• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Adelaide Street Bridge

Started by #Metro, April 28, 2010, 16:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

#Metro

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

O_128

Sigh why couldn't KGS of worked out like that, also how interesting to see a proposal for a building where the current south brisbane carpark is :-[
"Where else but Queensland?"

#Metro

If you look closely, it has a CityCat Stop at the Adelaide Street Side of the busway.
Transfer to busway, citycat Light Rail or walk.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Jon Bryant

Dear RBOT

Unfortunately due to Council having to prop up Clem 7 and do a make over on the Northern Link to sell it to the people, we can not afford to complete this "nice to have" piece of public transport infrastructure. 

Yours

The Lord Mayor

#Metro

How serious is the situation at Cultural Centre?
Three years ago, the Lord Mayor's Mass Transit report warned that the SE Busway would be reaching capacity at under the current operational philosophy. The suggestion was to increase the size of the buses to bi-arctics or super-buses.
Now it is apparent (but not confirmed) that maybe NO bi-arctics carrying 180 passengers can use the SE busway due to design. And bi-arctics, due to their size blocking more than one bus bay might actually reduce busway capacity. Is this true?

My questions are:

1. Why are there not more superbuses (like the logan buses co one where 112 passengers can fit on and it has 3 doors) and arctics?

2. The BCC cannot change its fleet overnight and replacement would be costly as most of the buses are almost brand new off the production line - so what should happen?

verbatim9

That second mass transit crossing is an excellent idea and should be implemented as soon as possible to alleviate the congestion of the current crossing and the queuing at cultural centre.

O_128

Quote from: verbatim9 on April 28, 2010, 20:58:43 PM
That second mass transit crossing is an excellent idea and should be implemented as soon as possible to alleviate the congestion of the current crossing and the queuing at cultural centre.

you have to wonder why this didnt get preference over the go-between bridge
"Where else but Queensland?"

#Metro

I'm sure that there is "no money for it".
But there would be 2 billion for a North Link Tunnel

Probably cost $79 million based on the Mass Transit Report (2007). Add embellishments and it would be $100 million or so.
Quite affordable. I just hope that any new Cultural Centre is 2 lanes all the way across the Bridge in each direction- so four lanes for buses minimum. Cyclists should get exclusive lanes separate from pedestrians too.

I would even DONATE a bit of my measly cash to get this built. Maybe artists like Banksy could spray paint artwork on selected areas.

somebody

Or you could route more buses over the Captain Cook Bridge.  Cost <$0.  (Why less than zero?  Because it's a quicker route that way.)

#Metro

Captain Cook Bridge needs bus lanes.
Not all routes can go over the Captain Cook Bridge- buses will always need to interchange at Cultural Centre as that is where the demand is.

Elizabeth Street is already comparably congested as it is- handling a similar amount of buses as the Cultural Centre does in peak hour.

somebody

Quote from: tramtrain on April 29, 2010, 09:33:32 AM
Captain Cook Bridge needs bus lanes.
Not all routes can go over the Captain Cook Bridge- buses will always need to interchange at Cultural Centre as that is where the demand is.
That's correct, but there doesn't need to be a bus every 20 seconds through the Cultural Centre

Quote from: tramtrain on April 29, 2010, 09:33:32 AM
Elizabeth Street is already comparably congested as it is- handling a similar amount of buses as the Cultural Centre does in peak hour.
Connecting the Cultural Centre and Elizabeth St is illogical.

#Metro

Which routes should go over the Captain Cook Bridge which currently go through Cultural Centre?
I wasn't suggesting connecting Elizabeth Street and Cultural Centre- I was saying that both handled very similar amounts of bus traffic already, so relief might not be as big as is hoped.

Routes 108, 107 and 105 connect Cultural Centre to Elizabeth St BTW.

somebody

Quote from: tramtrain on April 29, 2010, 10:00:52 AM
Which routes should go over the Captain Cook Bridge which currently go through Cultural Centre?
I wasn't suggesting connecting Elizabeth Street and Cultural Centre- I was saying that both handled very similar amounts of bus traffic already, so relief might not be as big as is hoped.

Routes 108, 107 and 105 connect Cultural Centre to Elizabeth St BTW.
130, 140, 150, 555 for a start.  Probably add a stop at Buranda for 130/140/150 to allow an easier interchange.  I know you weren't suggesting connecting CC & Eliz St, and that it's the current situation, but I think it's stupid.  Removing this connection frees up Elizabeth St for more buses over the Captain Cook Bridge as well as reducing the number of steps in the traffic light cycle outside QSBS and presumably traffic congestion there (both bus and regular).

dwb

I think TL should give up on the idea of routing everything through Mater, South Bank and Cultural Centre.

Even if they build all over Vic Bridge and an Adelaide St Bridge there'd still be major issues when you consider the growth in passengers and vehicles.

The best approach would be to skip those stations altogether and 'cross' the river near the SE Freeway/Cpt Cook bridge.

🡱 🡳