• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Cleveland Surface Bus-Rail interchange

Started by #Metro, July 19, 2010, 18:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

#Metro

The cars are closer to the railway station than the buses are. The shelter is tiny, and the car park is full.
Idea:
Make a proper bus interchange directly next to the station by resuming car parks. Extend the shelter to cover people from the rain.
High frequency feeder buses.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

somebody

Nice idea, but political suicide.  Cleveland isn't really that useful for bus/rail interchange - it is just as quick and more convenient to stay on the bus the whole way.

#Metro

Nice idea, but political suicide.  Cleveland isn't really that useful for bus/rail interchange - it is just as quick and more convenient to stay on the bus the whole way.

But Cleveland already has a bus-rail interchange (a small one, in need of an upgrade).
All I'm suggesting is a swap- put the bus-rail interchange with decent shelter right next to the station, in what is currently the (very full) car park (erase car park lines, spray down new ones) and that's it.

Its cheap, and hardly political suicide. Why should cars get a closer, more convenient park spot near the station while public transport passengers have to walk through a sea of cars and under a small shelter for their bus?
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

somebody

Can you still maintain the size of the carpark?  In Brissie, no politician can withstand suggesting a reduction in car parking.

#Metro

QuoteCan you still maintain the size of the carpark?  In Brissie, no politician can withstand suggesting a reduction in car parking.

I think you can. It's just a land swap to bring the buses closer to the station.
Buses also carry more people for the amount of bitumen area they take up.
And its not in Brisbane, IIRC, Cleveland is part of Redlands Shire Council.
Small improvements like this all over the network, together, can have a big impact.

somebody

Quote from: tramtrain on July 20, 2010, 11:45:54 AM
QuoteCan you still maintain the size of the carpark?  In Brissie, no politician can withstand suggesting a reduction in car parking.

I think you can. It's just a land swap to bring the buses closer to the station.
Buses also carry more people for the amount of bitumen area they take up.
And its not in Brisbane, IIRC, Cleveland is part of Redlands Shire Council.
Small improvements like this all over the network, together, can have a big impact.
It may be Redlands, but I can't accept the notion that Greater Brisbane ends at the BCC boundary.

Ok, if you can maintain the number of car parks, people may tolerate some inconvenience during construction.

#Metro

QuoteIt may be Redlands, but I can't accept the notion that Greater Brisbane ends at the BCC boundary.

I agree. I've always believed that Brisbane sprawls beyond the BCC boundaries.
Which is why public takeover of BT is a good idea IMHO.

Ok, if you can maintain the number of car parks, people may tolerate some inconvenience during construction.
I'm sure it will be well worthwhile. I'm looking at the bus-rail timetables for this area, and they are shocking!
If anyone thinks Brisbane PT is bad, spare a thought for the people who live in this area.  :o

🡱 🡳