultations, surveys and CRGs all fall under this banner.

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Golliwog

Yes, but you wouldn't be getting results such as those in the article from CRG's and consultations. They would get practical information from the systems users about what they do and don't like and what new services they might like implemented. I can't see Translink making great use of imformation regarding the gender split of its users.

ButFli

No surprises here. The young are less likely to be able to afford a car (or be licensed to drive one) and are more likely to be heading to a place where PT usage is common - school or uni. They are also more likely to be doing some drinking so car usage won't be an option and less likely to be ferrying a car load of kids around. Women are more likely work in an office job in the CBD compared to men who are more likely to have a job that could take them anywhere like a tradie.

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

somebody

I've noticed a lot of women don't like to use PT, but I guess ButFli's point may counteract that one.  Seems using PT causes "status anxiety".

Golliwog

Yes, I think it would also be interesting to not just know who is using public transport, but WHY they use it. Are the younger people only using it because they can't park the car at uni, etc.

ButFli

Quote from: somebody on July 29, 2010, 07:39:02 AM
I've noticed a lot of women don't like to use PT, but I guess ButFli's point may counteract that one.  Seems using PT causes "status anxiety".

I can't say I've noticed that. If anything I find it is men who are the ones less likely to use PT because of status anxiety. A lot of men have a very strong link between their ego and their car.

Golliwog

I'm not sure is "ego" is the right word there ;)

🡱 🡳