• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

City Glider

Started by ozbob, February 15, 2010, 06:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

#Metro

It will be a normal BCC bus dressed up in CityGlider livery. They might upgrade it if there are more people.

The residents are entitled to their view, but:

a) BCC compressed natural gas buses are some of the most quiet buses that money can buy.
Any quieter, and it would have to be a trolleybus with wires. Even trams make that ding-dink and metal swoosh sound.

b) Although the area is well served, this only applies to the 199 corridor. The Montague Rd corridor is virtually without CityCat and bus service. 192 simply does not have the frequency.

c) BUZ 199 carried 3.4 million passengers (numbers as of September 2009) and is the most well patronised route in Brisbane. During peak times it runs every 5 minutes.

d) Terminating the CityGlider at Victoria St would deny a connection to the CityCat. Victoria St is also half-way up Montague Rd. This would put more pressure on 199.

e) Bike lanes on Orleigh st could work

With buses running every 5 minutes, 199 + cityglider should be merged and converted to Budapest style trams.

Montague Road is wide enough for trams and possibly centre island platforms.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

:-w  now that is a tram!   ;D :tr
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

As of now nothing on the TransLink  web site (except for the timetable links I dug up) about City Glider.

There is a related notice here --> http://www.translink.com.au/servicechange.php?id=540

Must be hanging off for a big announcement or something ... :P

Sent TL a  tweet ..

Quote Robert_Dow

@TransLinkSEQ Is there going be an announcement about the City Glider? Starts Sunday? :-)

somebody

Yet another reason for Translink to hang their heads in shame.

ozbob

Nothing on the BCC site either ...  ???  (except for the old stuff here)

ozbob

Posted on behalf of ResGroup:

In response to your points:

a)The BCC compressed natural gas buses may well be some of the quietest available. That does not mean they are quiet by any stretch of the definition. This is a residential street of timber and tin homes. You have to realise there is nothing here, just a park (which will be affected by the noise) and a lot of public transport for a static population. It's residential.

b)The Montague Road corridor is virtually without CityCat and bus service, and it's virtually without people too. It is awaiting redevelopment, so much of it is vacant commercial space. None of these buses take on many people at the terminal at Hill End which is why we are advocating that the service starts where there is demand. It can be built into new development west of Montague Road near Vulture/ Victoria Streets.

c)Yes, the BUZ is awesome. We love public transport. 3.4 million on the 199 - great! But, the buses are leaving and arriving almost empty from Hill End. The only reason it is here is to link to the existing West End CityCat, which incidentally runs every 15 minutes at peak times.

d)Terminating the CityGlider at Victoria Street would not deny a connection. The Local Plan shows a NEW CityCat to be built west of Montague Road, West End, where the population is due to spike in future YEARS by up to 80 000. The existing CityCat at West End is obviously the first of the CityCats in this suburb, but it does not mean it is the best to build the CityGlider around.

e)Bike lanes would be good. Not sure how the thousands in the pelotons that use the street weekly would go single file, but sure.

So as to avoid any misconceptions, the Orleigh Street residents' group is pro public transport, pro trams (on Montague Road), pro progressive. We support the same interests you do. We believe there is a better way forward however and invite the BCC to show us the feasibility of beginning the CityGlider at Hill End.

ozbob

Welcome ResGroup!  Thanks for your post.

There is a bit of support for trams here ...  :)   :tr

ButFli

Near silent light rail is dangerous for pedestrians! They won't be able to hear the vehicles coming!

#Metro

The West End Cityglider was reccomended by the 2007 Lord Mayors Mass Transit Report.
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:BASE::pc=PC_2698

So as to avoid any misconceptions, the Orleigh Street residents' group is pro public transport, pro trams (on Montague Road), pro progressive. We support the same interests you do. We believe there is a better way forward however and invite the BCC to show us the feasibility of beginning the CityGlider at Hill End.

Have your group thought about raising your concerns with the Brisbane City Council or local councillor, Helen Abrahams? What was their response?

The other person you could contact would be Jane Prentice, Chair of the Active Transport Committee and probably the person in charge of BCC Transport Initatives such as CityGlider. http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:BASE::pc=PC_3021

Her phone number is 07 3407 0005

There is also the CityGlider Project Team:
For more information on the CityGlider bus service:

email the project team communityfeedback@bigpond.com
      fax the project team on 07 3391 0584

CityGlider Service
    Brisbane City Council
    Transport and Traffic Branch
    GPO Box 1434
    Brisbane Qld 4001

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Jon Bryant

I guess the turn around loop through residential streets is another feather in light rails cap.  A tram would arrive at the end of the route and the driver walk to the other end and drive off the other way.

Arnz

Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

ozbob

ozbob

Still nothing up front on our integrated transport provider's web site ...   ???

CityGlider?  Where are you?  Might be the refrain at TL ....

Thanks for the BCC update, yes it is happening:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:BASE::pc=PC_5855

QuoteCityGlider - bus rapid transit system

New CityGlider busAs part of Brisbane City Council's commitment to reduce traffic congestion, Council is improving public transport across the inner city by introducing the CityGlider bus rapid transit system.

From Sunday, 11 April you will see the new CityGlider buses providing high-frequency bus transport between the West End ferry terminal and the Teneriffe ferry terminal at Newstead, via the city and Fortitude Valley.

The first service will depart from Teneriffe Ferry at 10am on Sunday, 11 April with all services to be operating by 11.30am. All travel on CityGlider services will be free until 30 April.

ozbob

Posted on behalf of ResGroup

QuoteThe Lord Mayor may have recommended the CityGlider Bus Service in the 2007 Lord Mayors Mass Transit Report. What we are asking for is the feasibility study to show that there are passengers to support these buses leaving from Hill End as opposed to Victoria/Vulture Streets, West End.

Yes, we have been in contact with Helen Abrahams. Ms Abrahams successfully lobbied for the BCC to buy 1 Orleigh Street for $1.6 million in order to create the turning circle for the CityGlider. What we are asking is "Why is the CityGlider here in the first place?" Why isn't Council designing the right place for them from scratch in conjunction with demand, the needs of the new development west of Monatgue Road and the site of the new CityCat? Ms Abrahams is hardly going to go into battle for us as she's still popping corks over her roundabout win.

As for Cnr Prentice from the BCC, we've been promised a detailed response. We're STILL waiting.

Thank you for your suggestions however.

ozbob

CityGlider timetables click --> here!

ozbob

Think I will go in tomorrow and catch the first service run to Westend from the Teneriffe ferry terminal and back.

Be a little test of the bus substitution between Rosewood and Corinda as well ..

A post at ATDB suggests an official launch of sorts around 11am today.

:)

ozbob

http://www.translink.com.au/servicechange.php?id=539

QuoteCityGlider - effective 11 April 2010

From Sunday 11 April, TransLink and Brisbane City Council's new CityGlider bus service gives Brisbane residents easier and more frequent transport connections to get around the inner city ....

#Metro

Yes, we have been in contact with Helen Abrahams. Ms Abrahams successfully lobbied for the BCC to buy 1 Orleigh Street for $1.6 million in order to create the turning circle for the CityGlider. What we are asking is "Why is the CityGlider here in the first place?" Why isn't Council designing the right place for them from scratch in conjunction with demand, the needs of the new development west of Monatgue Road and the site of the new CityCat? Ms Abrahams is hardly going to go into battle for us as she's still popping corks over her roundabout win.

As for Cnr Prentice from the BCC, we've been promised a detailed response. We're STILL waiting.

Thank you for your suggestions however.

I don't know either as I don't have access to any of that stuff.

But there are BCC staff at the West End ferry stop/Orleigh St right now.
Perhaps you could take a walk out there and ask them?
Other than that, its just the project team's fax or e-mail, they don't have a phone number although perhaps you could ask to be put through to the Transport and Traffic Branch from the BCC's number.

The service starts tomorrow at 10am, so we'll see how it goes...

ozbob

Posted on behalf of ResGroup:

QuoteJust got off the inaugural CityGlider with the premier, Lord Mayor, media and my children. Please watch Channel 7 and 9 News tonight. Just finished the Press Conference and lobbied for the second CityCat to be built into the new infrastructure west of Montague Road and link the CityGlider to it in the future.

We love public transport, but let's get it right!

dwb

Note the update date on the page info?!
http://www.translink.com.au/servicechange.php?id=539

QuoteService update
Home > Buses/Trains/Ferries > Service updates > Service update
CityGlider - effective 11 April 2010

From Sunday 11 April, TransLink and Brisbane City Council's new CityGlider bus service gives Brisbane residents easier and more frequent transport connections to get around the inner city.

Where does it go?

View the CityGlider route map (PDF, 227KB).

How often does it run?

CityGlider is the highest frequency bus service in Brisbane and will operate every five minutes during peak and every 10 to 15 minutes off-peak. It will run from 5.30am to until 11.30pm Sunday to Thursday, and 24 hours Friday and Saturday - a first for Brisbane.

Is CityGlider a pre-paid service?

CityGlider is a pre-paid service and will offer rear door boarding as an added benefit for go card users. CityGlider is the first and only service to offer rear door boarding for go card users.

As CityGlider is a pre-paid only service, customers will need to have a valid go card or pre-purchased ticket to board. Find your nearest go card retailer. Regular TransLink fares apply.

Paper ticket holders will still need to board at the front of the bus so tickets can be validated.

CityGlider will be free until April 30.

What else do I need to know?

Travel on CityGlider is free until 30 April 2010. During the free travel period, do not touch on CityGlider services but please remember to touch on and touch off all regular services.

There will be minor changes to some bus stops at West End and Teneriffe ferry terminals (affecting the 199, 393 and 470) to enhance safety and better integrate with the new CityGlider service.

Affected timetables
No specific timetables are affected by this service change.

Last updated 2009-12-14

dwb

From a programming angle, given that I didn't think the Go card system knew what route you were on, I wonder how the programming is going to work for this. Surely if this Glider is just a dressed up normal bus with normal ticket machine from a technical angle all other buses would have to be the same.  Perhaps the bit below just means the driver will yell at you if you try to board a different bus at the back?

QuoteCityGlider is a pre-paid service and will offer rear door boarding as an added benefit for go card users. CityGlider is the first and only service to offer rear door boarding for go card users.

ozbob

With respect to the date pointed out by Dwb

Fascinating, it does seem that keeping 'customers' in loop is the absolute last consideration these days,   give 'em cake ...

:P

dwb

QuotePaper ticket holders will still need to board at the front of the bus so tickets can be validated

Good luck enforcing that!

dwb

I think it was a deliberate marketing strategy.

I happened to ride past the West End ferry terminal this morning and they were doing the media launch with the Lord Mayor and TV crews etc. Have to admit the bus looks pretty sharp, even if it is just a normal bus with advertising stuck all over it.

I think they went a little overboard with the yellow and blue paint on the gutters of the stop though :S

dwb

QuoteTravel on CityGlider is free until 30 April 2010. During the free travel period, do not touch on CityGlider services but please remember to touch on and touch off all regular services.

But if I'm transferring from one service to another it has to be in the same zone right?! So then surely I still need to touch on or off or I cop a double fare?

Does this mean that the TL contract for payment, and the technology won't be ready until April 30 and hence why its free?

I'll try touching on tomorrow if I ride it and let you know!

ozbob

QuoteI think it was a deliberate marketing strategy.

A poor one from my point of view.  Seems a few other folks think so too ...  Probably complicated by the back room polyticks as well.  

TransLink is failing badly in communication at many levels, this is just another IMHO.

ozbob

With respect to transfer:

Quoteyour journey must continue from within the same zone
your previous trip ended. If the stop is a dual zone
stop then you can continue from either zone

http://download.translink.com.au/go/091223_userguide.pdf  page 16

:is-

Footnote:  but anything is possible, one of our members has got to 8 transfers within the time limit ...

#Metro

QuotePerhaps the bit below just means the driver will yell at you if you try to board a different bus at the back?

Apparently illegal to do this on any other bus.

dwb

Also just noticed that the link to the map on the TL website isn't working.

ozbob

It is an important point raised by Dwb.  What if a person comes across on the Ferry to West End touches off (zone 2).  Joins the CityGlider bus (no touching) gets off at Adelaide St, goes to KGBS and boards a 66 to go to where-ever within the transfer time limit.  No continuation of journey, as now touching on again in zone 1.  Guess TL will say well you had a free trip anyway,  eat cake ..

ozbob

Quote from: dwb on April 10, 2010, 14:23:49 PM
Also just noticed that the link to the map on the TL website isn't working.

Yes,  expect they have forgot to make the document publicly available.  The same sort of thing happened with the 77 timetables.  I rang their media to alert them ...

I just tweeted them about this error.

dwb

Yep "free" as in, like, you pay twice.... a bit like fares are now the "same" as they were in 2007... oh sorry I mean single fares even though heaps of ppl bought dailies, weeklies, monthlies, ten trips, or periodicals, which are now all >40% or more expensive.

ozbob

The link --> http://www.translink.com.au/timetables/100411_cityglider.pdf is still dead ..

Maybe the CBD fault might wake them up from the twitter slumber ...

#Metro

QuoteYep "free" as in, like, you pay twice.... a bit like fares are now the "same" as they were in 2007... oh sorry I mean single fares even though heaps of ppl bought dailies, weeklies, monthlies, ten trips, or periodicals, which are now all >40% or more expensive.

Don't worry dwb.
Customer service was at 200% satisfaction*  ;)
Everything is fine fine fine :-c

*NB: this is satire!

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on April 10, 2010, 15:52:14 PM
The link --> http://www.translink.com.au/timetables/100411_cityglider.pdf is still dead ..

Maybe the CBD fault might wake them up from the twitter slumber ...

The problem with this error is that when they test internally it appears OK.  Boy did I have a hard time convincing them that the 77 timetables couldn't be publicly accessed.   Eventually it got sorted, but the failure to have the map right does not send a positive signal  - guess it is another signal fault ..

:P :lo

ozbob

Here is my plan for this morning, see how we go.

1. Leave home around 6.30am walk to Oxley rail station.

2. Rail Bus should be through some time after 7am to connect with the 7.42 out of Corinda, Roma St station 8.02am.

3. Walk to Adelaide St, catch 199 to Newstead.  Frequency is 15 minutes so wont be a long wait.

4. 10am first CityGlider bus to Westend.

Lets see how it all goes ..

=============

PS.  The map link on the TransLink site is still dead ...

ozbob

Now inbound on EMU22 a Fortitude Valley Extra (often  QR put on extras to fill in the one hour gaps Sunday morning when there is bus substitution  to give the punters a fighting chance in case of missed connections).

Left home 6.30am, arrived at Oxley rail 6.50am.  

Railbus 7.02am arrived Corinda 7.06.am.

Train, extra departed Corinda 7.13am  Indroo next! (work going on the points, ballast train down from Indroo main up).  The 'Valley Flyer'  desto is Brunswick St ..

Toowong, track vehicles up Toowong on main UP

Arrived Roma St platform 9 7.30am.

;)

ozbob

Now at Teneriffe ferry terminal,  just went for run across the river.   :bo

Saw one punter get  a high $ fare show on the card $64 or so ...

Next trip  the CityGlider bus.

ozbob

At 10am sharp we were off.  Nice new bus with the CityGlider livery and about 22 pax.  Nice run through to West End.  

Bus rapid transit the CityGlider isn't, but an improvement in mass transit options it is.  I can see some delays during the weekdays due to traffic.  Some parts of the route are in bus lanes with a few bus priority signals.

On the return trip from West End about 30 pax.  I got off at the Cultural Centre and got a few more photographs.  Headed back over the Kurilpa bridge to Roma St.  More than a few punters surprised it was free on the Glider.

All the Glider bus stops are new and bright, and the drivers have a nice Glider themed uniform.

Interesting morning, rail, ferry and bus, with a bit of active transport (walking) as well ... transport options in Brisbane are getting better. Go card worked as it should.

Crikey, I just noted an  IMU on the Gympie North service (3 car) and IMUs on a Gold Coast service ...  :)

ozbob

Photographs from the travels today ..

Corinda EMU22 lead unit on the 7.13 Fortitude Valley service (Brunswick St desto)

Go gates Roma St main array

Adelaide St CityGlider stop, adjacent to stop 20

Teneriffe CityGlider Stop

First CityGlider bus prior to departure at Teneriffe

Westend

Cultural Centre

CityCat from the Kurilpa Bridge

Photographs R Dow 11th April 2010

🡱 🡳