• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Article: Bus trips ride high

Started by ozbob, April 15, 2009, 04:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

From the Brisbane mX 14th April 2009 page 2

Bus trips ride high

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

Jon Bryant

Maybe I am just a old cynic but I find it interesting that BCC only wants/aloows investment in buses and then claims that it is the preferred mode of public transport.  It is a bit like a phone company only providing one phone and then claiming it is the preferred product by their customers.   The truth is that both/all modes of publci tarsnport are being used well over capacity and the true demand/peferences are unknown.

ozbob

Yes, you can look at these figures a number of ways.   QR Citytrain passenger journeys are 61 million, bus presently 68 million.  If you looked at from the point of view of passenger/kilometres then a different picture.  But, I don't want to get into that game what is important is an integrated public transport network utilising the respective strengths of all modes.

I predict that QR Citytrain will be carrying 100 million passengers per year in 5 years.  There is a considerable reserve in the rail network and as the new track and rolling stock comes on line we see this sort of growth.

Bus will continue to grow but not as great. We are starting reach capacity constraints on the busways (even the new ones will be at capacity shortly after opening).  Where I think we will see more growth in bus is in using more bus feeders and lateral routes.  Bus feeders to rail heads and bus stations on busways.

One full bus takes 40 cars off the road, one full 6 car suburban set takes 600 cars off the road. 

The missing link is high capacity light rail.  In time that will be necessary. 

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

Jon Bryant

Bob you are of course spot on. The key is the development of an integrated public transport network utilising the respective strengths of all modes.   I look forward to 5 min peak hour services on all lines in the rail network.  There is a bit more new track required on a number of lines (e.g. Fernery Grove and Clevland) to allow express trains to overtake all station ones.  Plus a fair bit of rolling stock is required to achive that as well.  I also believe there should be lot more line across SEQ as well.

I truely think we have reached the time for light rail now to replace the long haul bus routes on all major roads and establish feeder servies as you mention.  I also think light rail should be used to establish lateral routes agian along major roads to link rail stations/busway stops. 

With Translink now the Public Transport Authority I am intrigued by BCC stance essentially against light rail which is 2 fold, namely:

1.  their position that there will be no light rail in Brisbane - Do they have control over that position or just an influence role with Translink?; and
2.  their policy that no road space will be given over to public transport - again does Translink have any authroity to overide that position in the name of providing public transport.

🡱 🡳