• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Bus lanes - where?

Started by ozbob, March 27, 2010, 16:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Where do you think specifically bus lanes should be added to the road network?

An expansion of bus lanes to give bus priority will improve public transport.

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

somebody

Kelvin Grove Rd inbound - and upgrade the outbound lane
Coro inbound
Mains Rd outbound from where the 3rd lane is added - and upgrade the inbound lane
Lutwyche Rd/Gympie outbound - and upgrade and extend the inbound lane

Transit lanes:
Old Cleveland Rd
Moggill Rd
Coro outbound

My thinking is that a single traffic lane isn't enough to leave for general traffic here.  It's not going to happen.

#Metro

Riverside Expressway
Something like around 10 000 PT passengers use the Captain Cook Bridge.
A bus or T3 lane on the far left would really help.

Gympie Road from RBWH to Chermside (Interim)
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Jon Bryant

As long as there is 2 lanes then it is far game for a bus lane.  So add Creek Road, Ipswich Road, Mains Road (Sunnybank Hills), Wynnum Road, Kessels Rd, Beaudesert Rd, Moggill Rd, Waterworks Road (currently a t3), South Pine Rd, Stafford Road, Sandgate Road, Rode Road, Webster Road, ..... and that is Inner Brisbane.

#Metro

I'd really love to hear from some regional voices- people in Toowoomba, Ipswich, Townsville...
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ButFli

Adelaide St should be made bus-only or at least find a way of enforceing the Local Traffic Only rule.

somebody

Quote from: ButFli on March 31, 2010, 23:43:39 PM
Adelaide St should be made bus-only or at least find a way of enforceing the Local Traffic Only rule.
There was at one time a proposal that local traffic would be one way only.  That might have helped.

stephenk

Kelvin Grove & Enoggera Rd.
Riverside expressway, but not if it makes exits dangerous (i.e. cars turning off across bus lane).
Gympie Rd north of current Northern Busway extension.
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2007 - 7tph
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2010 - 4tph
* departures from Central between 16:30 and 17:30.

Golliwog

I always thought that putting buslanes across the Storey Bridge would be a good idea. They could also be extended straight down main road to Woolongabba busway station. This would give priority to eastern suburbs buses, plus could allow some routes to be changed to access the other end of the city first rather than all busway buses coming from the south.

Of course, given that the Clem 7 has just opened, if they did this there would be scandals claiming this was a tunnel funnel.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Golliwog

Oh, and I think it should go without saying that all the major roads should have bus lanes, plus upgraded bus frequency/capacity to make it worth it. Yes the drivers will whinge and moan, but with the increased frequency/capacity they should hopefully get the hint and try catching a bus for once. Although, the generally dodgey local/feeder services would still be a deterant.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#Metro

Its not a tunnel funnel because you have a choice:

* Drive a car and face marginal extra wait
* Drive a car and use the tunnel
* Take public transport
* Walk or Bicycle

Adding bus lanes and buses actually increases capacity of the road.

Of course this will all be glossed over, watch the road lobby and the like scream when bus lanes get put in!

Golliwog

Plus, I don't know if the demand is there or not, but if you had those bus lanes across, then I don't think it would be that hard to again extend route 66, but this time extend it across to make it a loop. This would have the bonus of already being a highish frequency route so would get decent use out of the bus lanes all day long.

somebody

Quote from: Golliwog on April 11, 2010, 09:36:17 AM
Plus, I don't know if the demand is there or not, but if you had those bus lanes across, then I don't think it would be that hard to again extend route 66, but this time extend it across to make it a loop. This would have the bonus of already being a highish frequency route so would get decent use out of the bus lanes all day long.
So make the 66 run back into the Valley?  I wouldn't support that.  The storey bridge idea might be useful for other reasons though.  Clearly the 230/235 would benefit from running that way rather than via South Bank.  Perhaps 210/212/215/220 too. 

I think the benefit from any changes to the Storey Bridge are dwarfed by the benefits from changes to the Captain Cook Bridge though.  Also, taking 1/3 of the road capacity seems to be harder than taking 1/4.  This seems pretty obvious.

Quote from: stephenk on April 01, 2010, 20:59:46 PM
Riverside expressway, but not if it makes exits dangerous (i.e. cars turning off across bus lane).
The way I'd handle this would be (heading north) a slight widenning in the road near Stanley St where the entrance ramp joins the freeway, and a just having the bus lane continuous from the busway into the left lane of the Captain Cook bridge until about 300m before the Margaret St ramp.  Would be a little difficult to get to Elizabeth St for the bus drivers, but they already have to change lanes somewhere on the freeway.  Heading south, one of the lanes of the Alice St ramp would need to be a bus lane, and it might be better to be the right lane.  Then just terminate the bus lane 300m before the exit.
It's not perfect, but it's not a perfect world.

Golliwog

Quote from: somebody on April 11, 2010, 09:55:25 AM
I think the benefit from any changes to the Storey Bridge are dwarfed by the benefits from changes to the Captain Cook Bridge though.  Also, taking 1/3 of the road capacity seems to be harder than taking 1/4.  This seems pretty obvious.

For sure thats true. But I think that more people would be opposed to the riverside expressway option as they would have the argument that it goes to the same part of town as the busway so why dont those bus's use it instead? And perhaps some of the bus's that use the CCB could be diverted to use the Storey bridge instead? Just a thought.

And with the 66 going through the valley, if it did I was always assuming there would be bus lanes right through. You couldn't do it any other way, the service would be unreliable. Again, just a thought.

🡱 🡳