• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Eastern Busway

Started by WTN, September 09, 2009, 18:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

Jonno

Quote from: WTN on August 21, 2011, 00:55:26 AM
So I think the carpark is really for the shops than the station itself.

The idea of providing transit stops is to remove parking availability from the surrounding area to reduce car use

Golliwog

Quote from: Jonno on August 21, 2011, 14:30:00 PM
Quote from: WTN on August 21, 2011, 00:55:26 AM
So I think the carpark is really for the shops than the station itself.

The idea of providing transit stops is to remove parking availability from the surrounding area to reduce car use

True, but as the ample signage that I believe has gone in suggests, that car park floods quite easily.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Mr X

Could the 200 use the Captain Cook Bridge full time...?
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

somebody

Quote from: Happy Bus User on August 21, 2011, 15:05:29 PM
Yes, it could.

I don't think those that matter would be receptive.

Bulimba30A

Actually I think thats a great idea.  However, if it can't happen for the 160, then I reckon we have buckleys for the 200.

somebody

Quote from: BrizCommuter on August 21, 2011, 14:17:38 PM
http://brizcommuter.blogspot.com/2011/08/eastern-busway-open-day.html
Open Day suggestions!
Chill pill?

The money has been spent.  It's no use crying about it now.

Quote from: Bulimba30A on August 21, 2011, 17:07:58 PM

Actually I think thats a great idea.  However, if it can't happen for the 160, then I reckon we have buckleys for the 200.
It all but happened for the 160 - Route 88!  I think they should can the 160 now that 88 is here.

BrizCommuter

Quote from: Simon on August 21, 2011, 17:24:01 PM
Open Day suggestions!
Chill pill?

Trolling again Simon?

Nothing wrong with a statement about the huge cost of a busway/km. As more overpriced busways are planned in the future, it is a relevant comment.

The rest was satire.

#Metro

I don't get why there is the 200 and 222. Why does the 200 still need to be BUZ?
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

somebody

Quote from: BrizCommuter on August 21, 2011, 17:36:09 PM
Quote from: Simon on August 21, 2011, 17:24:01 PM
Open Day suggestions!
Chill pill?

Trolling again Simon?

Nothing wrong with a statement about the huge cost of a busway/km. As more overpriced busways are planned in the future, it is a relevant comment.

The rest was satire.

Take it as you wish.

We could have made do with a queue jump for the 200 I/B which surely could have been done for under $20m.  But imagine what Brisbanites would say to that idea!

somebody

Quote from: tramtrain on August 21, 2011, 18:36:07 PM
I don't get why there is the 200 and 222. Why does the 200 still need to be BUZ?
To serve Carindale Heights.  Unless that service is tagged on to the 222.  Then what has been achieved?  I guess also to serve 'Gabba.

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on August 21, 2011, 15:14:33 PM
Quote from: Happy Bus User on August 21, 2011, 15:05:29 PM
Yes, it could.

I don't think those that matter would be receptive.

I'd be in favour.  It would be sufficiently distinct from the 222 to have some value then, and would be the fastest way from the Gabba to the CBD outside the peak.

I'm not 100% averse to having 2 BUZs on a major arterial (we have the 130 and 140, and very soon we will likely have the 330 and 333), as long as there is not a huge opportunity cost to another part of the system. 
Ride the G:

somebody

130+140 is a branched system, and 333/330 is a tiered service.  Both have the same CBD stops.  Neither of these have an issue with network design IMO, other than the stop locations at Chermside.

200+222 is neither (other than the Kismet St stop), and has different CBD stop locations.  I'm not impressed with the network design here.

Bulimba30A

Quote from: SurfRail on August 22, 2011, 11:18:13 AM
I'd be in favour.  It would be sufficiently distinct from the 222 to have some value then, and would be the fastest way from the Gabba to the CBD outside the peak.

I'm not 100% averse to having 2 BUZs on a major arterial (we have the 130 and 140, and very soon we will likely have the 330 and 333), as long as there is not a huge opportunity cost to another part of the system. 

Is there any route that goes from the Gabba to City via Captain Cook Bridge?  I think the rockets all skip the Gabba.

Bulimba30A

Just noticed an inconsistency with the early morning P206 services not scheduled to stop at Langlands Park. Misprint?

Is there a separate thread to list timetable/stop misprints?  I reckon itd be a long list.

Otto

206 will service Langlands Park.
7 years at Bayside Buses
33 years at Transport for Brisbane
Retired and got bored.
1 year at Town and Country Coaches and having a ball !

Bulimba30A

Well it must be a correction to the timetable that's needed then

somebody

The PDF has selected trips missing stopping times at Langlands Park.  It's the selected trips aspect which is particularly strange.

Quote from: Bulimba30A on August 19, 2011, 13:37:12 PM
217 timetable is out!  What a complete shocker!!  What is the point of this route?????  How complex can they possibly make it, look at all of the rows just indicating the different stops at Carindale.
Heading I/B it could be completely abolished by having the 207 serve Kismet St.  I don't see the point of it serving Buranda either.

Heading O/B, maybe it's the 207 which should go.

ozbob

Presently having lunch at Stones Corner.  Been for walk and a look at the Busway.  A lot in a kilometre or so.

Most things seem ready to roll.  Got some good photographs which I will put up later.  Might head out to UQ Lakes for look after lunch.

The rail bridge at Buranda has been given a coat of paint too!

Mr X

UQ lakes sis pretty abysmal... saw a 109 almost hit a parked bus earlier =\
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

ozbob

Quote from: Happy Bus User on August 24, 2011, 13:10:57 PM

Went for run out to UQ Lakes. Yes, no changes since my last visit at UQ Lakes.  Early afternoon and no room for any more buses.  In fact one of the extended buses seemed not able to lay over and did a lap or two waiting for a park ...  no progress with the promised upgrade, guess Council and Government are still squabbling ...

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on August 24, 2011, 14:45:05 PM
Quote from: Happy Bus User on August 24, 2011, 13:10:57 PM

Went for run out to UQ Lakes. Yes, no changes since my last visit at UQ Lakes.  Early afternoon and no room for any more buses.  In fact one of the extended buses seemed not able to lay over and did a lap or two waiting for a park ...  no progress with the promised upgrade, guess Council and Government are still squabbling ...
Pretty OT, but I'm not a big fan of the planned upgrade.  I'd much rather than extension to the station away from the river and more stands on the south side.  That way all the buses to Park Rd will leave from the one side, which IMO is important.

Jonno

Time to extend the busway under the Campus and out to Indroopilly ot Towong.

AnonymouslyBad

Quote from: Jonno on August 24, 2011, 15:09:09 PM
Time to extend the busway under the Campus and out to Indroopilly ot Towong.

Quoted for truth.

Just connecting UQ Lakes and St Lucia proper would be a real win for cross-town services and this is probably an area in which through services would be well used.

I believe UQ doesn't want any buses through their campus though (there is, of course, plenty of car parking - sigh), so you'd need to go under the whole thing if that's even possible, which could make the Eastern Busway look like loose change...

ozbob

From Queensland Parliament Hansard
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2011/2011_08_23_DAILY.pdf

Questions without notice

Eastern Busway

Mr KILBURN: My question without notice is to the Minister for Transport. Given the importance of
public transport in my electorate, can the minister please advise the House how the opening of the
Eastern Busway will increase services and boost patronage on public transport?
Ms PALASZCZUK: I would like to thank the member for Chatsworth very much for the question. I
know that he will be joining the Premier, me and the member for Greenslopes this Saturday for the
opening of the new Eastern Busway—a commitment of over $400 million to growing our world-class bus
network in South-East Queensland.

Ten years ago there was not one kilometre of busway in South-East Queensland. This Labor
government is delivering 25 kilometres of busway network—25 kilometres—which is an investment of
over $1.8 billion in providing a world-class public transport network here in South-East Queensland. The
new Eastern Busway will deliver 100,000 new weekly seats, 31 new buses, 12 new bus stops and five
new bus routes including two new high-frequency bus routes. It will also cut travel time for commuters
by up to 1.5 hours a week. This is about delivering to South-East Queensland.

Members may be interested to learn that the Lord Mayor is running around town blaming the state
government for what he sees as being only a two per cent growth in bus patronage. I want to put this
very clearly on the record. He has recently put out a press release—and members would like to hear
this—claiming that the council is going to continue to deliver 500 new buses this term. Who is delivering
the 500 new buses? It is not Quirk; it is this Labor government. We are delivering the 500 buses.
Why were our patronage figures not as high as we would have expected in the first quarter of this
year? There is a very simple reason: there was a thing called the flood that was affecting Brisbane, and
we put on free public transport during that week to enable people to get around our transport system. So
that is why our bus figures were not as high as we would have liked them to be. But we will continue to
deliver increases in our buses right across South-East Queensland. We will continue to fund public
transport. We will continue to grow our network. It does not do anything for Graham Quirk, the Lord
Mayor, to go around making things up, telling lies and not putting the facts on the public—

Mr SPEAKER: Order! That is unparliamentary. You will withdraw it immediately.

Ms PALASZCZUK: I withdraw. It is very clear that he is not telling the truth. I say to the Lord
Mayor: how about you look at the decline in your CityCycle system from around 1,600 people using it in
October to now about 100—a decline of 80 per cent? He should focus on fixing up his CityCycle network
rather than on criticising our expanding bus network.

somebody

"The member for X would like to know how the Eastern Busway improves bus services for the residents of Carindale Heights"

O_128

Answer the god damn question Minister. Does everything have to turn into a fight. I to would like to know how services are improved for carindale heights residents.
"Where else but Queensland?"

Mr X

I believe the UQ senate are against any tunnel under the campus, same crap about disrupting exams with noise/dust etc...
Yet the loud bangs from river pilings for the Green bridge was ok...

and the chaos from the Staff House road upgrade...

and the externalities of UQ traffic on local st lucia streets...

and the noise from UQ parties that seems to echo to suburbs kilometres away........

All those are deemed acceptable, yet a tunnel under the campus isn't?!? Hypocracy is indeed astounding.

ozbob

A selection of photographs from my visit to the busway today ..

Photographs R Dow 24th August 2011

Golliwog

Quote from: ozbob on August 24, 2011, 14:45:05 PM

Does happen sometimes. The turn isn't well designed for the triaxles, they often jut out into the turn around when they try to layover on the outside of the turn, which usually partially blocks other buses, especially when theres a bus in stop A.

Some great pics of the new busway Bob, have they opened the walkway above the Laura-Lilly St tunnel yet?
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

O_128

Has anyone seen the add for the eastern busway?, It shows platform 6 at  boggo road with a non BCC bus there  :o

SurfRail

Quote from: O_128 on August 24, 2011, 22:18:12 PM
Has anyone seen the add for the eastern busway?, It shows platform 6 at  boggo road with a non BCC bus there  :o

If it's from the set of stock images they took about a year ago to use for various things, then - very appropriately - it would be a picture of a Veolia bus.
Ride the G:

Golliwog

Quote from: SurfRail on August 24, 2011, 22:37:23 PM

If it's from the set of stock images they took about a year ago to use for various things, then - very appropriately - it would be a picture of a Veolia bus.

Yeah, its one of those. And it IS on the EB... just not the new bit.

ozbob

QuoteSome great pics of the new busway Bob, have they opened the walkway above the Laura-Lilly St tunnel yet?

Only partly if I recall correctly Golli.  Should be open from Saturday ..

dwb

Translink predominantly uses pictures of GREEN buses in its publications as this is it's corporate livery. BCC is the difficult child in wanting to remain blue/yellow, so I think it is appropriate for TL to stiff em and use a bus painted appropriately, whether or not it is predominantly (or even solely) currently being serviced by BT.

O_128

Quote from: dwb on August 25, 2011, 14:36:27 PM

Translink predominantly uses pictures of GREEN buses in its publications as this is it's corporate livery. BCC is the difficult child in wanting to remain blue/yellow, so I think it is appropriate for TL to stiff em and use a bus painted appropriately, whether or not it is predominantly (or even solely) currently being serviced by BT.

I just though it was interesting seeing as only BCC use the boggo road station, The translink colours are hideous however.

ozbob

From Queensland Parliament Hansard

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2011/2011_08_25_DAILY.PDF

Questions without notice

Transport Services

Mr KILBURN: My question without notice is to the Premier. Can the Premier outline to the House
how this state government has stepped in to improve transport services in Brisbane? Could the Premier
provide information about other approaches to delivering transport across the city?

Ms BLIGH: I thank the honourable member for his question. The member for Chatsworth knows
that Labor's busways are transforming the face of modern Brisbane. Whether you look to the south, to
the east, or to the north, what you see is a busway system that is one of the most extensive in the world.
So I am very pleased that this weekend I will be joining with the member for Chatsworth and others in
the opening of the new Eastern Busway section between Buranda and Main Avenue in Coorparoo.

This section will see services start on Monday. And guess what? Those services will be starting
six months earlier than originally planned. So this project has come in six months earlier. What we see is
a dedicated busway that will go all the way from Coorparoo to the University of Queensland, to the PA
Hospital, or into the city. This means that commuters can look forward to up to an hour and a half less
sitting in the bus a week. It also means significant numbers of buses taken off some of our busy roads
like Old Cleveland Road, which can be very busy, particularly in peak times. It will also provide an extra
103,590 seats weekly. It means 31 brand-new buses, 12 new bus stops and five new bus routes. These
are the actions of a government that is driven by a passion and a commitment to public transport. We
know that that is a critical part of a modern, thriving capital city. It is Labor that has built the South East
Busway, the Inner Northern Busway, the Northern Busway and the Eastern Busway.

The member asks what alternative plans I am aware of for investment in our busway and public
transport system. I regret to advise the member that I know of no plans from those opposite for our
busway system. What I know is that over the past 10 years the Brisbane City Council has put exactly
zero dollars into a single busway anywhere in Brisbane. The Brisbane City Council has taken money out
of buses. It has contributed nothing to Brisbane's busway system. It has not been a council that has
been prepared to work with the state government on public transport. It has worked to frustrate us at
every turn. But Labor remains committed to a funded busway system that is part of a modern transport
system.

dwb

Strong words. Could be stronger... the bit about BCC.

But I would contend the point, didn't BCC plan and pay the contract for the Elleanor Schonell Bridge? That is busway!

QuoteMs BLIGH: I thank the honourable member for his question. The member for Chatsworth knows
that Labor's busways are transforming the face of modern Brisbane. Whether you look to the south, to
the east, or to the north,
what you see is a busway system that is one of the most extensive in the world.
So I am very pleased that this weekend I will be joining with the member for Chatsworth and others in
the opening of the new Eastern Busway section between Buranda and Main Avenue in Coorparoo.

No word about the west! lol

And before anyone says it, no I'm not saying their transport policy is great.

somebody

Quote from: SurfRail on August 20, 2011, 07:28:35 AM
They are morons.  Every other city in Australia can get this right except us it seems.  For heaven's sake!  :pr
Recently someone saw me looking at a Sydney map (393/4/9,X94/9 as it happens) and commented: "We don't have anything like that for our network!  Move to Sydney!".

🡱 🡳