• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Articles: Lord Mayor wants State Government to run buses

Started by ozbob, March 11, 2010, 03:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

From the Courier Mail click here!

Lord Mayor Campbell Newman wants State Government to run buses

QuoteLord Mayor Campbell Newman wants State Government to run buses

* by Natalie Gregg
   * March 10, 2010 11:00PM

LORD Mayor Campbell Newman wants the State Government to run Brisbane's bus network, which he says is being overcrowded by commuters who live outside the city.

Cr Newman said his "fair dinkum" offer was prompted by Transport Minister Rachel Nolan's claim it cost the council $60 million a year to run the buses – a figure he claims is inaccurate.

"It has become evident that council is not being acknowledged or treated like a legitimate partner in the delivery of public transport," Cr Newman has told the council.

Cr Newman said Brisbane ratepayers who contribute $384 each a year or $160 million to the city's transport, are unfairly subsidising the travel of other Queenslanders commuting into Brisbane.

He said rather than travel on overcrowded trains, people who live outside the city are driving to Brisbane bus stops to park and ride, such as at Eight Mile Plains.

"Buses . . . are full when they leave Eight Mile Plains and the problem is they go past all these stops down the line where Brisbane ratepayers – people who have contributed to the service – can't get on.

"It affects all wards in Brisbane and it's got to be dealt with – this inequity in funding has to stop."

The Lord Mayor has written a letter to Premier Anna Bligh offering the State Government the bus network in exchange for a yearly $60 million payment from the council.

But Ms Nolan yesterday rejected the mayor's offer and said the State Government had "no intention" of assuming responsibility for the city's buses.

"Currently the state subsidy stands at more than $91 million (and) the state has also contributed the majority of funding for the 500 new buses," Ms Nolan said.

Comments?
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

The Lord Mayor has raised a valid point.  Public transport no longer stops at BCC boundaries, either a better funding model or as the Lord Mayor suggests relieving council of the transport function and moving it to Government (viz. TransLink) where council boundaries are no longer a determinant in operation makes some sense?

Today is a very significant day in public transport in Brisbane.  Can they turn it around?

ozbob

From the Brisbanetimes click here!

I don't want your buses, Bligh tells Newman

QuoteI don't want your buses, Bligh tells Newman
TONY MOORE
March 11, 2010 - 5:00AM

Lord Mayor Campbell Newman has attempted to offload the responsibility of running Brisbane City Council's 1060-strong bus fleet to the State Government, after ongoing disputes over funding and the colour of the buses.

But the offer, which if accepted would have been a major shake-up in Brisbane's public transport network, was last night rejected by Transport Minister Rachel Nolan.

Cr Newman wrote to Premier Anna Bligh on Tuesday, offering to pay the State Government $60 million a year to run the system.

That followed a March 4 meeting between Cr Newman and Ms Nolan, in which the minister said the government's books showed it cost council about $60 million a year to run Brisbane's buses - a figure disputed by the Lord Mayor.

At that meeting, it is understood Ms Nolan also repeated a long-running request that Brisbane City Council paint all Council buses in Translink's green, orange and blue livery, which would have cost around $6 million - enough for 11 new buses.

That prompted the offer from the Lord Mayor, who insisted the buses should retain BCC's blue, yellow and white colours if they continued to be funded by the city's ratepayers.

In his letter to Ms Bligh, Cr Newman expressed concern that Brisbane City Council's role in providing public transport had not been properly acknowledged.

"Minister Nolan, in re-litigating the issue regarding livery emphasised to me her belief to that council was not a legitimate partner in the delivery of public transport," the letter says.

Cr Newman said the offer to have the State Government take over Brisbane's buses was "fair dinkum".

"We have put the bus system on the table," he said.

"We think we should be ... appropriately compensated for the residual value of some of those assets and we would like to retain control of the actual land that we have in the city, because it can be used for things other than bus depots."

But last night Ms Nolan said the government had rejected the Lord Mayor's offer.

"The Bligh Government will of course continue to work in partnership with the BCC, but has no intention of accepting the Mayor's proposal," Ms Nolan said in a statement.

Ms Nolan said the Queensland Government currently paid $91 million in a subsidy to Brisbane City Council and provided more money to help build new buses.

In broad terms, the State Government funds about 60 per cent of Brisbane City Council buses, while BCC funds the remaining 40 per cent.

However all bus fare revenue goes to the State Government-owned Translink.

The Lord Mayor said Brisbane city ratepayers effectively subsidised public transport on Brisbane's fringes, where other local councils did not invest in public transport.

"People from around the region have been using Brisbane's buses," Cr Newman said.

"For example I am confident that you will find - because of the overcrowded rail system from the Gold Coast - that people have been coming to the Eight Mile Plains bus station, parking in a 600-700 capacity car park down there and then catching buses which are full by the time they leave Eight Mile Plains," he said.

"The problem is they go past all these stops down the line where Brisbane ratepayers - people who have contributed to this service - can't get on."

Jon Bryant

Yet the Lord Mayor is more than happy to have billions spent on tunnels used by a majority of people who live outside of Brisbane.  Double standard.

curator49

I think if the State Government controlled the buses and the associated infrastructure there should be better co-ordination between road and rail. Busways, and bus tunnels are being decided on and built by the Council with no thought to heavy rail or other types of rail transport. I am also concerned that Cr Newman seems to be taking the attitude that City Council buses are "our buses for Brisbane City residents only". The buses and infrastructure should be available for all commuters and State Government should be involved more heavily than it appears to be in that planning and the operational processes.

ButFli

Cr Newman should make BCC bus fairs like University fees. Permanent residents get a subsidised rate but foreigners have to pay full fare.

#Metro

QuoteI think if the State Government controlled the buses and the associated infrastructure there should be better co-ordination between road and rail.
:-w

Translink should already have enough control. I am strongly against any move to sacrifice what is a very good bus service, perhaps the best in all of SEQ, in the hands of a new operator called Anna.

If funding is a problem, then buses should be paid a proper subsidy like the other operators to extend services outside of BCC boundaries. BT is supposed to be an arms length operator from the BCC...

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

somebody

I agree with the Lord Mayor.  The present arrangements, where the council pays for a bit and the state pays for a bit are unworkable, inequitable and certain to cause friction.  Not sure what other operators do.

johnnigh

Translink pays 60%, we ratepayers pay 40%. Translink gets the revenue, so the state only pays the net cost of 60% less farebox, if the Brisbane Times article is correct - oh, that was a journo's pitch wasn't it, so we have to wait on more reliable information.

Nonetheless, it does seem pretty illogically organised at the moment. A bit of serious economic and financial analysis is required.

Cheers, :bi

O_128

Quote from: johnnigh on March 11, 2010, 13:29:32 PM
Translink pays 60%, we ratepayers pay 40%. Translink gets the revenue, so the state only pays the net cost of 60% less farebox, if the Brisbane Times article is correct - oh, that was a journo's pitch wasn't it, so we have to wait on more reliable information.

Nonetheless, it does seem pretty illogically organised at the moment. A bit of serious economic and financial analysis is required.

Cheers, :bi
If the revenue was split 60/40 it would seem alot fairer. I like the idea of Brisbane buses taking over other areas. North moreton regional council would benefit hugely
"Where else but Queensland?"

#Metro

It should be funded just like any other operator...
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

City residents left high and dry as buses fly by

QuoteCity residents left high and dry as buses fly by
TONY MOORE
March 11, 2010 - 4:34PM

Six of Brisbane's top 10 congested bus routes come from the city's fringe, reinforcing Lord Mayor Campbell Newman's assertion that residents from outside the city are using bus services subsidised by local ratepayers.

The list of most crowded bus routes includes those from Chermside (333), Browns Plains (150), Drewdale (130), Eight Mile Plains (111), Browns Plains (140), Bracken Ridge (330), Aspley Hypermarket (345), the Gap (385) and Carindale (200).

Cr Newman today took aim at Translink's management after the state government rejected an offer from him to sell them the city's buses.

The Lord Mayor said council research showed people from neighbouring council areas were driving into Brisbane to catch buses, leaving them overcrowded by the time they get to inner suburbs.

"I can longer sit back and allow my ratepayers to be done over by Translink," Cr Newman said.

"There is a clear inequity in the way that public transport is funded.

"Particularly it is clear and stark that councils immediately adjacent to Brisbane City Council's local governmment area make no contribution towards bus and ferries.

"The irony then - and the sad sick irony then - is that these bus services leave the outskirts of Brisbane and then come in towards town full of passengers from these other areas."

Campbell Newman said he could not give an accurate picture of how many people from outside Brisbane used the bus fleet, subsidised by local ratepayers.

"I don't have that figure today," he said.

"But I can assure you that six of the 10 Buz routes that are overcrowded, are overcrowded at the periphery of Brisbane," he said.

"They are being filled up at Browns Plains, they are being filled up at Eight Mile Plains, they are being filled up at the northern outskirts of Brisbane to then drive past bus stations and bus stops where Brisbane ratepayers who have paid for the services are sitting waiting for the next bus."

The Lord Mayor said Translink needed to come up with a better funding model to help finance the ballooning need for buses in South East Queensland.

"I am not happy with Translink and I am not happy with the management of Translink," he said.

"And I am calling on them to either take over the bus system in the way that I have proposed to the Premier, or change their attitude."

The State Government believes it costs about $60 million to run the bus fleet, while Brisbane City Council argues it costs $160 million.

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan last night said Brisbane City Council received $91 million in subsidies.

And a Translink spokesperson said private bus operators provided 880 bus services into Brisbane carrying 25,000 people a day from neighbouring councils.

Cr Newman described it as "a disgrace" that Brisbane ratepayers paid $384 per rateable property as Brisbane's share of the cost, but were unable to find a seat on their own buses.

"We need to see other councils putting money on the table, or we need to see greater assistance for Brisbane ratepayers," he said.

"If the State believes the $60 million that the Minister is peddling, then let them take over the system.

"We will continue to make a contribution of $60 million a year and we will do that until other councils pay an equivalent amount per capita and then we will be happy with an appropriate formula to see the costs go up."

Gold Coast Council ratepayers pay $79 per rateable property, with the Sunshine Coast about $20 per rateable property.
A more detailed response is being sought from Translink.

ozbob

I managed to hear an interview with Lord Mayor Newman on ABC radio 612 Brisbane after the 5pm news.  The Lord Mayor highlighted a number of issues including problems from their perspective with TransLink.  I have never heard such a strong public statement before on these matters.  Be interesting to see if it is put up on the 612 blog.

STB

Hmm, interesting...

I would argue that Browns Plains is technically in the BCC area (right on the boundary), why should these residents who live around the boundary be attacked for filling up those services that have traditionally always been for them anyway?

With regards to those other areas, the eastern area, BT actually argued against route 250 been allowed to pick up/set down passengers at the cityxpress stops when it was first put in a while back, the idea behind it was to help BT with full buses by allowing half full services from the outer areas to pick up those passengers left behind by full BT 2xx services.  The 555 is another example of that for the southern areas, although the 55x services are generally quite full once they hit Eight Mile Plains anyway.

At the end of the day, a bus is a bus, if it's capable of picking up passengers, regardless if it's BT or a private operator and the service is scheduled to stop at that location, then the passenger has every right to pick any service they like, even if they live in the outer areas.

With regards to the colour of the buses, the BCC should get off it's high horse and get in line with the rest of the network, and stop bullying TL over service planning and other marketing.  End of story!

#Metro

QuoteSix of Brisbane's top 10 congested bus routes come from the city's fringe, reinforcing Lord Mayor Campbell Newman's assertion that residents from outside the city are using bus services subsidised by local ratepayers.

The list of most crowded bus routes includes those from Chermside (333), Browns Plains (150), Drewdale (130), Eight Mile Plains (111), Browns Plains (140), Bracken Ridge (330), Aspley Hypermarket (345), the Gap (385) and Carindale (200).

Light Rail anyone?  ::)

Buses just don't have the capacity and speed advantages that QR Citytrain has.
With patronage like that, you could turn them into light rail services which move more people more efficiently using less vehicles and less staff per person. Trams used to run in the median as far as Evans Rd Salisbury on the Southside.

Arctics will work well, but bi-artics characteristics will likely limit them to a busway only operation.
More rockets required as well.

:lo  A rail spur line could also do (brand new):
Altandi (current station)
Netting St Station
Helawell Road intersection
Sunnybank Hills Shoppingtown
Calamvale
Browns Plains
Boronia Heights
Park Ridge

Google Maps

Rail: light and heavy is the solution!

#Metro

QuoteAt the end of the day, a bus is a bus, if it's capable of picking up passengers, regardless if it's BT or a private operator and the service is scheduled to stop at that location, then the passenger has every right to pick any service they like, even if they live in the outer areas.

Agreed. This is a good idea. Buses should not be restricted because there is some imaginary but parochial "boundary" that BCC buses must not cross. Running separate 160, 111, 555 buses is a bit silly. They should all be combined into a high frequency, every 5 minutes- bi-arctic bus.

QuoteWith regards to the colour of the buses, the BCC should get off it's high horse and get in line with the rest of the network, and stop bullying TL over service planning and other marketing.  End of story!

I disagree with this.
I'd rather not blow up $6 million on a green and orange paint job and giant swirly logos covering half the bus when you could get more buses and trains that people can use. I think the latest bus improvements to the bus frequencies cost 30 million, and it was a lot of improvements...

STB

I'm talking about new buses fresh out of the workshops, not the existing ones.  Just as is happening with other operators who are gaining new buses with the TL logo.

It's more than just acknowledging who is purchasing/leasing the buses but also from a marketing perspective and ease confusion among tourists and those who ride the PT network once a year.  If every bus is looking the same, there is no question over if one is allowed to board that service over another service (BT over Logan City).

ozbob

Top 10 busiest bus routes

QuoteTop 10 busiest bus routes
March 11, 2010 - 4:27PM

Brisbane's top ten "full" buses (peak hours).

Coming into Brisbane's CBD.

1: Chermside (333) full by Lutwyche.

2: Browns Plains (150) full by Runcorn.

3: Drewdale (130) full by Sunnybank

4: 199 West End to New Farm

5: Carindale Heights (200) full by Coorparoo

6: Eight Mile Plains (111) full by Upper Mt Gravatt

7: Browns Plains (140) full by Sunnybank

8: Aspley Hypermarket (3450 Everton Park

9: Bracken Ridge (330) full by the Royal Brisbane Hospital

10: The Gap (385) full by Paddington.

ozbob

It is clear that we are in trouble transport wise.  Simply adding more and more buses won't do it.

Rail is capable of giving the bulk capacity that is needed now and for the future.  Bus has its place but there are simple capacity constraints that are starting to be reached.

Unless we see a dramatic turnaround in the provision of services, promised but not delivered,  more fare options on the go card, there is little doubt in my mind that the Government and TransLink may well disappear down the ballot box ..

Today is a very significant day for public transport in Brisbane.  The major service provider besides rail has clearly had enough. Can they turn it around?

longboi

I think the most equitable solution would be to require all local councils to contribute an equal share in PT funding.
This may be an unpopular move at first but I think the PT improvements made in local government regions outside the BCC area.

I'm also with STB - All buses used for urban services should be in TransLink livery, just like TransWA and Adelaide Metro.

#Metro

QuoteI think the most equitable solution would be to require all local councils to contribute an equal share in PT funding.
This may be an unpopular move at first but I think the PT improvements made in local government regions outside the BCC area.

This might be one way to do it. It might have to be proportionate though.
Transport levy on councils based on their population and mode share- both of which are easy to measure and will become even easier with the data capturing abilities built into the GoCard.

Alternatively, a modified land tax could do it... but controversial...
The further away, the more you pay as a %

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on March 11, 2010, 19:42:03 PM
Simply adding more and more buses won't do it.
I know you love rail, and don't like buses much (except when they are feeding rail), and you aren't the only that dislikes buses.  But, with appropriate bus priority and competent management, I'd have to ask why?

ozbob

Simply adding buses won't do it.  Self evident ...

Rail must be increased.  We have seen a major expansion of bus, the next phase will be rail.

I prefer mode fit for purpose.   I am in fact quite accepting of bus, the reality is bus is becoming overwhelmed mainly because a lack of pro-active rail development. 

longboi

Quote from: tramtrain on March 11, 2010, 20:27:07 PM
QuoteI think the most equitable solution would be to require all local councils to contribute an equal share in PT funding.

This might be one way to do it. It might have to be proportionate though.
Transport levy on councils based on their population and mode share- both of which are easy to measure and will become even easier with the data capturing abilities built into the GoCard.

Definately. Obviously the levy would be substantially less for, say, Somerset Region residents than Moreton Bay Region residents.

stephenk

Quote from: ozbob on March 11, 2010, 20:40:32 PM
Simply adding buses won't do it.  Self evident ...

Rail must be increased.  We have seen a major expansion of bus, the next phase will be rail.

I prefer mode fit for purpose.   I am in fact quite accepting of bus, the reality is bus is becoming overwhelmed mainly because a lack of pro-active rail development. 

To be honest, we need a ramp up of both bus and rail.
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2007 - 7tph
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2010 - 4tph
* departures from Central between 16:30 and 17:30.

ozbob

Indeed more buses needed, simply making the point that we actually need some more trains (services) as well!

#Metro

You can only go so far with the bus. Bus has had heaps of ramping up- new busways, new bus stations, new routes, increased frequency, BUZ, CityGlider, rocket buses every 5 minutes, cross town buses.

:lo and Trains? To be fair, we got rid of/refurbished 1979-1980s stock and got a few new ones. Richlands is coming along... but not too much in the way of new services or to areas outside the current network. And the frequency is terrible off peak!

I think the success of the Busways in Brisbane have taken the government by surprise and led to a situation where we have major problems- not from lack of service, or cost etc, but from sheer volume of use.

somebody

Well, we need better rail frequencies.  Otherwise we aren't getting our money's worth out of the fixed costs we pay just to keep the network functioning.

#Metro

The CBD space is also very limited. Cultural Centre is a constraint, traffic lights as is the Melbourne St Portal.
Personal correspondence from the ICRCS project team indicates that even with ICRCS the need for a metro will likely not be removed as population within the inner 5km increases.

Bigger buses will help for a time.  With LRT you can tack on a new module when demand hits to expand the capacity. With bus? You have to buy another one and pay for another operator. Bi-arctics are likely to be limited to the busway due to their handling characteristics. And once these buses reach the CBD? Imagine the view hundreds of biarctics parked all the way up Adelaide Street. Will there be space?

ICRCS will help but will not reach those outside the rail catchment area. A Sunnybank spur line (preferably Rail or possibly Busway) should be considered. Feeder buses could work to extend the time before new works, but eventually even they still require buses on roads- grade or lane separation will probably be needed.

This image is reproduced here for the purposes of research, study, criticism and review.
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:BASE::pc=PC_2698

ozbob

The free ride is over, government tells councils

The free ride is over, government tells councils
TONY MOORE
March 12, 2010 - 5:00AM

The Brisbane City Council and Queensland Government have agreed other councils should help fund South-East Queensland's public transport costs.

Local councils will be forced to pay for public transport for the first time after the State Government agreed Brisbane ratepayers were subsidising buses used by residents living outside the city.

Brisbane Lord Mayor Campbell Newman argued for a change in public transport funding after revealing six of Brisbane's top 10 congested bus routes come from the city's fringe.

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan told brisbanetimes.com.au last night there was merit in his Cr Newman's call for a new funding model.

"I completely agree with the Lord Mayor's point that local governments in South-East Queensland are now big enough and sustainable enough to start making a contribution to public transport," Ms Nolan said.

"They are not tiny little shires any more."

Cr Newman argued Brisbane's ratepayers were subsiding, to the tune of $384 per rateable property, people from outside Brisbane from using buses provided by the city's council.

The state government pays 100 per cent of bus funds in Logan, Ipswich, Moreton Bay and Redland councils, but residents from those areas also used Brisbane City Council services to travel to and from work.

Cr Newman yesterday said he wanted the State Government to take over running Brisbane's bus lines, or come up with a new funding model that included funds from neighbouring councils.

"We need to see other councils putting money on the table, or we need to see greater assistance for Brisbane ratepayers," he said.

Ms Nolan said it did not make sense that other councils contribute to buses in Brisbane City Council's area, but they could contribute to services in their own patches.

"In Ipswich and Redlands for example, the state [government] 100 per cent subsidises the buses and indeed the train," she said.

"So, I think those councils are now sufficiently financially mature that - if they are really serious about sustainability going forward - it is time that they did contribute to public transport."

Gold Coast City Council ($4.3 million) and Sunshine Coast ($164,000) had begun to make a contribution, she said.

"I agree with the Lord Mayor, that I would like to see a greater - or in some cases any - effort towards public transport in the south-east," Ms Nolan said.

Both Logan and Ipswich councils agreed with the push to broaden the funding base, but Logan said it was a wholly State Government responsibility.

Logan City Council deputy mayor Russell Luton said the city, south of Brisbane, did not believe it was a council's job to provide public transport.

"[We] support Campbell in his call for the state to takeover because for years we probably had the worst public transport situation in the world, if not in Australia,'' he said.

"And it is getting better, now that Translink is there. But it still requires a lot more more money and lot more co-ordination."

Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale said public transport needed to be addressed on a regional and not a council-by-council basis.

"It's got to be done on a South-East Queensland basis, like a partnership," he said.

"But Brisbane is a capital. You couldn't expect a city of 160,000 [like Ipswich] to back up [Cr Newman's] service."

Moreton Bay Regional Council Mayor Allan Sutherland said private bus lines provided services to their ratepayers, funded by Translink.

He said the Brisbane City Council-owned Brisbane Transport had won the contract to supply the services to his region north of Brisbane.

Cr Sutherland warned against blaming residents from outside of Brisbane for sponging off Brisbane ratepayers.

"If Campbell Newman has budgetary problems he shouldn't be blaming the residents of the Moreton Bay," he said.

curator49

I agree with Ozbob that adding more and more buses, especially in high density transport corridors will never cope and is not a long term solution.
Overcrowding will continue and people will continue to be left standing at bus stops as buses are full soon after their journey begins. Because of the lack of foresight of those elected to govern us and some of the beaurecrats we have missed opportunity after opportunity to put in place light rail (remember Briztram? - with much funding offered by the Federal Government at the time) and further infrastructure for more heavy rail to cope with the heavy loadings. The government is being continually reactive rather than proactive and they take too much notice of the vocal NIMBY crowd (who seem to have a greater tolerance for roads rather than rail lines) rather than making the hard decisions to build the necessary infrastructure. What does government do - it waits for the situation to become a crisis before spending any money. They then have to pay a premium price for construction thus wasting millions of dollars had the project been undertaken in a timely fashion without severe time constraints to get it in place and working.
Yes - I like rail transport. But there is also the fact that rail transport whether it be heavy rail or light rail has less dwell times to pick up and set down many more passengers than a bus network can cope with. Buses and busways are needed too. That is why I strongly advocate that the State Government should be responsible for all public transport (infrastructure and services) at least in the south-east corner of the state. The local government areas involved should also be involved in a consultative way BUT ultimately the State Government must take full responsibility.
The light rail system proposed from West End through the CBD to Newstead should have been built and probably by now would be getting extended to Hamilton - all high density housing areas (units/apartments and more proposed). Pollution through the city would be reduced without much of the foul smell of diesel fumes.
Likewise a rail tunnel under the river from Wooloongabba and an underground rail loop would greatly reduce the severe congestion through Central and Brunswick Street (sorry - Fortitude Valley) stations. Both the light and heavy rail solutions would greatly faciltate office workers getting to work and would allow shoppers to broaden their shopping experience across the Weste End/CBD/Fortitude Valley precincts.

#Metro

I like some local control because it puts huge pressure to improve services come election time.
Look at the BCC elections, they were all offering BUZ services or more buses and the greens offered a (very expensive) light rail plan.

If that were state gov, there is far less pressure as the whole council can get voted out over that issue. If it were state gov, one ministers' seat would be at stake at the most.

And what a surprise about the article this morning! That change is unbelieveably fast- took hours!
It has all the other Mayors running for cover this morning:

QuoteLogan City Council deputy mayor Russell Luton said the city, south of Brisbane, did not believe it was a council's job to provide public transport.

Why not?

Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale said public transport needed to be addressed on a regional and not a council-by-council basis.

The area of the councils are quite large.

QuoteMoreton Bay Regional Council Mayor Allan Sutherland said private bus lines provided services to their ratepayers, funded by Translink.

He said the Brisbane City Council-owned Brisbane Transport had won the contract to supply the services to his region north of Brisbane.

Cr Sutherland warned against blaming residents from outside of Brisbane for sponging off Brisbane ratepayers.

"If Campbell Newman has budgetary problems he shouldn't be blaming the residents of the Moreton Bay," he said

There are no budgetary problems. But there is a free-rider one...

Local areas pay contributions in Canada...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/the-free-ride-is-over-government-tells-councils-20100311-q1ju.html

Jon Bryant

Quote from: nikko on March 11, 2010, 20:13:48 PM
I think the most equitable solution would be to require all local councils to contribute an equal share in PT funding.

I'm also with STB - All buses used for urban services should be in TransLink livery, just like TransWA and Adelaide Metro.

Whilst I agree with the overall principle I do want a committment by the Lord Mayor that any saving in subsidies is not spent on his road tunnels.  Somehow I suspect he won't.  Would rather my rates continued to subsidies PT for other cities residents than subsidise a tunnel that will encourage them to drive through our City.   

justanotheruser

Quote from: ozbob on March 11, 2010, 04:11:33 AM
The Lord Mayor has raised a valid point.  Public transport no longer stops at BCC boundaries, either a better funding model or as the Lord Mayor suggests relieving council of the transport function and moving it to Government (viz. TransLink) where council boundaries are no longer a determinant in operation makes some sense?

Today is a very significant day in public transport in Brisbane.  Can they turn it around?
if Newman was serious about this he would just do it. There is nothing stopping him from doing one of two things. First he could arrange to contract out the service to private companies that already exist. If that is not possible then he can force the state government to step in. Councils only exist through an act of state parliament. If councils do not do their job then the state government has a legal responsibility to step in. So all Newman has to do is force the state government to step in and take over the buses by not doing a proper job. As Thomas Jefferson once said "The best way to repeal a bad law is to enforce it strictly".

#Metro

They should all just go on strike. :pr

But there has been a resolution on this now I think. Other councils will make a contribution I think.
But low on detail- sounds like a snap decision.

ozbob

From the Queensland Times click here!

Brisbane wants us to fund bus

http://media.apnonline.com.au/img/media/images/2010/03/12/IQT_13-03-2010_NEWS_02_bus13a_fct492x303_t325.jpg

One of Westside Bus Company's vehicles in Ipswich. Authorities are divided over whether money should go to improve Brisbane's buses or stay with local councils.

QuoteBrisbane wants us to fund bus

13th March 2010

BRISBANE Lord Mayor Campbell Newman wants Brisbane's neighbours to kick in money to prop up its inadequate bus system.

One of Westside Bus Company's vehicles in Ipswich. Authorities are divided over whether money should go to improve Brisbane's buses or stay with local councils.

BRISBANE Lord Mayor Campbell Newman wants Brisbane's neighbours to kick in money to prop up its inadequate bus system.

Cr Newman said it was "a disgrace" that Brisbane ratepayers paid $384 per rateable property to fund its bus service.

"Brisbane is in a ridiculous situation where ratepayers paid $160 million last year for a bus network that was being used by people from towns and cities that do not pay anything," Cr Newman said.

He said Gold Coast ratepayers paid $79 per rateable property for its bus fleet, while Moreton and Ipswich councils paid nothing.

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan agreed with council's putting money into bus services, but only to improve their local services.

"In Ipswich the Council makes no contribution to public transport and it is time for the big councils surrounding Brisbane to start making a contribution to their own the way Brisbane does to theirs," a spokeswoman said.

Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale said Ipswich ratepayers should only support its bus service if that meant it was improved.

"Ipswich people will contribute when public transport is part of a regional process," Cr Pisasale said.

"I want to see a plan of how bus services in Ipswich are going to be better. People don't mind paying as long as they get a better service."

He said it was time for bus services in south-east Queensland to transcend council boundaries and provide a regional bus network.

"At the moment the buses are stopping at the boundaries. That's not good for growth and that's not good for sharing the load in south-east Queensland," he said.

"What we have is not a public transport system. A public transport system would see a Brisbane bus coming to Ipswich where Ipswich people can catch it and where people from Karalee or Springfield can catch a bus."

Robert Dow from Rail Back on Track said councils should "make a proportionate contribution to TransLink".

"But if local councils are asked to put money into TransLink, we think that money should go into improving services in that council area," Mr Dow said.

"You can't expect for other councils to put money into the Brisbane Council area; that would be extraordinary."

"We think there should be one authority for south-east Queensland. TransLink doesn't seem to be doing that."

#Metro

QuoteOne of Westside Bus Company's vehicles in Ipswich. Authorities are divided over whether money should go to improve Brisbane's buses or stay with local councils.

It should be used to fund whatever service benefits those within the boundary.

Two options:

1) If a BCC bus crosses the boundary into another council's territory, for that portion that is outside the BCC area, the other council should fund it. As would be the case if it were a private operator doing the bus runs.

Logan City 555 happily picks up passengers all along the busway within BCC's area. The BCC should contribute to that service as most of it is within the BCC area.

2) Passenger origins (use go card data)
If we know where the passengers get on, we can tell whether they are BCC/other passengers. The split here could be the same as the split for funding.

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on March 11, 2010, 19:22:58 PM

Top 10 busiest bus routes

QuoteTop 10 busiest bus routes
March 11, 2010 - 4:27PM

Brisbane's top ten "full" buses (peak hours).

Coming into Brisbane's CBD.

1: Chermside (333) full by Lutwyche.

2: Browns Plains (150) full by Runcorn.

3: Drewdale (130) full by Sunnybank

4: 199 West End to New Farm

5: Carindale Heights (200) full by Coorparoo

6: Eight Mile Plains (111) full by Upper Mt Gravatt

7: Browns Plains (140) full by Sunnybank

8: Aspley Hypermarket (3450 Everton Park

9: Bracken Ridge (330) full by the Royal Brisbane Hospital

10: The Gap (385) full by Paddington.
This list is the complete list of BUZ routes except for the 444, and the only one which is not a BUZ is the 330 although that is running at BUZ frequency in the peak.

Does tend to show the argument that frequency will improve patronage.  Of course, all of these routes do have alternates by the time they are said to be full, at least in peak.

The surprising one, though, is the 111 which is said to be full by Upper Mt Gravatt.  That's only the second stop!  Checking the 162 timetable, it seems a bit random.  A 5 minute service is provide at some times, dropping back to 11 minutes at others.  That's probably the fix for that particular bus overcrowding issue.

#Metro

Thanks Somebody.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seem the ratepayers of Brisbane have been subsidising Translink for a while.
Good to hear that they will now pay fair shares...

It would be good if all those BUZ routes were superbus or light rail!
How many of those routes are soley Arctic buses? 199 isn't arctic and it should be.
All BUZ services should be artics.
:lo

I think routes 111 + 555 + 160 should be merged made artic/superbus only and the frequency increased to every 5 minutes for most of the day, and every 2 minutes during peak hour. Is this possible? That is going to be one busy busway...

#Metro

Does tend to show the argument that frequency will improve patronage.  Of course, all of these routes do have alternates by the time they are said to be full, at least in peak.

Rail patronage will go through the roof if we can get 15 minute off peak rail frequencies, even if that means the new services will travel shorter routes for some lines (i.e. terminating at Kuraby, terminating at Wynnum/Manly).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohring_effect

đŸĄ± 🡳