• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Random observations around the network ...

Started by ozbob, November 18, 2009, 08:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golliwog

Catching train home on the FG line this afternoon (got to Ferny at 2.05pm) randomly right before Mitchelton switched tracks to pull in on platform 1, then just after leaving switched back so we were on platform 2 for Oxford Park. I couldn't see any reason, no train passed us and none was parked at Mitchie.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Derwan

They had a diesel hauling SX wagons as one of the Ekka trains today.

It sounds funny, but having a diesel running services offers a bit of nostalgia!

Edit:  Apparently it started out with a steam loco hauling the SX wagons, but it died before lunch time so the diesel took over.  The steam train is scheduled to run tomorrow (Sunday) and Wednesday as well.
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

Golliwog

Cool, I guess they must have remembered how many people were interested in the steam train when they had those training runs from Ipswich to Shorncliffe and back earlier this year. Not sure if I'm going this year, but an interesting train ride might take some of the sting out of the extra fare for the rail service to the Ekka.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

tronixstuff

Is it possible to just ride around the Exhibition loop without going to the show? Or can you walk from the 'arrival' to the 'departure' platform without buying an entry ticket?

Golliwog

Interesting idea. If you didn't have a go card and a TO came along most likely not, but if you did then I don't see a problem with it. Unless when you get to the Ekka they go along the train to make sure its empty or something. But even if that was the case, I'm sure you could tell a small white lie and say you got on the wrong train by mistake and you thought it was the Caboolture train or something. Which would be hard to believe if they're using a steam train, but might be worth a try   ;)

ozbob

Recently refurbished EMU02  UP Oxley

Photographs R Dow 8th August 2010
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ClintonL94

I sighted SMU 277 and 278 on a Ferny Grove service at Roma Street this afternoon. SMU 277 already has graffiti over the train..  :-\

Arnz

Boarding the afternoon Nambour service, I've noted IMU101 has the "new" directional stickers on the doors. (the same ones that can be found on the new MUs and refurbished MUs). 
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

Arnz

The ICE which was originally meant to do the Cooroy service yesturday (Wednesday Ekka Holiday) failed at Roma Street.  Then, SMU263/SMU267 which was on the Cooroy service was later pulled from service at Caboolture due to a train fault.  It was subsequently replaced with a EMU that was parked in the Caboolture yard.  

Double substitution for Landsborough/Nambour/Cooroy punters, that is double bad luck.
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

ozbob

Visitor through Oxley  RM 1901

Photographs R Dow 12th August 2010

ozbob

Down Westlander Darra

Photograph mufreight 12th August 2010

Mozz

Interesting situation on platform 5 at central this afternoon. The 3.05pm all stations to Ipswich train was on the platform. I arrived at around 3.07pm. Train was still on platform with around a Derwan scale of 2 passengers, lots of empty seats, and around 30 people on the platform some of which, including me trying to board but the doors would not open. More people kept trying to open the doors but they were locked shut.

Announcement over the station loudspeaker, to the effect that the train was about to leave, but it stayed there for another few minutes.

More people arriving on the platform, trying to board the train but the doors would not open.

People inside the train looked bemused, people on the platform trying to board were p%ssed  off.

Then station announcement that the next Redbank train would leave from platform 1.

Train finally left after being stationary and not able to be boarded around 3.12pm.

Then station announcement that the next Redbank train would leave from platform 2.

But no announcement about the all stations darra train which pulled up at 3.14pm.

Don't know what happened, maybe the ekka train services were causing chaos but not a high point in terms of customer service. I was only going to Oxley, so could catch the darra service or the redbank service. But of the 30 - 40 people on the platform who couldn't board the train some would have been going to stations past Redbank which meant their next train wouldn't be until 3.35pm.

From a customer service perspective, if a train is on the platform and is lightly loaded then the doors should be able to be opened right up to the point where it is about to leave, not locked shut sitting at a station for 5 or so minutes on the busiest station in the network.

ozbob

Daughter number one reported that the train she was onboard around 6pm was converted to an express Corinda to Redbank, necessitating herself and many other punters to abandon ship at Corinda.  Must have been a few disruptions all peak due to wind or something ...

WTN

Saw TOs with go card readers checking tickets on the Southbank inbound busway platform exit. It was during the morning peak. I never seen that happen before. They might assume everyone touched on and off, but what if a bus had faulty equipment?
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

Golliwog

I don't know about everyone else, but I haven't had any experience with go card readers on buses failing (or at least more than 1) for a long time now. Has the overall rate of machine failures dropped, or is it just I've been on the 'lucky' services?

ozbob

QuoteThey might assume everyone touched on and off, but what if a bus had faulty equipment?

No problem, just inform the TO of the situation.  Remember if you are not able to touch on that trip is free and don't touch off at the end of that trip.  If you are unable to touch off after touched on at the beginning of a trip, probably going to wear a fixed fare next time.  Contact TransLink or use the web based form for reimbursement. 

WTN

Quote from: Golliwog on August 12, 2010, 21:07:41 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I haven't had any experience with go card readers on buses failing (or at least more than 1) for a long time now. Has the overall rate of machine failures dropped, or is it just I've been on the 'lucky' services?

I still see machine failures occurring now and then, but rarely of the "no fares" variety. The first two seem to be the most common but are no showstoppers:
-GPS signal dropout. Manual intervention required for touch on and off.
-1 or 2 readers faulty or intermittent. Passengers told to use other machine - as I saw this morning at CC.
-Route info incorrectly set up. Stops not registered or register incorrectly. People get no fares, fixed fares or incorrect fares.

Quote from: ozbob on August 13, 2010, 04:06:58 AM
QuoteThey might assume everyone touched on and off, but what if a bus had faulty equipment?

No problem, just inform the TO of the situation.  Remember if you are not able to touch on that trip is free and don't touch off at the end of that trip.  If you are unable to touch off after touched on at the beginning of a trip, probably going to wear a fixed fare next time.  Contact TransLink or use the web based form for reimbursement. 

Got it. I guess TOs would believe that since drivers would know.
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

ozbob

SMU278 trailing unit on a Shorncliffe bound service prior to departure from Corinda

Down coal train through Corinda

Photographs R Dow 18th August 2010

WTN

Boarded a 208 at about 8am this morning. Was jam packed with standees. A few stops later on Juliette St, the bus filled to the red area. I got off at Buranda Busway, and boarded a 555. This was a new superbus, and it filled to the brim as well! Some people got off at Mater Hill, but I had to stand in the red area all the way to Southbank. There were a few people still standing until reaching Cultural Centre.

More services or more services run by superbuses? I prefer more services until frequency drops to about 5 min.

#Metro

Maybe we really do need light rail on the busway. That's were all the peak volumes are.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

somebody

Quote from: WTN on August 18, 2010, 21:30:18 PM
More services or more services run by superbuses? I prefer more services until frequency drops to about 5 min.
I agree, but I could accept 8-10min being the dividing line.  Bigger buses do not improve the customer experience at all, only the cost side.

#Metro

The larger buses are good, but they cannot be used on all routes- like the longer ones where no standing passengers are allowed.
They also have more capacity because they have less seats-  so more people standing. Its a mixed bag I guess.

Service every 5 minutes is the dividing line for me, as long as they don't bunch up too much.

Where are these 200-passenger superbus Lightrams that were so hyped up a few years ago?

Most of them look like trolleybuses, so they need wiring, but there is one that looks like a hybrid and I couldn't see wires on that one.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Golliwog

I was catching a train home from Central today at 2pm. Not sure if it was today only but they had closed platforms 1-4 for maintenance and were running all trains through 5 and 6. I asked one of the many QR staff on the concourse about it who said it was for maintenance and was from 10 till 2. I couldn't see any maintenance being undertaken however my Ferny Grove train was the last train going through platform 6 that doesn't usually go through there. No noticable delays, just a bit of a surprise to come and find the platforms closed.

ozbob

Thanks for the report.  Has been going for a  month or two now, also Roma St closing off platforms during the day off peak.  It is to allow for  some maintenance windows.

ozbob

Spotted a shiny refurbished EMU01/87 on a down service at Darra this afternoon.  Is missing the QR on the front.

ozbob

A few early Down (city bound) used platform 3 Darra this morning.

Here is a picture of a down service (Bowen Hills) at platform 3 Darra

Photograph R Dow 23 August 2010

ClintonL94

This morning at Beenleigh. I sighted IMU 167 and 169 on a Airport run. Instead of the usual desto (BRISBANE*flash*AIRPORT) It was Brisbane Airport.

Caught a SMU 260 train with the same desto this afternoon

ozbob

The morning Airport Service 26th August from Corinda via Tennyson.

Photographs R Dow 26th August 2010

Golliwog

I have seen that a few times on the network, two of the new trains paired but with old and new paint jobs together. Perhaps they are trying to get people to notice it and see what they think of it? If people comment to the affirmative about the new paint job perhaps they will start rolling it out on more of the trains.

O_128

Quote from: Golliwog on August 26, 2010, 16:58:16 PM
I have seen that a few times on the network, two of the new trains paired but with old and new paint jobs together. Perhaps they are trying to get people to notice it and see what they think of it? If people comment to the affirmative about the new paint job perhaps they will start rolling it out on more of the trains.

Id like the new style if they kept the red trim on top.
"Where else but Queensland?"

Arnz

IMU103 and IMU102 on the 12:39pm Roma Street-Nambour service today.  

IMU103 (Northbound lead unit) had the desto stuck on "Gold Coast". "Paper" destos with "Nambour" written on it were given out at Roma Street and was applied to both ends of IMU103.
Rgds,
Arnz

WTN

Quote from: Arnz on August 26, 2010, 21:09:23 PM
IMU103 and IMU102 on the 12:39pm Roma Street-Nambour service today.  

IMU103 (Northbound lead unit) had the desto stuck on "Gold Coast". "Paper" destos with "Nambour" written on it were given out at Roma Street and was applied to both ends of IMU103.

I've seen a similar thing happen with an EMU. It was stuck on Cleveland and had a Doomben sticker slapped to the front. Even funnier it was done with masking tape and a felt pen!

ozbob

The train that formed the 8.27am Airport service from Corinda arriving at platform one Corinda

Photograph R Dow 31st August 2010

Jonno

The 7:14 Lota to Bowen Hills train this morning reversed in the tunnel between Roma Street and Central.  Only 10m max but reverse it did.

ClintonL94

Quote from: Jonno on August 31, 2010, 20:48:34 PM
The 7:14 Lota to Bowen Hills train this morning reversed in the tunnel between Roma Street and Central.  Only 10m max but reverse it did.
Do you know if the front of the train had already pasted the junction point? may have reversed to change platforms :/

Jonno

I think it had.  Not a regular train for me.  I usually get one about 15 min later so not usre if it ended up on the same or diff platform.   Were a few surprised looks on train.

Jonno

At Central.  All trains running through Platforms 5 & 6 as they are cleaning the other platforms.  Shows you just how many services the 6 platforms could be servicing if the current services can easily be handled by 2 at the moment.  Off peak fir sure but still!!

Platforms nice and busy which also proves our point about frequency increases safety.

ozbob

Outbound on EMU82 Ipswich service, mains closed track work UP from Milton main UP.

ClintonL94

SMU 250 came speeding into beenleigh on a NOT IN SERVICE from the gold coast around 2:02pm this afternoon, stopped for about 20 seconds then left towards the city

p858snake

Quote from: Jonno on September 02, 2010, 12:32:31 PM
At Central.  All trains running through Platforms 5 & 6 as they are cleaning the other platforms.  Shows you just how many services the 6 platforms could be servicing if the current services can easily be handled by 2 at the moment.  Off peak fir sure but still!!

Platforms nice and busy which also proves our point about frequency increases safety.
I think they were doing maintenance on some of the lines, the cleaning was just a bonus.

🡱 🡳