• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Eastern Busway

Started by WTN, September 09, 2009, 18:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aldonius

At the camera end, it wouldn't need to be any more complicated than a standard highway speed camera - snap a picture of the plates, send a fine to everything that isn't a bus as O_128 said.
It's the back-end that might need custom tailoring, but whoever currently performs speed camera back end should be able to create and deploy a solution for less than $500K + electricity + maintenance, at the max.

dwb

Quote from: aldonius on July 25, 2011, 17:06:54 PM
At the camera end, it wouldn't need to be any more complicated than a standard highway speed camera - snap a picture of the plates, send a fine to everything that isn't a bus as O_128 said.
It's the back-end that might need custom tailoring, but whoever currently performs speed camera back end should be able to create and deploy a solution for less than $500K + electricity + maintenance, at the max.

Sorry, do you know and understand the road rules? Drivers are permitted to drive in the buslane to enter/exit a property or street, that means you can't simply fine anyone in a buslane that is not a bus, you need more than one camera in each place you enforce it.

Stillwater

Graffiti-covered wagons -- hundreds of them -- parked on the Banks Pocket branch, between Gympie North and Gympie stations.  Have been there for a couple of weeks now.

O_128

Quote from: dwb on July 25, 2011, 18:47:44 PM

Sorry, do you know and understand the road rules? Drivers are permitted to drive in the buslane to enter/exit a property or street, that means you can't simply fine anyone in a buslane that is not a bus, you need more than one camera in each place you enforce it.

It could be like the clem 7 speed cameras, so if you get caught by say 3 cameras over 2km then you get a fine
"Where else but Queensland?"

Golliwog

Nah, wouldn't need that. The rules are 100m I believe and only for leaving exiting the road, or overtaking a car that is in the right hand lane indicating to turn right (ie: no general overtaking) so really just a pair of cameras 100m apart.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

aldonius

Ok, so add the mitigating factors. It's still simple to implement.

Also, I was mentally thinking bus*way*, sorry if anyone tripped on that. As such, I was thinking just put them in past the entrance. Come to think of it, don't they already have these?

somebody

Quote from: dwb on July 25, 2011, 18:47:44 PM

Should be a simple matter to not have the cameras at the locations which this is permitted at.  Only when the side streets are so close together that the permitted entry zone is continuous would this cause a problem.

NSW can do it, and as others have mentioned it is also done overseas.  Given that motorcycles are also permitted, I guess there must be some recognition technology rather than a transponder to signal which vehicles are permitted.

achiruel

This is what I imagine Route 590 will look like.

I wonder how early it will start in the morning?  I work at Eagle Farm about a 15 minute walk from French St and wouldn't mind using it :)  But I doubt it will get me there by 6am.  Pity it doesn't start at EMP either, I'd have to get a 111 from EMP to GC and they don't start very early either.

Otto

Quote from: achiruel on July 29, 2011, 08:11:41 AM
This is what I imagine Route 590 will look like.

I wonder how early it will start in the morning?  I work at Eagle Farm about a 15 minute walk from French St and wouldn't mind using it :)  But I doubt it will get me there by 6am.  Pity it doesn't start at EMP either, I'd have to get a 111 from EMP to GC and they don't start very early either.

It's about 85% right.. First bus leaves Garden City 5:30 I'm told.. It will stop at French St.
7 years at Bayside Buses
33 years at Transport for Brisbane
Retired and got bored.
1 year at Town and Country Coaches and having a ball !

Bulimba30A

Saw some 590 route markers on creek rd on the weekend, so may be able to follow it along.  Given the shifts that can exist in the eagle farm area, i'd have thought the first arrival just before 6am would be ideal. Although not many connections onto the 590 would be available at that time perhaps.

Sunbus610

Quote from: Bulimba30A on August 02, 2011, 07:08:34 AM
Saw some 590 route markers on creek rd on the weekend, so may be able to follow it along.  Given the shifts that can exist in the eagle farm area, i'd have thought the first arrival just before 6am would be ideal. Although not many connections onto the 590 would be available at that time perhaps.
I also sighted some new 590 route arrows (shared with 599 & 598) over the weekend as you come off the Gateway Bridge onto Lytton Road and around Murrarie.
Proud to be a Sunshine Coaster ..........

ozbob

http://www.adrianschrinner.com/Newsroom/LatestNews/tabid/67/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/526/New-bus-services-approved-for-south-eastern-suburbs.aspx

New bus services approved for south-eastern suburbs

Posted on Tuesday, 2 August, 2011

Translink has approved Brisbane City Council requests for a number of important new bus services across the south-eastern suburbs.

These new bus services include:

A new high-frequency, cross-suburban Route 590, between Garden City and the DFO (Airport Drive) via Creek Road, the Carindale Bus Station, the Cannon Hill Bus Station, Metroplex, Trade Coast Central and the Gateway Motorway. This service will operate every 15 minutes in peak and every 30 minutes off peak.
    A new peak Route 213, between Cannon Hill and Carindale via Belmont
    A new peak Route 205, from Scrub Road (near Citipointe Christian College) to the City via Winstanley and Samuel Streets

Under current public transport arrangements in Southeast Queensland, Brisbane City Council operates as a contractor to the State Government (TransLink) and any new services must be approved by TransLink.

"As the local councillor, I have been lobbying TransLink for improved local bus services for a number of years and these new services are a positive step in the right direction," Cr Schrinner said.

"I particularly welcome the new Route 205 service along Scrub Road to help fill a public transport 'black spot' around the Citipointe Christian College, including the hundreds of homes located south of Cribb Road, Carindale." 

Cr Schrinner said that he was also pleased that a new cross-suburban route was being introduced to help service the Creek Road corridor, between Garden City, Carindale and Cannon Hill.

"The vast majority of bus services in Brisbane go to the CBD, so it's great to see some cross-suburban connectivity being provided," he said.

According to Cr Schrinner, hundreds of residents had recently signed a petition to request improved services along the Creek Road corridor.

"I would like to thank Mr Ian Walker for starting this petition on behalf of the local community," Cr Schrinner said.

A number of new bus stops are currently being installed on Scrub Road and Winstanley Street in preparation for these new services.  The services are expected to commence in conjunction with the opening of the Eastern Busway between Stones Corner and Coorparoo (date yet to be confirmed).
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

Bulimba30A

I think wynnum rd needs to be a frequent corridor rather than a buz, as you really need 4 full time services from tingalpa, being Belmont rd, wynnum rd, manly rd and wondall rd. That is, unless you can set up a good interchange at tingalpa. I think it needs a complete rethink, but must include sending the 215 and 220 (or equivalent) down wynnum rd/story bridge full time and having a full time 214. Offpeak services should use cannon hill interchange.

At the risk of banging on about it, imho a buz down stanley rd should not be considered without also improving the services to the estates in and around the bus depot/meadowlands rd.

Fattious

Quote from: Bulimba30A on August 03, 2011, 08:00:54 AM
I think wynnum rd needs to be a frequent corridor rather than a buz. I think it needs a complete rethink, but must include sending the 215 and 220 (or equivalent) down wynnum rd/story bridge full time and having a full time 214.

So should the 227 service all stops, and the 215/220 only service white express stops? Perhaps the 227 should service white express stops to Cannon Hill and the 215/220 observes all stops

dwb

Looks like the Eastern Busway may be operating in less than 3 weeks time... looks like a slight factual slip below.

Quotefrom   easternbusway@tmr.qld.gov.au
to   easternbusway@transportandmainroads.qld.gov.au
date   Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 6:01 PM
subject   Eastern Busway Alliance: Road closure of Panitya Street at night
mailed-by   tmr.qld.gov.au
hide details 6:01 PM (22 hours ago)
Good afternoon,

Road closure of Panitya Street at night

Please find attached a flyer outlining the night time closure of Panitya Street on Thursday and Friday nights this week.

The team are very close to completing our road work and the busway will be operational on 29 August. More information coming soon!

Thank you for your ongoing patience.

Kind regards,

somebody

Quote from: Fattious on August 03, 2011, 18:50:10 PM
So should the 227 service all stops, and the 215/220 only service white express stops? Perhaps the 227 should service white express stops to Cannon Hill and the 215/220 observes all stops
You mean east of Cannon Hill?  That seems logical to me.

somebody

Quote from: dwb on August 09, 2011, 16:43:29 PM
Looks like the Eastern Busway may be operating in less than 3 weeks time... looks like a slight factual slip below.
ATDB reported the 29th Aug as the opening some time ago.  Seems the date has already been let slip.

dwb

Quote from: Simon on August 09, 2011, 17:37:04 PM
Quote from: dwb on August 09, 2011, 16:43:29 PM
ATDB reported the 29th Aug as the opening some time ago.  Seems the date has already been let slip.

Ahh ok, let's just clarify by "let slip" you mean press-wise (via ATDB), and not time-wise?

somebody

Not sure I follow the distinction.  ATDB members noted the date on the Translink website, now removed.

Bulimba30A

Quote from: Simon on August 09, 2011, 17:35:47 PM
Quote from: Fattious on August 03, 2011, 18:50:10 PM
You mean east of Cannon Hill?  That seems logical to me.

I disagree.  I think that there is a need for an all stops service and think that 227 does that. 

Whether it is a single BUZ or a combined route high frequency corridor (which is my preference), it should be limited stops.  The idea of limited stops is to get people from the outer suburbs to their destination quicker.  It works on all other major arterials in Brisbane and all high frequency/BUZes are limited stops (except 196 and 199 which are relatively short routes).  Why is Wynnum Rd different?

#Metro

Whether it is a single BUZ or a combined route high frequency corridor (which is my preference), it should be limited stops.  The idea of limited stops is to get people from the outer suburbs to their destination quicker.  It works on all other major arterials in Brisbane and all high frequency/BUZes are limited stops (except 196 and 199 which are relatively short routes).  Why is Wynnum Rd different?

I agree! SPEED! The BUZ network is about high service characteristics- high speed, high frequency, high service hour span, NO COMPROMISE.

As for 196/199 being exceptions, I think this is a retro-justification. The 199 should have stops weeded out so that it is faster. Same for 196, we aren't playing trams anymore, a Core Frequent Networks needs to tackle the car and that means SPEED. CityGlider is probably a bit too spaced out at 800m apart, somewhere in the range of 600-750m should be OK IMHO.

Oh, and TransLink has now closed one of the 196 bus stops near Dornoch Tce/Gladstone Rd intersection. It was on a hilly unsafe area and there is now a guard rail in front of it. The stop near St. Ita's should be weeded out and 198 should be steam ironed or abolished!

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Mr X

The stopping on the 196 really annoys me sometimes.. don't get me started. A trip can get delayed by 10mins+ purely because of 1 person getting off every 100m (literally) causing extra time in slowing down, opening doors, closing doors, pulling out into traffic etc. Would save Translink time in stop maintenance if some were removed!  Though if no one is getting off (much), you get places quicker than a car could. But it's an inner city route, it can't exactly "express" to anywhere like the 130/140/150 can along the busway.
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

SurfRail

I think the Canberra approach is sensible.  I would ultimately like to see express services phased out in favour of relocating and removing stops to more reasonable intervals - then, if you still need to run services faster, you just get them to run non-stop from a particular point.
Ride the G:

dwb

Quote from: Simon on August 09, 2011, 18:26:51 PM
Not sure I follow the distinction.  ATDB members noted the date on the Translink website, now removed.

Bureaucrats aren't permitted to make announcements, that is up to the marketing departments and the politicians. Just because the pollies haven't announced it yet doesn't mean it has "slipped" from a time perspective, it just means they're waiting for the right moment in the press to release that information.  Given I received that email less than a day before I posted it here, it would still seem to be 'current' information, accidentally released.

Bulimba30A

Quote from: tramtrain on August 10, 2011, 08:29:19 AM
Whether it is a single BUZ or a combined route high frequency corridor (which is my preference), it should be limited stops.  The idea of limited stops is to get people from the outer suburbs to their destination quicker.  It works on all other major arterials in Brisbane and all high frequency/BUZes are limited stops (except 196 and 199 which are relatively short routes).  Why is Wynnum Rd different?

I agree! SPEED! The BUZ network is about high service characteristics- high speed, high frequency, high service hour span, NO COMPROMISE.

As for 196/199 being exceptions, I think this is a retro-justification. The 199 should have stops weeded out so that it is faster. Same for 196, we aren't playing trams anymore, a Core Frequent Networks needs to tackle the car and that means SPEED. CityGlider is probably a bit too spaced out at 800m apart, somewhere in the range of 600-750m should be OK IMHO.

Oh, and TransLink has now closed one of the 196 bus stops near Dornoch Tce/Gladstone Rd intersection. It was on a hilly unsafe area and there is now a guard rail in front of it. The stop near St. Ita's should be weeded out and 198 should be steam ironed or abolished!

I think one of the first major improvements in the Brisbane network was the introduction of the Cityxpress system in the early 80's.  From what I understand the original idea has its infancy in trying to mimic railway stations (ie one stop per suburb) and becoming more closely spaced the further out you get. 

I remember the old 505 from Carindale was incredibly quick for a bus on a surface road (21 minutes to Carindale I think), particularly when using the Expressway.  That has become less so over the years as more intermediate stops have been included, but I think the concept is still sound.  I think this is one feature of the network that actually does work well (with people congregating at express stops) for a faster trip for everyone.  For example, the limited stops I would propose on the Wynnum Rd corridor (west of cannon Hill) would be :

• Barrack Rd
    Colmslie
    Morningside station
    Norman Park Ferry
    Mowbray Park
    Shaftson Ave rocket stop.

somebody

Quote from: dwb on August 10, 2011, 10:41:06 AM
Bureaucrats aren't permitted to make announcements,
More correctly, only authorised bureaucrats can make announcements.

dwb

Quote from: Simon on August 10, 2011, 15:18:10 PM
Quote from: dwb on August 10, 2011, 10:41:06 AM
Bureaucrats aren't permitted to make announcements,
More correctly, only authorised bureaucrats can make announcements.

Splitting hairs, the guy who let slip would not be authorised.

dwb

Quote from: dwb on August 10, 2011, 23:04:05 PM

Damnit, I hate it when that happens... maybe he is, just saw this afternoon's construction update where the date is prominently repeated again:

QuoteThe Eastern Busway is almost complete in
preparation for buses to run from Monday, 29
August – less than three weeks from now!

On Saturday, 13 August, work will be undertaken
on Constance Street to install a speed platform.
In order to safely complete this work, the affected
section of Constance Street will be closed to
vehicular traffic between 7 am and 5 pm. 
Left turn access to Logan Road from Constance and
Gladys streets will be closed. However, access will
be via Gladys and Laura streets to Old Cleveland
Road and Logan Road (see map).
Traffic control officers will be present to assist
motorists and pedestrians.
What to expect:
• temporary partial closure of Constance Street
• access to Old Cleveland and Logan roads via Gladys
and Laura streets
• some vibration when new asphalt is laid
• trucks and rollers with reverse beepers
• noise associated with machinery.
Work is subject to suitable weather conditions and if it
cannot be completed as scheduled, it will be undertaken
on the next suitable day. 
Thank you for your ongoing patience throughout these
activities. We look forward to sharing the completed
busway with you in the near future.

WTN

The Eastern busway from the Buranda/Stones Corner end does look nearly complete. Over the last few weeks, I've seen the final concreting of the roadway, machinery moved out of the Logan Rd "yards", lighting progressively installed and switched on, etc. There's a few things still being worked on, like the conversion and landscaping of Beata St into a walkway to Stones Corner station. Opening the busway at the end of August looks possible.
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

Golliwog

Last I had heard when I was there was mid-September, but that was a few months ago now. Plus even then there wasn't much really left to do, I would believe late August would be very do-able.
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Mr X

Date is up again???

QuoteFrom Monday 29 August, TransLink is introducing a new bus service package to coincide with the opening of the newest section of the Eastern Busway.

The Eastern Busway service package will deliver more than 100,000 additional weekly seats, 31 new buses, new bus stops and five new bus routes.

This service package will provide TransLink customers with:

Brisbane Transport new services
P205
P217
Changed and improved services
P206 and P207
Veolia Transport
250 and 270
Changes to Carindale and Garden City bus interchanges
Carindale Interchange
Garden City Interchange
Old Cleveland Road bus stop changes
Coorparoo West (Main Avenue and Old Cleveland Road)
These substantial service improvements mean more seats, higher frequencies, shorter travel times and five brand new bus routes for customers in Brisbane's eastern suburbs.

Read more about the about the Eastern Busway.

http://translink.com.au/travel-information/service-updates/eastern-busway-bus-services
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

somebody

Quote from: dwb on August 10, 2011, 23:04:05 PM
I don't believe that for one second. Authorising something by mistake isn't the same issue.

somebody

From the Translink website, link: http://translink.com.au/travel-information/services-and-timetables/buses
QuoteNew stops at the Gabba & Coorparoo for route 200
Print increase text size reset text size decrease text size

To coincide with the opening of the newest section of the Eastern Busway, TransLink is installing two new bus stops:

'Kingfisher Creek' on Deshon Street, Woolloongabba
   'Easts Leagues Club' on Main Avenue, Coorparoo.

This is great news if you catch route 200 - from Monday 29 August, you'll be able to get on and off at these new stops, giving you more boarding options between Coorparoo and the Woolloongabba busway station.

New timetable to be published soon.

QuoteCoorparoo West bus stop changes

From Monday 29 August, changes will be made the Coorparoo West bus stops near Old Cleveland Road, to coincide with the opening of the newest section of the Eastern Busway.
Removal of Coorparoo West, Main Avenue (inbound) bus stop

The inbound Coorparoo West, Main Avenue (Old Cleveland Road) bus stop will be removed.

The following services will be affected:

200 (Carindale to City)
   P206 (Carindale to City)
   P207 (Carina to City)
   209 (Carindale to University of Queensland)
   222 (Carindale to Roma Street busway station).

The nearest stop available for P206, P207, 209 and 222 buses is the new Langlands Park busway station (approximately 194 metres away).

The closest available stop for route 200 buses is the Easts Leagues Club (approxmately 150 metres away).
Service changes for buses using Coorparoo West, Old Cleveland Road (outbound) stop

The following services will no longer use the outbound stop located at Coorparoo West on Old Cleveland Road, from Monday 29 August:

200 (City to Carindale)
   P206 (City to Carindale)
   P207 (City to Carina)
   209 (University of Queensland to Carindale)
   222 (Roma Street busway station to Carindale).

The nearest stop available for P206, P207, 209 and 222 buses is the new Langlands Park busway station (approximately 194 metres away).

The closest available stop for route 200 buses is the Easts Leagues Club (approxmately 350 metres away).

QuoteAdditional Sunday services for route 204

From Monday 29 August, additional Sunday services will be introduced on route 204.

Customers will now have access to an additional 24 trips every Sunday.

This means that route 204 will now operate every half an hour on Sundays and public holidays.

QuoteResidents in Carindale Heights and along Scrub Road (between Cribb Road and Aspen Street) will have access to public transport services for the first time from Monday 29 August.

New route P205 will run from Carindale Heights on Scrub Road to the city, via Carindale, the Buranda busway station and the Captain Cook Bridge. It won't enter the Carindale bus interchange; instead, the service will stop outside the shopping centre on Winstanley Street.

Route P205 will run every 10 minutes between 6-9am and 4pm-7pm, Monday to Friday only, and will be a prepaid service. You must have a valid TransLink ticket before boarding.

QuoteMinor bus stop changes for P206 and P207

From Monday 29 August, minor bus stop changes will be made to routes P206 (Carindale to City) and P207 (Carina to City) due to the opening of the newest section of the Eastern Busway.

P206 and P207 will no longer service the following stops:

Coorparoo West, Main Avenue (farside Old Cleveland Road)
   Coorparoo West, Old Cleveland Road (farside Main Avenue).

Route P206 and P207 services will enter the Eastern Busway at Stones Corner at Main Avenue and service the Langlands Park and Stones Corner busway stations before rejoining the South East Busway and continuing to the city.

Customers will need to walk 194 metres to the Langlands Park busway station.

QuoteThrough the new Eastern Busway for route 209

For a quicker journey to and from UQ, from Monday 29 August route 209 (Carindale to UQ Lakes) will no longer service Woolloongabba busway station.

After stopping at Carindale, Carina, Camp Hill, Kismet Street and Coorparoo, route 209 will zip through the new Eastern Busway to UQ Lakes, servicing Langlands Park, Stones Corner, Buranda, PA Hospital, Boggo Road and Dutton Park along the way.

If you need to get to Woolloongabba from Carindale or any of the stops along Old Cleveland Road, you can easily catch, route 250, 270 or the high frequency route 200 - there's one every 10 minutes in peak and 15 minutes off-peak every day of the week.

If you need to get to Woolloongabba from UQ or vice versa, you can easily catch the new inner city route 29; it runs every 15 minutes from 7am to 7pm, Monday to Friday (UQ semesters only).

QuoteNew local service for Cannon Hill and Belmont

From Monday 29 August, new route 213 will give Cannon Hill and Belmont residents a fast and frequent peak hour service to Carindale, with quick connections to the city on routes 200 and 222.

A local service, route 213 will run from Cannon Hill Shopping Centre to the Carindale bus interchange every 10 minutes between 6am-9am and 4pm-7pm, Monday to Friday.

The service will recognise the same stops at current route 215 along Wynnum, Belmont and Meadowlands Road, and Baynes, Cadogan and Bedivere Streets to Carindale.

QuoteMore route 222 services on weekdays and weekends

From Monday 29 August, there'll be a route 222 service every 10 minutes in peak and every 15 minutes off-peak, between 6am and 11pm, seven days a week.

And route 222 will no longer be a pre-paid service, so if you don't have a go card, you'll be able to buy a single paper ticket. But remember, you can save 30% on the price of a single paper ticket with go card!

With the new and improved route 222 - you'll be on your way in 15 minutes or less!
Through the new Eastern Busway for route 222

Route 222 will zip through the new Eastern Busway, servicing the Stones Corner, Langlands Park busway stations before joining the South East Busway at Buranda and continuing on into the city.

The best thing about travelling through the Eastern Busway is that you'll avoid the congestion through Woolloongabba, on a fast, frequent and reliable service any time of day.

New timetable to be published soon.

QuoteVeolia services to travel on the Eastern Busway

From Monday 29 August, to improve travel times, all Veolia services will travel to and from Brisbane City along the newest section of the Eastern Busway.
Langlands Park busway station

Inbound services

No inbound Veolia services will stop at Langlands Park busway station.
   Routes 250 and 270 will only stop at Stones Corner and Buranda busway stations and continue to Brisbane City.
   Routes 251, 257, 265, 267, 271, 273 and 275 will travel direct from Chandler to Buranda busway station and continue to Brisbane City.

Outbound services

No outbound Veolia services will stop at Langlands Park busway station.
   Routes 250 and 270 will only stop at Woolloongabba, Buranda and Stones Corner busway stations.
   Routes 251, 257, 265, 267, 271, 273 and 275 will travel direct from Brisbane City to Buranda busway station and continue to Chandler.

Stones Corner busway station

Inbound services

Routes 250 and 270 will service Stones Corner busway station.
   Routes 251, 257, 265, 267, 271, 273 and 275 will not stop at Stones Corner busway station. These services will travel direct from Chandler to Buranda busway station via the Eastern Busway before continuing to Brisbane City.

Outbound services

Routes 250, N250 and 270 will service Stones Corner busway station.
   Routes 251, 257, 265, 267, 271, 273 and 275 will not service Stones Corner busway station. These services will travel direct from Brisbane City to Buranda busway station and continue to Chandler via the Eastern Busway.

QuoteChanges to 250 and 270 services on Logan Rd

From Monday 29 August, routes 250, N250 and 270 along Logan Road will be changing to coincide with the opening of the newest section of the Eastern Busway

Routes 250 and 270 will no longer stop at the inbound stop in Stones Corner (near Old Cleveland and Logan Roads).

Routes 250, N250 and 270 will no longer stop at the outbound stop in Stones Corner (near Old Cleveland and Logan Roads).

Customers who use these services from Logan Road will need to make their way to the new Stones Corner busway station, approximately 200 metres away.

QuoteNew route 29 from Woolloongabba to UQ

From Monday 29 August, the new inner city bus route 29 will get you from Woolloongabba to UQ Lakes in less than 10 minutes, stopping at Boggo Road, PA Hospital and Dutton Park along the way.

Route 29 will operate every 15 minutes between 7am and 7pm, Monday to Friday during UQ uni semesters.

It's is easy to connect to the rest of the network as there are plenty of services that leave from major busway stations along the route, like PA Hospital and Woolloongabba.

And remember, more frequent services means less time waiting, so you can just turn up and go!

The introduction of new route 29 will allow route 209 buses to now travel a faster route to and from UQ through the new Eastern Busway.

Further to what I've previously said:
Didn't know P205 would extend so far on Scrub Rd.  I'd wonder if this service would be better provided via Pine Mountain Rd or Wecker Rd?

I think having the Veolia Rockets continue to serve Buranda is a bad idea.  There is a need for a reduction in congestion there, and having them serve Stone's Corner instead of Buranda is quite a reasonable way of doing so.  Although it does reduce the frequency of services which can be interchanged to.

Build it but don't use it.

dwb

Quote from: Simon on August 13, 2011, 10:51:03 AM
I think having the Veolia Rockets continue to serve Buranda is a bad idea.  There is a need for a reduction in congestion there, and having them serve Stone's Corner instead of Buranda is quite a reasonable way of doing so.  Although it does reduce the frequency of services which can be interchanged to.

Surely the point is that eastern customers need to be able to travel south and southerly passengers may also travel east. I think overall your perspective is too tightly focussed on radial peak hour customers, just like Translink and BCC! A good network needs to accomodate other people's trips and definitely needs to service customers other than just peak hour radial ones!

ed. spelling correction

dwb

Missed the info about 590

QuoteHome Travel information Service updates New high frequency, cross town route 590
New high frequency, cross town route 590
Print
increase text size
reset text size
decrease text size

From Monday 29 August, leave the car at home and catch TransLink's first high frequency, cross town service from Garden City to Number 1 Airport Drive.

Route 590 will operate from the Garden City Shopping Centre to Number 1 Airport Drive, via the Cannon Hill Shopping Centre, Carindale bus interchange and Gateway Motorway. Four different shopping centres will be serviced—Westfield Garden City, Westfield Carindale, Cannon Hill Shopping Centre and the Airport DFO.

Route 590 will operate:

between 5.30am-7pm, Monday to Friday, and 7am-7pm weekends and public holidays
every 15 minutes during peak and every 30 minutes off peak (including weekends and public holidays).
Residents along Creek Road will have access to Sunday and public holiday services for the first time.

Affected Services

Route 590

Bulimba30A

Quote from: dwb on August 13, 2011, 11:14:00 AM
I think having the Veolia Rockets continue to serve Buranda is a bad idea.  There is a need for a reduction in congestion there, and having them serve Stone's Corner instead of Buranda is quite a reasonable way of doing so.  Although it does reduce the frequency of services which can be interchanged to.

Surely the point is that eastern customers need to be able to travel south and southerly passengers may also travel east. I think overall you're perspective is too tightly focussed on radial peak hour customers, just like Translink and BCC! A good network needs to accomodate other people's trips and definitely needs to service customers other than just peak hour radial ones!

I agree

Quote from: dwb on August 13, 2011, 11:19:57 AM
Missed the info about 590

QuoteHome Travel information Service updates New high frequency, cross town route 590
New high frequency, cross town route 590
Print
increase text size
reset text size
decrease text size

From Monday 29 August, leave the car at home and catch TransLink’s first high frequency, cross town service from Garden City to Number 1 Airport Drive.

Route 590 will operate from the Garden City Shopping Centre to Number 1 Airport Drive, via the Cannon Hill Shopping Centre, Carindale bus interchange and Gateway Motorway. Four different shopping centres will be serviced—Westfield Garden City, Westfield Carindale, Cannon Hill Shopping Centre and the Airport DFO.

Route 590 will operate:

between 5.30am-7pm, Monday to Friday, and 7am-7pm weekends and public holidays
every 15 minutes during peak and every 30 minutes off peak (including weekends and public holidays).
Residents along Creek Road will have access to Sunday and public holiday services for the first time.

Affected Services

Route 590

I must say its not lost on me the point that some people are getting public transport services for the first tme (eg Creek Road and Scrub Road).  At least its happening now I suppose.

somebody

I think having the Veolia Rockets continue to serve Buranda is a bad idea.  There is a need for a reduction in congestion there, and having them serve Stone's Corner instead of Buranda is quite a reasonable way of doing so.  Although it does reduce the frequency of services which can be interchanged to.

Surely the point is that eastern customers need to be able to travel south and southerly passengers may also travel east.
Given that I was talking about rockets, I don't think so really.  And who would travel Eastern Region-south via Buranda?  Routes like the 280+260 make much more sense than interchanging at Buranda for this minority.

I guess we'll see what the congestion at Buranda is like from 29 August.

QuoteI think overall you're perspective is too tightly focussed on radial peak hour customers, just like Translink and BCC! A good network needs to accomodate other people's trips and definitely needs to service customers other than just peak hour radial ones!
Ooh, that's an insult.  Peak hour is the biggest opportunity for public transport, outside of events, and it is falling short in BrisVegas.

#Metro

I think the 590 should be extended to Toombul and the 599/598 service in this section withdrawn.
Savings from the removal of 599/598 should be placed back into the 590
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Bulimba30A

Quote from: Simon on August 13, 2011, 11:32:05 AM

Surely the point is that eastern customers need to be able to travel south and southerly passengers may also travel east.
Given that I was talking about rockets, I don't think so really.  And who would travel Eastern Region-south via Buranda?  Routes like the 280+260 make much more sense than interchanging at Buranda for this minority.

Point taken, the problem for 260/280 is frequency, particularly in peak. 

I think what the transport figures are indicating is that commuters travelling to the City in peak, generally, have access to workable public transport.  But it seems most other travel is done by car.  In order to try and get more of those people to use public transport, a good "network", cross town and interchange system is needed (which is legible) as you cannot have a one seat journey to cater for those disparate journeys.

I suppose that is the reason why my solutions centre around interchange points and look at the network as a whole rather than routes individually and is why I would discourage buses from bypassing interchange points.

Bulimba30A

Quote from: tramtrain on August 13, 2011, 11:50:32 AM
I think the 590 should be extended to Toombul and the 599/598 service in this section withdrawn.
Savings from the removal of 599/598 should be placed back into the 590

I agree with the extension to Toombul, which would allow connections from the northern train lines as well.

I disagree with removing 598/599 though, that is one major detour between Cannon Hill and Toombul and 590 provides no connection to the Cleveland line.  As previously discussed, that is a useful connection from the bayside to Carindale (although I suspect not widely used).

🡱 🡳