• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Random observations around the network ...

Started by ozbob, November 18, 2009, 08:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewr

BCC bus was free today - the driver had "free" covers over all of the machine. I'm guessing it was part of the union action.
Mastodon: @andrew@bne.social

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

ozbob

achiruel

At Kingston station. Saw 751 heading up on the third road a few minutes ago, then return down the down. Some kind of testing? 🤔

ozbob

QPS were doing body searches, scans and bag searches on ' selected ' pax at Goodna railway station yesterday afternoon.

The NGRs I saw while waiting at the station for my wife to return from the City, were very dirty.
All need a wash.  Another sign of the rollingstock shortfall.

ozbob

andrewr

Caught the bus(es) from Griffith Nathan to Calamvale yesterday, departing at around 2:55. Ended up taking 1h15min to effectively travel 3 suburbs. The 140 didn't arrive when I got there (2 mins early) and Google ended up suggesting the 130 and walking for 25 minutes. The 130 was completely full, driver let me on but I was standing in the "no standing"/ area.

I think I'll ride my bike next time... it'll be way faster!

ozbob

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> 'How do I report a grub for dropping a banana peel on a seat?' $

QuoteQueensland Rail received more than 800 complaints last year about etiquette on trains, including one passenger dropping a banana peel on a seat, and others playing music, vaping or painting their nails.

More than 200 complaints by commuters related to alcohol, drugs or smoking, while 191 complained about noise in the quiet carriage, QR said.

Feet and bags on seats was the third-highest complaint, with 68 reporting they, or others, were unable to get a seat on their journey.

This was followed by more than 40 complaints about people playing music or using their devices loudly. ...

ozbob

ozbob

achiruel

MMY038 occupying the Up platform at Kingston. Just passed through on an Up Varsity Lakes service on the Down road.

tazzer9

What's the deal with the wagons that are de-railed at the points leading into the rail welding facility at yeerongpilly.
It's been there for a few weeks now.

Redrient

In a rare opportunity to see inside a closed regional railway station, we (at Southern Downs Steam Railway) opened up the full interior of Warwick Railway Station to visitors coming on a trip from Toowoomba today.

Some of these rooms are pretty much 'as-left' by Queensland Rail when they ceased operations at the station in (I think) 1996 (the last passenger train was discontinued in 1993).

Included is a diagram of the current building layout (1), Station Master's office (2), Number Taker's room (3) and Porters room (4). Much of the interior aesthetic is from the late 1960's, after a fire destroyed much of the interior in 1964. SDSR occupy the Parcels room and foyer/central entry, and use the Porters room for storage and the roster clerk room as a crew rest.

SDSR are planning some major renovations to give the heritage-listed station building new life and new purpose, so I made sure to take the opportunity to get a look around this historic building before what is planned to be quite a major redesign.

andrewr

QuoteMy morning Gold Coast train was cancelled. The next one in 30 minutes. Lots of high school students will be late for school today.
No point taking the 725 bus as it takes 54 minutes to go from Coomera to Helensvale vs 5 minutes by train. The TX7 bus is more direct, but it doesn't run that early, and it still takes 47 minutes.

https://mastodon.social/@tom_andraszek/112351064031248327

ozbob

Redrient

Over the May long weekend, I had a chance to crew Southern Downs Steam Railway's 3-day trip to Goondiwindi and Toobeah. It was great to finally get a chance to experience the QR South-Western Line in person.

The track is in somewhat of a slowly degrading condition, with maintenance at fairly low levels despite Watco running 2-3 grain trains per week typically consisting of 30-40 wagons. I did learn from some people more closely involved in grain operations that presently all Watco grain trains from the South-Western line are unloaded at the Port of Brisbane, and Pinkenba is primarily used for malted grain or only as overflow for regular wheat (but the latter is uncommon). Grain loading has been consolidated and appears to only really happen at Goondiwindi (both east and west) and Thallon, with other loaders such as Toobeah and Talwood seemingly out of use long-term. The Namoi siding into the cotton warehouses near Goondiwindi still exists, but as far as anyone knows it's not in use and no cotton is transported by rail.

Goondiwindi has a nice station building with extensive goods and provisioning yard, but it all was turned over to Aurizon in the privatisation, so unlike some other stations in the region which have come under the care and management of the community (e.g. like Stanthorpe) Goondiwindi remains hidden behind a big locked gate pretty much permanently.

I met a few genuine railway fans onboard including some current and former QR employees, and we had some good yarns about various QR-related topics, both historical and current, such as NGR wheel squeal, the current state of the Banyo Workshops/Yard and where you can still turn a locomotive on the SEQ network  ;D .

ozbob

achiruel

I miss the 3900/SX set combination. I remember there used to be a loco-hauled service back in the early '90s running express from Bowen Hills to Narangba. It would fly with a 3900 up front, often arriving Narangba several minutes ahead of schedule. I guess timetables weren't as closely adhered to back then.

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Ha ha ... long way to wheel a travel train trolley from Roma St to Goodna  :bg:

🡱 🡳