• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Eastern Busway

Started by WTN, September 09, 2009, 18:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O_128

It would be even better Ms premier that if we were any other city in the world to be opening the second stage of our eastern metro system, trains running every 6 min to the city and every 6 min to UQ, passengers will be able to interchange to metro line 1 at buranda to go to 8MP or chermside.  ;D heck even the first stage of the easter Light rail system would beat this.
"Where else but Queensland?"

Peter J

Services start using the Eastern Busway from Buranda to Main Avenue Coorparoo from Monday 29 August.

WTN

I had a look yesterday while passing through on a 250 and the busway was pretty much what Bob has described - practically finished, only a few minor changes needed (like switching on the ticket machine). It's easy to see why Langlands station is more impressive. The whole station is at ground level and fully visible from Old Cleveland Rd. Having Panitya St cut off from Old Cleveland is a bit of a bummer, but hopefully it's not a long walk to the busway bridge. I'm going for a closer look on Saturday.
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

Golliwog

Panitya St does now come out on Main Ave though. Plus, getting to OC Rd theres the busway bridge you mention, plus they have a cycle/pedestrian path that runs alongside/on top of the busway so it's easy to cut across to Laura/Lilly St.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

Bulimba30A

Quote from: ozbob on August 25, 2011, 16:02:21 PM
From Queensland Parliament Hansard

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2011/2011_08_25_DAILY.PDF

Questions without notice

Transport Services

Mr KILBURN: My question without notice is to the Premier. Can the Premier outline to the House
how this state government has stepped in to improve transport services in Brisbane? Could the Premier
provide information about other approaches to delivering transport across the city?

Ms BLIGH: I thank the honourable member for his question. The member for Chatsworth knows
that Labor’s busways are transforming the face of modern Brisbane. Whether you look to the south, to
the east, or to the north, what you see is a busway system that is one of the most extensive in the world.
So I am very pleased that this weekend I will be joining with the member for Chatsworth and others in
the opening of the new Eastern Busway section between Buranda and Main Avenue in Coorparoo.

This section will see services start on Monday. And guess what? Those services will be starting
six months earlier than originally planned. So this project has come in six months earlier. What we see is
a dedicated busway that will go all the way from Coorparoo to the University of Queensland, to the PA
Hospital, or into the city. This means that commuters can look forward to up to an hour and a half less
sitting in the bus a week. It also means significant numbers of buses taken off some of our busy roads
like Old Cleveland Road, which can be very busy, particularly in peak times. It will also provide an extra
103,590 seats weekly. It means 31 brand-new buses, 12 new bus stops and five new bus routes. These
are the actions of a government that is driven by a passion and a commitment to public transport. We
know that that is a critical part of a modern, thriving capital city. It is Labor that has built the South East
Busway, the Inner Northern Busway, the Northern Busway and the Eastern Busway.

The member asks what alternative plans I am aware of for investment in our busway and public
transport system. I regret to advise the member that I know of no plans from those opposite for our
busway system. What I know is that over the past 10 years the Brisbane City Council has put exactly
zero dollars into a single busway anywhere in Brisbane. The Brisbane City Council has taken money out
of buses. It has contributed nothing to Brisbane’s busway system. It has not been a council that has
been prepared to work with the state government on public transport. It has worked to frustrate us at
every turn. But Labor remains committed to a funded busway system that is part of a modern transport
system.

The thing is, outside of peak, and other than the 590, all of these changes provide NO improvement to anyone in the Eastern suburbs who isn't within walking distance of:

Carindale interchange
Carina express stop
Camp Hill express stop
Kismet St express stop
Coorparoo express stop
Deshon St stop
Langlands Pk busway
Stones Corner busway

... and 5 out of 8 of those bus stops already have a BUZ.

So Minister in that light, please explain the cost/benefit analysis for the eastern busway for such limited added coverage (3 bus stops) and improved frequencies (8 bus stops)?

I feel better now  :)

#Metro

This section will see services start on Monday. And guess what? Those services will be starting
six months earlier than originally planned. So this project has come in six months earlier. What we see is
a dedicated busway that will go all the way from Coorparoo to the University of Queensland, to the PA
Hospital, or into the city.

Do not confuse concrete (infrastructure) with services (actual timetabled buses running on the road).
The Core Frequent Network of BUZ routes needs to be developed further, the good news is that not too many
more BUZ routes are needed for the core to be in place. Hurry up and get to this goal/milestone- much cheaper to do
than $465 million dollars that's for sure.

Once the core is in place, the less frequent suburban services can be taken off the busways and stop at local hubs such as
shopping centres to create frequent local services.

QuoteThis means that commuters can look forward to up to an hour and a half less
sitting in the bus a week. It also means significant numbers of buses taken off some of our busy roads
like Old Cleveland Road, which can be very busy, particularly in peak times

Something has to be done about busway congestion. Lines (a la cultural centre) need to be painted at all busway stations.
There is bus congestion at Garden City, Griffith University, Buranda, Cultural Centre in the mornings and it is only going to get worse.

QuoteIt will also provide an extra 103,590 seats weekly. It means 31 brand-new buses, 12 new bus stops and five new bus routes. These
are the actions of a government that is driven by a passion and a commitment to public transport. We
know that that is a critical part of a modern, thriving capital city. It is Labor that has built the South East
Busway, the Inner Northern Busway, the Northern Busway and the Eastern Busway.

... and the train system? Hellooo, it is still stuck at 'expo 1988' levels of service. In fact I think improved train services could be a leverage
point of difference during an election. Yes "labor" may have built the busways but sad fact is most people in brisbane live near a train station,
there are 80 within the BCC area, many more than busway stations and this is a system that already exists and is not being taken
advantage of. Much could be improved by simply adding more trains to the off peak, starting with 15 minute express trains to Ipswich ex Roma Street
and then express to Darra stopping only at Indooroopilly for interchange to UQ.

QuoteThe member asks what alternative plans I am aware of for investment in our busway and public
transport system. I regret to advise the member that I know of no plans from those opposite for our
busway system.

Rivercity Blueprint
Lord Mayor's Mass Transit Report 2007

QuoteWhat I know is that over the past 10 years the Brisbane City Council has put exactly
zero dollars into a single busway anywhere in Brisbane. The Brisbane City Council has taken money out
of buses.

Yawn.

QuoteIt has contributed nothing to Brisbane's busway system.

QSBS? CityGlider? Ferry Terminals??

QuoteIt has not been a council that has
been prepared to work with the state government on public transport. It has worked to frustrate us at
every turn. But Labor remains committed to a funded busway system that is part of a modern transport
system.

Yawn. Like the sun sets on the ALP...
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Mr X

Quotemodern transport system

I dare say, frequent trains are more "modern" and "world class" than busways.
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

O_128

Quote from: Happy Bus User on August 26, 2011, 09:23:14 AM
Quotemodern transport system

I dare say, frequent trains are more "modern" and "world class" than busways.

What arent all those third world countries with busways world class ?  :P

Mr X

At the going 'world class', rate of $4,400 a cm, surprised they can afford it!
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

Stillwater

I dont have a Macquarie Dictionary handy, but the Oxford Dictionary will do.

TRAIN:  v and n. ..... series of railway carriages, or trucks, drawn by the same engine(s).

Ms Bligh should be aware of another meaning for train: line of combustible material to lead fire to charge of explosives.

Figuratively speaking, perhaps trains will become an explosive issue at the state election.  

ozbob

Joint Statement:

Premier and Minister for Reconstruction
The Honourable Anna Bligh

Transport and Multicultural Affairs
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
26/08/2011

BRISBANE: YOUR NEWEST BUSWAY IS OPEN!

Tomorrow, Brisbane's newest busway will be opened for local residents and families to explore - six months ahead of schedule.

Premier Anna Bligh is urging anyone keen for a sneak peek of the $465 million Eastern Busway to attend the community open day tomorrow from 10am-2pm.

"When it opens on Monday (29 August), this section of busway will allow commuters to save up to 1.5 hours in travel time per week. Approximately 2,643 buses will service the new section the Eastern Busway each week, including five completely new routes.

"This project will not only vastly improve transport services to and from the eastside of Brisbane, but it also provided more than 2500 jobs for South East Queensland."

The Premier said it was fantastic the local community would have the opportunity to walk along this great piece of infrastructure which on Monday will be teeming with new bus services.

"This 1.05 kilometre project features two new signature busway stations located at Stones Corner and Langlands Park, helping to create convenient access for local residents. The stations also provide secure cycle storage for those wishing to ride their bikes to the stations.

"As part of the Stones Corner busway station, Beata Street has been transformed into a pedestrian and cycle only plaza. Pedestrian and cycle paths around the station and Norman Creek have been enhanced and new landscaping provided.

"This new busway offers a link from the South East Busway to the Princess Alexandra Hospital, the University of Queensland, as well as access the CBD.

"The completion of this busway is extremely significant to the people of Brisbane and I know there will be plenty of people keen to see it up close tomorrow."

Transport Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk said this section of busway between Buranda and Main Avenue is the next stage in what will ultimately be the 20 kilometre long Eastern Busway.

"Ultimately, it will link suburbs such as Capalaba and Chandler through to Buranda, reducing travel times and providing commuters with convenient access to the city and Princess Alexandra Hospital," she said.

Travel to the Open Day is available by bus to Buranda busway or catch a train to Buranda train station.

For services and journey planning information, visit www.translink.com.au or call 13 12 30.

==============================================================

WTN

Temporary fencing has been removed from the Beata St entrance into Stones Corner station. The area is cordoned off though.

I should've mentioned this earlier: Since Beata St is turned into a boardwalk out to Old Cleveland/Logan Rd, I wonder if the pedestrian crossing there will ever be improved. To cross Old Cleveland Rd, you need to wait at 2 sets of lights, one for each direction (unless 2 people cross in opposite directions at the same time). The crossing near the library only has a single wait. The double wait crossing is annoying enough I tend to use the one near the library. Some people jaywalk. With the new busway, this could get worse.
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

ozbob

From the Couriermail click here!

Brisbane's Eastern Busway set to open after two years of construction

Brisbane's Eastern Busway set to open after two years of construction

by Robyn Ironside
    August 27, 2011 12:00AM

ONE of the most expensive strips of road in the state finally opens on Monday after almost two years of construction, but cars will never drive on it.

The second stage of the bus-only corridor, the Eastern Busway, is little more than a kilometre long and cost $465 million to build - or $442,000 for every metre.

It links Buranda to Coorparoo via two tunnels and sports two new bus stations at Stones Corner and Langlands Park, along with pedestrian and cyclist facilities, but has been criticised over the lack of car parks for commuters.

A community open day today will give commuters a chance to walk the 1.05km length of the completed busway, which has been under construction since August 2009.

"The completion of this busway is extremely significant to the people of Brisbane and I know there will be plenty of people keen to see it up close today," Premier Anna Bligh said..

Transport Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk said the new section of busway would "vastly improve connection services to and from the eastern suburbs".

But local councillor Ian McKenzie said the lack of park 'n' ride facilities at the stations would create a parking nightmare for residents.

"It is the responsibility of the State Government to find public parking for people who want to use the busway," Cr McKenzie said.

"I have terrible problems around the Holland Park West busway and the Greenslopes busway with commuters having nowhere to park."

He also raised concerns about the impact on traffic of the busway on Old Cleveland Rd, Coorparoo.

"The busway will spit buses on to the already congested Old Cleveland Rd, adding another traffic light change to the intersection with Main Ave at Coorparoo," Cr McKenzie said. "There'll be more banking up of cars in the afternoon with two schools nearby."

Opposition Transport spokesman Scott Emerson said the LNP was concerned about the affordability of public transport.

"Commuters already believe public transport has become less affordable since the 15 per cent fare hikes in January, and a lot of people do not realise there are more fare increases planned," he said.

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on August 27, 2011, 03:30:40 AM
QuoteBut local councillor Ian McKenzie said the lack of park 'n' ride facilities at the stations would create a parking nightmare for residents.

"It is the responsibility of the State Government to find public parking for people who want to use the busway," Cr McKenzie said.

"I have terrible problems around the Holland Park West busway and the Greenslopes busway with commuters having nowhere to park."
::)

Parking this close to the CBD would be pretty dopey.

Mr X

It's the LNP; you expected otherwise?

I am surprised the usual pro-car nutters haven't gone on their usual propaganda anti-PT rants such as "close bus lanes! they cause congestion!" or "open the green bridge to cars/build a mega car park at dutton park/increase parking at UQ/make parking cheaper" or "fuel is expensive!"!

O_128

Quote from: Happy Bus User on August 27, 2011, 09:01:40 AM
It's the LNP; you expected otherwise?

I am surprised the usual pro-car nutters haven't gone on their usual propaganda anti-PT rants such as "close bus lanes! they cause congestion!" or "open the green bridge to cars/build a mega car park at dutton park/increase parking at UQ/make parking cheaper" or "fuel is expensive!"!

It scares me the kind of people studying town planning,for my group assignment one suggested a 1000 car park and ride on indooroopilly rail.

Im very interested that a local councillor has complained about a lack of parking, as I thought it was BCC and state policy not to have park and rides within a certain distance of the CBD

Mr X

Quote from: O_128 on August 27, 2011, 09:08:56 AM
It scares me the kind of people studying town planning,for my group assignment one suggested a 1000 car park and ride on indooroopilly rail.

Im very interested that a local councillor has complained about a lack of parking, as I thought it was BCC and state policy not to have park and rides within a certain distance of the CBD

What's even worse are people who have never studied town planning go around spouting crap about how "bad" and "expensive" busways are when in reality, we should look at what a waste of money some of these ROAD projects have been!

#Metro

But local councillor Ian McKenzie said the lack of park 'n' ride facilities at the stations would create a parking nightmare for residents.

Parking isn't required because the bus drives outside people's house? LOL.

He also raised concerns about the impact on traffic of the busway on Old Cleveland Rd, Coorparoo.

"The busway will spit buses on to the already congested Old Cleveland Rd, adding another traffic light change to the intersection with Main Ave at Coorparoo," Cr McKenzie said. "There'll be more banking up of cars in the afternoon with two schools nearby."

And your solution is??? That's right you don't have one.
Opposition Transport spokesman Scott Emerson said the LNP was concerned about the affordability of public transport.

Ugh. "I feel your pain" B.O.R.I.N.G.
Come back when you actually have policies like fixing up the Core Frequent Network or 15 minute all day train frequencies.
"Commuters already believe public transport has become less affordable since the 15 per cent fare hikes in January, and a lot of people do not realise there are more fare increases planned," he said.

Yawn. Once again information/action/policy content free DESCRIPTION.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Mr X

QuoteONE of the most expensive strips of road in the state finally opens on Monday after almost two years of construction, but cars will never drive on it.

Bias and inaccurate reporting, right there.

So what no cars drive on it; that's the point. Do people drive on train lines? no.

That article really is rubbish.

QuoteCome back when you actually have policies like fixing up the Core Frequent Network or 15 minute all day train frequencies.

Exactly. What will an LNP government do to make PT better? Nothing, it seems. Or maybe they do, but "don't release it because they don't want Labor stealing their ideas". Whatever.  ::)

O_128

The buses are already on old cleveland road!

O_128

Quote from: Happy Bus User on August 27, 2011, 09:33:04 AM
Quote from: O_128 on August 27, 2011, 09:08:56 AM

What's even worse are people who have never studied town planning go around spouting crap about how "bad" and "expensive" busways are when in reality, we should look at what a waste of money some of these ROAD projects have been!

Well most experts agree that busways are stupid and should have been LRT or heavy rail but it weren't because the victoria bridge would have had to have been replaced.

Mr X

But you'd agree we're better now than we were before we had them introduced? :)? A busway is better than nothing at all

O_128

Quote from: Happy Bus User on August 27, 2011, 11:18:56 AM
But you'd agree we're better now than we were before we had them introduced? :)? A busway is better than nothing at all

ehhh, Having an 8mp rail line would have been better. But I guess they would have looked at it and they would have had to have tunnelled from buranda and build CRR or duplicate the merivale bridge and the cost blew out. I just wish Queensland didn't have to adopt new technology when the rest of the world has done all the R and D for us.

O and the Lnp doesn't realise there policies because labor will steal them, Its because the QLD population are full of idiots with short term memory problems, no one would remember the policies by election time.

Mr X

The Greens release their policies and have no issues, and a lot of their policies (particularly transport) are worth stealing ;)

When the SE busway was built the demand probably wasn't there for a rail line anyway and it was planned to be converted to light rail in the original construction, though in it's first 10 years it was more successful than expected, which is good, and thus we've got the capacity issues today.

dwb

Quote from: Simon on August 27, 2011, 08:49:37 AM
Parking this close to the CBD would be pretty dopey.

As it turns out the LNP *is* rather dopey.

dwb

Quote from: O_128 on August 27, 2011, 11:06:18 AM
Well most experts agree that busways are stupid and should have been LRT or heavy rail but it weren't because the victoria bridge would have had to have been replaced.

Contestable.

Mr X

Mr X

somebody

Just put in a feedback item for the 209 maps at Boggo Rd #5 & #6.  They currently show it going to Woolloongabba (only).

SurfRail

Quote from: o_O on August 31, 2011, 08:55:08 AM
Outer timetable -> http://translink.com.au/resources/travel-information/services-and-timetables/timetables/110829-200,N200,P201,P205.pdf

Nobody at TransLink knows how to design timetables. 

A quick trip to Adelaide to steal their style manual will cure that.
Ride the G:

dwb

Quote from: SurfRail on September 01, 2011, 17:52:05 PM
Quote from: o_O on August 31, 2011, 08:55:08 AM
Outer timetable -> http://translink.com.au/resources/travel-information/services-and-timetables/timetables/110829-200,N200,P201,P205.pdf

Nobody at TransLink knows how to design timetables. 

A quick trip to Adelaide to steal their style manual will cure that.

Ummm you're not referring to Adelaide metro are you?

I just looked at their website (yikes, hard to read!) http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/
and the 100 timetable (yikes, ugly!) http://timetables.adelaidemetro.com.au/timetables/100-101_160111_ttable.pdf
and the 100 map (definitely some good info compared to TLs but would really only work online where you can zoon) http://timetables.adelaidemetro.com.au/timetables/routemaps/100-101_160111_routemap.pdf

If so, YIKES!

Do you have any other links? I've got a picture somewhere from Seoul and one from Melbourne... both were quite interesting. I'll try and locate.

somebody

TT and map look fine to me.

Bulimba30A

My first run on the new services today....

6:45am 213 to Carindale (was about 5 mins late) myself and one other person was it for the trip.

Waited at Carindale for about 5 mins and caught 222.  About 2/3rds of people at the stop at Carindale caught it.  Was about half full by Stones Corner.

Did not stop at Kismet St, the people there must have been waiting for P217 or 204 I suppose.

Switched to P206 at stones corner and just squeezed on! It still packs a load!

Got to Eagle St 7:30am

Some interesting observations...

Saw a couple of 590s which looked empty.

Still a heap of people waiting at the local stops for the 204... They could have been waiting a while as there was much looking at watches.  Seriously what people will put up with before walking to Coorparoo or Langlands Park.

The only other thing to note was complete lack of advertising for the 213 along Belmont Rd.  Not even a chained information board at bus stops.  I dont even think we got anything in the mailbox.

somebody

Hmm, interesting observations.

If the 206 packs a load, perhaps there is a need for a reasonable City Precincts service reaching Carindale via the direct route?

Bulimba30A

I think the P207 does work ok in that regard but in my view should be extended to Carina Depot skipping Carindale.  Also, there's always the option of having more P206s, possibly starting from Carina IGA.

Carindale has the benefit of P201 and P217 for Eagle St, although nothing for Parliament. P217 could be changed to serve Parliament.

I do not think there is a need for any new routes for OCR. It's got too many already.

somebody

Quote from: Bulimba30A on September 01, 2011, 19:50:05 PM
I think the P207 does work ok in that regard but in my view should be extended to Carina Depot skipping Carindale.  Also, there's always the option of having more P206s, possibly starting from Carina IGA.

Carindale has the benefit of P201 and P217 for Eagle St, although nothing for Parliament. P217 could be changed to serve Parliament.

I do not think there is a need for any new routes for OCR. It's got too many already.
207 is a City Precincts like route O/B, but far from one I/B.  I'm not sure why it would extend to Carina Depot though.

P217 is a microcosm of SEQ's transport planning mediocrity.  And I definitely agree about OCR having too many routes.

Bulimba30A

For me it's about coverage, and thought it would be a good easy candidate to serve the estates around carina depot/meadowlands rd without detouring via Carindale interchange

somebody

But already served by the 210, P211 and 212 (and 204 via a roundabout route).  Perhaps you're thinking of stops between OCR and Stanley Rd.

Bulimba30A

The only two of those that kind of serves the area is 204 and 206 and are so indirect from that area it's ridiculous.

🡱 🡳