• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Eastern Busway

Started by WTN, September 09, 2009, 18:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O_128

Quote from: Bulimba30A on August 19, 2011, 07:31:13 AM
If they were really serious about the eastern busway corridor, they should extend the 222 as a buz to Capalaba now! I fear this is going to be Springfield mk II but worse as god knows if and when it will ever be built.

When will they realise that they don't need a busway to provide frequent and direct bus services? Particularly where congestion is not an overriding problem?

you see they do, to have converted old cleveland road to bus lanes with priority would have been political suicide.
"Where else but Queensland?"

STB

If they were really serious about the eastern busway corridor, they should extend the 222 as a buz to Capalaba now! I fear this is going to be Springfield mk II but worse as god knows if and when it will ever be built.

No need to, route 250 already provides this service.

SurfRail

Quote from: STB on August 19, 2011, 11:43:00 AM

At sub-BUZ frequency of course.

The 250 should be a blend of the 130/140/330 and 555 in effect.  Express running to Carindale and terminating at Capalaba, with high-frequency and frequent feeders - which appears to be option 4 of what is currently proposed in the way of Veolia changes.  Of course it won't happen because it makes the most sense.
Ride the G:

somebody

I would say that the 250+270 should do as SurfRail suggests, and can likely combine for BUZ frequency.  I'd expect there to a sizeable portion of people boarding I/B services at Carindale or heading to Carindale, and these faster services could take a good portion of the load.  Although the problem with that plan is who would put up with the route through the CBD heading O/B?

SurfRail

http://translink.com.au/resources/travel-information/services-and-timetables/timetables/110819-200,N200,P201,P206,P207,209,P217,222.pdf

The question has to be asked - just what towering intellect actually designs these timetables!  No doubt brought to you by the designers of such other assaults on the senses as the 130-series and 450-series timetables.

It gives me a headache just looking at the map in this - its like I'm being punished for doing the rigt thing in trying to catch the bus.

Do they actually understand what the point of a bus timetable is? (Hint - informing passengers, not terrifying them)
Ride the G:

Bulimba30A

Quote from: SurfRail on August 19, 2011, 12:00:12 PM

The 250 should be a blend of the 130/140/330 and 555 in effect.  Express running to Carindale and terminating at Capalaba, with high-frequency and frequent feeders - which appears to be option 4 of what is currently proposed in the way of Veolia changes.  Of course it won't happen because it makes the most sense.

Agree surfrail, with a stop at Buranda!

Another one for "pigs might fly" is for the high frequency Capalaba route to use the QSBS operated by Veolia!

Mr X

Quote from: SurfRail on August 19, 2011, 13:27:46 PM
http://translink.com.au/resources/travel-information/services-and-timetables/timetables/110819-200,N200,P201,P206,P207,209,P217,222.pdf

The question has to be asked - just what towering intellect actually designs these timetables!  No doubt brought to you by the designers of such other assaults on the senses as the 130-series and 450-series timetables.

It gives me a headache just looking at the map in this - its like I'm being punished for doing the rigt thing in trying to catch the bus.

Do they actually understand what the point of a bus timetable is? (Hint - informing passengers, not terrifying them)

Wow that timetable is shocking, how anyone can make out what all those CBD lines mean is beyond me. Good luck to any potential users!

The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

Bulimba30A

217 timetable is out!  What a complete shocker!!  What is the point of this route?????  How complex can they possibly make it, look at all of the rows just indicating the different stops at Carindale.

I really am ready to give up, its too depressing.

STB

Quote from: SurfRail on August 19, 2011, 12:00:12 PM

The 250 should be a blend of the 130/140/330 and 555 in effect.  Express running to Carindale and terminating at Capalaba, with high-frequency and frequent feeders - which appears to be option 4 of what is currently proposed in the way of Veolia changes.  Of course it won't happen because it makes the most sense.

There's word that route 250 could be upped to an almost BUZ like service in the next service change in October, budget depending, and also depends on shortening the route which dependent on acceptance by the public.  Am currently working on that with the planners in these consultations, so will see how it goes.

Mr X

Not to mention it doesn't even say where the 200, N200 and P201 terminate!
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

STB

Whoa at combining all those routes on one timetable  :o!

I think it might've made a little more sense to have route 200/222 on one timetable.

The peak routes on another timetable, and route 209 with it's own timetable and/or just combine it as it is now with the 29/109/139/169/209 timetable.

Bulimba30A

Rant not over yet.... Seriously that timetable should be sent to any public transport text book as an example of how NOT to publish a timetable.   Have you noticed that they haven't even bothered to show the 206 or 200 routes past Carindale Westfield?  And that is the treatment a BUZ gets????

How in the world is it possible to agitate for services to people who have cr*p services now when this sort of idiocy takes place.

I am minded to get a map of the eastern suburbs and highlight the substantial areas which have completely inadequate services (which include the immediate vicinity of a bus depot) and compare them to the multitude of services which run down Old Cleveland Rd.  aaaarrghhh!!!  The irony is the services may actually be successful insofaras they increase patronage numbers (because they are so frequent) and so we will no doubt be soon faced which the bleating of "bus full" issues, which will require even more services to be placed on the corridor to the deteriment of everyone else (as they will get no improvement whatsoever).

This is going to help the parking issues around the streets of Carina, Camp Hill, Coorparoo and Main St/Langlands Park express stops... NOT.  Forget the Citycat, I'm now driving to Carina!

Re Old Cleveland Road, its not another Springfield but another Mains Road!

And I thought I had seen everything.

Mr X

Surprised they haven't BUZ'd the 204 or introduced 222 sweeper services yet  ::)

STB

Quote from: Happy Bus User on August 19, 2011, 14:07:03 PM
Surprised they haven't BUZ'd the 204 or introduced 222 sweeper services yet  ::)

Don't give them any ideas! Next they will stick the 204 onto the 200/I forget the rest timetable, and call the short run 222 sweepers route 218 and stick that onto the same timetable :P.

Mr X

Oh true forgot the 204 isn't in that timetable! The 203, 205 and 29 could be in it too!

As for route 218- make it prepaid and you've got a grand idea!!  ::) ::) *rings Translink*

STB

Hell, why not go full bore and put every single Old Cleveland Rd route on there, including route 250 and possibly route 270 post October!  So this would make it perhaps 29/200/P201/203/204/P205/P206/P207/209/P217/P218/222/250/270 with the 250/270 CBD route included on that map!  :hg :P >:D :is-  :bu

somebody

Agree about the bit beyond Carindale Interchange for 200/206.  You would be able to get HTML timetables and use the journey planner for them though, I assume.

However, other than that I am going to take an alternate view that this timetable, combined with the 130 & 45x timetable is a completely logical way of representing the service as it is.  It is the service itself which is daft.

What would be wrong with BUZing the 204?

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on August 19, 2011, 14:23:01 PMHowever, other than that I am going to take an alternate view that this timetable, combined with the 130 & 45x timetable is a completely logical way of representing the service as it is.  It is the service itself which is daft.

It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't completely unfamiliar with 2 simple words:

CHAIN ROUTE
Ride the G:

Mr X

Quote from: STB on August 19, 2011, 14:22:30 PM
Hell, why not go full bore and put every single Old Cleveland Rd route on there, including route 250 and possibly route 270 post October!  So this would make it perhaps 29/200/P201/203/204/P205/P206/P207/209/P217/P218/222/250/270 with the 250/270 CBD route included on that map!  :hg :P >:D :is-  :bu

You forgot the N200  :o could the 202 go on it too?

Quote from: Simon on August 19, 2011, 14:23:01 PM
What would be wrong with BUZing the 204?

I was joking  ;D

Quote from: SurfRail on August 19, 2011, 14:56:21 PM
CHAIN ROUTE

But what about all the pretty colours? :P

somebody

What is with the 206 non stopping Buranda?  It (and the 136) are the only City Precincts services which traverse Buranda, and neither of them serve it.

Quote from: SurfRail on August 19, 2011, 14:56:21 PM
Quote from: Simon on August 19, 2011, 14:23:01 PMHowever, other than that I am going to take an alternate view that this timetable, combined with the 130 & 45x timetable is a completely logical way of representing the service as it is.  It is the service itself which is daft.

It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't completely unfamiliar with 2 simple words:

CHAIN ROUTE
Take that point.

ozbob

Email from Eastern Busway TMR

Good afternoon

We are pleased to announce that work to construct the Eastern Busway (Buranda to Main Avenue) is complete.

To celebrate, we are hosting a community open day on Saturday 27 August 2011 and invite you, your family and friends to walk the busway between 10am and 2pm.

The attached brochure provides more detail on what to expect at the event and how to access the busway.

Buses will operate along the busway from Monday 29 August 2011 and information will be available at the open day. Alternatively, you can contact TransLink for more information on 13 12 30 or visit www.translink.com.au

We hope to see you at the event.

Kind regards
Eastern Busway Project Team

Freecall: 1800 194 476

Flyer --> here!  PDF 656 KB
Email: easternbusway@transportandmainroads.qld.gov.au
Visit: www.translink.com.au/easternbusway
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

jouzocha

Quote from: Bulimba30A on August 19, 2011, 13:57:51 PMHave you noticed that they haven't even bothered to show the 206 or 200 routes past Carindale Westfield?  And that is the treatment a BUZ gets????

I can't believe they left that out, ridiculous!.  I hope people who want to know where their bus route goes beyond Carindale Interchange keep a copy of the old timetable.

QuoteRe Old Cleveland Road, its not another Springfield but another Mains Road!

At least the Mains Rd timetables show where the bus goes until the end of its route!

Otto

I'm sure as hell glad I'm not using the TL map when I commence the new routes on the 29th... I'd have no idea where I'm going especially in the city area.... God help the poor punters who try to decipher this lot...  :conf
7 years at Bayside Buses
33 years at Transport for Brisbane
Retired and got bored.
1 year at Town and Country Coaches and having a ball !

WTN

Like what everyone said, the new map and timetable are a shocker! I thought the old map was bad enough with all those squiggles. There's simply too many routes squashed into one map and too similar in colour they're hard to follow. The CBD section is a mess of spaghetti. There's no information at all beyond the interchange (not even the timing!) How are people supposed to find their bus and when it comes?

Funny enough, the 204 gets its OWN timetable, while the 203 and P205 get lumped in with 202 and P208, and a smattering of other routes mashed together without regard to grouping.
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

SurfRail

They are morons.  Every other city in Australia can get this right except us it seems.  For heaven's sake!  :pr
Ride the G:

ozbob

SurfRail.  Could you please draft a paragraph or two on what is actually required.

Thanks.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

Bulimba30A

At the very minimum I'd put 206 into the 204 timetable and have a separate timetable for 222, 207 and 217.

That obviously doesn't address the real issue here though... why are there so many route numbers with only slightly different stopping patterns?

Bulimba30A

Actually I just noticed it says "inner timetable", maybe there will be a separate timetable which only has the routes beyond Carindale interchange.

Mr X

Quote from: Bulimba30A on August 20, 2011, 09:31:51 AM
Actually I just noticed it says "inner timetable", maybe there will be a separate timetable which only has the routes beyond Carindale interchange.

People would have to flick through two timetables? How confusing would that be!

Jonno

I will always think the car park at Stones Corner should have been a pedestrian plaza with shops and restaurants.   The 20 spaces are useless.

O_128

Quote from: Jonno on August 20, 2011, 14:09:38 PM
I will always think the car park at Stones Corner should have been a pedestrian plaza with shops and restaurants.   The 20 spaces are useless.

Totally agree, it's a future rape space
"Where else but Queensland?"

Golliwog

Quote from: Jonno on August 20, 2011, 14:09:38 PM

Pretty sure the carpark at Stones Corner is actually for the BCC Library which backs onto the station there. IIRC they've got 3hr parking limits on them? Don't quote me on that last one though, but fairly sure that is that case.

What I hope to see though is that now that theres actually something behind those shops there, that a few of them get redone to have something facing the busway. At the moment, you just have the backs of cafes and shops, etc. A not enough appartments there either.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

WTN

The carpark was there long long ago before the busway got built. It serves not only the library but the dry cleaner, shops and bank next to it. There used to be a hardware store where the Gladys St extension is now. There was a 2 hour limit on parking (thanks to google maps). So I think the carpark is really for the shops than the station itself.

Only the fruit market faces the station, but everything else is only a short walk away. Building anything more on that carpark will be a challenge, as it is prone to flooding. It would have to be around platform level. There goes an opportunity - why not add space to the platforms so they can be rented out?
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

Bulimba30A

Quote from: Simon on August 19, 2011, 15:10:50 PM
What is with the 206 non stopping Buranda?  It (and the 136) are the only City Precincts services which traverse Buranda, and neither of them serve it.

+1!!

Bulimba30A

Quote from: Happy Bus User on August 20, 2011, 10:52:02 AM
Quote from: Bulimba30A on August 20, 2011, 09:31:51 AM

People would have to flick through two timetables? How confusing would that be!

I was actually thinking that the "outer" timetable would be the full timetable for routes 200, N200, P201 and P206 designed to be used by people starting/finishing beyond the interchange, so they wouldn't need both timetables, with the ïnner timetable designed for people along Old Cleveland Rd.

Not that I agree with this, but I think it would be the most likely reason.

Bulimba30A

Now from the outset I know others may not agree with this, but what about having the 29 serve Buranda by using the O'Keefe St portal.  Is that possible?

I mean if you take on board that there is a need for a 15 min frequency needed from UQ to the Gabba without changing buses at Mater Hill, why not allow the ability for people to interchange from SE busway direct to the Gabba without forcing the change at Mater Hill?  I wouldn't imagine that it would slow down the service too much, and provide added connectivity for the network.

I'm bemused by the listing of the connections available at the Gabba in the timetable, each of those connections are also available at Mater Hil on the 109.  All I can think is that its trying to spread out the 109 load?  Although, the 29 also has the advantage of "same platform" connections which is not the case with Mater Hill.  Also with a network focus, I think it would be a real advantage for 29 to be extended to RBWH via Story Bridge as it would provide direct access to the busway system for Valley and Kangaroo Point without going through the City.

Golliwog

Yeah It'd be possible to use O'Keefe St, though a bit dodgey with the wait at 3 sets of traffic lights in the space of a few 100m.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

somebody

Quote from: Bulimba30A on August 21, 2011, 11:42:25 AM
I'm bemused by the listing of the connections available at the Gabba in the timetable, each of those connections are also available at Mater Hil on the 109.  All I can think is that its trying to spread out the 109 load?  Although, the 29 also has the advantage of "same platform" connections which is not the case with Mater Hill.  Also with a network focus, I think it would be a real advantage for 29 to be extended to RBWH via Story Bridge as it would provide direct access to the busway system for Valley and Kangaroo Point without going through the City.
That is an interesting point.  I wonder if the 29 will be well utilised?  I think this is what I was thinking of when I suggested this route should extend to somewhere you can interchange for the Storey Bridge rockets (211, 216, 221, 231, 236).

Bulimba30A

Quote from: Simon on August 21, 2011, 13:57:18 PM
Quote from: Bulimba30A on August 21, 2011, 11:42:25 AM
That is an interesting point.  I wonder if the 29 will be well utilised?  I think this is what I was thinking of when I suggested this route should extend to somewhere you can interchange for the Storey Bridge rockets (211, 216, 221, 231, 236).

Does 211 use Story Bridge? 

Otherwise, the difficulty is that you would need the 29 to use Shafston Ave and not Main St.  It would be an effort to have to walk from one to the other, but not impossible I suppose.  The problem with Shafston is that you then have to deal with the one way streets to get to the Gabba.  Wellington Rd would be OK northbound (and would connect to the CityCat as well) but Latrobe St would be a bit annoying.

somebody

Quote from: Bulimba30A on August 21, 2011, 14:08:21 PM
Does 211 use Story Bridge? 
No, you are right.  It does not.  However, it cannot be asked to serve the Gabba O/B as it would need to deviate too much to reach it.

Perhaps the same platform interchange and reduction in Mater Hill congestion will justify the existence of the 29. Let's hope so.

🡱 🡳