• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Random observations around the network ...

Started by ozbob, November 18, 2009, 08:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnigh

Yep, they'll use anything and everything to get that coal into the atmosphere!  :pr

Now that QR National is focussed on profit, will we see them being more demanding of the suburban network? ??? My guess is, look out for conflict...

Arnz

The 12:39pm Roma Street-Nambour non-toilet flyer commuters had a treat today when SMU285, coupled with SMU268 pulled in today to operate today's midday service.   As the midday service is usually 6-car EMUs with the odd older 6-car IMU from time to time, it's a refreshing change to see newer sets operate outside of peak-hr services to Nambour.
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

ozbob

Just heard EMU 29/78 has set off from town on a Gold Coast service,  lucky punters!

:co3
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

Sunbus610

Don't suppose anyone knows why the new bitumen crossing has been laid between Fortitude Valley and Bowen Hills station (below the Markwell Street overpass)? Obviously some major track and/or signal maintenance is on the cards around there soon.
Proud to be a Sunshine Coaster ..........

mufreight

There are a number of these crossings that hroad vehicles that are equiped with ave been constructed at various locations, some are bituminised and others are (temporary) gravel crossings.
It would seem that they are provided to enable easy access (to on track) for maintenence equipment to readily access the tracks as much of this equipment is mounted on road vehicles that are equiped with Hi Rail to enable them to operate on the actual rail tracks to carry out their maintenence or construction tasks.
Having not seen the one mentioned near Brunswick Street I would think that is its purpose also.

Arnz

235 and 237 now has PIDs/Destos/Comms installed.  Taking the AVAS enabled SMU2s count to 16. (with SMU239 currently up north for a complete refurb/repaint like 249).
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

Derwan

I was at Central around 11:40 today and all services were running on the mains (platforms 5 & 6 at Central).  Don't know why.

Anyway, while I was there, a RM pulled up to let some workers off:

Question for those in the know... do RM's have gears?  As it pulled away, it sounded like bus or something - with gears!
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

ozbob

ozbob

Jonno

Heard and saw a Steam Train running inbound on the Cleveland Line at Morningside last night around 10:30. It had illuminated passenger carriages.

O_128

Boom gate has been knocked out a crossing between wynnum  and wynnum north , trains still running
"Where else but Queensland?"

ozbob

Gailes station appears to have the wooden sleepers replaced over the weekend.

ozbob

Down Westlander (empty) 3.45am Darra/Oxley  (been a track closure Sherwood/Rosewood Sat Sun)

At BNE

Photographs R Dow 6th December 2010

ozbob

In bound ex Oxley 4.53pm EMU28, on the main down ..  probably because of the U2 concert?

Pax madly trying to dash from platform 2 Chelmer to 4 ...  makes you wonder why they do this (inflict musical platforms), and of course they did not wait for the pax on the sprint, hopeless hopeless QR ..

Pax at Indooropilly and Taringa, Toowong  on  platform 4,

About half full load of pax.  Still on  the main down through Indooroopilly.

Auchenflower ...  loading resembles an inbound morning peak!   :P

Milton ... masses of pax waiting to board , many getting off,  stupid stupid plan QR!

Score  1/10 ...

somebody

The idea of using the mains isn't that bad IMO, it makes it much easier at Milton to get to Suncorp, but the apparent lack of communication is something of a problem.

mufreight

The remote PA systems should have been used to advise passengers of the change of platforms sufficently in advance of the arrival of the trains to enable passengers to change platforms to join the services affected.
One for the head removal basket.

#Metro

Pax madly trying to dash from platform 2 Chelmer to 4 ...  makes you wonder why they do this (inflict musical platforms), and of course they did not wait for the pax on the sprint, hopeless hopeless QR ..

I don't think QR are allowed to hold trains up for people, except in exceptional circumstances.
A delayed train will spread delays all over the network.
I read something about this in the FOI complaints log for TransLink...
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Arnz

Off-Peak/Weekend Gold Coast, Rosewood and Sunshine Coast trains can be hold up/delayed for late-running connecting (TransLink) buses feeding off the more populated areas of the Coasts (or hinterland towns in the case of Rosewood).  It's a relic of the old "TrainLink" agreement.
Rgds,
Arnz

ozbob

Quote from: somebody on December 08, 2010, 17:17:58 PM
The idea of using the mains isn't that bad IMO, it makes it much easier at Milton to get to Suncorp, but the apparent lack of communication is something of a problem.

Yep, understand the ease for the punters for the concert BUT when they do this they need to sign / announce / but better still have staff on stations so that punters (regular commuters and infrequent travellers for the concert ) don't get jigged around. Also the risks of injury are much higher with the sort of thing observed at Chelmer.  Chelmer obviously no one knew, the other staffed stations fine. 

We often see pax stare in disbelief when switches made subs to mains etc. on the Ippy.  Been going on for years and just seems too hard to fix for some.

Waiting a little bit for the pax at Chelmer would not have hurt, particularly in view of the heavy loadings.  It just p%sses people off ...

ozbob

Quote from: tramtrain on December 08, 2010, 18:02:47 PM
Pax madly trying to dash from platform 2 Chelmer to 4 ...  makes you wonder why they do this (inflict musical platforms), and of course they did not wait for the pax on the sprint, hopeless hopeless QR ..

I don't think QR are allowed to hold trains up for people, except in exceptional circumstances.
A delayed train will spread delays all over the network.
I read something about this in the FOI complaints log for TransLink...

Under these circumstances it is clear that the pax were not informed. Waiting 30 secs is not going to matter one iota.  It is just an act of bastardry actually  IMHO not too.  Customer service I think not.  And besides it just encourages them to run and fall ...

One gent I know missed three successive Ipswich services because of a disability that impaired timely access, they kept changing platforms and he kept missing ...  this was over an hour and a half.  The station announcement systems are ramshackle at best, and many stations the PIDs are non existant or non functional ...

Stillwater

Happens at Nortgate also, from time to time, for those switching from the Sunshine Coast Line to the Shorncliffe services.  From memory, a bit of a lottery whether the Shorncliffe train will come in on platform 2 or 4.

Fridge

They need to wait on the Sunshine Coast because if they don't you are most likely have a 1 hour wait before the Railbus or next train arrives, the buses to the coast wait for the trains as well.

ozbob

Noted the 9.28pm Nambour service at Central last evening, new IMUs 178/182 from memory.  Good pax loadings too.

Stillwater

Caught this service about a week ago -- it had a burly security guard on board.  It was an uneventful trip to Nambour, and yes passenger numbers were good that night also.  (Maybe due to the fact that here is a two-hour gap from the 7.28pm service?)  Our security guard was joined by about two or three mates at Caboolture.  The number of security guards was not an indication of the unruly behaviour expected from passengers.  They had knocked off their working shift and were heading home to the Coast.  I felt a very protected little QR customer.

somebody

Quote from: Stillwater on December 08, 2010, 18:47:19 PM
Happens at Nortgate also, from time to time, for those switching from the Sunshine Coast Line to the Shorncliffe services.  From memory, a bit of a lottery whether the Shorncliffe train will come in on platform 2 or 4.

I think you are referring to the other direction.  It isn't possible for a Shorncliffe train to leave from platform 4, unless I'm mistaken.

Otto

STOP PRESS.....

The 'NEW' Airport roundabout opens on Saturday 11th Dec...

Well, It's been relocated to the intersection of the East West Art and Sandgate road.. Same setup as old Airport Roundabout with traffic lights but smaller !!

Be interesting on Monday Morning to see how it handles the traffic...
7 years at Bayside Buses
33 years at Transport for Brisbane
Retired and got bored.
1 year at Town and Country Coaches and having a ball !

somebody

Jonno

Quote from: Otto on December 10, 2010, 16:43:39 PM
STOP PRESS.....

Well, It's been relocated to the intersection of the East West Art and Sandgate road.. Same setup as old Airport Roundabout with traffic lights but smaller !!

Be interesting on Monday Morning to see how it handles the traffic...

It wont

Derwan

Quote from: Otto on December 10, 2010, 16:43:39 PM
STOP PRESS.....

This is temporary so that they can construct the overpass.  More details here:  http://www.brisconnections.com.au/Portals/0/docs/1124_101206_Changed%20traffic%20conditions%20Sandgate%20Rd_APPROVED.PDF

WTN

Ho ho ho! Meeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrry Christmas! Santa had the pleasure of driving the 175 outbound and welcoming passengers on the 6:38pm in Adelaide St.

Seriously, the driver was dressed in a full Santa costume - beard, hat, suit and boots! Only thing lacking was some decorations on the bus.

Much better than my trip to work on the same morning where I missed buses, had bus drivers getting lost/confused, and getting a fixed fare.
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

WTN

Santa was seen again in Adelaide St driving an outbound 131, this time fully decorated! How nice!
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

Arnz

G643 is Garden City's Christmas Bus this year.  Looks pretty good on the inside.
Rgds,
Arnz

ozbob

At Oxley platform one.  SMU 201 passed through down platform one, just came back through up.  Must be on route tuition today, Richlands here we come!

Down

Up

Photographs R Dow 20th December 2010

ozbob

Travelling to Ipswich onboard EMU 82, took particular note of all the new structures from Darra to Dinmore, foot bridges, road over bridges and highway upgrade. All have been built with clearances for future track amplification.  Quite noticeable when you look at the Gailes footbridge (another massive structure) from the train outbound.

Derwan

Central is getting new humongous ceiling fans on the platforms:

ozbob

Fares_Fair

I thought that they were installed so as to help dry off this area after rain has fallen.
It's always wet and slippery after the commuters shake off their umbrellas and walk in water onto the tiles.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Golliwog

Quote from: Fares_Fair on December 22, 2010, 21:16:48 PM
I thought that they were installed so as to help dry off this area after rain has fallen.
It's always wet and slippery after the commuters shake off their umbrellas and walk in water onto the tiles.

Regards,
Fares_Fair.
Or if you're on platform 3/4 from where the roof leaks.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

Departing Ferny Grove onboard EMU63, managed to get some nice photographs of IMU 178/179 at FG on an earlier service.  Must have bladder issues out here ....

:bo

Stillwater

Re IMU 178/179 at FG today (mmmmm, toilettes - in my best Homer Simpson voice), remember that QR has promised toilets on all Citytrains north of Caboolture by the middle of 2011.  Let's hope that the self imposed target date doesn't slip.

(edited imu number, original post typo)

🡱 🡳