• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Taxis & Ridesharing - articles, discussion ...

Started by ozbob, January 10, 2010, 03:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Scott Emerson

Taxi scheme review underway

Thursday, October 11, 2012

An expert committee will be appointed to inform the Newman Government on the future of the taxi subsidy scheme.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said the Taxi Subsidy Scheme will be reviewed to ensure it continues to provide access to those who need it most and is sustainable.

"Invitations have been sent to around 20 disability and community groups who represent users of the scheme including the Queensland Blind Association, National Disability Services as well as taxi operators," Mr Emerson said.

"We are relying on advice from this panel of experts to review the scheme to ensure it meets the needs of users and remains affordable in the long term.

"Given the strained financial legacy left by Labor it is appropriate to review all programs, including the Taxi Subsidy Scheme.

"With the population aged over 75 expected to increase to 11.4 per cent by 2031 this scheme needs a long-term pathway.

"While an annual $400 cap was previously proposed, the panel will be asked to explore other viable options for the scheme going forward."

Mr Emerson said the review was even more important given a discrepancy found in initial advice about the scheme's membership growth.

"An evaluation of the scheme conducted in 2011 for the previous government showed a 98 per cent increase in membership," he said.

"I requested the Department to check the facts and upon further analysis it was confirmed the scheme had increased by 13 per cent.

"Discrepancies like this make it even more important to conduct a review to ensure we receive a clear and accurate picture of how the scheme works and ensure it continues.

The taxi subsidy scheme currently has:

·         51,000 members as part of the scheme

·         74 per cent of members over the age of 65

·         80 per cent of users spending less than $400 a year and 90 per cent of users spend less than $800 a year

·         an average trip subsidy of $8.20 and 1.85 million subsidised trips taken last year.

Outcomes of the review are due to be finalised by mid-2013.

[ENDS] 11 October 2012
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

From the Brisbanetimes click here!

Queensland taxi subsidy cap scrapped

QuoteQueensland taxi subsidy cap scrapped
October 11, 2012 - 11:51AM

Plans to cap Queensland's taxi subsidy scheme at $400 per person have been scrapped after it was revealed the figures it was based on were wrong.

The state government announced the measure in its budget last month, sparking anger among disability groups.

Transport Minister Scott Emerson said at the time that membership of the scheme had almost doubled since 2008, and the government would review its sustainability.

However Mr Emerson said today that membership had actually risen by 13 per cent, not 98 per cent.
Advertisement

The discrepancy was revealed when his department checked the figures contained in a report by the previous Labor government.

"While an annual $400 cap was previously proposed, the panel will be asked to explore other viable options for the scheme going forward," Mr Emerson said in a statement.

An expert panel will still review the taxi subsidy scheme.

Mr Emerson said its membership of 51,000 was expected to increase by 11 per cent in the next two decades and the scheme needed a "long-term pathway".

The result of the review is expected in the middle of next year.

AAP

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/queensland-taxi-subsidy-cap-scrapped-20121011-27eq3.html

ozbob

ozbob

Taxi audio proposal open for comment

A proposal to use audio recording in Queensland taxis is open for public comment.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said the addition of audio recordings was being considered as part of proposed changes to the Taxi Security Camera program.

"Audio is recorded in taxis in Western Australia, and in South Australia in emergency situations and it has been under consideration in Queensland since 2011," Mr Emerson said.

"I made it clear in May 2011 that the Privacy Commissioner's feedback needed to be incorporated into the report and the public given the opportunity to comment.

"While the use of audio recordings will further improve driver and passenger safety and complement video recordings, it's important that we consider feedback from passengers and drivers."

The proposal outlines the use of audio and video recordings on a 72-hour loop. The audio is stored as encrypted data which can only be decrypted with appropriate authorisation.

If this proposal is adopted all taxis fitted with the camera system must conspicuously display signs so passengers are aware image and audio recordings are being used.

The draft taxi security paper also includes moving to an open market for the supply of cameras and specification for systems.

"I welcome comments on this policy paper and encourage people to give us feedback to help ensure Queensland has a high-standard taxi security camera system moving forward," Mr Emerson said.

To view the policy paper and the Privacy Commissioner's feedback go to http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Business-industry/Taxi-and-limousine/Taxi-security-cameras/Taxi-Security-Camera-Program.aspx

[ENDS] 23 November 2012

ozbob

#Metro

Oh yes, fix up the taxi. I use taxis all the time to make connections that would otherwise be impossible by PT or to fill in the gaps (esp. cross town trips).

Melbourne's doing a trial where they use the taxi like a bus during nightclub hours http://www.taxi.vic.gov.au/passengers/taxi-passengers/cab-share
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

techblitz

nice......recently took a cab from city to salisbury 2amish cost 38 dollars
this would get it down to flat fare of 21.00 which is virtually half price. This is a great idea and fixes the ridiculous gap in charges between buses/train etc and taxis.

ozbob

ozbob

Minister for Tourism, Major Events, Small Business and the Commonwealth Games
The Honourable Jann Stuckey

Bid for better taxi service welcomed

Tourism Minister Jann Stuckey has congratulated the Queensland Taxi Council on its campaign to make the state's taxi service the world's best.

Ms Stuckey said taxi drivers are important tourism ambassadors and play a key role in the state's tourism industry.

Notably, the Taxi Council initiative is aimed at driver professional development and attracting more drivers from a broader cross-section of the community, including semi-retired people and women.

"Quite often, the first impression visitors to Queensland have is the taxi driver who takes them from the airport or bus or railway station to their accommodation," Ms Stuckey said.

"Right from the outset, any visitor to Queensland is forming their impression of our state.

"It isn't difficult to get off to a good start but it is very hard to correct a negative first impression.

"Without doubt, taxi drivers can add value to a visitor's experience through things like sharing personal knowledge and experiences, providing information on what to do and where to go, and supplying knowledge about the local area.

"We want Queensland to be number one again in the tourism stakes.

"To achieve this we must make sure that all visitors – whether they be from interstate or overseas – feel welcome and have an unforgettable Queensland experience.

"Taxi drivers all over our great state have a vital role to play in making that happen."

[ENDS] 05 March 2013

ozbob

Twitter

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow

Cheaper taxi fares, except on shorter trips: tribunal unveils cab pricing plan (Sydney) http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cheaper-taxi-fares-except-on-shorter-trips-tribunal-unveils-cab-pricing-plan-20130506-2j28s.html ... via @smh

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Taxi review stops rorting, delivers safety

The Newman Government will implement recommendations to target taxi fare rorting and improve safety, including recording audio inside vehicles.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Scott Emerson said new innovations would be implemented following public feedback and consultation with Queensland's privacy commissioner.

"Audio recording will act as a further deterrent to assaults against taxi drivers and passengers," Mr Emerson said.

"We won't stand for attacks on taxi drivers, but audio recordings and cameras can deter and ensure additional evidence when a crime is committed.

"This government is committed to providing all Queensland taxi drivers with a safe work environment, however, this must be balanced with a passenger's and taxi driver's right to privacy."

The captured data will be encrypted and automatically overwritten after a certain period – the same strict rules that apply for video recordings.

Queensland Taxi Council CEO Benjamin Wash welcomed the additional innovations.

"These measures bring Queensland taxis into line with safety innovations used across the world," Mr Wash said.

Mr Emerson said taxi fare over-charging will also be dealt with by making automated taximeters compulsory in Queensland taxis.

Queensland taxi meters are already partly automated, but overcharging can occur if a driver either deliberately or accidently sets the meter on an incorrect tariff or charges a passenger extra for loading or unloading luggage.

"Legislation is already in place to stop taxi operators or drivers from charging more than the allowable maximum fare, but incidences of overcharging can still occur," he said.

"When taximeters are automated, all parts of the fare will be recorded on the meter and the passenger will only pay the price that's displayed.

"This price will also be itemised into the various fare components on the trip receipt."

[ENDS] 9 July 2013

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Thomas Magor

I did a very quick search on RailBot and I couldn't find anyone discussing the relatively new UBER ridesharing service (https://www.uber.com) which has been operating in several major Australian cities for some months now, following large successes overseas. The service is based around a smartphone app which allows you to book a driver to come pick you up and take you from A to B, just like taxi might do, but at a fraction of the cost of a taxi. You might call it the public transport version of AirBnb. The drivers can be anyone, so long as they drive a car <9 years old, have a clean driving history and are appropriately insured. Drivers are also rated by other users, unlike regular taxi drivers, so you can know ahead of time if you'll be riding with someone who is incompetent. The system is cashless as all transactions are handled through the app and unlike regular taxis do not slam you with a 10% surcharge for using credit card. The app even has functionality to split bills between multiple users, which is often a pain when travelling in groups. The taxi industry are all up in arms about it because they perceive them to be a serious threat to their business model... and rightly so! It offers both a better deal for commuters and drivers alike, with many cab drivers opting to run an UBER operation on the side, or full-time, as they can make much more per journey than they do working under the draconian CabCharge system, even though the journey fares can be at times 40% less.

So what does RailBot think, could UBER also present a threat to public transport operators?

This article sums things up nicely:
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/no-tears-shed-for-backward-taxi-industry-20140424-37696.html
I am the continuator.

ozbob

Have not really looked at it yet.  However, when I was in Melbourne this week I managed to catch a discussion on the radio about this (3AW).  Apparently there are some legal issues which are causing concern and may ground it in Victoria.  Not sure how it goes here in Queensland or other Australian jurisdictions. 

As far as being a threat to PT operators I think not.  It is just other taxi like option.

ozbob

As if on que ...

Uh oh ...

Melbourne Age --> Uber 'ride-sharing' service under investigation as public warned off app

QuoteThe Victorian transport minister has warned off people from driving others around for a fee in their own car using a new "ride-sharing" feature in the smartphone app Uber.

Terry Mulder said on Friday the Victorian Taxi Services Commission was investigating Uber's ride-sharing practices. The sprouting service, called "low cost", is up to 50 per cent cheaper than a traditional taxi and is already gathering pace in Sydney.

"The TSC is currently investigating this practice and will take appropriate action if such activity is detected in Victoria," Mr Mulder's spokeswoman said. "All taxi and hire car drivers go through a rigorous accreditation process before they are allowed to drive a taxi or hire car – this is for both the safety of drivers and passengers ...

More --> http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/smartphone-apps/uber-ridesharing-service-under-investigation-as-public-warned-off-app-20140425-zqzed.html

aldonius

From that Age article:

QuoteIn Victoria, citizens providing taxi and hire car services without the appropriate accreditation are in breach of the Victorian Transport (Compliance and Miscellaneous) Act 1983. Fines of up to $2500 apply if illegal drivers are detected by the Taxi Services Commission, Mr Mulder's spokeswoman said.

Thomas Magor

This is quite ridiculous to be frank. The government is working hard to protect the interests of its corporate buddies. CabCharge surely have friends in high-up places poking and prodding at this.

I lived in Germany for sometime and regularly used a ride-sharing service called mitfahrgelegenheit which has operated unregulated for years without incident. It is a widely accepted form of transport in Europe and is even encouraged by government--think a more structured and, most importantly, safe version of looking up someone on GumTree to get a lift with. Users of mitfahr access even lower cost transport than those offered by Uber (e.g. I often did Koblenz to Frankfurt for ~10 euro). The level of security is equal to Uber as it shares a similar user-rating system, and the level of safety is ensured as Germany's rules for car registration/insurance/licensing are much stricter than here... but here in Australia, we can't have nice things. The regulators will probably get their way, and the public wont mind being treated like toddlers who can't assess risk using their own (and frankly better) tools.
I am the continuator.

#Metro

Taxi Services!

Overpriced
Drivers driving while on the phone to their buddies overseas! Madness!

I'm glad that Uber et al. are coming!

- Cheaper fares mean that everybody can buy more stuff with the money they have got. This may not be important to most of us, but for those with low wages, this matters, particularly if you are in an area with low or no PT.

- Cheaper fares also mean that it may be possible to align the PT network more towards a patronage role. For example, if TransLink partnered up with one of these Transportation Network Companies you could make it so that people could call up these vehicles like flexilink and pay a PT level fare. This is the kind of coverage service that TransLink has tried to develop with flexilink etc but has had not much success in.

- As someone who does not drive, I am reliant on Taxis when there are gaps in PT network coverage like late at night, when I have a missed connection, when I am running really late for the important appointment or meeting and so forth.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

James

I think it says it all when I prefer to walk from my friend's house in Yeronga to my residence in St Lucia compared to taking a taxi (at a cost of $30-$40). The walk is only around 1hr5min vs. 20 minute taxi trip anyway, and for my trouble I get some free exercise and $40 that I can spend elsewhere.

The cost of a taxi is extortionate, especially if catching one individually (like I often do). It would have to be >6 months since I went in to a taxi and paid for it under my own steam. Especially for people on low incomes, the cost is prohibitive, especially given the service is generally sub-par.

Bring UBER to Queensland! Bring UBER to Queensland!
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

#Metro

Some of the taxi driving is terrible! Many times the driver would have full length conversations with the phone while I was in the passenger seat. Other times they would ask very invasive questions about where I work, what I did etc. I hate that!

The worst time was when I was in a high maxi taxi and the driver was ogling some woman's bangers from his seat in the car pulled up next to us and going on at length about things I will not describe here! Very unprofessional!

The whole monopoly pricing for the entire industry is a joke! Imagine if someone passed a law saying "All hotels must charge the same price, the one listed on this sheet." NUTS!!

Thomas Magor

Quote from: James on April 26, 2014, 09:03:03 AM
Bring UBER to Queensland! Bring UBER to Queensland!

UBER has been operating in Brisbane for some months now, download the app and enjoy! Unfortunately, at this early stage UBER is only marginally cheaper than a TAXI, and the number of drivers is still relatively low (most drivers in Brisbane are actually professional cab drivers). In Sydney, however, it is really gaining popularity which means the fares there are often 40% cheaper than a taxi. So get on it! Be an early adopter.

Here is a VERY interesting read: http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/review/google_uber_investment_an_insight_QkLOj7X8Ae6CvSODgiIZbO

Google has invested a huge wad of cash into UBER ($258 million!), which the above article suggests is related to their interest in autonomous vehicle technology. The world in a few decades time might be one where no one owns a car, but instead orders an autonomous car to come pick them up whenever they want to go anywhere. No need for car parks. No need for petrol stations. Consume less fossil fuels. Safer cities. These kinds of services might act as the "feeder lines" into our more dedicated automated busways, lightrails and trains (if they still exist at all---I think they will).
I am the continuator.

ozbob

#Metro

QuoteQUEENSLAND taxi companies have slammed the idea of a ride-sharing app entering the Brisbane transport market.
The Uber app quietly started operations about three weeks ago, generously offering free rides to anyone who signed up to the platform.

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/taxi-companies-want-the-ridesharing-uber-app-banned-in-queensland/story-fnii5v6w-1226913831295

As someone who does not drive, it is important to have some kind of service available when public transport is not running (late at night, when you miss your connection, when you make a cross-town trip you can't do on PT).

I think Uber will be very useful because it also solves another problem - the flexible coverage problem and supply of PT in areas where there is low or isolated density. It could act as a flexilink style service if it were partnered with DTMR properly.

STB

Quote from: ozbob on May 09, 2014, 03:25:13 AM
Twitter

Adam Carey ‏@adamlcarey

Taxi Services Commission issues $1700 fines to Uber ride-sharing drivers, great story by @bengrubb http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/smartphone-apps/victoria-government-issues-1700-fines-to-uber-ridesharing-drivers-as-media-gaffe-surfaces-20140508-zr6yp.html ... via @theage

I say keep going despite the fines, innovation like this is why we are no longer using the horse and cart to get around.  Same story with digital currencies like Bitcoin, I'm all for it.  Old industries are only reacting because they are afraid of their bottom line, and Governments are only reacting because old industries are paying big dollars to Government to maintain their interests (eg: read all about Cabcharge and their financial influence on Government in Australia), along with Governments struggling to grasp an understanding of the innovation in the IT and Internet world in particular.

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Twitter

Robert Dow ‏@Robert_Dow

Interesting, QLD ok's Uber ride share, Vic and NSW crack down --> http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=10673.msg142360#msg142360 ... #qldpol #nswpol #vicpol #auspol

James

All the 'crackdown' is is the respective governments in those states bowing to the taxi lobby. It is absolutely nothing about driver safety, passenger safety, anything. And really given the allegations of assault and credit card skimming, I really don't trust the major taxi drivers any more than Uber ones. At least with Uber the money effortlessly comes out of your account (via PayPal).

James has used Uber a few times in the past few weeks (primary freebies, but some paid trips when there was no other PT option), and I have to say I am impressed. However, the coverage is pretty crappy in parts. I had a conversation with one driver who was talking about how a lot of drivers 'hover' in the one area as Uber assigns the closest driver. Consequently, the city/busy suburbs have drivers bunching everywhere, yet get out in to the suburbs and there's minimal/no coverage. I can attest to that - I tried catching Uber from St Lucia at 9pm on a Tuesday night - no service. However, this was a few weeks ago, and the amount of drivers for Uber has gone up significantly.

The savings aren't huge - generally only around 15% - but nevertheless, it is a saving. Being able to watch the cab approach by GPS is pretty good too. Finally, maybe it is just me, but there's something nice about getting into an individual's car, rather than some taxi which runs everywhere. Perhaps I'm just a little crazy or rapt by how fast travel by car when compared to all my travel by bus.

ozbob

Someone has tweeted me to suggest that Qld Govt has changed its position on Uber ..

" Rob, at a breakfast this morn Emerson said Uber is totally illegal in Qld. Cease and decist has been issued. Penalties 2 follow "

Oh .. wait ..

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Word on the steet is that the Qld Government might be back flipping on Uber ...

Time will tell ...

James

Quote from: ozbob on June 21, 2014, 10:33:08 AM
Word on the steet is that the Qld Government might be back flipping on Uber ...

Time will tell ...

Scott Emerson (who is also my local member) will be getting a very cranky email from a certain someone should a backflip on Uber occur... :bo

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> Brisbane no closer to Uber app approval

Brisbane commuters are no closer to accessing the ride-sharing app Uber.

QuoteBrisbane commuters are no closer to accessing the ride-sharing app Uber.

The Queensland government sent the Google backed service, which acts as an alternative taxi service by linking registered drivers offering cut priced fares with passengers via a smartphone app, a cease and desist letter last month.

Since then the company has been working with the transport department to try and find a solution.  But while Transport Minister Scott Emerson said the government "welcomed innovation in transport technologies", "passenger safety is always our first priority".

Any new entrant must meet the relevant transport legislation," Mr Emerson said in a statement.

"The department is working with Uber to outline what safety regulations it needs to operate in Queensland, such as driver authorisation, including detailed criminal history checks, vehicle standards, a taxi licence and proper insurance."

The Taxi Council Queensland has previously said it was "only fair" Uber operates within the existing taxi service regulations.

But Uber's head of public policy for the Asia Pacific region, Jordan Condo, said "innovation should be embraced with reasonable regulations" that promoted competition.

"Trying to regulate new technology with outdated regulations written for an out dated industry will have the opposite effect," he said.

"We would like Queensland government to consider anything that brings social and economic benefit to the city - riders save money, drivers make more money, and the city is applauded as one that celebrates innovation and forward-thinking business models."

uberX, the service which was to be offered in Brisbane, was limited to licensed drivers over 24 years old, with no criminal record.  Vehicles needed to be covered by comprehensive insurance, have at least four doors and manufactured after 2005.

The initiative has also met resistance in New South Wales.

🡱 🡳