• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Cross River Rail Project

Started by ozbob, March 22, 2009, 17:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

It's not Des ...  its the Talk of Town - George Street Beat.

Talk of the town has these journalists listed as contacts for tips:

Kylie Lang, Steven Wardill, Elizabeth Tilley.

I think there is some substance to this.  They are right about the NGRs, but there is another reason as well - ATP.

Quote from: ozbob on February 08, 2020, 01:00:35 AM
No great surprise this little vignette. We have always known the cost was >> than the touted $5.4 billion ...

Couriermail --> George St Beat: Rumour puts Cross River Rail project off the rails by around $7b

QuoteALL aboard for what shapes, according to some in the know, as a gargantuan financial train wreck, as rumours circulating along George St have revealed the whole-of-project cost for Cross River Rail, and it's a whopper.

ALL aboard for what shapes, according to some in the know, as a gargantuan financial train wreck.

The scuttlebutt along George St is that a brief has landed in the Cabinet bags of Palaszczuk Government ministers laying out the whole-of-project cost for Cross River Rail.

And the figure being bandied about – unconfirmed, of course, because these things are top secret – is ... wait for it ... a whopping $12 billion.

That would be some blowout given the 10.2km rail link was priced at $5.4 billion.

Apparently it's got something to do with upgrades to existing train stations.

And there's suggestions only the New Generation Rollingstock – those Indian-made models that Labor doesn't much like – are the only trains capable of handling Cross River Rail's incline.

No wonder left-wing union foot stamping for a better wage deal is falling on deaf ears.

Add in the extra cost of trains, and necessary track improvements on the network ... is $12 Billion going to cover it?
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

kram0

The article is slightly wrong Bob, as the state government were contributing $5.4B and the private sector about $1.5B. But this project was always going to exceed these figures with all the additional scope of extras. And to think they are still cutting corners and not adopting experts recommendations.

:fp:

Fares_Fair

The Premier recently referred to the cost of Cross River Rail at $6 billion in a media release. Not sure why Hon Mark Bailey still uses the original cost figure that hasn't changed in years.
Even #2tracks cost rose within 18 months, from $780m up to $800m.
Yet CRR is perennially the same.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

James

$12bn seems a bit excessive, and a massive escalation from the Business Case at $5.4bn.

An increase to $7bn may be reasonable, but $12bn? I feel that figure includes a lot of peripheral benefits, including station upgrades, ATP, new rolling stock etc.

Perhaps the new stations are going to be very expensive to build because they're being built on brownfield sites in constrained sites? Contaminated land?

If it is going to cost $1bn to deliver new stations, you'd be better off putting the tunnel portal back at Yeerongpilly again. At least that negates some of the station upgrades and is operationally superior.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

verbatim9

It was always going to be around the 15billion figure incl 50 new trains, operating cost and infrastructure improvements coinciding with CRR. LNP mentioned this in Parliament last year.

No doubt assets will need to be sold or leased. Plus more money will need to be asked from the Federal Government. Daily operations of the train network will need to go Driver Only to save on costs. The trains will need to go out for competitive tender so a new affordable EBA can be drawn up. The current one is not balanced.

^^Some of the costs will be offset by private sector fed through commerical opportunities.

timh

Quote from: James on February 08, 2020, 11:34:28 AM
$12bn seems a bit excessive, and a massive escalation from the Business Case at $5.4bn.

An increase to $7bn may be reasonable, but $12bn? I feel that figure includes a lot of peripheral benefits, including station upgrades, ATP, new rolling stock etc.

Perhaps the new stations are going to be very expensive to build because they're being built on brownfield sites in constrained sites? Contaminated land?

If it is going to cost $1bn to deliver new stations, you'd be better off putting the tunnel portal back at Yeerongpilly again. At least that negates some of the station upgrades and is operationally superior.
From what I've heard the soil at the Woolloongabba site was extremely contaminated. Layers and layers of asbestos that had to be dug away.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

red dragin

Other interesting remnants of the Woolloongabba depot where found too, to go on display later in this year.

ozbob

ozbob

verbatim9

Demolition is underway on what was once Brisbane's most luxurious hotel. The former Travelodge, which recently became Hotel Jen, is making way for Cross River Rail as the city begins a major transformation. https://t.co/VZ3A1cpmr5 @STitmus7 #7NEWS https://t.co/n3WOjMMDGX

https://twitter.com/7NewsBrisbane/status/1226793920157237248

verbatim9

Quote from: verbatim9 on February 10, 2020, 19:39:10 PM
Demolition is underway on what was once Brisbane's most luxurious hotel. The former Travelodge, which recently became Hotel Jen, is making way for Cross River Rail as the city begins a major transformation. https://t.co/VZ3A1cpmr5 @STitmus7 #7NEWS https://t.co/n3WOjMMDGX

https://twitter.com/7NewsBrisbane/status/1226793920157237248
"No guarantees that it won't go over budget". But the works planned to date are budgeted for with contractors. How much construction work can 5.4 billion dollars buy?

I guess the other 5-10billion will be offset by commercial led developments around the stations

I hope they can purchase another 50 next Generation NGR'S with new improved specs. e.g. Pre installed ATP/ETCS2, Faster potential speeds to run on new lines like the Toowoomba line and Gold coast line. USB charging, Dynamic real time onboard information via Audio, and new LED displays. Plus accessibility improvements which have been flagged previously.

AnonymouslyBad

^ The construction contractors are very good at their job, which is extracting maximum payment for minimum work ;)
They're surely not getting paid to actually deliver X or Y part of CRR, but for incredibly specific scopes of work where the government assumes almost all risk. If they dug up some dirt and discovered a $50 note, they'd probably find a way to call it a scope change. And pocket the $50.

Budgets for large infrastructure projects are always very optimistic. It's not because the project office are idiots, it's because it's politics.

I'll be surprised if CRR finishes with much change from $10 billion (just by itself!) but I guess it's all for the best in the end.  :)

Gazza

Curious to know why extra trains are being lumped into the cost of CRR?

Even without CRR, wouldn't we be ordering new trains?

aldonius

Without CRR do we actually have any way to use more trains until the oldest IMUs and SMUs hit end of life in the late 2030?

SurfRail

Quote from: Gazza on February 12, 2020, 20:47:16 PM
Curious to know why extra trains are being lumped into the cost of CRR?

Even without CRR, wouldn't we be ordering new trains?

Likewise the cost of rolling out ATP
Ride the G:

ozbob

Couriermail --> Cross River Rail builder slapped with improvement notices over muddy worksite

QuoteThe site of one of Cross River Rail's future stations has been hit by yet another round of health and safety notices, this time due to wet weather.

A CONTRACTOR for Cross River Rail has once again been put on notice, just months after the same site was caught breaking asbestos guidelines.

The Courier-Mail understands the construction site of the future Albert St station was on Tuesday hit with 'a handful' of improvement notices by Workplace Health and Safety.

The revelations come after the CFMEU took to Facebook yesterday to accuse builder CPB Contracting of "expecting workers to wade through ankle deep mud to do their jobs" at the Brisbane City site.

The powerful union also alleged requests to backfill gravel along paths had been ignored by CPB.

Following a week of heavy rain across the southeast, pictures published by the union show the site has turned into a muddy pit.

The improvement notices include notice to fix alleged inadequate access and egress to work areas.

Under state law, improvement notices compel the recipient to fix a situation on a worksite which is law-breaking.

Failure to do so could result in an on-the-spot fine or further action being taken against the site.
CPB Contracting declined to comment.

The notices follow revelations in December that the same site was issued with two improvement notices over alleged mishandling of asbestos material.

It led the CFMEU to demand the Palaszczuk Government intervene in the situation, claiming the state of works were endangering lives.

kram0

Storm in a tea cup as the CFMEU were not the preferred union of choice for the main contractor.

ozbob

verbatim9

Quote from: kram0 on February 13, 2020, 14:10:27 PM
Storm in a tea cup as the CFMEU were not the preferred union of choice for the main contractor.
Yep another Union hack.

nathandavid88

Here's a random question - has there been any change to the announced plan to sink the busway underground at Roma Street?

Yesterday on the Facebook post about the Transit Centre Demolition (the FB version of the Twitter post above), in the comments a woman was adamant that the Busway won't be underground, as "they realised they can't do it". Usually I wouldn't pay much attention to a random comment like this, but just now looking at the Roma Street Station Precinct page on the Cross River Rail website, there appears to be a new video (or at least new to me, not having noticed it previously) showing the station, plaza, Brisbane Live and potential surrounding developments, and towards the end it you get a glimpse of what appears to be an open air busway at plaza level - rather than buried under it as was previously announced.

SurfRail

^ Timestamp?  I couldn't see it.  The existing busway footprint is clearly there, but there is a building podium sitting on it at 3:01.
Ride the G:

timh

I haven't read anything official to say that it's not staying underground. But you're right that render does appear to have it open air, albeit covered with some building podiums. Can we try contact someone on the planning team?

JustSomeTrainGuy

Ewww... who designed the interior? That red facade isn't going to age well. Transit Centre 2.0 anybody?

nathandavid88

Quote from: SurfRail on February 14, 2020, 13:54:21 PM
^ Timestamp?  I couldn't see it.  The existing busway footprint is clearly there, but there is a building podium sitting on it at 3:01.

I first see it at approx 2:42-2:45 when the camera pans above the plaza (more visible when viewed at a larger size). As for the point at 3:01, the corridor is visible between the towers, as I assume it would be as it has to connect up to the existing busway.

Gazza

Quote from: nathandavid88 on February 14, 2020, 15:48:40 PM

I first see it at approx 2:42-2:45 when the camera pans above the plaza (more visible when viewed at a larger size). As for the point at 3:01, the corridor is visible between the towers, as I assume it would be as it has to connect up to the existing busway.
Is that just the terracotta they use in KGS?

SurfRail

Quote from: nathandavid88 on February 14, 2020, 15:48:40 PM

The bit that's visible appears to be platform 2 rather than the busway itself. 

As it is there is a tower sitting on the platform 3 track, so I wouldn't read too much into it.
Ride the G:

James

Quote from: nathandavid88 on February 14, 2020, 15:48:40 PMI first see it at approx 2:42-2:45 when the camera pans above the plaza (more visible when viewed at a larger size). As for the point at 3:01, the corridor is visible between the towers, as I assume it would be as it has to connect up to the existing busway.

It just looks like a bad visualisation tbh - it honestly looks like the existing busway and transit centre were greyed out and very little was done to hide the existing infrastructure.

A lot of these marketing videos are just fluff, and a lot of the fly-throughs you see in the media of projects are often out of date or have superseded items. Rounds of public consultation will have more up-to-date plans - CRR is still very much in design stage.
Is it really that hard to run frequent, reliable public transport?

verbatim9

Couriermail.com.au----> Shock move as Cross River Rail may turn multibillion fail

Shock move as Cross River Rail may turn multibillion fail

The minister responsible for Queensland's biggest public transport project has taken drastic action amid fears it has run off the rails.

Cross River Rail Exhibition Station new details revealed
THE 10-member board overseeing Cross River Rail will be scrapped amid mounting concerns Queensland's biggest ever public transport project has run off the rails.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Cross River Rail Minister Kate Jones has informed board members that their terms will not be renewed and she is taking direct control of the $5.4 billion underground train project as part of a new structure.

An experienced compliance officer, who oversaw construction of Suncorp Stadium in the early 2000s, will be appointed to monitor progress of the controversial contractor appointed to build the 10.2km project between Dutton Park and Bowen Hills.

The news comes amid speculation Cross River Rail will cost taxpayers billions of dollars more than forecast, as well as construction union outrage about the industrial deal struck over the site.

CPB Contractors, which is part of both consortiums building the project, has clashed with the Victorian Government after announcing it will terminate its contract to build the $6.7 billion West Gate Tunnel after a dispute about contaminated soil.

Ms Jones, who was handed responsibility for the project last year following Deputy Premier Jackie Trad's integrity scandal, said there were concerns about the contractor's behaviour in other states and she was determined the same would not be repeated in Queensland.

"Right now, CPB is trying to weasel its way out of its contract with the Victorian Government on the multibillion West Gate Tunnel," she said.

"I'm not going to let CPB run roughshod over Queenslanders or the workers on this job."

Ms Jones confirmed the current board, headed by former Labor deputy premier Paul Lucas, would be wound up and the Cross River Rail Delivery Authority would report directly to her..

She said the new structure would help the Government maintain a closer watch on the project as it progressed.

"Since coming into the role at the end of last year, I have been reviewing the structure of the Cross River Rail Delivery Authority," she said.

"It is clear to me and to Cabinet that now we have moved from the procurement phase to the construction phase of the project we need to beef-up compliance."

The terms of all but one member of the Cross River Rail board — which includes senior public servants Dave Stewart, Frankie Carroll, Neil Scales and Damien Walker — expire in April.

Cross River Rail is due to be completed by 2024.

It includes twin tunnels beneath the Brisbane River and four new underground stations at Boggo Road, Woolloongabba, Albert St and Roma St.

timh

Quote from: verbatim9 on February 25, 2020, 22:58:13 PM
Couriermail.com.au----> Shock move as Cross River Rail may turn multibillion fail

Shock move as Cross River Rail may turn multibillion fail

The minister responsible for Queensland's biggest public transport project has taken drastic action amid fears it has run off the rails.

Cross River Rail Exhibition Station new details revealed
THE 10-member board overseeing Cross River Rail will be scrapped amid mounting concerns Queensland's biggest ever public transport project has run off the rails.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Cross River Rail Minister Kate Jones has informed board members that their terms will not be renewed and she is taking direct control of the $5.4 billion underground train project as part of a new structure.

An experienced compliance officer, who oversaw construction of Suncorp Stadium in the early 2000s, will be appointed to monitor progress of the controversial contractor appointed to build the 10.2km project between Dutton Park and Bowen Hills.

The news comes amid speculation Cross River Rail will cost taxpayers billions of dollars more than forecast, as well as construction union outrage about the industrial deal struck over the site.

CPB Contractors, which is part of both consortiums building the project, has clashed with the Victorian Government after announcing it will terminate its contract to build the $6.7 billion West Gate Tunnel after a dispute about contaminated soil.

Ms Jones, who was handed responsibility for the project last year following Deputy Premier Jackie Trad's integrity scandal, said there were concerns about the contractor's behaviour in other states and she was determined the same would not be repeated in Queensland.

"Right now, CPB is trying to weasel its way out of its contract with the Victorian Government on the multibillion West Gate Tunnel," she said.

"I'm not going to let CPB run roughshod over Queenslanders or the workers on this job."

Ms Jones confirmed the current board, headed by former Labor deputy premier Paul Lucas, would be wound up and the Cross River Rail Delivery Authority would report directly to her..

She said the new structure would help the Government maintain a closer watch on the project as it progressed.

"Since coming into the role at the end of last year, I have been reviewing the structure of the Cross River Rail Delivery Authority," she said.

"It is clear to me and to Cabinet that now we have moved from the procurement phase to the construction phase of the project we need to beef-up compliance."

The terms of all but one member of the Cross River Rail board — which includes senior public servants Dave Stewart, Frankie Carroll, Neil Scales and Damien Walker — expire in April.

Cross River Rail is due to be completed by 2024.

It includes twin tunnels beneath the Brisbane River and four new underground stations at Boggo Road, Woolloongabba, Albert St and Roma St.
Scary headline but the outcome here is good.... I think....?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ozbob

Not. Surprised.

What a massive slap in the face for certain individuals hey?

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> Cross River Rail board to be sacked as Minister takes the reins

QuoteThe 10-member board overseeing the Cross River Rail project will be sacked within two months as Minister Kate Jones takes control to give herself more oversight ahead of the construction phase.

The contracts of the majority of the 10 current board members were due to expire in April, but they were told on Tuesday their contracts would not be renewed.

Cross River Rail is the largest infrastructure project in Queensland's history and will cost an estimated $5.4 billion to build a 10.2-kilometre stretch of rail track, with 5.9 kilometres to be incorporated in a tunnel, and will incorporate four underground stations.

It will deliver an extra 18,000 seats on Brisbane trains, take 14,000 drivers off the roads, cut travel time on south-east Queensland train lines and create more than 7700 jobs.

Cross River Rail Minister Jones said she wants to ensure head contractor CPB Group and the Pulse consortium deliver, after CPB Group had been involved in disputes on interstate projects.

"Right now, CPB is trying to weasel its way out of its contract with the Victorian Government on the multi-billion-dollar West Gate Tunnel," Ms Jones said in a statement.

"Since coming into the role at the end of last year, I have been reviewing the structure of the Cross River Rail Delivery Authority.

"It is clear to me and to Cabinet that now we have moved from the procurement phase to the construction phase of the project we need to beef up compliance.

"While the construction project is currently on track and on budget, it is early days.

"I want to ensure I have the right people with the right skills to deliver this project and hold CPB and Pulse Consortium to account.

The Cross River Rail Authority will now report directly to the minister, and a compliance unit will be set up to act as a watchdog over the contractor.

"We've seen delays on the Victorian Government's Melbourne Metro Tunnel project due to ongoing disputes with the builder," Ms Jones said.

"And we have all suffered with the NSW stadiums deal debacle, which has seen timelines pushed out and the Grand Final being played at a cricket ground for up to three years."

The year will see the Cross River Rail construction project more than double in size with 11 new worksites to open in 2020, on top of the seven present ones, with 500 new workers ready to start.

Ms Jones said the first section of tunnelling was expected to start in August, from Woolloongabba towards Boggo Road, and work would also start at the RNA Showgrounds Exhibition Station in April.

Upgrade work was also set to begin at six stations, from Salisbury to Fairfield in Brisbane's south, as well as construction on new Gold Coast stations at Pimpama, Helensvale North and Merrimac.

In November, a sea of unionists converged outside state parliament threatening to withdraw support for the Palaszczuk government ahead of this year's election over Cross River Rail problems.

At the rally, CFMEU state secretary Michael Ravbar said Cross River Rail chief executive Graeme Newton "couldn't build a cubby house".

Flyers folded into paper planes and thrown over the gates of Parliament alleged there was no protection for workers in extreme heat, major contracts had been given to interstate and overseas companies, and there was "nothing in the agreement promoting apprentices and trainee programs".

ozbob

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2020/2/26/stronger-teeth-for-cross-river-rail-delivery-authority

Media Statements

Minister for Innovation and Tourism Industry Development and Minister for Cross River Rail
The Honourable Kate Jones

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Stronger teeth for Cross River Rail Delivery Authority

Minister for Cross River Rail Kate Jones today announced a major reform package to ensure contractual commitments on the Cross River Rail project are delivered as the project moves to the construction phase.

Ms Jones said her priority was to ensure that Pulse consortium and head contractor CPB Group complied fully with their contract with the State Government to deliver the largest infrastructure project in Queensland's history.

"Right now, CPB is trying to weasel its way out of its contract with the Victorian Government on the multi-billion-dollar West Gate Tunnel.

"Since coming into the role at the end of last year, I have been reviewing the structure of the Cross River Rail Delivery Authority.

"It is clear to me and to Cabinet that now we have moved from the procurement phase to the construction phase of the project we need to beef up compliance.

"Our government has made strong commitments to Queenslanders to deliver long-term benefits to the state's future through our record investment in infrastructure.

"This includes more jobs for locals, more training for young apprentices and trainees and better workplace health and safety, delivering real opportunities for local Queensland businesses to get contracts as well as fair industrial relations practices and environmental compliance.

"While the construction project is currently on track and on budget, it is early days.

"I want to ensure I have the right people with the right skills to deliver this project and hold CPB and Pulse Consortium to account.

Ms Jones today announced that Cabinet had agreed to the following reforms:

1. The Cross River Rail Delivery Authority will report directly to the Minister

2. A Compliance Unit will be established to ensure all commitments made by the contractor are met during the construction of the project

3. The board will be restructured once the current term expires in April this year, in line with the transition from procurement to construction

Ms Jones said Queensland will heed the lessons from southern states experiencing massive contractual disputes that were delaying vital infrastructure.

"We've seen delays on the Victorian Government's Melbourne Metro Tunnel project due to on-going disputes with the builder," she said.

"And we have all suffered with the NSW stadiums deal debacle that has seen timelines pushed out and the Grand Final being played at a cricket ground for up to three years."

Ms Jones said that the Compliance Unit would be established immediately.

ENDS

ozbob

ozbob

Many will see this move as very disturbing.   Certainly is an expression of no confidence in the board.   

Perhaps cost overruns are starting to bite?

Decisive or desperate action by Minister Jones?

kram0

Bob, do you think this move by the Minister will lead too a more transparent and better overall end product?

ozbob

Quote from: kram0 on February 26, 2020, 09:58:24 AM
Bob, do you think this move by the Minister will lead too a more transparent and better overall end product?

Unsure at this point.  I am aware that he Minister has been sent a number of submissions that people wrote about concerns with the project.

Maybe the Minister has realised all is not well at present.

kram0

Quote from: ozbob on February 26, 2020, 10:16:50 AM
Quote from: kram0 on February 26, 2020, 09:58:24 AM

Unsure at this point.  I am aware that he Minister has been sent a number of submissions that people wrote about concerns with the project.

Maybe the Minister has realised all is not well at present.

Fingers crossed she stands up and listens to the experts such as David, who have clearly gone on record to highlight design flaws as the project currently stands.

ozbob

Couriermail --> Cross River Rail: What is and isn't included in $5.4 billion budget

QuoteKate Jones' decision to scrap the Cross River Rail board and take control of the $5.4 billion is a massive risk, but in an era of big-budget blowouts, it's one she had to take.

WHEN the Beattie government redeveloped Suncorp Stadium in the early 2000s it was acutely sensitive about cost blow outs hitting Queensland taxpayers.

The administration had already copped criticism after the price of the Goodwill Bridge overshot its budget by more than $20 million and stern orders were issued that this was not to happen again.

However, in the two decades since, massive overruns on taxpayer-funded projects have become so common that even governments, the supposed custodians of the public purse, don't seem to care much any more.

The new Townsville Stadium blew out by $50 million, a whopping 20 per cent, and nobody appeared to blink an eye.

It would have been a scandal that scorched a government's credentials in the past, spurned audit inquiries and hand-on-heart promises it won't happen again.

But the response to what occurred in Townsville was little more than "Meh. How about them Cowboys?".

Cross River Rail Minister Kate Jones clearly has a different attitude.

Her decision to remove the $5.4 billion project's board and take direct control is politically risky but probably the right move given it is the most expensive public transport project in Queensland's history.

A slip of just a few per cent in costs would make the Townsville Stadium blowout appear minuscule.

Jones insists the contract for Cross River Rail is still $5.4 billion and her job is to ensure that's what it costs.

But given the spate of blowouts to major transport projects in other states because of costs that were unaccounted for, the real question is what is and what isn't included in that contract.

The next question after that is clear. Can the State Budget really afford to fully fund Cross River Rail?

ozbob

Couriermail --> Kate Jones promises to deliver $5.4 billion Cross River Rail project on budget

QuoteMinister Kate Jones has promised taxpayers she will do her job and deliver the Cross River Rail project without blowing its $5.4 billion budget.

CROSS River Rail Minister Kate Jones says she'll guarantee taxpayers she'll do her job and keep the $5.4 billion train project's budget from blowing out.

After announcing her decision to scrap the board and take on direct oversight of the project – a move that will save taxpayers $4 million – Ms Jones said she could guarantee the contract to deliver the major Brisbane project was "very tight".

Amid speculation the full cost of the project could run over, Ms Jones was asked if she could guarantee there would be no blowouts.

"It's my job to keep it to that $5.4 billion bill," she said.

"I'll guarantee you that the contract we have is for $5.4 billion and that's what I'm holding them to."

Ms Jones said they were "on budget right now, but it is early days". She said she had met with lawyers over the contract that was in place.

"I'm very confident that the contract we have in place ... it is a very tight contract.

"But I also know you can't deliver a project of this size by being hands off.

"You need to be hands on to keep the contractor accountable.

"They need to know that we are breathing down their neck."

verbatim9

Quote from: ozbob on February 26, 2020, 13:38:23 PM
Couriermail --> Kate Jones promises to deliver $5.4 billion Cross River Rail project on budget

QuoteMinister Kate Jones has promised taxpayers she will do her job and deliver the Cross River Rail project without blowing its $5.4 billion budget.

CROSS River Rail Minister Kate Jones says she'll guarantee taxpayers she'll do her job and keep the $5.4 billion train project's budget from blowing out.

After announcing her decision to scrap the board and take on direct oversight of the project – a move that will save taxpayers $4 million – Ms Jones said she could guarantee the contract to deliver the major Brisbane project was "very tight".

Amid speculation the full cost of the project could run over, Ms Jones was asked if she could guarantee there would be no blowouts.

"It's my job to keep it to that $5.4 billion bill," she said.

"I'll guarantee you that the contract we have is for $5.4 billion and that's what I'm holding them to."

Ms Jones said they were "on budget right now, but it is early days". She said she had met with lawyers over the contract that was in place.

"I'm very confident that the contract we have in place ... it is a very tight contract.

"But I also know you can't deliver a project of this size by being hands off.

"You need to be hands on to keep the contractor accountable.

"They need to know that we are breathing down their neck."
Promise is such a loose word. Pledges is more appropriate.

🡱 🡳