• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Voodoo public transport economics

Started by Mozz, April 05, 2009, 15:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mozz

Listening to an interview with the new transport minister last week I was shocked  :o yes shocked to hear some of the advice she had been provided with respect to the proposal for free seniors travel on Sundays.  When the question was asked around free public transport for seniors on Sunday's she immediately went for the economic reasons why this initiative is currently not be done (but she did agree to examining it further), and from memory it was around the current "subsidy" that every passenger on public transport receives (around $3 per journey) thus around $12.0M would need to be found if the free travel on sundays were to be implemented.

ozbob

I am confident the Minister will give the issue due consideration and a fair fare run ...  ;)

It costs nothing (minor loss in present Sunday fare revenue from Seniors not withstanding), and taking a wider view will probably save the community money in terms of reduced health expenditures ...  If more Seniors are out and about more family/friends will also be out and about, overall increase in public transport use and revenue.

Other states recognise the significant social benefits.  Queensland is just not smart enough, they need prodding ..
Crikey, I just watched the 101 bus at Oxley station, 4 people on it!  Let's give Seniors the opportunity to use the under-utilised asset.

It will encourage seniors to take up the red Go card and use it during the week as well.  This will lead to improved efficiency outcomes for public transport, and increases in fare revenue.  All good outcomes.

Mr Strachan said on ABC 612 Saturday morning that in three years TTA wants everyone using the Go card.  Well free travel for Seniors on the weekends will definitely get the ball rolling ..

From the Sun-Herald 5th April 2009 page 13

Seniors need transport-card reward: lobbies

:-t
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X  Threads  Mastodon  BlueSky

🡱 🡳