• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Cross River Rail Project

Started by ozbob, March 22, 2009, 17:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

As far as I am concerned the LNP can go jump.  Gibbering untruths and unable to put community before politics.

ozbob

Quote from: BrizCommuter on June 13, 2017, 20:37:07 PM
Will Cross River Rail finally become reality?
http://brizcommuter.blogspot.com.au/2017/06/will-cross-river-rail-finally-become.html

Can you imagine what would happen if not much happens with CRR and the LNP limp over the line at #qldvotes ?

Four more years of nothing, except perhaps a plan, vid and glossy, for the MaT (MagLev to WideBay and Train tunnel) ?

This state is potentially moribund for ever with the failed political classes out and about these days.

OzGamer

Quote from: Cazza on June 13, 2017, 16:37:53 PM
Will provisional works be included to upgrade to 4 tracks later on down the track? (mind the pun)

The original Inner City Rail Capacity Report that led to the Cross River Rail project recommended two tracks but four platforms at each of the stations. I don't think this has ever made it into a detailed design, however.

For my money, two tracks with a good alignment, modern signalling, platform screen doors for minimizing delays at stations, and other modern design features will enable very high capacity, such that the next major investment should be somewhere else entirely. For example, a true metro going on a southwest-northeast alignment through the city.

#Metro

Can you imagine what would happen if not much happens with CRR and the LNP limp over the line at #qldvotes ?

Four more years of nothing, except perhaps a plan, vid and glossy, for the MaT (MagLev to WideBay and Train tunnel) ?

This state is potentially moribund for ever with the failed political classes out and about these days.

No, if Blue Team gets in we are going get Tim Nicholl's BUM project - Brisbane Underground Metro. It can go up there with BEEP and

CRAPP (Can't Really Articulate Policy Publicly).

:fo:  :hg
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

ozbob

ozbob

Media Statements

JOINT STATEMENT

Premier and Minister for the Arts
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

Deputy Premier, Minister for Transport and Minister for Infrastructure and Planning
The Honourable Jackie Trad

Treasurer and Minister for Trade and Investment
The Honourable Curtis Pitt

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Approval to start work on Cross River Rail

The Board of the Cross River Rail Delivery Authority has approved the demolition of the GoPrint site at Woolloongabba to make way for Queensland's number one infrastructure priority Cross River Rail.

In announcing the approval of early works, Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said it marked the start of the $5.4 billion city-shaping project.

"This morning the Cross River Rail Delivery Authority Board has given the green light to start the early works which will transform the GoPrint site, a former rail and tram depot, into the new Woolloongabba Station for Cross River Rail," the Premier said.

"The area will also be the primary staging site for the tunnel boring machines to dig the twin tunnels towards the city as well as south towards the new Boggo Road Station.

"People will soon see fences and signs at the site proudly proclaiming this is the start of Cross River Rail.

"I'm proud to be delivering this critical project for Queensland – the jobs start now."

Deputy Premier and Minister for Infrastructure Jackie Trad said the early site works of the government-owned GoPrint building is expected to start in September.

"We are building Cross River Rail," Ms Trad said.

"This is the start of the something big – Cross River Rail will transform South East Queensland, taking 18,500 car trips off our major arterial roads every day.

"It adds a second inner city river rail crossing and is the key to connecting road, rail and bus networks to create a fully integrated transport network.

"It will get Queenslanders home faster, create thousands of jobs and it is critical for the growth of our region."

Treasurer Curtis Pitt said the Palaszczuk Government has fully funded Cross River Rail with a total commitment of $5.4 billion. It will support more than 1,540 jobs each year and 3,000 at peak over the construction period.

"Cross River Rail will deliver a significant boost to the economy in the South East and throughout the state, boosting the economy by $70 billion," Mr Pitt said.

"This project will deliver strong economic benefits for Queenslanders providing value for money.

"We will no longer wait for the do-nothing Turnbull Government. We are getting on with building Cross River Rail."

The current short term tenants in the Government-owned buildings will be supported to find other accommodation.

Cross River Rail will allow the rail network to expand, offering faster travel times across South East Queensland:

There will be four new underground stations at Boggo Road, Woolloongabba, Albert Street and Roma Street and two upgraded stations at Dutton Park and the Exhibition Showgrounds.
    Commuters will save up to 15 minutes if travelling from southern stations such as Beenleigh
    Commuters will save up to eight minutes if travelling from northern stations such as Petrie
    Commuters will save up to six minutes if travelling from western stations such as Ipswich
    Commuters will save up to 14 minutes if travelling from eastern stations such as Cleveland

For more information and to view a flythrough of the project visit: www.crossriverrail.qld.gov.au

ozbob

Derwan

The Landcentre will form part of this site (launch for TBM), but hundreds of workers (including me) are sitting in the Landcentre right now.

The GoPrint building was always going to be demolished.  It's currently fenced off and not being used.  Might as well start demolishing it now.

Whether this means they'll start digging is another thing!
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

ozbob

Couriermail --> Demolition of Go Print at Woolloongabba to start this year for early work on Cross River Rail

QuoteDEMOLITION of the Woolloongabba Go Print site will start this year as part of early works to build Cross River Rail.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced the board of the Cross River Rail Delivery Authority had met this morning and approved the demolition following the Government's Budget commitment to fully-fund the $5.4 billion inner-city rail project.

"The area will also be the primary staging site for the tunnel boring machines to dig the twin tunnels towards the city as well as south towards the new Boggo Road Station," she said.

"People will soon see fences and signs at the site proudly proclaiming this is the start of Cross River Rail."

Deputy Premier Jackie Trad was questioned on Opposition Leader Tim Nicholl's claims the project would actually cost up to $14.5 billion, due to trains, drivers and station equipment costs.

She said it was normal for new projects to have operational and service costs, but would not put on figure on them.

Ms Trad said voters had a choice at the next election to vote for the jobs-creating and congestion-busting transport project, suggestion an elected LNP Government could cancel the project even of works had begun.

kram0

I fear this is more for the cameras rather than a genuine start, but let's hope we see genuine progress within the next 9 months.

What are the plans for the Landcentre building, Demolition?

Derwan

Quote from: kram0 on June 14, 2017, 12:34:05 PM
What is the plans for the Landcentre building, Demolition?

Yep.  But I'm still sitting in it at the moment - with no announcement for a mass-move.

While the demolition of the Goprint building has to happen before CRR constructions starts, it certainly isn't an indicator that CRR construction is actually starting.

My prediction is that they'll demolish the Goprint building and leave the land vacant, without any digging.
Website   |   Facebook   |  Twitter

SteelPan

Beyond the necessary 2nd rail corridor through the CBD......I can't really see what's so "great" about CRR??? Heck, they don't even stick a bus tunnel in to address those issues as well, Newman saw the obvious logic there, in the 21stC if you're going to build a tunnel.....build a TUNNEL!

I think art critics would call this a very "minimalist work", for the $$$ and time spent!
SEQ, where our only "fast-track" is in becoming the rail embarrassment of Australia!   :frs:

ozbob

Queensland Parliament Hansard

13th June 2017

https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2017/2017_06_13_DAILY.pdf

Questions without notice

Cross River Rail

Ms LINARD: My question is to the Deputy Premier. Will the Deputy Premier outline this
government's consistent position on Cross River Rail and explain how policy changes by previous
governments have impacted delivery of the project?

Ms TRAD: I thank the member for Nudgee for the question. I acknowledge her passion around
public transport. I was very pleased to join with the member for Nudgee last Wednesday as we went to
Nudgee station and talked to commuters, in particular about our Fairer Fares policy which they were all
enthusiastic about.

It has been this side of the parliament—the Labor Party—that has been absolutely enthusiastic
and 100 per cent committed to Cross River Rail. Those opposite have never had a consistent position
on Cross River Rail. In fact, I had my office do a bit of a count over the past little while on all their
positions on Cross River Rail and, in fact, they have had 10 positions on Cross River Rail. I do not think
they have had that many leaders of the LNP. Someone else can do that calculation. Maybe the member
for Broadwater can do that calculation.

Let me go through their positions.

When the previous premier and previous lord mayor of
Brisbane was in power in 2010 as lord mayor he was an enthusiastic supporter.

But then in 2011 when he became the candidate for Ashgrove he was not so enthusiastic about Cross River Rail.
He was rubbishing Cross River Rail.

Then at the time that he became the leader of the LNP he said, 'Let's get
rid of Cross River Rail and let's have a subway. I reckon I can do that for $3 million.', at the same time
as the member for Surfers Paradise, who was the leader at the time in this place, said he thought Cross
River Rail needed to go ahead.

The fourth position—when Campbell Newman came in here and was the leader of the LNP and
they were touting the Cleveland solution: 'Let us make the Ferny Grove line and the Cleveland line
completely separated, make them a light rail system.' Where did that go to? Nowhere!

The fifth position—they wanted to review Cross River Rail. A handpicked panel came back and said Cross River
Rail is a must.

The sixth position—this is my favourite position—they got a deal with the federal Labor
government. It was $715 million apiece. Then they walked away from that deal to get Tony Abbott
elected. Then we had nothing.

Then in 2013 they came into this place and said, 'Cross River Rail no
more! What we are going to do is the BaT Tunnel.'

The eighth position—after the election LNP insiders said, 'BaT Tunnel, that was really never going to go ahead.
We were going to trash it after the election.'

Ninth position—this is my favourite—on the weekend they came out and said, 'We want Cross River
Rail so that we can get our BEEP project up.' That is the Brisbane Education and Entertainment
Precinct. Now they are saying they do need Cross River Rail for this project. They have had more
positions on Cross River Rail than they have had leaders of the LNP. It is time for them to get on board.

SteelPan

:-r don't you love it, Premier Trad telling everyone "LNP insiders were going to trash the BAT after the election...." yes Jackie...of course they were.....straight after they got back from grabbing a muffin at the local 7-11, where they were served by Elvis.....having just bumped into Princess Di in dark glasses living a SECRET new life here in the WORLD CITY of Brissy..........yes Jackie......there...there......ssshhh it'll be alright........

:hg
SEQ, where our only "fast-track" is in becoming the rail embarrassment of Australia!   :frs:

Gazza

Quote from: SteelPan on June 14, 2017, 13:15:23 PM
Beyond the necessary 2nd rail corridor through the CBD......I can't really see what's so "great" about CRR??? Heck, they don't even stick a bus tunnel in to address those issues as well, Newman saw the obvious logic there, in the 21stC if you're going to build a tunnel.....build a TUNNEL!

I think art critics would call this a very "minimalist work", for the $$$ and time spent!

The bus tunnel is not really needed now that BCC is doing the Metro. And with bus reform, you eliminate a lot of the bus congestion for free.

I think CRR is great, its a good design that ticks the boxes and will serve Brisbane well.

SteelPan

SteelPan

Quote from: Gazza on June 14, 2017, 14:02:57 PM

The bus tunnel is not really needed now that BCC is doing the Metro. And with bus reform, you eliminate a lot of the bus congestion for free.

I think CRR is great, its a good design that ticks the boxes and will serve Brisbane well.

I'm not denying that CRR, in so far as it puts a 2nd rail corridor through the CBD is a great and much needed addition to Brisbane....it's just a pity that what happens before and after the through the city bit, is not a little more ambitious! ie, putting some below ground rail capacity into booming inner Brisbane regions with no serious capacity at present! The two [yes, all of 2] new [non CBD] stations proposed for the Gabba and Bogo Rd are welcome....but not exactly virgin territory for major transport initiatives.

What could the alternatives be.....I simply don't know in a heart beat......but they must be there.....I applaud any genuine progress at putting more rail in SEQ and congratulate govts on advancing in recent years Springfield, Redcliffe and upgrading key parts of the GC corridor.

I just hope we don't take the pressure off, CRR is only part of a much bigger picture.....the danger is, it's taken so long, the pollies will see it as the holy of holies and "mission accomplished"....frankly, it's far from it!

But onwards and upwards....let's all hope!   :-t

ozbob

Never been denied by the LNP.  BaT was a dead duck!

Onwards with CRR #3   :P

SteelPan

Quote from: ozbob on June 14, 2017, 16:02:04 PM

never heard anyone give real reasons why BAT [other than the silly name] was a bad project!

ozbob

Quote from: SteelPan on June 14, 2017, 17:31:21 PM

never heard anyone give real reasons why BAT [other than the silly name] was a bad project!

Go and have a read of the BaT discussion thread! > https://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9972.0

This thread is for Cross River Rail.

ozbob

Quote from: Gazza on June 14, 2017, 14:02:57 PM

Spot on Gazza!

SteelPan

Quote from: ozbob on June 14, 2017, 17:33:28 PM

Go and have a read of the BaT discussion thread! > https://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=9972.0

I never thought it was for anything else.....further, the link you give is to a thread [I've already seen], much like this thread...where the depth of comment seems to be:

LNP BAT Project "Bad"

ALP CRR "Good"

Again....other than the needed and agreed 2nd CBD rail corridor...for the billions proposed to be spent...what is it CRR is actually going to do?

I also note the Trad State Govt is a couple of months from publicly releasing the proposed CRR Business Case - that's 1) NOT "Shovel Ready" and 2) A skoool kid could join the dots this has as much solid ground to it as the claims about the LNP and BAT....this project will not see a single scoop of earth under the current administration!

ozbob

BaT is over SteelPan.

Brisbanetimes --> Brisbane deputy mayor says BaT Tunnel demise was good in the end

" The scrapping of the Liberal National Party-preferred Bus and Train Tunnel was a blessing for the people of Brisbane, the city's LNP deputy mayor Adrian Schrinner says. ... "

CRR is now the project.  Just reality. Time to move on from the past.

ozbob

Brisbanetimes --> Cross River Rail business case to be released within two months: Trad

QuoteQueensland's government says it will release the business case for Cross River Rail in coming months, after announcing it will fully fund the project.

The opposition has repeatedly called for the government to release the business case as it pushed for federal funding for a second river rail crossing for Brisbane.

Deputy Premier Jackie Trad on Wednesday announced in State Parliament a version of the business case would be released.

"I issued a ministerial direction to Building Queensland to prepare a public business case for release within two months, which will naturally exclude all of the commercial-in-confidence material," Ms Trad told the house.

The government announced in the budget on Tuesday it would fully fund the $5.4 billion project, allowing the development to move ahead despite Canberra's reluctance to help fund it.

That was followed quickly on Wednesday with the government confirming the former GoPrint site at Woolloongabba will be transformed into a Cross River Rail stop and an interchange with Brisbane City Council's Brisbane Metro.

Tuesday's state budget allocated an additional $1.95 billion towards the $5.4 billion project.

Ms Trad insisted the government was still chasing the federal government to contribute.

"It is time for Malcolm Turnbull to come to the party, but we're not waiting for him," she told reporters on Wednesday.

Opposition Leader Tim Nicholls claimed the actual cost of the project would be much more than $5.4 billion, and the government was being reckless by going it alone.

"The cost of Cross River Rail is going to be more like $14 billion," he said.

"It would be like building a hospital and not having the beds and the doctors."

But Ms Trad says outlining the capital investment has always been the standard way of costing projects, including when the Liberal National Party was in office.

Work is expected to start on the Woolloongabba station in September this year.

ozbob

verbatim9

Abc news reports that CRR is a sure thing if Labor remains in power. There are doubts over the continuation of the project and station localities if there is a change in government :( WTF!

"One thing for certain is that the Eyesore Go Print site will go"

dancingmongoose

Quote from: James on June 14, 2017, 01:06:35 AM
Quote from: aldonius on June 13, 2017, 20:16:01 PM
There are no Trouts Rd stubs in the plans.

I dearly hope they have at least considered how CRR will connect with Trouts Rd - if the tunnel surfaces before Normanby then they won't be needed, you'd think you'd at least look into a way to connect the two tunnels and save the trains climbing up to the surface, only to go back down again.

It has been considered but there are no stubs. I recall Gazza asking about it in our briefing the other month. I think from memory it was because of the cost

tazzer9

Quote from: verbatim9 on June 14, 2017, 19:14:06 PM
Abc news reports that CRR is a sure thing if Labor remains in power. There are doubts over the continuation of the project and station localities if there is a change in government :( WTF!

If labor remain in power.   Labor are likely to set a new record for how badly they lose the election.

#Metro

It's a contest between a party with bad policies and a party with no policies.  :hg
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

aldonius

Quote from: tazzer9 on June 14, 2017, 20:45:18 PM
Quote from: verbatim9 on June 14, 2017, 19:14:06 PM

If labor remain in power.   Labor are likely to set a new record for how badly they lose the election.

That's a pretty difficult proposition. A Labor loss is pretty easy from here, but I don't see them dropping down to ~7 seats again. Tim Nicholls is no 2012-era Campbell Newman, and there's federal drag also.

Gazza

Quote from: SteelPan on June 14, 2017, 18:07:04 PM
Quote from: ozbob on June 14, 2017, 17:33:28 PM

I never thought it was for anything else.....further, the link you give is to a thread [I've already seen], much like this thread...where the depth of comment seems to be:

LNP BAT Project "Bad"

ALP CRR "Good"

Again....other than the needed and agreed 2nd CBD rail corridor...for the billions proposed to be spent...what is it CRR is actually going to do?

I also note the Trad State Govt is a couple of months from publicly releasing the proposed CRR Business Case - that's 1) NOT "Shovel Ready" and 2) A skoool kid could join the dots this has as much solid ground to it as the claims about the LNP and BAT....this project will not see a single scoop of earth under the current administration!

Steelpan, BaT was bad for many reasons discussed.
-No interchange station at Park Rd
-Not able to be used by trains from the north initally, which also meant no Ekka station.
-Only 7 cars long, not 9, so not future proofed.
-Poor bus junction design at each end.

They watered down the long term effectiveness of the rail side of it (The whole reason the project was formed) in order to pay for the bus aspect.

Nowhere else straps a bus tunnel to the roof of a rail tunnel. Smart cities just have people ride the actual train rather than a bus going at lower speed above it  :-r

Why have you gone all negative on CRR all of a sudden?

ozbob

https://twitter.com/CrossRiverRail/status/875155454107635712

QuoteCross River Rail. It's happening.

With the State Government's announcement yesterday of a full project funding commitment, we are building Cross River Rail.

Hear from Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, Deputy Premier Jackie Trad and the Cross River Rail Delivery Authority about the project and its benefits to South East Queensland and the project's next steps, including procurement and the role of industry going forward. This project will shape our city and economy. It will define the way future generations live, work and play in South East Queensland. We hope you can join us as we take this next step on Queensland's number one infrastructure project.

Date and time: Friday 16 June 2017 12pm – 12:45pm (UTC+ 10:00, Brisbane time)

The Cross River Rail Project Update will be live streamed here on Friday 16 June at 12:00pm.

HappyTrainGuy

Quote from: Gazza on June 15, 2017, 09:44:22 AM

His rates have gone up to pay for Metro that he'll never use ;D

BrizCommuter

Quote from: HappyTrainGuy on June 15, 2017, 11:33:10 AM
Quote from: Gazza on June 15, 2017, 09:44:22 AM

His rates have gone up to pay for Metro that he'll never use ;D
SteelPan has mainly been trolling lately.

ozbob

🡱 🡳