• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Cross River Rail Project

Started by ozbob, March 22, 2009, 17:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

The service plan is not the operational plan.  The operational plan detail is known is contained in the ' Concept of Operations ' document.

The project and supporting track infrastructure/layouts is built with regards to the operational plan.

There is too much constant bullsh%t and obfuscation when it comes to Cross River Rail.  CRR and Government are not being really honest.  The spin and bull about the underground bus station at Roma St station being dropped is an excellent example.  Why not just simply state the real reason, the benefits vs. costs were not justifiable to warrant the expenditure. 

This constant bull just leads to a lack of confidence.

CRR tunnel is being built to support 24 trains per hour per direction.  It is a pity that the rest of the network and rolling stock limitations will mean that it is not delivered.

Huzzah!! 

This is the operational plan we have developed from the available information below.   Other jurisdictions for similar projects have this information publicly available ( and in some cases service plans as well ).   It begs the question why not available for CRR? 

Are the outcomes that poor??  What do you think Lurkers? 

Sector 1
Rosewood <> BNE Airport
Springfield Central <> Shorncliffe
Roma St <> Doomben

Sector 2
Cleveland <> Ferny Grove

Sector 3
Varsity Lakes <> Gympie North
Beenleigh <> Kippa-Ring

https://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=2034.msg246767#msg246767

Note: The suggested pairings are fluid in the sense that in peak trains could connect with lines the same sector of course, but the pairs would be the majority of workings. Pairings don't indicate that all services meet those pairs end to end.
They don't now, and wouldn't in 2025.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

ozbob

Appears ' Travel Checker ' has now replaced ' Checkmate ' probably because they were checkmated ...

>> https://crossriverrail.qld.gov.au/travel-checker/

A sample of the responses:

" If you travel to, from or through Brisbane for commuting for work, there is plenty to look forward to once the Cross River Rail line is in operation. "

" Travel to/from Brisbane for work
Commuters travelling by train and heading to the southern end of Brisbane's CBD towards the Botanic Gardens, could save as much as 15 minutes without the need to drive in slow, inner-city traffic, park in the CBD or walk up to 25 minutes from existing train stations "

Stillwater

The next line of defence after the 'more trains more often' mantra was blown out of the water.

The Queensland Government has already 'borrowed' the London Crossrail logo for Cross River Rail.

Maybe they should go one step further and adapt the slogan of a well-known smallgoods manufacturer and have one simple message appear to every on-line inquiry: 'TIS CROSS RIVER RAIL, 'TIS GOOD.

SteelPan

Food for thought with new Brissy Grand Central....

Some interesting stats at 6.10min mark!

SEQ, where our only "fast-track" is in becoming the rail embarrassment of Australia!   :frs:

ozbob

kram0

Thanks for the video SteelPlan.

That makes CRR look like such a small project. Also, just like here in Australia, politics always gets in the way and delays things.

Cazza

To be fair, you can't say politics hasn't gotten in the way of most projects across the world, like this Grand Central upgrade and new tunnels under the river to New Jersey and Long Island. However, I understand the process of how CRR has come to be and the political football it (and other iterations) have become. It's disappointing that public transport (a critical part of cities that influences the lives of pretty much every single resident) is such a political tool. A fair number of these big decisions (or lack of decisions) are being made with political merit be the deciding factor, rather than logical and well researched grounds.

Gazza

We have it better than the US.

They have a real dynamic that Republicans think competent government = communisim, so there are a lot of curbs on what transport agencies can do. Literally boxing with a hand tied behind your back.

Funding is also heavy regulated, often tied to specific special taxes that are voted on by the populace.

Here we just have a pot of consolidated revenue.

In Australia, delays on PT projects largely boils down to "nah lol we don't feel like building it yet"

verbatim9

Quote from: Gazza on August 17, 2021, 11:09:42 AM
We have it better than the US.

They have a real dynamic that Republicans think competent government = communisim, so there are a lot of curbs on what transport agencies can do. Literally boxing with a hand tied behind your back.

Funding is also heavy regulated, often tied to specific special taxes that are voted on by the populace.

Here we just have a pot of consolidated revenue.

In Australia, delays on PT projects largely boils down to "nah lol we don't feel like building it yet"
Didn't you read the post on how the US Senate just past distance road charging to support new infrastructure projects?

Gazza

No i didn't.

Was road distance charging used to fund the NY grand central project?

kram0

Found out that the new Dutton Park station will only have 2 platforms not 3.

verbatim9

But there are more tracks right? Unlike Loganlea it's not going to act as terminating station thus two platforms there are sufficient.

timh

Quote from: verbatim9 on August 22, 2021, 12:41:58 PM
But there are more tracks right? Unlike Loganlea it's not going to act as terminating station thus two platforms there are sufficient.
There's already 3 tracks, they're not taking one away.

The original plan called for 3 tracks. However we have all pointed out since RFPC9 that the current track layout between Salisbury-Dutton Park is insufficient, and that the layout at Dutton Park is especially problematic. Kram has had inside info on that station for a while so this change will hopefully assist to rectify our previous issues.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

ozbob

Request for Project Change 12 shouldn't be too far away ...

Gazza

So what does this mean? Do we get a fourth track instead of a third platform?

MTPCo

My guess - once you go to the tunnel portal arrangement as per PC9, it becomes very challenging to tie into the DG while keeping the station in (roughly) the same position (seeing as PC 9 already shifted the platform faces south a bit). Which means from a practical perspective all trains will go at all-stations speed through that section whether they stop or not (notwithstanding the current configuration not allowing the use of the DG - and thus express moves - north of Yeerongpilly).
All posts here are my own opinion and not representative of any current or former employers or associates unless expressly stated otherwise. All information discussed is publicly available or is otherwise my own work, completed without commission.

BrizCommuter

So it looks like the prediction that Gold Coast Line trains will be slowed down will sadly come to fruition.

timh

Quote from: BrizCommuter on August 23, 2021, 07:05:09 AM
So it looks like the prediction that Gold Coast Line trains will be slowed down will sadly come to fruition.
That was inevitable anyway considering the new stations on the GC line being built without a third or fourth track (not even provision for one in future)

I am hoping that the new configuration at Dutton Park will change the problems with the tie in to the dual gauge, and allow it to connect to the tunnels. that would hopefully solve a few problems

ozbob

verbatim9

Merle breaks through at Roma Street with the engineers, construction workers and the transport minister all present.

7News--->https://twitter.com/7NewsBrisbane/status/1429725652136067073

BrizCommuter

Quote from: timh on August 23, 2021, 07:11:35 AM
Quote from: BrizCommuter on August 23, 2021, 07:05:09 AM
That was inevitable anyway considering the new stations on the GC line being built without a third or fourth track (not even provision for one in future)

I am hoping that the new configuration at Dutton Park will change the problems with the tie in to the dual gauge, and allow it to connect to the tunnels. that would hopefully solve a few problems

It is likely there will be 2 tiers of GC services and thus the extra stations may not have necessarily extended the journey times for the faster services. When you add in the slower GC services serving Loganlea to Beenleigh, and all services running at all stations speeds between Dutton Park and Salisbury, things are not looking good for GC Line users.

HappyTrainGuy

South Brisbane to Helensvale in under 55 minutes is a thing of the past!! And there was no triple to Kuraby or double south of Beenleigh back then :P

ozbob

Couriermail --> Cross River Rail 'lack of progress' blasted by CFMEU $

QuoteMajor delays, cost blowouts and mounting safety concerns are turning Cross River Rail into a slow-motion train wreck, according to Queensland's powerful CFMEU.

A stunning stoush has erupted between the union and the State Labor Government, which it has accused of spreading "spin and bullsh*t" about the $5.4 billion public transport infrastructure project. ...

====

https://twitter.com/ozbob13/status/1430903637564289039

ozbob

kram0

Platform 3 concrete pour happened today at Yeronga. See attached photo from my mate. Hopefully photo uploads.

kram0

The northern tunnel portal.

verbatim9

Quote from: kram0 on September 05, 2021, 16:35:23 PM
The northern tunnel portal.
Yeah rode past today and its nearly ready for the tunnel boring machine to break through.

Gazza

Isn't Gabba to Dutton Park being done with a roadheader?

kram0

Quote from: Gazza on September 05, 2021, 18:10:40 PM
Isn't Gabba to Dutton Park being done with a roadheader?

Yes, and Gabba to the northern portal by TBM.

brissypete

At Park Rd both Platforms 3 and 4 are only available for trains terminating from the city.  Both lines have been dug up to the south.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

BrizCommuter

Quote from: brissypete on September 08, 2021, 15:42:53 PM
At Park Rd both Platforms 3 and 4 are only available for trains terminating from the city.  Both lines have been dug up to the south.

So how do standard gauge trains get through that section?

brissypete

Quote from: BrizCommuter on September 08, 2021, 16:05:32 PM
Quote from: brissypete on September 08, 2021, 15:42:53 PM

So how do standard gauge trains get through that section?
They don't, guess it helps that the border is closed so there's no XPT

ozbob

Couriermail --> Cross River Rail protest draws thousands of CFMEU members to Brisbane CBD $

QuoteThousands of union members have marched on the office of the Cross River Rail Delivery Authority, calling for the organisation to be scrapped by the state government.

In an ongoing feud over the project the union has warned Transport Minister Mark Bailey to take control of the $6bn project to avoid the "costliest infrastructure bungle in the state's history". ...

brissypete

Further to my post from a few days ago here's some views of the work at Dutton Park. The track with pile of sleepers on it is the track to Platform 3 Park Road which would normally be used by inbound trains.  Behind that is where the dual gauge track was which goes to Platform 4 Park Rd.

🡱 🡳