• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Cross River Rail Project

Started by ozbob, March 22, 2009, 17:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbob

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

For interest, some current tweets from Brad the Traffic Guy, does the traffic reports on 612 ABC Radio and sometimes other stations ..

==================

Bradley H ‏@BradTrafficGuy 25m

C O N G E S T I O N .. Gateway Mwy NB from Boondall to Deagon . . . . .

==================

Bradley H Bradley H ‏@BradTrafficGuy 3m

C O N G E S T I O N .. Gateway Mwy SB (busy) thru Belmont and Mackenzie .

==================

Bradley H ‏@BradTrafficGuy 2m

C O N G E S T I O N .. Gympie Rd NB thru Kedron and Chermside . .

==================

Congestion is real, and there are degrees.  The problem theorists are up against is that the average person sees and experiences congestion, and intuitively will assume that better roads, more people using public transport will reduce the congestion.  True to a point.

If public transport does not run, congestion is worsened. If a road system is blocked, congestion worsens eg. yesterday with Story Bridge, so it is natural to extrapolate that if there are more of this or that it is the answer!

So Mr Abbott says, a new road is going to fix your congestion!  It is not of course, but that is the game ...

ozbob

From the Brisbanetimes click here!

'Crunch time' rapidly approaching for Brisbane rail

Quote'Crunch time' rapidly approaching for Brisbane rail
April 6, 2013 - 12:01AM Tony Moore

Analysis

Put politics aside.

It's hard, particularly since 2013 is a federal election year.

But all politicians and planners have known since 2005 - seven years ago - that Brisbane needs a second way for trains in the inner-city to get across the Brisbane River by 2016.

Today Brisbane has one inner-city rail crossing. That is the Merivale Bridge behind the Gallery of Modern Art and beside the William Jolly Bridge.

Put very simply, by 2016 the large number of passenger trains already using that bridge are going to start getting in the path of freight trains trying to get in and out of Brisbane's port.

As Transport Minister Scott Emerson says, "crunch time is coming".

"The reality is that the 2008 Inner City Rail Capacity Report indicated that there was real problems ahead if we did not improve the crossing of the Brisbane River for rail," he said.

"The Merivale Bridge will reach a crunch point some time after 2016 and that is why we needed this Cross River Rail Project."

That is three years from now. However, even if work on a solution, the Cross River Rail project, started tomorrow, it would not be finished until 2020.

Rail lobbyist Robert Dow said there was some ability to push back the 2016 crunch time deadline by running the trains closer together, but he is not sure how significant the impact would be.

"I suppose they can improve capacity - to some degree by improved signalling systems - but whether they are prepared to do that or not is debateable," Mr Dow said.

"Because that too is rather expensive to upgrade the present signalling system."

In 2008 a report – which has never been contradicted and bears the unsexy title of the Inner City Rail Capacity Study – pointed out the hard facts.

"Capacity constraints on this part of the network mean that one new two-track corridor will be required by 2016 and another two-track corridor by 2026, "it said.

"This includes one corridor (or two additional tracks) from the south by 2016, and another corridor (or two additional tracks) from the west by 2026."

In Opposition Scott Emerson highlighted this fact.

Now a member of the Queensland government, Mr Emerson is "disappointed" at his federal leader Tony Abbott's comment yesterday that the Coalition would not fund commuter rail projects if it won office.

"I am disappointed to hear Mr Abbott's comments," he said.

He insists it will not be an election "turning point" for voters in September.

"The reality is that we have a $4.45 billion project out there and neither federal Labor, nor the federal Coalition have put any money into this to make it viable," Mr Emerson said.

But where does that leave Brisbane's commuters and businesses who depend on freight?

Mr Emerson said the LNP supports the project at state government level.

"The LNP after it won office re-scoped the project, allowing it to be built for around $4.5 billion, rather the $8.3 billion put forward by the previous Labor government," he said.

"We thought that was a realistic outcome and we have been talking to federal Labor and the federal Coalition about backing this project."

Mr Emerson agreed many people were not aware of the problems, or of the project.

"But I think anybody that is engaged, understands what the problem is," he said.

"There is a crunch-point coming in public transport in Queensland in trying to get across the Brisbane River, with that single crossing at the Merivale Bridge.

"We will reach that crunch point in 2016, that is why we need this project."

One small glimmer of hope could be Cross River Rail's ability to improve rail freight.

While the Coalition said it would not support urban rail projects, it will "support" national freight rail projects.

A spokesman for Mr Abbott distinguished between commuter rail and freight rail projects in a written statement on Thursday night.

"The Coalition will continue to support the interstate rail freight network," the statement reads.

"Commuter rail projects are the responsibility of the states and territories."

The December 2012 co-ordinator general's report into Brisbane's $4.5 billion proposed 12 kilometre underground Cross River Rail Project showed it has both "commuter" and "freight" rail advantages because Brisbane does not have a dedicated freight rail network.

One freight advantage mentioned in the December 2012 EIS report is a reduction in coal trains running to the port during the night because "more freight and coal trains" could be "scheduled during the day".

"The project proposes to address these existing capacity constraints, improve service reliability and travel times for commuters, provide opportunities for commercial development in and around new stations and increase the capacity for rail freight travelling to the Port of Brisbane," the report said.

Mr Emerson acknowledged Cross River Rail had a small rail freight component.

"There are some elements to boost the freight part of it," he said.

"But primarily it is about boosting passenger numbers."

ozbob

From the Couriermail click here!

Queensland rails against Tony Abbott's tunnel vision

Queensland rails against Tony Abbott's tunnel vision

by: Robyn Ironside
    April 06, 2013 12:00AM

TONY Abbott's surprise opposition to funding rail projects such as Cross River Rail has put him at loggerheads with the Newman Government and his own MP, Teresa Gambaro.

The Opposition Leader refused to back down from his stance on Thursday, when he revealed a Coalition government would expect the states and territories to fund public transport projects out of their own pockets.

Queensland Transport Minister Scott Emerson said the remarks were "disappointing" but he would continue to lobby the Coalition and federal Labor to fund Cross River Rail, at a cost of $4 billion-plus.

"I believe this project is important but it cannot proceed without significant federal funding and at this stage we've had no commitment from either Labor or the Coalition on Cross River Rail," Mr Emerson said.

He said the state could not afford to fund the project alone.

Mr Abbott's office refused to explain why he believed the Commonwealth had no history of funding urban rail projects after his promise in 2010 to contribute nearly $750 million towards the Moreton Bay Rail Link.

The train line from Petrie to Kippa-Ring is now in the early stages of construction and Mr Emerson said the $742 million contribution from federal Labor could not be withdrawn.

"I'm not concerned about Moreton Bay Rail, that's well and truly under way," he said.

Ms Gambaro, who represents the inner city electorate of Brisbane, said Cross River Rail was "a very important part of the Brisbane public transport system" and she would continue to lobby her leader for funding.

"I think what needs to be done is a more independent and reformed Infrastructure Australia, and the Federal Government, whether it is a Coalition government (or not), needs to consider all urban rail projects that are submitted for funding," Ms Gambaro said.

"I'll continue to lobby for Cross River Rail because it would be a major boost for the economy."

Her views were not shared by the LNP's candidate for Moreton, Malcolm Cole, who firmly backed Mr Abbott.

"We simply are in a position that we can't fund everything we'd like to fund," Mr Cole said.

"We've said we're not going to get into an auction at the election and I think that's a responsible position, and it's one that I'm very comfortable taking to the voters."

Fellow LNP candidate Rod McGarvie, who is taking on Treasurer Wayne Swan in the seat of Lilley, said Cross River Rail was not a priority for the electorate.

"The key thing I'm concerned about is infrastructure around Lilley to boost productivity, boost traffic flows and stop the frustration," Mr McGarvie said.

Federal Transport Minister Anthony Albanese would not say if he would be able to find funding for Cross River Rail but said the Government had already spent $20 million on the project.

"It's clear that existing urban rail projects would be under threat if the Coalition was elected," Mr Albanese said yesterday.

ozbob

LOL  some of the candidates haven't a clue really ...

SEQ is well advanced into terminal transport failure ... 

A functioning economy needs a functioning transport system, at all levels.  I disagree with Mr Emerson, this is a significant issue (CRR and urban public transport funding generally) for the forthcoming federal election and one only has to look at the feedback yesterday on the Brisbanetimes blog, confirmed.

ozbob

Been lined up for an interview 4BC possibly around 9.15am or after 10am today on CRR and looming capacity constraints ...

#Metro

Auckland has it's stuff sorted
- Auckland CRR, which will unlock network capacity for trains every 5 minutes all day, both directions
- Auckland Hi Frequency Bus network plan
- Has ferries and busway like Brisbane
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

Quote from: ozbob on April 06, 2013, 09:10:19 AM
Been lined up for an interview 4BC possibly around 9.15am or after 10am today on CRR and looming capacity constraints ...

Been deferred till tomorrow morning.  OB at opening of Town Hall has changed the schedule ...

somebody

Devils advocate:
Fare hikes have reduced growth below the forecasts in the ICRCS deferring the need for CRR.

ozbob

Quote from: Simon on April 06, 2013, 11:51:51 AM
Devils advocate:
Fare hikes have reduced growth below the forecasts in the ICRCS deferring the need for CRR.

No, recent reviews have confirmed the need as has IA.  If anything there is pent up demand that will explode soon.  It will be interesting see how the line handles the 2018 Games ...

I expect to see some attempt at boosting out of core peak travel, not much will be done for peak I expect.

#Metro

The logic is simple:

1. High fares will mean that people will cut travel to what is ABSOLUTELY essential. That is, to go to and from work ONLY.
2. Off-peak travel will drop, meaning more bus and trains carrying air, more inefficiency, higher fares.
3. Peak rail and bus load will increase despite higher costs, spillover from rail to bus - catastrophe on bus network which is already congested
4. Spillover on roads too with congestion as well

Perfect storm!! High fares, High Subsidy, Peak demand only, Bus network collapse.
Time to leave queensland!!

Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on April 06, 2013, 11:55:46 AM
Quote from: Simon on April 06, 2013, 11:51:51 AM
Devils advocate:

No, recent reviews have confirmed the need as has IA.  If anything there is pent up demand that will explode soon.  It will be interesting see how the line handles the 2018 Games ...

I expect to see some attempt at boosting out of core peak travel, not much will be done for peak I expect.
The ICRCS pre feasibility report forecast AM 2 hour peak loads of 71746 in 2016, increasing from 44741 in 2006.  Compound annual growth rate: 4.8%
3 hour AM peak loads increased from 54572 in 2006 to 66383 in 2012.  Compound annual growth rate: 3.3%

No?

The lower growth rate (if continued) means is that we'll get there in 2020-2021 rather than 2016.

EDIT: Correct forecast growth

aldonius

Given the delivery timeframe, that still means we need to start now.

somebody

Quote from: aldonius on April 06, 2013, 13:25:14 PM
Given the delivery timeframe, that still means we need to start now.
Completely agree.  Although I suspect dodgy arrangements at South Brisbane might exist for a while.

ozbob

I was using no in the sense I think it needs to start now, not deferred.

Growth has slowed clearly, but I don't expect that to continue, road  and population pressures will see that changing.

But as it is it does seem a start, if ever is still a long way off.

So what are interim strategies?  Just plod on to oblivion?

ozbob

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name/C/Cross-River-Rail/Early-Capacity-Works.aspx

This is the apparent official line ....

Early Capacity Works

The Early Capacity Works will deliver a comprehensive suite of leading-edge initiatives targeted at getting more capacity out of inner Brisbane's rail system until the core Cross River Rail project is delivered. These works are part of the Brisbane Inner Rail Solution.

These initiatives will increase capacity during the peak periods for all south east Queensland rail services by:

Enabling peak spreading (providing passengers with more services during the shoulder peak periods)
    Minimising dwell times (the time the train is stopped at a station)
    Optimising internal train capacity (more people per train)
    Increasing network capacity (allowing more trains to run more safely and reliably on the existing network)
    Increasing train services (up to the limit of the existing infrastructure).

A whole-of-Government Steering Committee has been established to lead the delivery of the Early Capacity Works.

The Committee is being led by the Coordinator-General, and includes representatives from Transport and Main Roads, Queensland Rail and other agencies.

Last updated
    11 March 2013

ozbob

#Metro

Have any of the early works even been done? Doubt it. I haven't seen anything.

So what are interim strategies?  Just plod on to oblivion?

Well, we have The Fairfield Solution. Failure to do CRR will see some spillover to SEB bus, which will be a catastrophe as well.
Solution may be to terminate all Gold Coast trains at South Brisbane/Park Road and then bus over.... like they did in the 1970s before the bridge was built.

somebody

They've made some moves on peak spreading - adding additional Gold Coast trains is a particular example.

ozbob

Queensland Rail have focussed attention on reducing dwell times.  There has been some private comments made that some staff don't like having to shut the doors on passengers in the sense a passenger is seen coming down a ramp or something.  Once upon a time the train would have been probably held.  I have noticed on Metro Melbourne that the dwell times seem to be quicker and more final. Once the doors start closing that's it.  Passengers are better trained in these aspects in Melbourne too I think.

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on April 06, 2013, 15:13:46 PM
Queensland Rail have focussed attention on reducing dwell times.  There has been some private comments made that some staff don't like having to shut the doors on passengers in the sense a passenger is seen coming down a ramp or something.  Once upon a time the train would have been probably held.  I have noticed on Metro Melbourne that the dwell times seem to be quicker and more final. Once the doors start closing that's it.  Passengers are better trained in these aspects in Melbourne too I think.
This is part of the reason I don't like guards.

ozbob

So left with ..

Optimising internal train capacity (more people per train)
Increasing network capacity (allowing more trains to run more safely and reliably on the existing network)
Increasing train services (up to the limit of the existing infrastructure).

Few seats removed from a few EMUs but that is nothing really ...

So down to the real major things.  Signalling/ATP?

Not enough trains now so not sure if they can do much more at peak ..

Apart from the infrastructure such as CRR, signalling and ATP is needed as well as New Generation Rolling stock ...

:ttp:

ozbob

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name/C/Cross-River-Rail/Brisbane-Inner-Rail-Solution.aspx

Brisbane Inner Rail Solution

The Brisbane Inner Rail Solution is a major program of works and initiatives project to address inner city capacity constraints in the existing rail system.

The program will increase capacity on the inner Brisbane rail network and unlock capacity across southeast Queensland.

The Brisbane Inner Rail Solution includes:

delivery of the Early Capacity Works program – a package of value-for-money, short to medium term solutions
    delivery of the core Cross River Rail project between Yeerongpilly and Victoria Park.

Transport and Main Roads is coordinating the planning and delivery of the Brisbane Inner Rail Solution in partnership with Queensland Rail.

The Brisbane Inner Rail Solution relies significantly on Australian Government funding.

The Queensland Government has submitted the Brisbane Inner Rail Solution (both Early Capacity Works and the core Cross River Rail project), as part its 2012 submission to Infrastructure Australia.

Last updated
    15 March 2013

=================

It is an endless loop!   :bna: :bna: :clp:

mufreight

To enhance the existing capacity Airport services from the coast could be routed via Tennyson and Sherwood during the peaks possibly stopping at Indoorpilly.
There are those who would complain about the additional five to seven minutes that would add to their express running times but the effect of the bunched up operation accross the South Brisbane to Bowen Hills choke point would slow services by a similar amount of time anyway and passengers using those services for South Brisbane and South Bank could change trains at Roma Street and backtrack.
The probability is that with additional services routed over the Merivale Street bridge those stops would be remover from the gold coast trains timetables anyway.

SurfRail

Quote from: mufreight on April 06, 2013, 17:55:57 PM
To enhance the existing capacity Airport services from the coast could be routed via Tennyson and Sherwood during the peaks possibly stopping at Indoorpilly.
There are those who would complain about the additional five to seven minutes that would add to their express running times but the effect of the bunched up operation accross the South Brisbane to Bowen Hills choke point would slow services by a similar amount of time anyway and passengers using those services for South Brisbane and South Bank could change trains at Roma Street and backtrack.
The probability is that with additional services routed over the Merivale Street bridge those stops would be remover from the gold coast trains timetables anyway.

No thanks.  The DG track is better engineered and faster than the Beenleigh inbound track.  All this is going to do is introduce even more complexity into a system already full of facing moves that is already showing every sign of buckling.  And it makes the system more challenging to navigate.

I would prefer trains to terminate at South Brisbane before this idea gets raised again.  From South Brisbane you can walk to the CBD or catch a bus, much the same way you would have caught a tram before 1969.
Ride the G:

Golliwog

Hey, according to the canned bus review, there's plenty of spare capacity on the buses that run through the Cultural Center now...  :hg
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#Metro

Back to 1969! How embarrassing!

ozbob

Media release 7th April 2013

SEQ: Can Transit Oriented Development part fund CRR?

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers is very concerned that the failure to drive Cross River Rail funding will lead to a transport catastrophe for South-East Queensland.

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"Mr Tony Abbott has said he will cut funding for Cross River Rail, and other proposed urban rail projects around the nation should he lead a Federal Government."

"Liberal Theresa Gambaro holds a marginal seat full of swinging voters by only about 1%. Her federal electorate contains the core of the rail network - Roma Street, Central and Bowen Hills and the entire Brisbane CBD where Cross River Rail will be built. Her electorate will be the worst affected by the Abbott Rail Cuts."

"The question is now, can Cross River Rail be progressed by part funding by Transit Oriented Development and private investment?"

"Intensive transit oriented development around and above railway and busway stations, such as happens in Toronto, Ontario, Canada should be looked at by a commission comprising of BCC, Railway operators, TMR, TransLink, Queensland Government and the development industry."

"There are 85 train stations within the BCC boundaries. That is more train stations than the entire Toronto TTC Subway system, which is known worldwide to have large condominium towers above and around its railway stations. There are also over 20 busway stations which could be scoped for development. Development along BUZ routes should also be looked at."

"Back-of-envelope estimates suggest around fifty to one hundred 30 story developments in inner Brisbane like FKP's 'The Milton' would be needed to raise a quarter to half the funds for Cross River Rail. In Victoria, VicTrack, a state government agency has done a number of developments around rail which have sold at premium prices very quickly."

"We have to think of alternative funding solutions. Given the size and cost of the project, the bulk of the funding will still have to come from government. Fare increases are also not an option as these are already among the highest on Earth already."

"Short term strategies to manage the looming capacity crisis,  as outlined in the Early Capacity Works are looking increasingly desperate. Cross River Rail must be progressed."

"Failure is not an option!"

References:

1. Barnett should look to private sector to fund rail
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/barnett-should-look-to-private-sector-to-fund-rail-20130405-2hbdd.html

2. VicTrack ICON development
http://www.victrack.com.au/statewide-projects/category/integrating-transport-and-land-use-planning/glen-waverley-station-development

3. Sheppard subway gets moving
http://life.nationalpost.com/2012/11/09/sheppard-subway-gets-moving/

4. Spadina Subway Extension Starts to Pay Off in Vaughan
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2012/11/spadina-subway-extension-starts-pay-vaughan

5. Early Capacity Works
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name/C/Cross-River-Rail/Early-Capacity-Works.aspx

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

ozbob

Thanks for the interview opportunity this morning Chris Adams and 4BC ...

Good wide ranging interview.

:-c

ozbob

Quote from: SurfRail on April 06, 2013, 21:05:19 PM

No thanks.  The DG track is better engineered and faster than the Beenleigh inbound track.  All this is going to do is introduce even more complexity into a system already full of facing moves that is already showing every sign of buckling.  And it makes the system more challenging to navigate.

I would prefer trains to terminate at South Brisbane before this idea gets raised again.  From South Brisbane you can walk to the CBD or catch a bus, much the same way you would have caught a tram before 1969.

It is ok for rail passengers to transfer and/or walk (great benefits by the way .. )  but the bus mob, no way!!   LOL  They prefer to sit on buses for hours in congestion, ask Quirk  ...  :clp:

mufreight

Terminating trains and turning them back at South Brisbane is definately not an option from an operational point of view and would require additional infrastructure that does not presently exist as for conflicting moves the crossover from the Tennyson line at Sherwood has a potential conflict but only with outbound service running contra peak and the conflict in getting from the mains at Eagle Junction accross to the Airport line poses no great problems and there have been times recently when services have been operated via Tennyson anyway due to failures between Yeerongpilly and Roma Street so it obviously can be done.

SurfRail

I was mainly thinking about Sherwood.

It is certainly doable, no argument from me there.  I just don't think it is either necessary or desirable for anything other than emergencies.

The preferable outcome would just be to run all stops from Yeerongpilly to the City. 

Either option is an admission of failure, but we're used to that by now surely...
Ride the G:

#Metro

It is ok for rail passengers to transfer and/or walk (great benefits by the way .. )  but the bus mob, no way!!   LOL  They prefer to sit on buses for hours in congestion, ask Quirk  ...

Brisbane Transport will run direct rocket buses all the way to the Gold Coast (direct as well, no transfer!!) via the M1 motorway.  :fo:

South Brisbane Termination could be effected by perhaps inserting another track at South Brisbane to allow trains to terminate there. Faster IMHO, buses every few seconds at Cultural Centre.

Alternatively there is platform 4 at Park Road termination, fix up that platform, terminate, hop on a bus!

Arnz

It is ok for rail passengers to transfer and/or walk (great benefits by the way .. )  but the bus mob, no way!!   LOL  They prefer to sit on buses for hours in congestion, ask Quirk  ...

Brisbane Transport will run direct rocket buses all the way to the Gold Coast (direct as well, no transfer!!) via the M1 motorway.  :fo:

Then watch Quirk and associates complain about having to "subsidise" the pesky outsiders!!  :steam:
Rgds,
Arnz

Unless stated otherwise, Opinions stated in my posts are those of my own view only.

somebody

I agree with this.  Although I don't understand the point about the Beenleigh line inbound track.  Who cares?  Perhaps it's to head off the point about serving stops Yeerongpilly in.  I personally think that is by far the best option.  Really, if any trains need to terminate at South Brisbane it should absolutely be the less busy Gold Coast trains which means passing the platform face at Yeerongpilly on current infrastructure.

Quote from: mufreight on April 07, 2013, 09:39:54 AM
Terminating trains and turning them back at South Brisbane is definately not an option from an operational point of view and would require additional infrastructure that does not presently exist
Major limitation is South Brisbane platform 2 must be unoccupied for a train to run inbound from the Cleveland line.  I'm not convinced that this is a show stopper - expresses on the Cleveland line could group the trains together.  Although it isn't exactly desirable.

Quote from: mufreight on April 07, 2013, 09:39:54 AM
as for conflicting moves the crossover from the Tennyson line at Sherwood has a potential conflict but only with outbound service running contra peak and the conflict in getting from the mains at Eagle Junction accross to the Airport line poses no great problems and there have been times recently when services have been operated via Tennyson anyway due to failures between Yeerongpilly and Roma Street so it obviously can be done.
Assuming that you aren't going to sit behind an all stopper on the Ipswich line, crossing over to the mains, it then conflicts with the all stopping trains as well as the counter peak trains and also needs to slot into the express trains from Ipswich which are running at 6 minute intervals.  It is obviously highly undesirable.

Quote from: SurfRail on April 07, 2013, 10:02:27 AM
I was mainly thinking about Sherwood.

It is certainly doable, no argument from me there.  I just don't think it is either necessary or desirable for anything other than emergencies.

The preferable outcome would just be to run all stops from Yeerongpilly to the City. 

Either option is an admission of failure, but we're used to that by now surely...
Absolutely.  It also allows a frequency increase for the Gold Coast (decrease for Beenleigh) and better meeting of the service standard benchmarks.

Quote from: Lapdog on April 07, 2013, 10:09:15 AM
Alternatively there is platform 4 at Park Road termination, fix up that platform, terminate, hop on a bus!
Nasty - the bus options are pretty awful at Park Rd for going to the CBD.  There aren't tracks allowing easy reversal there either.

BrizCommuter

Quote from: Lapdog on April 07, 2013, 10:09:15 AM

South Brisbane Termination could be effected by perhaps inserting another track at South Brisbane to allow trains to terminate there. Faster IMHO, buses every few seconds at Cultural Centre.

But, transferring to bus to access the CBD will result in a game of CBD drop off location roulette. It's a mess.

Going by UK suburban rail terminus track occupation standards, reversing in South Brisbane platform 2 could turn an extra 4tph (ish). This would require track layout modifications at South Brisbane.

The same total capacity (reliable 24tph) could be achieved by improving the signalling through the core section (Park Rd to Bowen Hills), allowing all trains to run through the CBD.

It also needs to be remembered that there are other pinch points such as Park Rd junction, and lack of overtaking tracks (notably for counter-peak) on the Beenleigh/Gold Coast Line.

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on April 07, 2013, 10:18:13 AMI agree with this.  Although I don't understand the point about the Beenleigh line inbound track.  Who cares?

Starting from say the rail welding facility at Yeerongpilly to the city, and assuming a completely clear run to South Bank, then the train on the DG track will get there first every time.

Irrelevant when the timetable has to accommodate both outcomes, which is why trains sometimes dwell at South Bank for 4-5 minutes on platform 3 before they can head further in after having a good run up to to this point.

All comes back to fat in the timetable as well.
Ride the G:

ozbob

Hey Briz, the bus location roulette is easily solved ...  :P

Men and women arriving and departing from the Melbourne Street Railway Station, South Brisbane. A tram with passengers is in front of the station.

Most passengers elected to walk to the CBD,  such a strain these days ....   :wlk

ozbob

Seriously, the best I think we are going to get is signalling upgrades in an attempt to push through a few more trains through in the peak.

How successful is ripping out seats really going to be??

I guess though it will probably be half baked and not be proper ATP ... in typical Queensland fashion.

Dare we suggest that something needs to be done about new trains?  ...   :bo

🡱 🡳