• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Bus Routes which need fixing

Started by #Metro, July 30, 2009, 10:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The worst bus route in brisbane

Is a 400 series bus
Is a 300 series bus
Is a 200 series bus
Is a 100 series bus
Other

#Metro

Just thought I'd start a thread on which were the worst bus routes in Brisbane, and what could be done about them.
It might be the frequency, the route being too long/short, time issues...

Which is the worst route in Brisbane?
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

david

I'll keep my comments to western routes because I'm pretty familiar with them...

467: This route needs to be extended to service the Edenbrooke estate. My suggested route extension is (going towards Oxley) - (R) Edenbrooke Drive, (L) Alphatonia Street, (R) Hounslow Way, (L) Duporth Road, (L) Seventeen Mile Rocks Road, U-turn at roundabout (like the 468 does), then normal route to Oxley station. The 467 is currently very underutilised, and this route extension may help may the service more popular.

451: The afternoon buses really peeve me off. Connections with trains at Darra are awkward and mostly rely on the off-chance that the train gets to Darra early. My suggestion is to have the buses departing at 3:52pm, 4:13pm, 4:42pm, 5:06pm, 5:29pm, 5:50pm, 6:14pm and 6:37pm.

462: A similar problem exists, only in morning peak. The 6:46am, 7:00am, and 7:31am services need to depart 5 minutes earlier to connect with the trains which depart just as the bus pulls into Darra.

402/412 - The 412 should have a reduced frequency (every 15 minutes) as the 109 carries most of the students to and from UQ these days. The spare buses would allow for 402 services to be run every 5 minutes as a loop service during peak times (7:15am to 9:30am and 3:30pm to 6:30pm) e.g. departing Toowong - 7:15am (412), 7:20am (402), 7:25am (402), 7:30am (412), 7:35am (402), etc.

101/102/103 - These services desperately need an upgrade of frequency to at least every 30 minutes during peak (for each route). The number of people driving to Darra/Oxley from the areas serviced by these two routes is astounding. These services have quite a lot of potential to be feeder services. Also, during off-peak, the 101/102 should be made to connect with Shorncliffe-bound services at Corinda, rather than the Caboolture-bound services, otherwise, going to Corinda would be rather pointless.

454/455 - These buses should be run alternating each other, e.g. 7:00am (454), 7:10am (455), 7:20am (454), 7:30am (455), etc. Same should be done for afternoon peak. This would help to make the 454/455 more reliable and one of those "throw away your timetable" routes.
I would actually like to see the frequency of each route reduced to 30 minutes (15 minutes in between the 454 and 455), rather than the 20 mintues currently, and an increase to the 452 frequency, to encourage people to catch the bus to Darra and then catch a train to the city.

109/66 - I realise that this route has been discussed at length somewhere else, but I would like to see the 109 abolished and the 66 bus made a RBWH to UQ Lakes service, every 5 minutes in both directions during peak and every 10 minutes off-peak. I believe that this service could become more popular than the 199 (in terms of patronage) and would use less buses than the 109 and 66 currently use during peak.

I have a couple more ideas with regards to new routes and terminating routes at key busway stations (like PA Hospital) to reduce congestion at Cultural Centre, but I'll have to refine them first, otherwise I may face a backlash  :D

WTN

I personally would like to see route 471 (City-Mt Cootha) running later into the evening, especially on Friday and Saturday nights.  The last service leaving Mt Cootha summit on Saturday is often quite busy (most seats taken or a few standing), presumably because if you miss this one, you'll have to find some other way getting down.  I'm thinking a Nightlink service could be used to get diners and partygoers to and from the summit, and ease any parking problems that might occur.  Since the route is already treacherous, the street zig-zagging and looping around Birdwood Tce could be cut out for a safer trip at night.  The timing could also be adjusted so that it allows easy rail transfers at Milton Station.

EDIT: Visited Mt Cootha summit on a Saturday evening (by someone else's car) and carpark was quite full.  One could see cars regularly moving around the summit roads.  Our car space was taken as soon as we left.  Lots of visitors.  Seemed like a popular night time destination.  Last service at 5pm is too early.  Bring on the N471!
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

stephenk

The 333 needs improved frequency. It's often overcrowded at RCH Herston in the am and pm peaks (particularly outbound am and inbound pm). The current 10min peak frequency needs further enhancing.

The alternative is ramping up frequency on the other Northern Busway routes 330 and/or 340, extending the 393 to Roma Street, or extending the 66 to RBWH (which may thus also need a capacity increase).
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2007 - 7tph
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2010 - 4tph
* departures from Central between 16:30 and 17:30.

#Metro

The new busway around UQ (UQ being the second most popular destination after the CBD) opens up all sorts of possibilities.

Quote109/66 - I realise that this route has been discussed at length somewhere else, but I would like to see the 109 abolished and the 66 bus made a RBWH to UQ Lakes service, every 5 minutes in both directions during peak and every 10 minutes off-peak. I believe that this service could become more popular than the 199 (in terms of patronage) and would use less buses than the 109 and 66 currently use during peak.

Southside
Abolish 109, replace with extended 66. Routes 104, 105, 108 and 107 are a mess and should all be reviewed and re-routed. They are an important link between the Beenleigh-Ipswich lines, as the Tennyson trains rarely run, and also Indooroopilly.

Route 104 (rail replacement) terminates at PA hospital, is almost always empty.

Route 105 does a massive time wasting loop (10-15 min?) in Yeronga, this loop should be cut off and funds used to re-route and upgrade 107 or 108. Route 105 should also stop directly outside the Tennyson tennis centre front entrance- where there are high density residential towers and tennis centre patrons. Unfortunately, it currently runs around the perimeter of the Tennis Centre precinct, so far away that it almost deliberately looks like it wants to keep away from passengers! Consider possibility of 105 doing a loop over the Eleanor Schonell Bridge to UQ and using the busway tunnel.

Route 108- has two or three services a day only. If route 105 were abolished, these routes should be transferred to route 108.

107- Re-route this as a lot of its trip is running along parkland where nobody lives! This route should run a 'hairpin' shaped route (similar to the current 105) through Yeronga to terminate at Yeronga Station/shopping centre/RSL. It would pass but not terminate at Wanganui river gardens.

198 Hail and Ride- alter route so that it goes via Boggo Road, PA Hospital Busway.

Westside

476: Consider abolishing, and transfer trips to 475
470 & 416: Consideration be given to
(a) 470 finishing in the CBD.
(b) Altering route 416 to take over the rest of the journey to Tennerife Ferry.

The logic for this would be to create an Toowong-CBD-Valley-New Farm cross city service via Coronation Drive.
416 running along coronation drive would attract more people to catch the service, and with all those corporate offices in Auchenflower/Milton take these employees to where they live (NB: planners would have to check demographics/travel data for people living in New Farm). Trains already run to the valley, but so does 470. This would be just be swapping numbers over/route alteration

A bus route for Indooroopilly-Swann Rd-Gailey fiveways and then as per route 411 to the city when 427/428 is not running or when there are gaps. Swann Rd is full of students in higher density buildings, and they have to change at Indooroopilly/UQ to go to the city or wait for the infrequent 411.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

david

Thought I'd share some more of my ideas...

412 - This bus really needs to terminate at King George Square station, if the 66 extension idea goes ahead. I have thought of a fairly efficient way of the 412 doing so.

Inbound
Normal route along North Quay, (L) Turbot Street, enter slip lane to enter INB, right at lights, Terminate Platform 2D (Platform 2 is used more for drop-offs than pickups, so using 2D as a terminus won't cause massive passenger congestion)

Outbound
- Pick up passengers at 2D, use bus turnaround, exit at portal after KGS, (L) at lights, (R) Ann Street, onto Riverside Expressway and continue normal route

443/444 - Use Platform 2C as a result of 412 using 2D.

458 - I think the current route should be diverted to Darra station, using the following route:

Normal route up to Centenary Highway, follow Sinnamon Road to Centenary Highway Westbound on-ramp, exit Sumners Road off-ramp, follow 452 to Darra station.

For the afternoon, do the opposite except exit at Mt Ommaney off-ramp, (L) at roundabout, (L) Dandenong Road, (L) into Shopping Centre and then normal route as per the morning. The service would run every 20 minutes.

459 - The current route should be canned and replaced by a Riverhills-Mt Ommaney-Jindalee to UQ route. The route would follow the 450 as an all-stops service up to Indooroopilly, where it would then act as a 427 to UQ. The service would run half-hourly peak and hourly off-peak.

457 - Extra services to fill gaps created by the loss of the 458/459 services

427 - This route should be abolished as passengers could easily use the 428 (The frequency for the 427 at Chapel Hill is terrible, so passengers wouldn't be too upset about this)

428/432/new 459 - These buses should be run so that they depart Indooroopilly for UQ at 20 minute intervals on weekdays off-peak and 10 minute intervals peak.

Sunbus610

Not so much a bus route change more just re-numbering, the once a day 'express' route 322 service (5:15pm from City Plaza) should be re-numbered to say route 319 as quite a few commuters (especially along Adelaide Street) get confused thinking that it's the usual 'all stops' 322 bus service.
Proud to be a Sunshine Coaster ..........

#Metro

I've noticed a lot of '4XX' routes appearing. Should the idea of a western busway be considered?

Arnz

Quote from: tramtrain on August 12, 2009, 23:35:35 PM
I've noticed a lot of '4XX' routes appearing. Should the idea of a western busway be considered?

No point when you got a underutilised (at least in the off-peak) 4-track railway line along this corridor.   
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

O_128

Quote from: arnz on August 13, 2009, 00:49:45 AM

No point when you got a underutilised (at least in the off-peak) 4-track railway line along this corridor.  

Definently not. where would you put it? the rail tunnel to toowong is better idea jsut extend it to st lucia.
"Where else but Queensland?"

ButFli

Quote from: arnz on August 13, 2009, 00:49:45 AM

Hey, hang on a minute! The 400 series bus routes do not (for the most part) service the same corridor as the Ipswich railway! I'd like to see you get to Kenmore on the train!

Bring on the Western Busway, I say. Or at least bring back the T3 lanes and extend them all the way out past Indooro shops. Non-rail public transport in the Western Suburbs is a joke.

#Metro

Yeah, you can't run buses on tracks!  :-w Try that with route 444! :o

:is- Ideally a busway would run from Kenmore/Indro and then meet the rail line at Toowong ( a bit how like the Boggo Rd busway and how it meets Park Rd Station). Then it would run (a) underneath coronation drive or (b) run through Rosalie/Paddington/Milton. I don't think that it would be wrong to run it parallel to the rail lines as they serve different commuters at different distances and also it creates a synergy between train and bus services. There is already precedent where the Valley-CBD-South Brisbane-South Bank-Buranda busway/bus routes "duplicate" the Beenleigh line (and SE Freeway). Yet the busway is extremely well used.

The busways would not have to even be continuous. They could be built in stages, separate from each other initially.
Toowong really could do with a busway station (underneath the Toowong Shopping Centre Car park?). Moggil Road and Coronation Drive is effectively choked with traffic every day, blocking all buses such as 412, 444, 433, 450s, 598/9s etc. Indeed, if done carefully, the route could meet Toowong Station, travel in a tunnel under the Brisbane River and then continue through West End (above or underground) to meet Cultural Centre.  ::) Hmm. Imagine how quick that would be? And it would really lend support to a new Adelaide St dedicated green bus/walk/cycle bridge.

#Metro

... and isnt the Ipswich line just bursting at the seams?

O_128

Quote from: tramtrain on August 13, 2009, 10:15:27 AM
Yeah, you can't run buses on tracks!  :-w Try that with route 444! :o

:is- Ideally a busway would run from Kenmore/Indro and then meet the rail line at Toowong ( a bit how like the Boggo Rd busway and how it meets Park Rd Station). Then it would run (a) underneath coronation drive or (b) run through Rosalie/Paddington/Milton. I don't think that it would be wrong to run it parallel to the rail lines as they serve different commuters at different distances and also it creates a synergy between train and bus services. There is already precedent where the Valley-CBD-South Brisbane-South Bank-Buranda busway/bus routes "duplicate" the Beenleigh line (and SE Freeway). Yet the busway is extremely well used.

The busways would not have to even be continuous. They could be built in stages, separate from each other initially.
Toowong really could do with a busway station (underneath the Toowong Shopping Centre Car park?). Moggil Road and Coronation Drive is effectively choked with traffic every day, blocking all buses such as 412, 444, 433, 450s, 598/9s etc. Indeed, if done carefully, the route could meet Toowong Station, travel in a tunnel under the Brisbane River and then continue through West End (above or underground) to meet Cultural Centre.  ::) Hmm. Imagine how quick that would be? And it would really lend support to a new Adelaide St dedicated green bus/walk/cycle bridge.

or we could save money and just put buslanes on the centerery highway and coro drive. or get station buses to go from kenmore to indro instead of to the city.

ButFli

They could build a raised busway between Toowong and the City on top of the railway and have it hook into the busway network at Roma St. It would have to be cheaper than building a tunnel!

#Metro

Re: Centenary highway. There is a preserved corridor around here. It appears as option #7 in the Western Brisbane Transport Network Investigation (WNTBI) that was concluded in 2008. Link here.

Bus lanes would be good in the interim, however the pressure on Coro drive and Milton Road is quite big.
I think there was a proposal to widen Milton Rd to six lanes, but it was canned? Perhaps a busway could go along here.

In any case, Toowong is pretty bad in the morning/afternoon with large volumes of people using Moggill Rd to get onto coro drive. Transferring from bus to train at this point is also a hazard and a nightmare.

O_128

Is it to much to ask that at buranda,park road, and roma street stations passengers for the South east,Boggo and northern busways to change trains at the station .

david

Lol...that is possibly my fault. I am really peeved off about the situation with the 4XX services at the moment as Translink doesn't see to care about them. I have sent emails with the above suggestions to them, only to be infomred that they would be considered in the next Network Plan (in 2011). For those who haven't realised, the last major change for buses in the western suburbs was the introduction of the 444 BUZ, which was in Feburary 2008!

Quote from: ButFli on August 13, 2009, 12:40:54 PM
They could build a raised busway between Toowong and the City on top of the railway and have it hook into the busway network at Roma St. It would have to be cheaper than building a tunnel!

I believe that I have posted my ideas of a western busway on a different thread before, but I don't think this is a very good idea. It really needs to run along Milton Road, before turning into Jephson St and tunnel to Toowong station, before following Moggill Road to Indooroopilly (new bus station near the Myer entrance) and then turning onto the Centenary Highway. Mt Ommaney Shopping Centre should be the final station on the western busway. I believe that there were plans for a busway to follow the Northern Link tunnel to connect near Normanby station - this might not be a bad idea, especially since there is no space to connect it at Roma Street. Plus, it would service the areas of Bardon and Paddington. Bus lanes would link Kenmore and St Lucia/UQ to the busway.

To those critics who say that there would be too many houses resumed, or the terrain is too difficult to work with, or it will cost too much - look at the Eastern Busway from Buranda to Coorparoo. There is a tunnel and transition structure every couple of hundreds of metres or so. Plus it's price tag is $465.8 million for 1.05 km. :o

Oh...and for those who point at the Ipswich rail line - I simply point at the Beenleigh and Cleveland lines. 4 stations along that line currently have busway access. Translated to the Ipswich line, that means that Taringa, Toowong, Auchenflower and Milton should all have busway stations too.

(End rant)

#Metro

QuoteIs it to much to ask that at buranda,park road, and roma street stations passengers for the South east, Boggo and northern busways to change trains at the station.

This is an existing problem with 4XX buses. Putting more trains on the Ipswich line is unlikely to help because the bus can't even get near the station in a timely manner (congestion, routing practicalities), and proper busway-rail interchanges on the Ipswich line of similar standard to the Boggo Rd-Park Rd interchange are non-existent.

Forcing everyone in the western suburbs to break their journey in half and interchange at Indooroopilly or Toowong seems unfair to this part of Brisbane, and would certainly overload the Ipswich line, and introduce time penalties for the inconvenience of changing and breaking journeys that were previously continuous.

I'm worried that people may well decide to use their car and go via the western freeway/coro-drive.

O_128

Quote from: O_128 on August 13, 2009, 18:58:45 PM
Is it to much to ask that at buranda,park road, and roma street stations passengers for the South east,Boggo and northern busways to change trains at the station .

sorry what i meant is for the guards on trains to announce these transfers.

ButFli

I'd just like to add the 411 to list of messed up bus routes. I almost missed handing in an assignment because the 411 was overloaded with passengers from UQ wanting to go to Toowong. The bus driver initially refused me entry when I tried to board on Swann Road but after a few people got off he was nice enough to let me on. Two people at the stop after mine were not so lucky. Once we got to Toowong half the load emptied and there were spare seats for the rest of the journey to the city!

It is not right that the 20-minute frequencied 411 is overloaded with passengers when there are better-than-10-minute 412s (with 402s on top of that, too). The 402 should be made an express UQ-Toowong shuttle and no other bus should be allowed to leave UQ without some spare capacity for St Lucia residents.

I am sick to death of being squished into a bus or missing it completely because UQ students are too pig headed to wait an extra 5 minutes for a more direct bus to arrive. It is not right!

#Metro

List of worst bus routes in Brisbane (Provisional)
101   Upgrade frequency, Bad connection to Rail
102   Upgrade frequency, Bad connection to Rail
103   Upgrade frequency
104   Underutilised, modify to terminate at UQ Lakes.
105   Alter route; Cut off massive time wasting loop in Yeronga, run through (not around) Tennyson Tennis centre. Remove gap in service between approx 8am and 9am.
107   Alter route; increase frequency
108   Alter route, increase frequency
109   Abolish, replace with extended 66
204 Extend to evening weekend services, every 30 min
330 Overcrowding, gap in timetable during the morning.
333   Increase frequency; overcrowding
322   Renumber specific afternoon trip to 319
402Increase frequency during peak; consider shuttle loop or rocket to Toowong
411   Sync with 402 so that it isn?t overloaded.
427   Abolish, transfer trips to 428 (All stops)
432   Increase frequency to 20 min, aim take load away from 428, possibly renumber to 427 and turn into Rocket to Indoroopilly, all stops thereafter.
451    Bad Connection to Rail
452   Increase frequency
454/455   Alternate the running pattern
458   Bad connection to Rail; access to Darra Stn.
459   Alter, replace with route to UQ (Chancellors Pl)
467    Extension required
462    Bad Connection Rail
470/416 Alter route/re-number. Transfer the portion of the route journey of 470 from the CBD to Valley over to 416
471   Potenially leaves people stranded atop Mt Coot-tha, esp. Friday & Sat
476   Abolish; transfer trips to 475

Routes in the western suburbs really do stick out as bad, closely followed by 10X buses. Bad connection to rail, difficult-to-predict frequency, low frequency are common complaints. The 200 and 300 series buses are noticeably absent from the list. Any comments or others to add?

ozbob

Excellent thread,  I will forward the information to the authorities in due course.

8)
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

#Metro

The list is provisional; I just need to look and see if I can run a poll on this forum... :-t

ozbob

Just message me when you work out what you would like in a poll Tramtrain and I can set something up over the weekend.

Cheers
Bob

#Metro

There are so many numbers, we'll go by series to narrow the field down first. :)

Otto

204 : Service needs to be upgraded to every 30 minutes after 6pm weekdays (currently 60 mins), Saturday evening/nights and every 30 minutes on Sundays (Currently 60 mins) .. Not good enough for a main line run servicing all stops along Old Cleveland Road.
Weekdays frequency during daylight hours is 15 minutes and often busy.
7 years at Bayside Buses
33 years at Transport for Brisbane
Retired and got bored.
1 year at Town and Country Coaches and having a ball !

stephenk

This afternoon I wanted to travel from RBWH to King George Sq via Inner Northern Busway (INB) to do a quick bit of shopping in the CBD. I arrived at RBWH station at 16:00. There were already approx 50 passengers waiting, so there obviously hadn't been an INB service (330,333,340) for some time. No INB service arrived until 16:13 (a 333). This filled to capacity, and I was unable to board. The next INB service arrived at 16:27 (another 333). I managed to just board this one! This bus then ran through RCH Herston without stopping as it was full - thus passengers waiting there would have waited for at least 30mins without being able to board a bus the CBD.

This chronic overcrowding on the INB is a daily occurrence, and is an absolute disgrace. Translink must know about it, as the drivers usually report to control that the bus is full. The INB overcrowding is actually staff at the RBWH and RCH off from using public transport! Despite the opening of RBWH busway station there has been no increase in bus services on the INB - please sort this out Translink now!!! 
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2007 - 7tph
Evening peak service to Enoggera* 2010 - 4tph
* departures from Central between 16:30 and 17:30.

WTN

Quote from: Otto on August 14, 2009, 18:58:29 PM
204 : Service needs to be upgraded to every 30 minutes after 6pm weekdays (currently 60 mins), Saturday evening/nights and every 30 minutes on Sundays (Currently 60 mins) .. Not good enough for a main line run servicing all stops along Old Cleveland Road.
Weekdays frequency during daylight hours is 15 minutes and often busy.

I was thinking maybe someone would comment on the 20X buses.  The 204 seems very crowded during afternoon peak hour.  Back in my uni days I often found it crush loaded outbound - more so than the 174/175, which have timings similar to what you suggested.  The roughly 10-15 minute frequency of the 174/175 doesn't drop off to 30 minutes until 7pm or later though, which makes a bit more sense. 
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

ozbob

Media Release 15 August 2009

SEQ: Bring on the Buz!

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport commuters has called for an increase in peak bus frequency on the Inner Northern Busway.

Robert Dow, spokesperson for RAIL Back On Track said:

"RAIL Back On Track members and public feedback have reported constant overloading and long waits for buses to board between the new busway station at RBWH, Herston, QUT Kelvin Grove, and the CBD (1,2)."

"The route 66 bus needs to be extended to RBWH and increased in frequency.  The introduction of a new bus route utilising the new and existing busways, essentially a combined route 66 and 109 would provide a one seat connection between all the major medical campuses in Brisbane, and UQ and QUT Kelvin Grove and assist in the overloads (3)."

"The problems of passengers not being able to board buses in timely manner is not encouraging continued use of public transport. The huge public transport infrastructure investment demands maximum use of the asset. It is not the time to stop the bus!"

References:

1.  SEQ: New busways are 'not buz-ing'!  http://backontrack.org/mbs/index.php?topic=2558.msg12540#msg12540

2.  Bus Routes which need fixing  http://backontrack.org/mbs/index.php?topic=2542.msg12872#msg12872

3.  SEQ: Where's our Buz?  http://backontrack.org/mbs/index.php?topic=2538.0

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org

p858snake

330 - Morning Runs: This is the one that goes from Chermside shops to Braken Ridge TAFE, Currently it is scheduled to stop at the shops at 8:03am, 8:30am and 9:00am in the morning (roughtly, i forget the exact times). The main issues are:
* Arrival times, it never makes the 8:03 stop on time, usually anywhere between 8:15 and 8:30
* The 8:30 bus doesn't appear to operate
* Over crowding, It is full when it leaves the shops so it can never pick up from zillmere rail leaving them the 9am one

The "8:03" bus is designed to stop at the TAFE at 8:30, now the issue is that most classes start at either 8:30 or 9am, so if the bus is late or full you can't get their till around 9:30 thus making you late for class.

This could easily be fixed with a extra run or two in-between the times, or possibly a express bus straight from the shops to the TAFE.

#Metro

Ok, I've added them to the list; Keep the comments coming, and vote! :)
I know that RACQ does the "worst roads in Brisbane" as an annual thing; perhaps worst route for the year could be something like that.

You can also nominate routes that do not exist!
A route might be bad because there is no current service for that area, despite demand/need.
To do this, specify the origin, destination and route via, and then type:

1XX- for southside
2XX- for eastside
3XX- for northside
4XX- for westside,

A short note would also help.

For example:
3XX (Kippa Ring to Northgate Station); Route does not exist- should exist to service area until railway is built.

ozbob

We have started doing an annual rating of public transport, see --> http://backontrack.org/mbs/index.php?board=32.0 for the 2008 ratings.

The intention is to repeat this again later this year.

:)

dwb

385 BUZ has quite a few problems!  As a buz it is meant to be timetable-less, frequent and reliable. Problem is, it isn't any of these.  The bus is standing room only for most of the day in both directions, at least between the city and bardon. In peak periods peak direction it is overloaded suppressing higher demand esp from Paddington passengers but also from passengers traveling to The Gap. In peak periods counter flow it is unreliable and many buses pass by with 'not in service' while passengers wait patiently at the stops.

Route 374 only runs 7-8 services in peak direction morning/night. It is often empty and gets caught in CBD traffic.  Passengers at Paddington let this service pass in order to get the 385 (often as they do with the 375).

I have already suggested to Council that the 374 becomes a 'sister' buz service to the 385 and run express stops via the Terraces (Latrobe,Given, Caxton) in Paddington via the INB and terminate at KGS.  This would improve service to Paddington, Bardon, Ashgrove and The Gap by drastically improving the 385 service.  It would also be a massive money spinner for Council as it would be extremely heavily patronised in and out of peak in both directions.

In future if Main Roads upgrades Macgregor Tce, or doesn't... the roundabout at Given and Macgregor Tces could be replaced with lights and a bus only turn around constructed on the spare block at the corner of Simpsons and Macgregor Tce, allowing the new 374 buz to service the Bardon centre on Macgregor Tce.

I believe many (if not all) of the buz routes are in a similar predicament.  There needs to be something equivalent to a "short" route for each service. This would improve inner city travel as well as outer city travel, prove fiscally sound and be a vote winner. I can't see any reason why not to, all that would be need to be done is board any bus from the city that is full and then offer the short service up to the point on the route where the bus is only 1/2 full, oh and a few bus round abouts to be built to allow services easy turnaround.

It might also be a good idea to invest in 3 door buses with wider aisles and doors for these 'short' routes.... peak hour passengers already stand on them anyway... so why not carry the most peak hour passengers as possible!!

ButFli

No offence dudes but the poll is flawed bigtime. People are going to vote based on where they live.

I live on the Westside so I only ever catch 4XX buses (pretty much). Of course I am going to vote 4XX because they are the only buses I ever catch!

Otto

Quote from: ButFli on August 16, 2009, 18:18:36 PM
No offence dudes but the poll is flawed bigtime. People are going to vote based on where they live.

I live on the Westside so I only ever catch 4XX buses (pretty much). Of course I am going to vote 4XX because they are the only buses I ever catch!

That was my thought as well, thus I have not voted.
7 years at Bayside Buses
33 years at Transport for Brisbane
Retired and got bored.
1 year at Town and Country Coaches and having a ball !

#Metro

Thanks ButFli for pointing out sample bias in the poll.
The way around this would be to pick one from each series :-)
Problem solved! ;)

Tramwayjohn

I have urged TRANSLINK to examine the "orbital" bus routes in Melbourne and the "Metrobus" system in Sydney, both of which are still under development.  However, both systems link existing bus routes into cross suburban services.

Extend route 100 to Kelvin Grove and link it to the 463 and 500 to form a Brisbane to Ipswich bus route. There are many similar opportunities throughout the Brisbane region. I am not talking about "new" bus routes as such, just linking existing routes! I have missed what should be a connection by seconds, more than once. In one case I had a one hour wait for the next bus!

John Coyle

david

104, 475 - Needs to be extended to PA Hospital station. There are some bus stops underneath the station - it could possibly terminate there.

105, 108 - Should terminate at Boggo Road station. Passengers for the city can easily catch the train.

107 - Terminate at either Yeerongpilly train station or Boggo Road station.

There also needs to be a major overhaul of bus routes in the Algester/Stretton/Calamvale area. There are just too many routes, making it too confusing and hence, most people opt for the BUZ routes (130,140,150), causing major overcrowding on these routes, which is totally unnecessary, considering the number of rockets/express buses which service the area (quite frequently as well).

There should be some feeder services from Sunnybank to Coopers Plains station, Stretton to Fruitgrove station, and Sunnybank Hills to Altandi station.

Tramwayjohn

I have used the route 104 many times and I agree that it should be extended. In fact I would like  a number of changes to the 104, as follows:

Build a bus stop at the front entrance of the PA so that the 104 and perhaps a couple of other routes could start from or operate via that stop. Totally drop the term "Railway Bus" as that is very confusing to people who think that a railway bus "must" mean that it operates for QR and it is not available for TRANSLINK ticket holders! Make the 104 into a normal  "all stops" service! I have contacted TRANSLINK regarding the 104, to no avail.

John Coyle

🡱 🡳