• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Cross River Rail Project

Started by ozbob, March 22, 2009, 17:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Queensland Parliament Hansard  11th August 2020

https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2020/2020_08_11_DAILY.pdf

Ministerial Statements

Cross River Rail

Hon. KJ JONES (Cooper—ALP) (Minister for State Development, Tourism and Innovation)
(10.02 am): The Palaszczuk government is getting on with the job of delivering Queensland's largest
infrastructure project—Cross River Rail. Right now there are four roadheaders excavating new
underground stations at the Gabba and Roma Street, where 70 metres of tunnel excavation has already
been completed. We now have construction work underway at eight sites across the city and have
completed piling works at the Gabba and Roma Street. The Cross River Rail project is pumping more
than $4 million a day into the Queensland economy and into the pay packets of Queenslanders across
the state.

In relation to media reports today, I can advise that when the government made the decision to
build Cross River Rail we decided on the design that delivered the best option for more commuters
across the south-east. By delivering the new Boggo Road station, we will create a new interchange for
travellers coming from both the Gold Coast and Cleveland lines, enabling them to connect directly to
the new underground and new Cross River Rail stations. I can confirm that the government did examine
the benefits and disadvantages of the proposed alternative, known as New Dutton station. However,
we decided against this option as we believed the modelling showed it did not deliver ultimately a better
superior option for commuters.

Mr Mander: That's not what the experts say.

Ms JONES: Well, you would not have built it at all. Not $1, knocked at every stage of the way—

Mr SPEAKER: Thank you, Minister.

Ms JONES: For example, Bayside and eastern suburb residents on the Cleveland line—

Opposition members interjected.

Mr SPEAKER: Members to my left.

Ms JONES: For example, Bayside and eastern suburb residents on the Cleveland line would
have been significantly disadvantaged by the New Dutton station compared to the Boggo Road
interchange that we are delivering.

Mr Mander interjected.

Mr SPEAKER: The member for Everton will cease his interjections.

Ms JONES: I am advised that modelling showed that a commuter coming from Cannon Hill, for
example, in the electorate of Chatsworth, would have to get off the train at Park Road and walk up to
nine minutes away from the city, backtracking to the New Dutton station in order to connect to the Cross
River Rail underground. The government did not think this was a suitable solution for those residents,
given the significant growth that is happening—

Mr Mander interjected.

Mr SPEAKER: Member for Everton, I have just asked you to cease your interjections. You are
warned under the standing orders.

Ms JONES: I might say that again. I am advised that modelling showed that a commuter coming
from Cannon Hill would have to get off the train at Park Road and walk up to nine minutes away from
the city, backtracking to the New Dutton station in order to connect to the Cross River Rail underground.
The government did not think this was a suitable solution, given the significant growth that is happening
in the eastern corridor and bayside suburbs. In contrast, the Boggo Road interchange delivers both
Gold Coast and Cleveland line commuters with a direct connection straight to the underground. The
new Boggo Road station will become the second busiest interchange in the state.

I also can advise that, regardless of which option was chosen for the new station location, it
would have required detailed engineering design to connect the new Cross River Rail infrastructure
back into the existing brownfield rail network. Project engineers are developing these detailed designs
by working closely with Queensland Rail and the Department of Transport and Main Roads. This design
work has progressed to an advanced stage, and engineers are now confident that a design solution
can be achieved and finalised to meet QR standards. We are getting on with the job of delivering this
vital infrastructure project which will transform our city and improve commuter times for commuters
across the south-east.

Mr SPEAKER: Members to my left, I appreciate there may be some thoughts and commentary
on the issue. There will be other and more appropriate opportunities for you to raise those.

====

Cross River Rail

Hon. MC BAILEY (Miller—ALP) (Minister for Transport and Main Roads) (10.06 am): Economies
worldwide are enduring the worst economic downturn in generations, and Queensland's economy is no
different. Given the global uncertainties, every job counts right now. Thousands of workers are heading
to work today because of our strong pipeline of projects and commitment to infrastructure as part of our
economic plan to unite and recover and create jobs in our state.

Tunnelling has started for Cross River Rail—a transformational infrastructure project to bust
congestion in South-East Queensland by expanding our rail system with direct access to the heart of
the Brisbane CBD for the first time. Cross River Rail would be opening this year if the anti public
transport brigade of those opposite had not cut the project in 2012. Thousands of construction workers
on Cross River Rail would not have jobs if those opposite had their way.

Labor backs commuters and we back jobs, which is why we chose a Cross River Rail route that
benefits the greatest number of passengers consistent with our 2017 commitment. Building an alternate
station—the proposed New Dutton station—would have disconnected the easy current transfer at Park
Road station for Cleveland line commuters from the Cross River Rail line. As was outlined by the
Minister for State Development, separating the Cleveland and Gold Coast lines would have forced
commuters travelling between those lines who currently have an easy transfer at Park Road to walk
nine minutes away from the city to catch their connecting train. That would have disadvantaged a
catchment of hundreds of thousands of people living in Brisbane's eastern and bayside suburbs on the
Cleveland line, from Buranda all the way out to Cleveland via Wynnum—18 stations affected, the whole
line. It would have been a disincentive for them to use the train at all. It was a poor quality option that
ignored the needs of bayside and eastern suburb commuters, which is why our government did not
support it.

Ms Simpson interjected.

Mr SPEAKER: The member for Maroochydore will cease her interjections.

Mr BAILEY: The option we have chosen was considered cost neutral and will be delivered within
budget. Queensland Rail has confirmed that all technical aspects—

Mr Crisafulli interjected.

Mr SPEAKER: The member for Broadwater will cease his interjections. Members to my left,
comments will come through the chair.

Mr BAILEY: Queensland Rail has confirmed that all technical aspects are being resolved, a usual
part of delivering transport infrastructure. Despite the challenges of COVID-19—

Mr Hart interjected.

Mr SPEAKER: Member for Burleigh, you are warned under the standing orders.

Mr BAILEY: Despite the challenges of COVID-19 we continue to deliver record investment in
roads and transport infrastructure for Queenslanders: more than $2.3 billion for four M1 upgrades and
more than $3.5 billion for the Bruce Highway and rail upgrades between Brisbane and Gympie. In
1834 Queensland Future Fund Bill; Royalty Legislation Amendment Bill 11 Aug 2020
addition, work is about to start on stage 3 of the Gold Coast Light Rail and funding has been committed
for the stage 4 business case to take it to Coolangatta via the airport. Together, these projects will
transform how Queenslanders connect and travel in our state. Queenslanders can depend on the
Palaszczuk Labor government to continue delivering major projects that guarantee jobs and give
Queensland businesses confidence. We build; we do not cut.
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

Queensland Parliament Hansard  11th August 2020

https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2020/2020_08_11_DAILY.pdf

Questions Without Notice

Cross River Rail

Mrs FRECKLINGTON (10.16 am): My first question is to the Premier. A whistleblower has
exposed that the Labor government overruled expert engineering and safety advice about Cross River
Rail in favour of the member for South Brisbane's own plan for Dutton Park and Boggo Road stations.
Why did the Labor government overrule this expert advice which, according to the whistleblower, could
waste up to $1 billion worth of taxpayers' money?

Mrs D'ATH: Mr Speaker, I rise to a point of order. I believe there are imputations in that question.
I ask you to rule on it.

Mr SPEAKER: If you are disputing whether the facts in the question are correct or not, that is to
do with the authenticity of the question not that there are imputations in the question. If you are disputing
that, that is an opportunity for the Premier to provide an answer which disputes those facts.

Ms PALASZCZUK: I thank the Leader of the Opposition for the question. Let me say from the
outset that this government will build Cross River Rail. Those opposite were against Cross River Rail.
The federal government gave us zero dollars towards Cross River Rail, the largest construction project
in South-East Queensland: jobs, jobs and more jobs, including for apprentices. Over 7,000 people will
be employed. It will also mean faster travel times for people coming from the south-east into the city.
What we see at the moment is large-scale infrastructure happening on brand-new underground
railway stations. The first one in Albert Street in over 120 years is being built in Queensland under this
government. This government backs Queenslanders and we back jobs for Queenslanders. This project
would not be happening if the LNP was in office. Nothing would be happening because we know what
the opposition would have done. They would have opened the borders and Queensland could have
been in the position of Victoria. I look forward to seeing the opposition's petition. Where is their petition?
Mr BLEIJIE: Mr Speaker, I rise to a point of order on relevance under the standing orders. The
question was specifically about the Cross River Rail budget blowouts, not borders or COVID. It was
about budget blowouts under the Palaszczuk Labor government, and the Premier is way off the mark.
Mr SPEAKER: Thank you, member for Kawana. I have ruled in terms of the Leader of the
House's point of order, which related to the facts. If they are disputed, the Premier may wish to correct
those. I ruled the question in order regarding imputations; however, I ask the Premier, under standing
order 118(b), to come back to the question as asked.

Ms PALASZCZUK: Let me say very clearly: in Victoria, construction has been reduced to 25 per
cent. In Queensland, construction is happening at 100 per cent. The opposition wants to put all of that
at risk.

We will continue to build Cross River Rail. I have read some of those reports today. I say very
clearly: if the government had not pursued the intermodal connection at Boggo Road, commuters from
the electorates of Chatsworth and Cleveland would have had to walk eight or nine minutes to get to a
station. How is that for the elderly? How is that for people with a disability? If that had been the case,
the members for Chatsworth and Cleveland would have come in here complaining. Over 500,000
commuters will have the benefit of hopping on Cross River Rail and not having to get off at a train
station and walk for eight or nine minutes.

Mrs Frecklington: How embarrassing.

Ms PALASZCZUK: The only embarrassment is the Leader of the Opposition circulating a petition
to open the borders. That is the embarrassment for Queensland.

Ms PALASZCZUK: Member for Mudgeeraba, you protest too much.

Mr SPEAKER: Through the chair, Premier.

Ms PALASZCZUK: Yes, you all forget that.

Mr SPEAKER: The Premier's time has expired. Please resume your seat.

Ms Bates interjected.

Ms Palaszczuk interjected.

Ms Bates: You're welcome.

Mr SPEAKER: The member for Mudgeeraba will put her comments through the chair—unless
she is saying that I am welcome.

Ms Bates: You're welcome.

Mr SPEAKER: Thank you, member for Mudgeeraba.

====

Cross River Rail

Mrs FRECKLINGTON: My second question is to the Premier. Secret briefing notes show that
Labor overruled advice from the government's own experts about making Cross River Rail safer,
cheaper and technically better. Can the Premier explain why the Labor government approved a project
against expert advice that could have saved money, connected with the Brisbane Metro and provided
full disabled access to the Princess Alexandra Hospital?

Ms PALASZCZUK: The minister responsible for Cross River Rail gave a detailed statement to
the parliament, as did the Minister for Transport. The Leader of the Opposition might want to familiarise
herself with the Boggo Road station information sheet from February 2017 which was our commitment
to Queenslanders. Our commitment to Queenslanders was to build the intermodal section, and that is
exactly what we will do. That is exactly what we decided and that is exactly what we are going to do.

Mrs Frecklington interjected.

Mr SPEAKER: Leader of the Opposition, you have asked your question; you do not get a chance
to ask another one.

Ms PALASZCZUK: We look forward to the day that the Leader of the Opposition and the member
for Everton stand up and tell us how they will pay for their multibillion dollar promises—$13 billion to
date. The only way they can do that is to sell our electricity assets. If you want to talk about a bungle,
what about when they went to that election promising to sell the assets? That worked very well for them,
didn't it?

Mr SPEAKER: Members to my left! The Premier has the call.

Ms PALASZCZUK: Of course, the LNP would put all of our construction at risk. They wanted to
open the borders. That is what they wanted to do. They were screaming and yelling at us, moving
motions, talking in this House.

Mr Minnikin: Oops! Ha, ha!

Ms PALASZCZUK: You may laugh now, member for Chatsworth—

Mr SPEAKER: Premier, direct your comments through the chair.

Ms PALASZCZUK: It is only this government that is focused on the economic recovery for
Queenslanders, and that is what we will continue to deliver. We are getting on with the job. Our
announcement today of more infrastructure—upgrades to our schools and Works for Queensland—is
about jobs for tradies and keeping people in work.

Whilst I am on my feet, I want to say to the people of Victoria: Queensland does stand with you
during this time. We know that this could have happened anywhere in the country. I thank all of our
emergency services personnel for the great job they are doing. Because of the great job they are doing,
we are able to get on with the job and build the critical infrastructure needed for Queensland, including
Cross River Rail and our $50 billion worth of projects over the next four years. The LNP would have put
all of that at risk. Only a few days ago they took down their petition calling for the borders to be opened.
They should table the petition that the Leader of the Opposition circulated.

Mrs Frecklington: Clueless.

Ms PALASZCZUK: You're embarrassing.

Mr SPEAKER: The Premier's time has expired. Premier, comments directed across the chamber
are not parliamentary.

Ms PALASZCZUK: My apologies.

Mr SPEAKER: Thank you for your apology. I ask that you put your comments through the chair.

====

Cross River Rail

Mr MANDER: My question without notice is to the Treasurer. Given the Treasurer has cancelled
this year's budget, meaning no Capital Statement will be published, can the Treasurer guarantee that
taxpayers will not be forced to fund the billion dollar blowout exposed by the Cross River Rail
whistleblower?

Mr DICK: The people of Queensland can be confident in one thing: the Palaszczuk Labor
government delivers on its promises and when it comes to capital works—

Dr Miles: We build.

Mr DICK:—we build.

Ms Palaszczuk: They cut.

Dr Miles: They cut.

Mr DICK: Not only do those opposite cut, and I take the interjections from the Premier and the
Deputy Premier; they did build one thing, and we all remember what they built—a monumental tower
to their own arrogance, a monumental representation of their own arrogance in 1 William Street. That
is what they did. The member for Everton wants to talk about a billion dollar blowout. There is a
monument to a billion dollar blowout on the other side of Alice Street. It is called 1 William Street.

Mr Mander: How much taxpayers' money did you pay for that?

Mr DICK: I will tell you how much money went into that, member for Everton; I take the
interjection: a billion dollars went into a building that you built to your own arrogance, member for
Everton.

Mr SPEAKER: Through the chair.

Mr DICK: The member for Everton and the member for Nanango were proudly sitting around the
CBRC table. There they were not building the BaT tunnel, with the BaT tunnel remaining a piece of
fiction like a Batman comic, and not putting one dollar, as the Minister for Main Roads says, into
expanding the M1. They did not put one dollar into new hospitals in Queensland. In fact, their legacy
was so poor that at the last election when I was the health minister they did not even have a health
infrastructure policy. Not only did they build nothing when they were in government; they promised to
build nothing when they were in opposition.

Now we are asked about a billion dollar blowout. Every day the people of Queensland look at
that edifice that the member for Everton and the member from Nanango built to their own arrogance
thinking that they would be in government for a generation and the people of Queensland judged them.
They judged them accordingly. They saw what they said and they looked at what they did and they
understood that they were unfit. Just as they heard what the Leader of the Opposition said about the
borders and what she did about the borders, they knew that her judgement was completely and utterly
flawed.

These members of the opposition are entirely without judgement. They are reckless on the
borders. They are reckless with the health of Queenslanders. They were reckless and wrong on Virgin,
and they will be reckless with the economy. There has been $23 billion in promises and 973 days since
the member for Everton became the shadow Treasurer and still he will not enunciate an economic plan
or policy for this state. That is not just wrong; it is downright embarrassing and demonstrates again that
the leadership of the LNP is entirely unfit to lead Queensland.

====

Cross River Rail

Mr MINNIKIN: My question is to the Minister for State Development. What will the southern area
modification to Cross River Rail cost Queensland taxpayers?

Dr Miles interjected.

Mr SPEAKER: Order, Deputy Premier.

Mr Powell interjected.

Mr SPEAKER: Order! The Deputy Premier is warned under the standing orders. The member
for Glass House is warned under the standing orders.

Ms JONES: I can advise the House that any costs associated with the detailed design and
alignment must be absorbed within the existing budget. We have said from day one that the southern
alignment was going to be one of the most challenging areas of the project. We have engineers from
Cross River Rail, Queensland Rail and TMR all working together on this. I cannot be any clearer than
what I said in my ministerial statement that, regardless of which station was chosen, this alignment was
going to have to be dealt with and we are dealing with it appropriately. As I said, any costs associated
with finalising this detailed design work will have to be absorbed within the existing budget for Cross
River Rail.

I am very proud to be part of a government that will be delivering much better commuter transport
than the member for Chatsworth, because if the member for Chatsworth and the other side had of won
the last election then this would not be getting built. If we had taken their advice, his very own
constituents would have had to get off and walk nine minutes to get back on the station—that is, walking
backwards, kind of like Vince Lester in the day. We did not think that that was the right outcome. We
absolutely looked at the alternative. We examined that alternative and there were merits in some of that
design, but ultimately our decision was to go with the Boggo Road station and an interchange—a true
interchange—for all of the commuters on the Gold Coast line—the people that those opposite are meant
to be representing in this parliament—

Dr Miles interjected.

Ms JONES:—I take that interjection—as well as the Cleveland line. We know that in those
bayside suburbs and in the eastern suburbs we are seeing record numbers of growth. They are some
of the fastest growing suburbs in our state.

We have listened to that advice. We examined those options and we believe that we have made
the right decision in the best interests of commuters across South-East Queensland, and the Premier
is absolutely right. Think about where we would be today. In Victoria we are seeing, as the Premier has
said, an almost total shutdown of the construction industry. We are delivering $4 million a day in
economic activity through the Cross River Rail project. This means pay packets going home to families
in some of the toughest economic times that our state has ever faced. We will continue to get on with
the job. We are working very closely with all of our partners in the consortium and we will deliver
world-class infrastructure for the people of Brisbane through the new underground that is Cross River
Rail.

====

Cross River Rail

Mr POWELL: My question is to the Minister for State Development. In light of the documents
showing the member for South Brisbane overruled expert advice about the southern area modification
in favour of her own plan for Dutton Park station, will the minister now review this decision which could
waste up to $1 billion of taxpayers' money?

Ms JONES: I thank the member for the question because it gives me another opportunity to
reiterate the comments that I made in my ministerial statement this morning. As I said, we looked at
that station as part of the deliberations of government. We looked at the advice and we came to the
conclusion that the Boggo Road interchange, in line with our election commitment, actually delivered
the best outcome for more commuters from right across South-East Queensland, remembering it is
here that we have the existing Gold Coast line and Cleveland line.

Mrs Frecklington: Disabled access, there's the metro.

Ms JONES: You want to talk about disabled access? I was in Maryborough last week and guess
what I was examining? I was examining the trains imported from India that did not meet specifications
for people with disability.

Ms JONES: Are you serious? How much are we spending on that? I think it is $80 million that we
are spending fixing the trains that the Leader of the Opposition imported from India. Do not come in
here and lecture about disability of all things. My goodness. What I can say to the Leader of the
Opposition is that the workers who are working on upgrading those trains, the cheap alternative those
opposite imported from India, not ones built here in Queensland by Queenslanders, those Downer
workers are very happy to have that job. It is unfortunate that we have had to spend $80 million to fix
up their mess. Having said that, the Premier's decision to enable that to occur in Maryborough, creating
jobs in Maryborough, the people of Maryborough are very happy to be employed in that work.
In regard to Cross River Rail can I say that we examined that option, we looked at it, and the
strong view was, given the commuters coming on the Gold Coast line—

An opposition member: Strong view.

Mr Powell: Very strong view!

Mr SPEAKER: Members to my left.

Ms JONES: Well, you had a very strong view on borders: 64 times. 64 times! We did examine
that option. We looked at all of the options from the different proponents and our view was, and it
remains, that the Boggo Road interchange is the best option for more commuters from more train lines.
We are transforming the way that people will be using public transport into the future. Remembering at
the Boggo Road train station, the interchange, there will be the Cleveland line and the Gold Coast line
coming in and connecting directly to the underground Cross River Rail stations.

The alternative, as I explained in my ministerial statement, would mean that the member for
Chatsworth's constituents would have to get off at Park Road and then walk up to nine minutes
backwards to the other station. We did not think that that was a fair impost on those commuters. The
whole point of Cross River Rail is to encourage more people to use public transport, to get cars off our
road and be congestion busting. That is actually what we are doing. While I am on my feet I do want to
say, and I want to be very clear, in regard to the southern area modification any changes will be
absorbed within the existing budget.

====

Cross River Rail

Mr BLEIJIE: My question without notice is to the Minister for State Development, Tourism and
Innovation. Will the minister tell the House: what is the total cost of the Cross River Rail project?

Ms JONES: It is already in the budget papers. The allocation in the state budget is $5.4 billion for
the project.

Stillwater

QUESTION: Would building the proposed New Dutton Station have reduced or improved the attractiveness of houses for renovation and rentals in the vicinity of the existing Park Road Station where investors, including Ms Trad and her husband first bought, and then sold, an investment property?

Gazza

QuoteQUESTION: Would building the proposed New Dutton Station have reduced or improved the attractiveness of houses for renovation and rentals in the vicinity of the existing Park Road Station where investors, including Ms Trad and her husband first bought, and then sold, an investment property?

Hey Stillwater, maybe we should build the 2nd track of the SC duplication 9 min walk away from the current one to save money?

BrizCommuter

"Ms JONES:—I take that interjection—as well as the Cleveland line. We know that in those
bayside suburbs and in the eastern suburbs we are seeing record numbers of growth. They are some
of the fastest growing suburbs in our state."

So where is the Cleveland Line duplication?

kram0

Quote from: BrizCommuter on August 11, 2020, 15:11:53 PM
"Ms JONES:—I take that interjection—as well as the Cleveland line. We know that in those
of the fastest growing suburbs in our state."

So where is the Cleveland Line duplication?

Briz, don't bring common sense into politics, they are not use to it.

Jonno

An non-intergrated Boggo Rd Station (not sure it is a direct connection yet either but it can be in its current location) would have been a bigger disaster for public transport in SEQ!!

paulg

Quote from: Jonno on August 11, 2020, 15:40:29 PM
An non-intergrated Boggo Rd Station (not sure it is a direct connection yet either but it can be in its current location) would have been a bigger disaster for public transport in SEQ!!

I agree, the correct decision was made to ensure that Boggo Road is a genuine interchange station. As a regular Dutton Park Station user I (selfishly) would like that retained. Here's hoping the design solution works and the cost shifting doesn't cause any more horrible compromises...

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on August 11, 2020, 14:08:43 PM
Just completed a pre-recorded interview with Steve Austin ABC Brisbane Radio Drive show.  Scheduled to be played around 5pm this afternoon (11th August 2020), but that could change.

Interview 11 Aug 2020  ABC Brisbane Radio Drive
Host Steve Austin with Robert Dow RAIL Back On Track
discussion re today's developments with Cross River Rail and some other concerns.

>> https://backontrack.org/docs/abcbris/abcbris_rd11aug20.mp3 MP3 14.1 MB

ozbob

paulg

Good interview, well done @ozbob.

paulg

Quote from: paulg on August 11, 2020, 18:01:17 PM
... though I'll be very cranky with you if you take away my Dutton Park Station :)

Gazza

Paulg, if dutton park gets taken away, wouldn't Boggo Rd offer a faster trip into the city since you are making less stops and avoiding the slow section between the Merivale Bridge and Roma St.

Out of interest, what would be your thoughts if Dutton Park was slid back 100-200m or so, to allow curve and gradient easing into the new station?

paulg

Quote from: Gazza on August 11, 2020, 18:12:35 PM
Paulg, if dutton park gets taken away, wouldn't Boggo Rd offer a faster trip into the city since you are making less stops and avoiding the slow section between the Merivale Bridge and Roma St.

Out of interest, what would be your thoughts if Dutton Park was slid back 100-200m or so, to allow curve and gradient easing into the new station?
Two issues for me with that, one is that the walk to Boggo Road is 1.5km vs a 550m walk to Dutton Park. The other is that I need to get to Central so CRR won't get me there directly anyway.
If the station is slid further south, close to Fenton, that would suit me fine. 
The walk to Fairfield Station is about 800m so if Dutton Park was abolished that's probably my least worst option.

paulg

... and bus is a really poor substitute for train in my area, especially anywhere near peak...

BrizCommuter

Quote from: paulg on August 11, 2020, 18:25:53 PM

Two issues for me with that, one is that the walk to Boggo Road is 1.5km vs a 550m walk to Dutton Park. The other is that I need to get to Central so CRR won't get me there directly anyway.
The walk to Fairfield Station is about 800m so if Dutton Park was abolished that's probably my least worst option.

Boggo Rd station entrance will be approx. 650m walking distance from the entrance to Dutton Park. I just measured it on google maps. Given that Dutton Park is also served by 5 bus routes, of which one of high frequency, and there will be a pedestrian bridge linking Boggo Rd with PA Hospital, than I think that dropping Dutton Park could be justified.

paulg

Quote from: BrizCommuter on August 11, 2020, 18:49:09 PM
Quote from: paulg on August 11, 2020, 18:25:53 PM

Boggo Rd station entrance will be approx. 650m walking distance from the entrance to Dutton Park. I just measured it on google maps. Given that Dutton Park is also served by 5 bus routes, of which one of high frequency, and there will be a pedestrian bridge linking Boggo Rd with PA Hospital, than I think that dropping Dutton Park could be justified.
Well the idea of closing the station was unpopular when it was part of the BaT tunnel proposal. They claim to have found an acceptable design solution, so I think the politicians will see retaining the station as a lower risk option (even if the cost can't actually be recouped elsewhere as per the rhetoric)

Gazza

Personally, I'd keep it open, just slide it south since there will be some southside commuters that go to PAH.

What's the issue with the grades anyway?
http://eisdocs.dsdip.qld.gov.au/Cross%20River%20Rail/project-change-7/Volume%202/long%20section%20drawings/long-section-drawings.pdf

It appears to be that its 3% (1 in 33) at the portal, but they use 3% after the Gabba to the point where it goes under the river.

The portal needs to get from 21.7m down to 9.4m at Boggo Rd  so 12.3m drop.
It does this in 494m of track.

Average 2.5% grade.

If we dropped this back to a really generous 2% average grade (1 in 50) then Dutton Park only really needs to shift back 120m.
Not bhed.

http://eisdocs.dsdip.qld.gov.au/Cross%20River%20Rail/project-change-7/Volume%202/General%20arrangement%20drawings/general-arrangement-11.pdf

The station was already being slid 80m south.

so hey, if we move the station even further south, its now actually a decent distance from Boggo Rd. A win all around  :wi3

In other news, if you have an LNP member or candidate, drop them an email and tell them they are being silly  :bna: :bna: :bna:

Hi Judi,
I noticed that rail issues are back in the news with respect to Cross River Rail

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/queensland/govt-ignored-safety-advice-to-save-rail-commuters-nine-minute-walk-20200811-p55kig.html

Deb Frecklington made a statement that the government shouldn't have built a station at Boggo Rd, and instead should have done the cheaper option of a new station at Dutton Park next to the hospital.
Can I say that as a rail user, the cheaper option would have actually been worse for people in our area and misses the point of doing a new station in the area in the first place.
Im not sure how familiar you are with the junction at Boggo Rd, but its like the attached.

The design that was chosen has the new underground station and the existing station stacked on top of each other, so it's a quick escalator ride and walk for people changing modes between the underground platforms and the busway/overground platforms.
A design like this was done around 20 years ago at Wolli Creek station in Sydney when they built the airport rail tunnel:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wolli+Creek+NSW+2205/@-33.9285962,151.1536138,229m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x6b12b0973160015f:0x5017d6816334380!8m2!3d-33.9299813!4d151.1534281

image.png

You can see the new underground station cavity outlined in purple and the existing bus/train station in red.
Note how they are connected, and yes it costs a fair bit of money to do this, but this is how it is done around the world because it allows for quick connections for people changing trains.

The cheaper rejected alternative site is in green, and PAH Bus station is circled in Pink.
You can see that to change trains to the existing lines would be about a 600m walk (- - - - - ) in the weather, and likewise students needing to reach buses would have to board at PAH hospital bus station also have a long walk, so would also be walking out in the weather past all the hospital laundries etc.
Anybody from Beenleigh trying to get to UQ or to the eastern suburbs would be stuck making these long walks

Fundamentally, if we spend hundreds of millions on road upgrades to save a few minutes of driving time, then clearly it makes sense to spend hundreds of millions optimising the design of the major rail interchange stations to save several minutes of walking time too.
So the chosen design with the new station buried under the current one is the best choice.

Regards

paulg

I guess the issue is a combination of the horizontal curve and the grades. Presumably QR don't like the current design proposal due to the curve affecting platform gaps and visibility, and if it is moved further south to get straighter platforms then that creates a vertical alignment problem because you'd have to lower the tracks to the north of the station (including under the Annerley Rd bridge) to achieve a flat track through the relocated station. That track lowering is presumably where the extra expense is incurred.

verbatim9

Just eliminate Dutton Park station and realign the tunnel to Boggo Road.

Jonno

Quote from: verbatim9 on August 11, 2020, 21:31:56 PM
Just eliminate Dutton Park station and realign the tunnel to Boggo Road.

Agree totally.  Spend the savings making sure the new Boggo Rd a action is connected underground to the existing Platforms/bus station as a single integrated station!

ozbob

Sent to all outlets:

12th August 2020

Boggo Road and Park Road are go!

RAIL Back On Track supports the decision to build the Cross River Rail underground station at Boggo Road.

If you want to understand the importance of this station, all you need to do is look at a map.

Boggo Road/Park Road is a three way junction between train lines and the Busway to UQ.
It will be one of the busiest stations in the network, and has a crucial role in terms of allowing people to make connections between services and other modes.

Cross River Rail is best served by a set of underground platforms at this location to allow people to continue to make connections, and indeed make new ones.

The touted alternative of building a station off by itself next on some spare land next to the PA hospital may be cheaper and easier from an engineering standpoint, but it is only useful for getting to the hospital itself. That site lacks efficient connectivity with other lines, damaging the ability of CRR to unclog transport bottlenecks and inconveniencing passengers. PA Hospital already has its own Busway station.

In cities overseas, it is perfectly commonplace to see stations with platforms stacked on different levels, with escalators linking between them to allow connections to be made between services. This isn't cheap, but it's an inherent part of having a web of interconnected lines.

For public transport to work, it needs to be fast. Introducing long hot/wet walks when changing modes is a non starter.

RAIL Back On Track supports the the current plan to build what is necessary to ensure Boggo Road station functions as an efficient interchange with rail and busways.

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track https://backontrack.org

References:

1. CRR Boggo Road Station Precinct https://crossriverrail.qld.gov.au/precincts/boggo-road-station-precincts/

2. Interview 11 Aug 2020  ABC Brisbane Radio Drive
Host Steve Austin with Robert Dow RAIL Back On Track
https://backontrack.org/docs/abcbris/abcbris_rd11aug20.mp3 MP3 14.1 MB

ozbob

ozbob

Quote from: paulg on August 11, 2020, 18:02:38 PM
Quote from: paulg on August 11, 2020, 18:01:17 PM
... though I'll be very cranky with you if you take away my Dutton Park Station :)

Thanks Paul. Steve gave me a good run.   :-c

ozbob

ozbob

Couriermail 12th August 2020 page 17

Battle stations

====

Couriermail 12th August 2020 page 46

Editorial: State's high cost of going off the rails

QUEENSLANDERS wake today with yet another reminder courtesy of its State Government that there are consequences when you forget you are responsible for your own actions, no matter the catalyst.

Last month, a Crime and Corruption Commission report into the appointment of a school principal revealed how senior Education Department bureaucrats made some seriously poor choices in a desperate bid to do what they assumed the then-deputy premier and treasurer Jackie Trad wanted.

This week's revelations by The Courier-Mail about the cabinet decision to proceed with a Boggo Road station against all the expert advice shows the government's most senior decision-making body – the four-member Cabinet Budget Review Committee – was apparently similarly in thrall of Ms Trad's strong personality.

And yet – just as those public servants have since discovered – however forceful and feisty Ms Trad might have been about the project (that she was responsible for and that was in her electorate), the Premier and other ministers who were sitting around that table are now the ones who have to live with and explain that decision.

The consequences of Ms Trad's intransigence and the collective weak-will of those at that table is at the very least an inferior outcome for one of the biggest state-funded projects in Queensland's history.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk lectured the state's public servants when that CCC report was released last month – saying there were lessons for all of them in what had gone wrong with the principal appointment process.

This time, the failure and the requirement to learn from it falls squarely at her own feet.

While the $5.4bn Cross River Rail might be viewed as just another Brisbane boondoggle by regional Queenslanders, The Courier-Mail has always backed the project because of the long-term benefits for the state's capital and the surrounding region.

It is vital for the liveability of a fast-growing region such as southeast Queensland that it has a highly functioning public transport network that is able to cater for the escalating number of commuters over the decades to come.

The cost of retrofitting the region with such infrastructure isn't going to get any cheaper. Cross River Rail will not only avoid an inevitable crunch in services caused by having a single train bridge into the inner city via a tunnel beneath the river, it will be the critical catalyst that enlivens some of Brisbane's most forlorn and forgotten precincts.

However, you would hope when a government is pushing ahead with something of the scale and complexity of this, it would ensure all options had been exhaustively analysed. Alas, it appears like that hasn't happened – and that politics was allowed to interfere with sensible decision-making.

Inextricably, the government decided to ignore bidders and its own technical experts and push ahead with its plans for a new Boggo Road station and an upgrade to Dutton Park station, rather than a single stop in between next to the Princess Alexandra Hospital.

Why? We are now told it was because it would apparently save a small number of commuters a short walk. The cost of that decision is yet to be worked out, but it will be significant due to the need to ensure the more challenging Boggo Road route meets necessary engineering and safety standards.

And even if you believe the assurances the adjustments won't blow out the overall cost, the money has to come from cutting something else – and all because nobody had the guts to rein in the power of one.

ozbob

^

This ...  how much can be cut?

:-*

BrizCommuter

Quote from: ozbob on August 12, 2020, 04:48:01 AM
Couriermail 12th August 2020 page 17

Battle stations

====

Couriermail 12th August 2020 page 46

Editorial: State's high cost of going off the rails

QUEENSLANDERS wake today with yet another reminder courtesy of its State Government that there are consequences when you forget you are responsible for your own actions, no matter the catalyst.

Last month, a Crime and Corruption Commission report into the appointment of a school principal revealed how senior Education Department bureaucrats made some seriously poor choices in a desperate bid to do what they assumed the then-deputy premier and treasurer Jackie Trad wanted.

This week's revelations by The Courier-Mail about the cabinet decision to proceed with a Boggo Road station against all the expert advice shows the government's most senior decision-making body – the four-member Cabinet Budget Review Committee – was apparently similarly in thrall of Ms Trad's strong personality.

And yet – just as those public servants have since discovered – however forceful and feisty Ms Trad might have been about the project (that she was responsible for and that was in her electorate), the Premier and other ministers who were sitting around that table are now the ones who have to live with and explain that decision.

The consequences of Ms Trad's intransigence and the collective weak-will of those at that table is at the very least an inferior outcome for one of the biggest state-funded projects in Queensland's history.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk lectured the state's public servants when that CCC report was released last month – saying there were lessons for all of them in what had gone wrong with the principal appointment process.

This time, the failure and the requirement to learn from it falls squarely at her own feet.

While the $5.4bn Cross River Rail might be viewed as just another Brisbane boondoggle by regional Queenslanders, The Courier-Mail has always backed the project because of the long-term benefits for the state's capital and the surrounding region.

It is vital for the liveability of a fast-growing region such as southeast Queensland that it has a highly functioning public transport network that is able to cater for the escalating number of commuters over the decades to come.

The cost of retrofitting the region with such infrastructure isn't going to get any cheaper. Cross River Rail will not only avoid an inevitable crunch in services caused by having a single train bridge into the inner city via a tunnel beneath the river, it will be the critical catalyst that enlivens some of Brisbane's most forlorn and forgotten precincts.

However, you would hope when a government is pushing ahead with something of the scale and complexity of this, it would ensure all options had been exhaustively analysed. Alas, it appears like that hasn't happened – and that politics was allowed to interfere with sensible decision-making.

Inextricably, the government decided to ignore bidders and its own technical experts and push ahead with its plans for a new Boggo Road station and an upgrade to Dutton Park station, rather than a single stop in between next to the Princess Alexandra Hospital.

Why? We are now told it was because it would apparently save a small number of commuters a short walk. The cost of that decision is yet to be worked out, but it will be significant due to the need to ensure the more challenging Boggo Road route meets necessary engineering and safety standards.

And even if you believe the assurances the adjustments won't blow out the overall cost, the money has to come from cutting something else – and all because nobody had the guts to rein in the power of one.

The editorial misses the point on how busy the interchange will be. Correct Boggo Rd placement is far more critical than Dutton Park.

BrizCommuter

Plus it also fails to mention that the change of portal location was due to the Newman government. This cost blowout could have paid for the extended tunnel!

ozbob

They have to make the best of what they have got now.   Concerned for what will be cut from the project scope though, if the claims that the costs are more than originally planned for Boggo Road are on the mark.   The lack of real scrutiny is an issue. I am very tired of the constant battle to get even basic information.  They produce the ' commercial in confidence ' card in a flash, hide behind dumb legislation. A board that is no way independent and in fact cannot go against Government policy, even though that policy could be flawed.

The Department of the Premier and Cabinet Roles and responsibilities ( https://www.premiers.qld.gov.au/publications/categories/policies-and-codes/handbooks/welcome-aboard/public-employee-roles/responsibilities.aspx ) states where public service employees are members of Government Boards this in part:

" When appointed to a Government Board in an official capacity, the public service employee should be aware of the government's policy imperatives and should not present a personal opinion or position that is contrary to either the Minister's directives or the government's policy agenda. "

We are therefore rightly concerned that activities of the CRRDA are not subject to proper public scrutiny.  We call on all political parties to consider amending legislation to remove CRRDA from Schedule 2 of the RTI legislation and make it subject to proper scrutiny.

I am convinced that stacking the board with public servants was a move to shut down any dissent or differing opinion at the board level.

Gazza

Hey I have another money saving tip for Deb Frecklington, just delete the stop at Roma Street too.

Just make people walk 10 mins from Albert St to Central or KGS for interchange :-r

I mean, it's clear passenger convenience doesn't mean sh%t to them if they can save a buck on the project.

ozbob

Understand we have been MID* in Queensland Parliament (QT) this morning concerning support for Boggo Road station in the proper location (in proximity with Park Road).

*Mentioned in dispatches

paulg

Hopefully they also heard your request for a rail service plan!

Gazza

I always think its worthwhile injecting common sense into debates by making concise statements about what is right.

timh

Awesome work Bob, Gaz, et al. To have RBOTs statements being used as part of an argument from an official government entity really shows the influence the group has, and the hard work you guys put in to get the results. Can't praise your work enough.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gazza

Check out the old plans from the Boggo Rd busway opening day
https://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=2534.0

Note how even then they were thinking ahead about Boggo Rd being a transport hub, and introduced the hook in the busway to ensure this would occur.
(Rather than a straight line to PAH and Buranda)

This busway was built in 2008, and the ICIRS was happening simultaneously. Good bit of futureproofing.

ozbob

^

Inner City Rail Capacity Study

kram0

Robert Dow also supports releasing the operational plan minister Bailey........Can you assist with this request or are you still playing games?  :pr

🡱 🡳