• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Cross River Rail Project

Started by ozbob, March 22, 2009, 17:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> Brisbane's equivalent to New York's Grand Central Station emerges $

QuoteCross River Rail Delivery Authority chief executive Graeme Newton stands in an enormous cavern 27 metres below Roma Street's old rail station.

Behind him are two tubes — the twin Cross River Rail underground train tunnels — that run between the new Exhibition train station at Bowen Hills and the even larger Gabba station.

He described the new Roma Street as Brisbane's equivalent to New York's Grand Central, with its own high-roof and atrium.

"What we will see is the frontage of Roma Street will be far more attractive for people who are travelling," Mr Newton said.

"There will be a high-roofed glass atrium building.

"It will be quite distinctive. Whether you are going on the existing surface rail network, or you are going underground, or you are going to the busway, you will use the same entrance. ...
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

https://crossriverrail.qld.gov.au/news/first-of-twin-tunnels-complete-as-cross-river-rail-reaches-another-major-milestone/

First of twin tunnels complete as Cross River Rail reaches another major milestone

16th December 2021

One of Cross River Rail's twin tunnels is now fully excavated, with the first of the project's two massive Tunnel Boring Machines recently completing its 294-day journey below the Brisbane River and CBD.

TBM Else's breakthrough at Cross River Rail's northern portal is a significant milestone for the project.

Cross River Rail will transform travel to, from and through Brisbane in the future, and the project's twin tunnels are central to that.

The breakthrough marked the end of tunnelling for TBM Else – named after trailblazing engineer Professor Else Shepherd AM.

Since completing her journey, TBM Else is being disassembled and lifted out of the northern portal piece-by-piece by the same 280-tonne gantry crane that lowered her into the Woolloongabba station box in early 2021.

Cross River Rail's second mega machine – TBM Merle – is expected to breakthrough into the northern portal any day now, bringing the project's year of tunnelling to an end.

The northern portal is an impressive site in its own right, with its 40-strong crew working 24/7 to finish excavating the 12-metre-deep TBM extraction box, ensuring it was ready for the arrival of the project's two mega machines.

All up, 240 pre-cast roof components, each 18 metres wide and weighing almost 26 tonnes are being installed on the site, which is where trains will enter and exit the twin tunnels when Cross River Rail is operational.

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

https://statements.qld.gov.au/statements/94132

Cross River Rail's biggest breakthrough yet
17th December 2021

JOINT STATEMENT

Premier and Minister for the Olympics
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

Deputy Premier, Minister for State Development, Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning and Minister Assisting the Premier on Olympics Infrastructure
The Honourable Dr Steven Miles

Minister for Education, Minister for Industrial Relations and Minister for Racing
The Honourable Grace Grace

Queensland's biggest ever infrastructure project has reached a massive milestone with the final mega machine breaking through at the Northern Portal near the ICB marking the end of tunnelling for the transformational project.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and Member for McConnell Minister Grace Grace watched on as Cross River Rail's Tunnel Boring Machine Merle finished its journey beneath the Brisbane River and CBD – with one last breakthrough near Bowen Bridge Road.

"To see both tunnels now complete is a feat of engineering and a credit to all those who have worked tirelessly to deliver these tunnels ahead of schedule," the Premier said.

"In a massive project full of huge milestones, today's breakthrough is the biggest one yet."

The Premier said the $5.4 billion mega project which is being funded and delivered by her government has powered on through COVID making it a critical part of the state's economic recovery plan.

"Cross River Rail is pumping more than $4 million a day into our economy and driving our economic recovery with around 2,600 people currently working on it and 7,700 jobs supported over the life of the project," the Premier said.

"It also underpinned our success with the International Olympics Committee and our successful Brisbane 2032 bid.

"It was a selling point to the IOC that our Olympics venues will be connected by fast and reliable rail transport.

"Cross River Rail will transform travel in South East Queensland meaning less cars on the road, faster journeys, more stations in more convenient locations and the capacity to increase train services on every line as our population grows.

"I look forward to the next phase of the project next year with attention turning to tracks being laid and building new underground stations.

"Queensland's golden age is well and truly on track."

Deputy Premier Steven Miles said today's milestone was made possible by the hundreds of people working directly on tunnelling, as well as the thousands of people helping to bring Queensland's biggest infrastructure project to life across the wider workforce.

"At the peak of tunnelling, more than 450 people were working on Cross River Rail's twin tunnels, while 80 tunnel workers were able to complete an apprenticeship or traineeship over the past year," Mr Miles said.

"I congratulate everyone involved on this momentous milestone. Now that tunnelling is complete, there is still plenty of work to do over the next couple of years.

"At the heart of this project are two 5.9 kilometre twin tunnels below the Brisbane River and CBD, which will be home to four underground stations, Albert Street, Roma Street, Woolloongabba and Boggo Road.

"These stations will be in more convenient locations, including at Albert Street in the heart of the city – the CBD's first new station in more than a century.

"Each of these stations is the equivalent of four, eight-story buildings constructed entirely underground which is no small feat by any means."

Education Minister and Member for McConnell Grace Grace congratulated everyone involved on this incredible milestone and credited Merle and Else for making history again.

"The two Tunnel Boring Machines are named after two incredible Queensland women – Merle Thornton and Else Shepherd," Ms Grace said.

"Merle Thornton is an advocate for women's rights, best known for chaining herself to the men only public bar at the Regatta Hotel back in 1965.

"Like Merle, Else Shepard shattered the glass ceiling and was one of the first women to graduate with an Electrical Engineering degree in Queensland.

"These two women made history, just like we are today with this major milestone."

Cross River Rail tunnelling fast facts:

TBM Merle has broken through at Cross River Rail's northern portal, having excavated 3.8km of tunnel since launching from Woolloongabba in early 2021.
The project's other TBM – Else – completed tunnelling in late November.
TBMs excavate the bulk (3.8km) of Cross River Rail's 5.9km twin tunnels, with the rest excavated by roadheaders.
The TBMs have excavated 310,000 cubic metres of spoil and installed approximately 27,000 concrete segments to line the tunnel's walls, each weighing about 4.2 tonnes.
At their deepest point, the TBMs tunnelled 58 metres below the surface of Kangaroo Point, and 42 metres below the Brisbane River.
Each TBM weighs 1,350 tonnes and is 165 metres long.
A crew of up to 15 people work in a TBM at any one time.
TBMs work at a rate of 20 to 30 metres a day.
Roadheaders excavated 85,000 cubic metres of spoil while tunnelling almost 900 metres from Woolloongabba to Boggo Road.
The roadheaders are 22-metres long and weigh 115-tonnes.

ENDS

Stillwater

Merle and Else should be put to work chewing rock on the NWTC.

Cazza

Quote from: Stillwater on December 17, 2021, 12:51:08 PM
Merle and Else should be put to work chewing rock on the NWTC.

But that would be forward thinking, wouldn't it? :pfy:

ozbob

SteelPan

Singapore: Finish one major rail infrastructure project - the next one begins!

Brisbane:  "                                                                                            "
SEQ, where our only "fast-track" is in becoming the rail embarrassment of Australia!   :frs:

Jonno

Noticed this signage on the Busway Station at Roma Street this morning.  Single entry is palnned.  Would be great to get more detailed insight into the statin design/layout.  Publicshed drawings must be way out of date.

timh

https://fb.watch/ahbt4rOa9K/

Cool video on Mark Bailey's Facebook. You can see the tunnels themselves are looking very near complete!

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

====

kram0

I have been informed all work being performed at the Southern Portal over the Xmas shutdown was completed successfully and slightly ahead of schedule and will reopen for tomorrow's services.

Lstr

Quote from: kram0 on January 03, 2022, 18:01:52 PM
I have been informed all work being performed at the Southern Portal over the Xmas shutdown was completed successfully and slightly ahead of schedule and will reopen for tomorrow's services.

Great news! Will be keen to check it out this week, and see how they've shuffled everything around. Especially the undocumented layout for the revised Dutton Park station.
Where are the RFPC12 arrangements...  :conf

ozbob

:clp: :clp: :clp: :-t

brissypete

I had a look from the fence and the inbound trains from Dutton Park will use Platform 3 Park Road only, the track that went to P2 has been completely removed.  Outbound track completely rerouted to eastern side of portal, also the connection to Cleveland line is single track now only from the outbound line.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

kram0

Southern portal and Fairfield Station.

ozbob

paulg

I don't think this has been posted here yet:
https://fb.watch/am7Mne4RBi/

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

ozbob

ozbob

Rail Rookie

"The Rise of Megaprojects: Counting the costs" by Grattan Institute 2020.

From RBOT forum, my understanding is that the original CRR plans would have done wonders for Brisbane (provide more trains, express services, separate freight line to PoB, access to South CBD area etc.), but due to project changes by both Qld parties, we really only have the access to South CBD through the Gabba and Albert St Station. We will have less trains or the same (ETCS2 is actually providing us with 24tph trains at <$500million), this is compared to the $6.9B planned for total project cost. The $6.9B might stay the same, but for us to get to where the project should have been (longer tunnel to Yeerongpilly etc.) this cost isn't included.

So am I missing something when all I can see is that for pretty much $7B atm we as taxpayers are only getting 3 NEW STATIONS (Gabba, Albert St and Roma St Redeveloped)? This equals over $2B for each station. I'm no PT expert but that doesn't sound like bang for buck. That report by Grattan in 2020 discussed how IA stated the CBA of the 2017 business case didn't stack up financially or was overstating benefits.

Is the Government required now or at anytime to provide CBA again to the Public or IA to show that the money was well spent?  CRR website states in the 2017 Business Case we will gain $1.9B due to project, well if the newer project costs are true ($6.9B atm, its still got till 2025) then that gain has been wiped out. BEST case we're breaking even and that would be very generous. How is this legal and how has the media not been reaming these Politicians! 

#Metro

Hi Rail Rookie,

Some good questions.

This whole thing is best looked though the lens of value propositions.

You might know a few already:

1. Pay more get more
2. Pay less get more
3. Pay less get less
4. Pay more get less (negative value proposition)

... and so on.

You might have heard the saying "you get what you pay for".

In my opinion the first iteration cost the most but was also the most useful. It was a more for more VP.
Then it got political and cutting the headline cost to showboat for the electorate got hold with the so called "Cleveland Solution". Ozbob has a classic YouTube video of then transport minister spruiking the virtues of this LRT on the Cleveland line disaster and even Brisbane City Council and then mayor Graham Quirk got behind it.

I could go on. Basically, the drop in PT patronage means that the line is expanding capacity when there aren't really passengers on services. The BCR is probably below 1 at this point but stuff happens. Any sort of tunnelling with commuter rail is also by its nature expensive.

On the other hand, you'll get better GC trains provided that the service patterns have Beenleigh trains and GC trains all using the tunnel. The designers did an exhaustive engineering options analysis and the tunnel grades are close to the limits of steepness but it's doable. The option to amplify the existing South Brisbane/Roma St portal was viable but they chose to add more destinations rather than more of the same.

Politicians liability is simply limited to them losing their job, almost similar to shareholders in a exchange listed company. Most of them have now moved on and are doing other things.

There is such a thing as ex-post or after-the-fact BCR. It does exist. However it is rarely done for obvious reasons 😂🙂
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

^

Gawd this is a ' beautiful thing '  trams in the Brisbane River .. WANT !   ;)

Ladies and Gentlemen the ' Cleveland Solution ' ...  :-*

Footnote:  The mob trying to impress the then Government of the merits of this ' Cleveland Solution ' (and make big $$$$) rang me during this time trying to convince me it was all a big win.  I said it was bullsh%t, and they got most upset with me.  That's the breaks hey ...  :P

HappyTrainGuy

CRR also opens the network for expansion ie longer trains on the NCL and Gold Coast line. Cuts down on retrofitting the existing network. The network will also get to a point either in rollingstock, paths or crews where longer trains on less frequencies would be required such as around peak hour where infill stations can get attritional services/running patterns. Petrie-Beerburrum has already been established for 9 car rollingstock or has easy provisions for platform expansions to cater for 9 car services. Gold Coast is in a similar position along with the new loganlea station.

aldonius

Quote from: Rail Rookie on January 19, 2022, 21:41:37 PM
So am I missing something when all I can see is that for pretty much $7B atm we as taxpayers are only getting 3 NEW STATIONS (Gabba, Albert St and Roma St Redeveloped)? This equals over $2B for each station.

I mean, we are also getting the tunnel! As Metro raised one of the options was to put more tracks on the existing alignment - does that mean spending several billion for zero new stations equals $infinity billion per station?

This is first and foremost a network-core upgrade project; taking us from 4 tracks through the CBD to 6 tracks through the CBD. Thus, we have to look first in terms of (a) how much additional capacity does this enable on the network; (b) where is this capacity enabled; and only then (c) what land-use benefits are enabled at the new/upgraded stations?

Rail Rookie

Quote from: #Metro on January 19, 2022, 22:26:03 PM
Hi Rail Rookie,

Some good questions.

This whole thing is best looked though the lens of value propositions.

You might know a few already:

1. Pay more get more
2. Pay less get more
3. Pay less get less
4. Pay more get less (negative value proposition)

... and so on.

You might have heard the saying "you get what you pay for".

In my opinion the first iteration cost the most but was also the most useful. It was a more for more VP.
Then it got political and cutting the headline cost to showboat for the electorate got hold with the so called "Cleveland Solution". Ozbob has a classic YouTube video of then transport minister spruiking the virtues of this LRT on the Cleveland line disaster and even Brisbane City Council and then mayor Graham Quirk got behind it.

I could go on. Basically, the drop in PT patronage means that the line is expanding capacity when there aren't really passengers on services. The BCR is probably below 1 at this point but stuff happens. Any sort of tunnelling with commuter rail is also by its nature expensive.

On the other hand, you'll get better GC trains provided that the service patterns have Beenleigh trains and GC trains all using the tunnel. The designers did an exhaustive engineering options analysis and the tunnel grades are close to the limits of steepness but it's doable. The option to amplify the existing South Brisbane/Roma St portal was viable but they chose to add more destinations rather than more of the same.

Politicians liability is simply limited to them losing their job, almost similar to shareholders in a exchange listed company. Most of them have now moved on and are doing other things.

There is such a thing as ex-post or after-the-fact BCR. It does exist. However it is rarely done for obvious reasons 😂🙂

100% agree, I'm all for the original proposal and tunneling. If original proposal was going to cost $8B (or whatever number), it seems like a steal compared to the cookie cut version that we have now, which will cost a lot more to fix/add on to in the future. It just blows my mind that something so good has been watered down so much, but still cost an eye watering amount. Glad they went with adding the stations, I'm just against the CBR of <1, and we can't do anything about it cause neither party would change anything differently  :frs:

Rail Rookie

Quote from: aldonius on January 20, 2022, 12:32:32 PM
Quote from: Rail Rookie on January 19, 2022, 21:41:37 PM
So am I missing something when all I can see is that for pretty much $7B atm we as taxpayers are only getting 3 NEW STATIONS (Gabba, Albert St and Roma St Redeveloped)? This equals over $2B for each station.

I mean, we are also getting the tunnel! As Metro raised one of the options was to put more tracks on the existing alignment - does that mean spending several billion for zero new stations equals $infinity billion per station?

This is first and foremost a network-core upgrade project; taking us from 4 tracks through the CBD to 6 tracks through the CBD. Thus, we have to look first in terms of (a) how much additional capacity does this enable on the network; (b) where is this capacity enabled; and only then (c) what land-use benefits are enabled at the new/upgraded stations?

I'll admit that example of giving values to the stations wasn't great, as I said above I have nothing against the tunneling, I want the long version, maybe my original comment wasn't very clear.

Has anyone calculated what the cost would be in the future to fix/change the cookie cut version to original? Again I'm all for it, but will we find that the once bestest of best options will be too expensive in the future to fix. Expensive IMO is CBR <1, I don't care if the project is costing $20B like Sydney Metro, as long as we're getting that spend more get more result  :)   

#Metro

Don't forget Jackie Trad (Former Deputy Premier and MP for South Brisbane) "saving" Dutton Park station to curry votes for the next election (which she lost vs Green Team) which forced the whole portal to be redesigned.

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

https://twitter.com/ozbob13/status/1485264889849737216

====

Brisbanetimes --> All aboard: Bridging the 480-metre gap between Cross River Rail and passengers $

QuoteWork will begin in March on a pedestrian and cycle bridge linking new Brisbane train stations, the Boggo Road Ecosciences precinct, south-east busway and Princess Alexandra Hospital.

The large 480-metre long cable-stay bridge will help service Princess Alexandra Hospital and Brisbane's newest high school - the Brisbane South State Secondary College - as part of the $5.4 billion Cross River Rail project.

The Queensland Government believes the new bridge, stations and enhanced bus services will make Boggo Road the second busiest public transport centre in Brisbane when Cross River Rail is finished. ...

Boggo Road pedestrian and cycling bridge fast facts:

Cost of the new bridge is part of the $5.4 billion Cross River Rail project.

It is a cable stay bridge, approximately 480 metres long.

The cable stay spire is approximately 45 metres high.

The main deck level will be about 20 metres above the ground and 6.25 metres wide.

Key features include lifts on the eastern and western sides, dedicated cycling and pedestrian paths, seating and rest stops.

The western entry comes off Peter Doherty Street, with the bridge crossing over the rail line and linking into the existing bikeway near the Princess Alexandra Hospital Busway station.

Source: Cross River Rail Delivery Authority

A new 480-metre long pedestrian and cycling bridge will link Boggo Road Ecosciences precinct with the south-east busway and the Princess Alexandra Hospital as part of the $5.4 billion Cross River Rail project.CREDIT:CROSS RIVER RAIL DELIVERY AUTHORITY

#Metro

I'm looking at Yeronga Station design for CRR.

Will there be a bus stop on Fairfield Road immediately outside the station/under the proposed pedestrian overhead bypass?

It seems like the bus stop is in Lake Street on the Eastern side of the street, which isn't very useful for bus network integration?

Yeronga Station CRR Design

Jonno

Millions to build a bridge which is needed but $0 dollars to integrated the stations? It's just straight out of a Utopia episode.

#Metro

Are we able to get some comment from the minister or CRR project team?

I'm just thinking how future bus services are going to connect properly, e.g. 105, 108 etc.

ozbob

Quote from: #Metro on January 24, 2022, 01:13:24 AM

I'm looking at Yeronga Station design for CRR.

Will there be a bus stop on Fairfield Road immediately outside the station/under the proposed pedestrian overhead bypass?

It seems like the bus stop is in Lake Street on the Eastern side of the street, which isn't very useful for bus network integration?

Yeronga Station CRR Design

Fairfield Rd at Yeronga station
Stop ID: 051695
Bus stop

#Metro

Thanks. I believe that one is the city bound stop across the road, I was thinking of the road side on the same side as the station.

The nearest one on the same side appears to be further up the road next to the commuter car park, near Kadumba Street.

ozbob

I think it is there because it provides an access point to the shopping centre and the RSL, and a stop further along although might be closer to the station is actually more to difficult access.  There nature strip narrows as well, so it probably is a best compromise.
There has not been direct station access from the outbound side of Fairfield Road, it was via the pedestrian bridge used from the inbound side. Fairfield road gets very busy and it is difficult to cross on foot away from a designated crossing.

Gazza

Basically, its the best of a bad situation.
At Yeronga, there is not enough space to have a lift on that side of the road, and have space for a future quad.

A lift on that side of the road would only benefit the park and ride and a small cluster of houses, everyone else is better off using other entrances.

For that cluster, you can still get in by crossing the road and crossing back.

#Metro

Interesting. There is what appears to be a bus stop concrete foundation and a place where a pole used to be. See the foreground left.

In an ideal world, buses would not have to divert off Fairfield Road to Yeronga to pick up pax when going outbound.

🡱 🡳