• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Cross River Rail Project

Started by ozbob, March 22, 2009, 17:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinw

What this discussion clearly shows is that half baking the Mayne/Albion end of CRR will cause some typical QLD type issues with infrastructure being used sub-optimally.

I tend to agree with Mufreight about turn-backs in the city being undesirable unless absolutely necessary. A few on Platform 3 wouldn't be the end of the world, and probably a useful way to built Airtrain up to 4TPH, but beyond that we should be sticking to through running as much as possible.

HappyTrainGuy

Not sure about the specifics about the Airport train contract. There might be something but the majority of the contract relates to Airport-Roma Street (I'm sure there would be a mention of the line it joins on to and a clause incase of infrastructure constraints/upgrades).

Platforms 3 and 6 are the perferred ideal turnback platforms however platforms 2/3/6/7/10 are all used/capable depending on the situation. Platforms 3 and 10 can allow multiple services to run into it but there are tight restrictions about how that's performed (usually during major disruptions or if a particular service is delayed/has a fault).

Gazza

Rtt, GC trains should  use the tunnel. They take too long to make the trip as it is so the time saving it offers is important for long distance pax.
Heck, with a 10 minute time saving that starts making them competitive (distance versus speed) with Mandurah trains!

Golliwog

Just an idea, but as the Airport Line is currently privately owned, they would be concerned about losing pax if their trains no longer connect to the GC line? I'm still not really sure if that would occur as transfering at Central/Roma St isn't hard, but if it were, then wouldn't it be up to them to find/fund a solution?

Personally, I don't think it matters much at all, but in terms of space there would be plenty of room at Toombul (it's mostly a park next to the existing junction) for them to make the Airport line a grade seperated connection to the Mains rather than the subs if Airtrain wanted to pay for it. That said, I don't think there's any real need to do this, or much of a benefit (though a grade sep. junction could be useful in peak) and wouldn't support it if they wanted government funding for it.

There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

STB

Isn't part of the Airtrain's business model based on getting patronage from the Gold Coast and Brisbane, in particular with them offering limo direct to hotel services on the Gold Coast?

#Metro

Airtrain contracts services for it's spur. Not on the spur? Shouldn't have a say...
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

ozbob

From Couriermail Quest click here!

Praise for Cross River Rail II but will Brisbane get funding for budget solution?

QuotePraise for Cross River Rail II but will Brisbane get funding for budget solution?

by: Sherine Conyers
    June 22, 2012 12:00AM

A NEW version of Cross River Rail (CRR) has received early praise from commuter advocates, but the Federal government has warned any change of plans could send the project back to the drawing board.

It comes on the back of warnings from a transport expert who says Brisbane must have transport investment before it hits gridlock when the rail network reaches capacity in 2016.

On Wednesday, State Minister for Transport Scott Emerson announced CRR version II would provide two running tunnels from the southern to the northern portal and four new underground stations at Woolloongabba, Boggo Road, Albert Street and Roma Street.

The plan would double the current rail capacity to the south and at $4.445 billion, would cost almost half of the original Labor plan but it would not be delivered until 2020.

Mr Emerson said a panel concluded the original CRR was "beyond the scope required to address the immediate rail capacity problem".

"The same result could be achieved by delivering the core of the original proposal, involving two tunnels between Yeerongpilly and Victoria Park,'' he said.

But up to 80 per cent of the funding would still need to come from the Federal Government.

Dr Matthew Burke, a senior transport researcher at the Urban Research Program at Griffith University said a significant investment in transport infrastructure investment was crucial for Brisbane to survive and thrive.

"I look at even Australian examples like Melbourne and the city loop which was a very, very expensive initiative, but it was designed and thought of as a 50-year investment.

"We're at a point where we almost can't sneak more cars through that grid.

"If the CBD is going to grow, more towers, more activities, more offices, more jobs, we are going to need to get people in by high occupancy modes.

"Once you aren't able to increase capacity through those key peak hour slots you're in a position where overcrowding, they become incrementally worse over time and the CBD will become a less attractive place to invest and do business.

Dr Burke warned the city could not delay investment much longer, but conceded the state's fiscal position was a problem.

"I think 2016 is coming one way or another. We're likely to be in a situation where we can't do much on key lines of the rail network to increase capacity for quite a few years.

"There are things we can do to try and eek more capacity out of the network, I think that's where attention is going to be provided,'' he said.

Spokesman for commuter advocate group Rail Back on Track Robert Dow said although it was still short of detail, CRR II appeared to be a sensible outcome.

"Many of the things suggested by the expert review committee, our members have put forward too.

"It will help relieve pressure on the bus network and provide more redundancy for the rail network,'' he said.

But a spokesperson for Federal Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese said the Government would use Infrastructure Australia's (IA) National Priority List (NPL) to guide its funding decisions.

He said even if CRR made the list there was no guarantee of funding.

"Urban public transport is a state responsibility.

"The democratically elected one-party state that is now Queensland - It's up to them. If they want to change their submissions or completely rescope this project I'm just saying the whole process will need to start again.''

The NPL is due for release before the end of the month.

Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

ozbob

From http://www.scottemerson.com.au/media-releases/panel-delivers-rail-capacity-options.html

Quote... and continue to engage Federal Minister Anthony Albanese and Infrastructure Australia ...

IA has been kept in the loop wrt CRR2.  The project is being staged, it really doesn't alter it in the overall sense from the funding perspective.

As Dr Burke has pointed out, 

Quote... Dr Matthew Burke, a senior transport researcher at the Urban Research Program at Griffith University said a significant investment in transport infrastructure investment was crucial for Brisbane to survive and thrive ...

future is not too bright ...  we have been warning for years of the looming transport failure ...  a functioning economy needs a functioning transport system ...

ozbob

Editorial Couriermail 22nd June 2012 page 40

Population rise puts stress on infrastructure

Fares_Fair

Quote from: ozbob on June 22, 2012, 02:14:36 AM

Praise for Cross River Rail II but will Brisbane get funding for budget solution?

QuotePraise for Cross River Rail II but will Brisbane get funding for budget solution?

by: Sherine Conyers
    June 22, 2012 12:00AM

A NEW version of Cross River Rail (CRR) has received early praise from commuter advocates, but the Federal government has warned any change of plans could send the project back to the drawing board.

It comes on the back of warnings from a transport expert who says Brisbane must have transport investment before it hits gridlock when the rail network reaches capacity in 2016.

On Wednesday, State Minister for Transport Scott Emerson announced CRR version II would provide two running tunnels from the southern to the northern portal and four new underground stations at Woolloongabba, Boggo Road, Albert Street and Roma Street.

The plan would double the current rail capacity to the south and at $4.445 billion, would cost almost half of the original Labor plan but it would not be delivered until 2020.

Mr Emerson said a panel concluded the original CRR was "beyond the scope required to address the immediate rail capacity problem".

"The same result could be achieved by delivering the core of the original proposal, involving two tunnels between Yeerongpilly and Victoria Park,'' he said.

But up to 80 per cent of the funding would still need to come from the Federal Government.

Dr Matthew Burke, a senior transport researcher at the Urban Research Program at Griffith University said a significant investment in transport infrastructure investment was crucial for Brisbane to survive and thrive.

"I look at even Australian examples like Melbourne and the city loop which was a very, very expensive initiative, but it was designed and thought of as a 50-year investment.

"We're at a point where we almost can't sneak more cars through that grid.

"If the CBD is going to grow, more towers, more activities, more offices, more jobs, we are going to need to get people in by high occupancy modes.

"Once you aren't able to increase capacity through those key peak hour slots you're in a position where overcrowding, they become incrementally worse over time and the CBD will become a less attractive place to invest and do business.

Dr Burke warned the city could not delay investment much longer, but conceded the state's fiscal position was a problem.

"I think 2016 is coming one way or another. We're likely to be in a situation where we can't do much on key lines of the rail network to increase capacity for quite a few years.

"There are things we can do to try and eek more capacity out of the network, I think that's where attention is going to be provided,'' he said.

Spokesman for commuter advocate group Rail Back on Track Robert Dow said although it was still short of detail, CRR II appeared to be a sensible outcome.

"Many of the things suggested by the expert review committee, our members have put forward too.

"It will help relieve pressure on the bus network and provide more redundancy for the rail network,'' he said.

But a spokesperson for Federal Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese said the Government would use Infrastructure Australia's (IA) National Priority List (NPL) to guide its funding decisions.

He said even if CRR made the list there was no guarantee of funding.

"Urban public transport is a state responsibility.

"The democratically elected one-party state that is now Queensland - It's up to them. If they want to change their submissions or completely rescope this project I'm just saying the whole process will need to start again.''

The NPL is due for release before the end of the month.

There's an online poll with this story ..
Regards,
Fares_Fair

somebody

Quote from: STB on June 21, 2012, 21:34:47 PM
Isn't part of the Airtrain's business model based on getting patronage from the Gold Coast and Brisbane, in particular with them offering limo direct to hotel services on the Gold Coast?
Yes.  I can't imagine they would be too happy about the through running being removed.

Quote from: tramtrain on June 21, 2012, 22:43:01 PM
Airtrain contracts services for it's spur. Not on the spur? Shouldn't have a say...
It isn't relevant what the contract SHOULD say, but what it DOES say.

Quote from: rtt_rules on June 21, 2012, 19:26:20 PM
With the tunnel, there would be a strong driver to run a Corinda connection via the tunnel.
What are you thinking of here?  After game services at the Gabba?  Otherwise I don't see it.  If you are travelling City-Corinda the existing line via Indooroopilly is fine, no need go via Tennyson.

Quote from: rtt_rules on June 21, 2012, 19:26:20 PM
Just because there is a tunnel, doesn't mean we have to fill it to its 20t/hr capacity from day one either and by the looks of CRR lite, we cannot.
No, but I did not say that.  There's only 8-9tph BL/KBY + 4tph GC trains now, and we are removing 3-4 stations from the line with CRRlite.  There will be enough capacity for a 66% increase in patronage without any need to utilise the Merivale Bridge.  Suburbans Roma St-Bowen Hills should be left for growth on the Ipswich/Springfield lines in spite of the conflicting move at Roma St west.

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on June 22, 2012, 10:14:44 AM
Yes.  I can't imagine they would be too happy about the through running being removed.

Ultimately I cannot see this as a huge problem.  Nobody (or next to nobody) is going to swap a less than $20.00 rail journey with a single transfer in the city, for a $200 cab ride down the Gateway, just to avoid transferring.
Ride the G:

somebody

Get 4 people travelling together and it is still $120.  ($29.27 Surfers-Airport peak)  It's only around another $20 each to get the cab.  There are also other options like having a friend drive you.

Given that both services operate every half an hour I think you might be underestimating this point.

HappyTrainGuy

People still bus Surfers-Roma Street. About the same as the train fare, faster than the train, then board the airtrain.

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on June 22, 2012, 12:18:59 PM
Get 4 people travelling together and it is still $120.  ($29.27 Surfers-Airport peak)  It's only around another $20 each to get the cab.  There are also other options like having a friend drive you.

Given that both services operate every half an hour I think you might be underestimating this point.

As somebody who uses Gold Coast trains on a daily basis and observes plenty of groups and families travelling, I doubt it.
Ride the G:

somebody

I must say, I'm pretty pleased about the brain damaged infrastructure planned for south of Yeerongpilly is to be removed from phase one of the project.  I'm a bit less happy about the bit to the north, but them's the breaks.

Golliwog

Quote from: Simon on June 23, 2012, 20:20:45 PM
I must say, I'm pretty pleased about the brain damaged infrastructure planned for south of Yeerongpilly is to be removed from phase one of the project.  I'm a bit less happy about the bit to the north, but them's the breaks.
Just out of curiousity, has anyone got a definite what is and isn't included in the first stage of CRR Mk2? As much as they've said 'no surface works, just the core tunnel' there does have to be some done around where the tunnel surfaces, and it does strike me as odd to leave the Mayne-Exhibition junction as it currently is. I'd at least be hoping for a 5th or 6th track till a bit past the Mains-Subs crossovers north of the FG flyover. Grade sep. can be done later.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

somebody

One thing that I think might be needed under this CRR lite plan is 3 new platforms at Moorooka, Rocklea and Salisbury.  But that would be a stranded investment once the 4th track goes through on the east side (no platform faces required).  So why not build the extra track now?  State is broke, yada, yada.  I guess there's these options:
- capacity restriction from the shadow effect of the expresses
- slowing the Gold Coast trains by serving these stations in the PM peak
- 4th track on the east side
- 3 new platforms

BrizCommuter

Quote from: rtt_rules on June 26, 2012, 20:08:50 PM
Quote from: Simon on June 26, 2012, 15:01:45 PM
One thing that I think might be needed under this CRR lite plan is 3 new platforms at Moorooka, Rocklea and Salisbury.  But that would be a stranded investment once the 4th track goes through on the east side (no platform faces required).  So why not build the extra track now?  State is broke, yada, yada.  I guess there's these options:
- capacity restriction from the shadow effect of the expresses
- slowing the Gold Coast trains by serving these stations in the PM peak
- 4th track on the east side
- 3 new platforms

2020 is a long way off, it will probably be a 4th track by then extended to Kuraby.

Someones optimistic!

ozbob

Received via email.

An update about the Cross River Rail project

An expert panel appointed to review the Cross River Rail project has recommended the Queensland Government moves ahead with a scaled-back version of the original project.

On 20 June 2012, the Minister for Transport and Main Roads Scott Emerson announced the Queensland Government would now consider priority delivery of 'core' Cross River Rail works, followed by northern and southern surface works.

The 'core' Cross River Rail project includes:

Construction of two running tunnels from Yeerongpilly in the south to Victoria Park in the north, under the CBD and Brisbane River
    Four new underground stations at Woolloongabba, Boggo Road, Albert Street and Roma Street
    Connections to the existing northern and southern rail network.

Additional short-term solutions to increase capacity on the rail network are also being considered. This will ensure rail capacity in the inner city is maintained until Cross River Rail is delivered.

The Queensland Government will continue to seek funding from the Federal Government for the project.

For general information about Cross River Rail, please visit our website at http://www.crossriverrail.qld.gov.au/ or call us on 1800 462 730*.

Kind regards

Cross River Rail

Department of Transport and Main Roads
"Shaping tomorrow's transport system today"

Fares_Fair

Department of Transport and Main Roads
"Shaping tomorrow's transport system today in 2031"

Revised for Sunshine Coast.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Jonno

Using 1970 transport policies

Golliwog

Quote from: rtt_rules on June 28, 2012, 14:12:30 PM
So basically the CRR will continue close to current plan, but simply the project will have a later start date and be elongated in time to full completion, but open without surface works complete.

Cannot complain about this too much.
Nope. And theres also plenty of time between now and the construction date so there is a somewhat decent possibility of finding extra cash between now and then to build it in one go. Depends on how the next few years go budget wise really.

mufreight

Quote from: Golliwog on June 28, 2012, 17:57:50 PM
Quote from: rtt_rules on June 28, 2012, 14:12:30 PM
So basically the CRR will continue close to current plan, but simply the project will have a later start date and be elongated in time to full completion, but open without surface works complete.

Cannot complain about this too much.
Nope. And theres also plenty of time between now and the construction date so there is a somewhat decent possibility of finding extra cash between now and then to build it in one go. Depends on how the next few years go budget wise really.

One would think that the likelyhood of construction is still up in the air.
Since the track amplification south of Yeerongpilly is not going to be provided at this stage the cost of construction could be further reduced by moving the tunnel portals to between Fairfield and Dutton Park with provision made for an underground junction that would in time allow for the extension of the tunnels to Yeerongpilly, this would also solve the problems that arise from the existing proposal which makes no provision for trains to or from the Tennyson Loop line as a redundency factor or to cater for major sporting events at the Gagga.
Construction time would be shortened and over two K less tunnel would have to have a definate effect on the cost of construction.
Half a loaf might prove to be a better option than no loaf at all.

somebody

I'm surprised the review didn't suggest that option, but I'm comfortable with what is proposed.  Just have sports fans interchange at Yeerongpilly. with the specials to Ipswich & Springfield departing off the existing Yeerongpilly platform 1.  It's no harder than what the fans currently have to do, in fact quite a bit easier.

Gazza

Thinking back to that radio interview with Campbell Newman, and the caller asking about train stations being made compliant.

90% of stations need to be accessible by 2017, and 100% by 2022.

Does it really make sense for the station upgrades to have been dropped from the scope of the project, if they need to be done by 2022 anyway (Eg within 2 years of the 2020 (?) opening.

Gazza

I was thinking something along those lines too lol.
Reminds me of the digital TV rollout...Uptake wasn't fast enough so the analouge switch off has been repeatedly pushed back.

ozbob

Infrastructure Australia gives Cross River Rail 'ready to proceed' status in new national report

]Infrastructure Australia gives Cross River Rail 'ready to proceed' status in new national report
    Sherine Conyers, City News
    July 13, 2012 6:54AM

CROSS River Rail has been given 'ready to proceed' status on a revised Infrastructure Australia National Priority list but questions still linger as to whether the project will be funded before the Merivale Bridge reaches capacity in 2016.

Infrastructure Australia today released its fourth review of national infrastructure priorities and performance and has flagged Cross River Rail, first submitted as in 2008, as a 'ready to proceed project'.

In releasing the report, Chairman Sir Rod Eddington said governments, industry and the community needed to look long and hard at  infrastructure needs.

"Our communities deserve appropriate, well-functioning infrastructure and we need to examine ways to provide these assets at least cost to the community.

"In just three years, all of the ready to proceed projects identified in Infrastructure Australia's first priority list received funding from the Commonwealth, state and territory governments,'' he said.

But a spokesperson for the Federal Minister for Infrastructure, Anthony Albanese, previously signalled that the list was no guaranteed of funding.

At a community cabinet meeting last week Prime Minister Julia Gillard did not indicate whether the project would be funded.

"The Cross River Rail project has been identified as a project of significance and it still needs to go through that Infrastructure Australia process so we can properly assess structural projects for their national benefit.

"I understand Premier Newman has this under review and of course we can only do big projects like this one if the State Government is also interested in being a partner and if the State Government takes responsibility for getting the work done,'' she said.

A spokesperson for Transport Minister Scott Emerson said Mr Emerson met with Federal Minister Albanese earlier this week.

"He reinforced the Queensland Government's commitment to tackling the looming innercity rail capacity crisis left by the former government - including interim measures and an affordable longer-term solution outlined by the Government's expert panel," he said.

Two more stages of the Eastern Busway have been given 'threshold' status.

Jonno

The State Govt can fund this in a heart beat by deferring the expansion or start of any urban freeway, motorway, bypass, etc and redirecting the planned funding. 

All it has to do is Want To!!!!  It is time for Govts to realize cannot fund road expansion to reduce congestion, which it in fact does the opposite, and transit which will truely reduce traffic stuck in congestion!!!!

somebody

Settle down.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/brisbane-drivers-should-pay-congestion-charged-to-fund-cross-river-rail-infrastructure-australia/story-e6freon6-1226425422146
QuoteBrisbane drivers should pay congestion charged to fund Cross River Rail: Infrastructure Australia

by: Felicity Caldwell
    July 13, 2012 2:12PM
    11 comments

WHO PAYS? Infrastructure Australia wants motorists to fund the Cross River Rail project. Source: The Courier-Mail

MOTORISTS should foot the bill for a new rail link to bust congestion on the inner-city lines, the State Government has been told.

Infrastructure Australia has called on the state to consider a congestion charge and a parking levy to pay for the Cross River Rail project.

In a report released today, the Federal Government body says the vital rail link is ready to proceed but a stoush remains over who will fund it.

The LNP announced a $4.5 billion streamlined version of Cross River Rail in June, shaving almost $4 billion off the cost, but warned it would not go ahead without Federal Government funding.

The cross-river project is vital for Brisbane's transport network, with the city's only existing inner-city rail link across the river predicted to reach peak-hour capacity by 2016.

The plan includes underground stations at Roma St, Albert St, Boggo Rd and Woolloongabba, but no station upgrades nor extra lines.

Infrastructure Australia national co-ordinator Michael Deegan said the Queensland Government should consider a parking levy and congestion charging to help fund Cross River Rail.

"It's clear funds are limited so you need to look at alternatives,'' Deegan said.

"Parking levies are used interstate.''

He declined to nominate an appropriate cost for a congestion and parking levy, saying it was a matter for the Queensland Government.

Infrastructure Australia's fourth annual reviewdh of major infrastructure projects praises Cross River Rail as "having the capacity to support the balanced development of Brisbane and southeast Queensland well into the mid-century'', but says the "scale of the project presents significant funding challenges''.

It says the plan would add 25 to 30 per cent to the urban rail network capacity.

But Transport Minister Scott Emerson said the state would not support introducing charges in Brisbane.

A spokesman said congestion charging and a parking levy were "not being considered as part of the current proposal''.

11 comments on this story
This is an aspect of the plan we should support.

ozbob

If the LNP won't support additional charges to build proper transport solutions, not much hope really for a solution.

Of course, the way forward will be congestion tolling etc.  but backward jurisdictions like Queensland will just wither on the vine.  The 5'3" is looking more attractive by the day ...

somebody

Quote from: ozbob on July 13, 2012, 17:07:45 PM
The 5'3" is looking more attractive by the day ...
Indeed.  The 4'8.5" is completely st***ed.

I don't think there will be congestion charging in Brisbane but a levy on parking spaces in the CBD is something which should be achievable, as well as a minimum parking provision of zero.

ozbob

From the Couriermail click here!

Key federal government infrastructure agency backs Brisbane's Cross River Rail project

Key federal government infrastructure agency backs Brisbane's Cross River Rail project

by: Anna Caldwell
    July 13, 2012 11:07AM

BRISBANE'S Cross River Rail project looks closer to reality, with the Federal Government's independent infrastructure body deciding it is ready to proceed.

Infrastructure Australia has ranked the project with a multi-billion dollar price tag - alongside three others as its top national priority.

This green light will help to inform the Federal Government's funding decisions.

"Cross River Rail has the capacity to support the balanced development of Brisbane and South East Queensland well into the mid century," the report released this morning said.

The report added that the scale of the project presented "significant funding challenges".

"The project will almost certainly need to be staged," it said.

The new LNP state government initiated a review of the Cross River Rail - originally a Labor project - which recommended the Queensland Government move ahead with a "scaled back" version.

Last month Transport Minister Scott Emerson said the government would consider a "core project".

This includes:

*construction of two running tunnels from Yeerongpilly in the south to Victoria Park in the north, under the CBD and Brisbane River

*four new underground stations at Woolloongabba, Boggo Road, Albert Street and Roma Street

*connections to the existing northern and southern rail network.

The assessment by Infrastructure Australia follows four years of planning and development.

ozbob

Media release 14 July 2012

SEQ: Cross River Rail

RAIL Back On Track (http://backontrack.org) a web based community support group for rail and public transport and an advocate for public transport passengers  congratulates the Cross River Rail project team, and the Queensland Government on the formal recognition of Cross River Rail by Infrastructure Australia as a 'ready to proceed' project (1).

Robert Dow, Spokesman for RAIL Back On Track said:

"The Cross River Rail project is a transforming project for the transport future of south-east Queensland."

"Formal recognition by IA of the project as 'Ready to Proceed' is clearly an excellent and significant outcome."

"Funding of such a major project is complex and challenging but provides the opportunity for innovation.  Value capture around major stations is one source.  Suggested by IA is looking at congestion and parking levies. It is inevitable that Brisbane will need to start active congestion management.  Cross River Rail will bring huge benefits to the road network by reducing congestion.  Brisbane cannot continue to ignore novel funding opportunities to secure a functional transport system for the future.  To do so will mean terminal transport failure."

"A functioning economy needs a functioning transport system."

Reference:

1. http://www.infrastructureaustralia.gov.au/2012_coag/files/Brief_Brisbane_Cross_River_Rail_2012.pdf

Robert Dow
Administration
admin@backontrack.org
RAIL Back On Track http://backontrack.org

ozbob

From the Queensland Times click here!

Report reignites spending battles

QuoteReport reignites spending battles

Owen Jacques | 14th July 2012 4:11 PM

BRISBANE'S ambitious $7 billion Cross River rail tunnel project is now a top priority. But that does not mean it will be score immediate funding, just ask New South Wales.

Infrastructure Australia released its report into where money needed to be spent for the good of the country, with Brisbane's tunnel considered one of the most important.

Meanwhile, the desperately-needed Pacific Highway upgrade - worth between $6.4 billion and $7.7 billion - returns to the priority list as the NSW government keeps fighting for a better funding deal with the Federal Government.

It would create 300km of divided dual-lane roads from Ballina to the Queensland border and to the north and south of Coffs Harbour.

A spokeswoman for NSW Roads Minister Duncan Gay said the areas needed to be more than just a high priority.

"In its recent budget, the Federal Government cut its funding on the Pacific Highway to a 50:50 funding split, cutting $2.3 billion," she said."We have the Federal Government heeds the advice from its own advisory body and increases funding for this vital highway."

Although established by the Federal Government, the IA priority list does not equate to automatic funding. However, the list helps the government consider where best to funnel cash for major projects.

The Brisbane rail project includes the creation of four new underground stations at Albert St in the CBD, Roma St, Wooloongabba and Boggo Rd before resurfacing at Yeerongpilly in the south or Victoria Park in the north.

The second inner-city station would also deliver more space for regional passengers travelling from the Sunshine Coast, Ipswich or Toowoomba.

From Friday's LNP state conference, Premier Campbell Newman raised the subjects of upgrading of the Bruce Highway from Brisbane to Cairns, plus a second range crossing in Toowoomba.In its submissions, Queensland put the Brisbane rail crossing as its top priority.

"I did speak to (Federal Infrastructure Minister) Mr Albanese a couple of days ago and we talked about this and other matters," Mr Newman said.

"I'm hopeful he will take on the state's priorities."

SurfRail

http://www.infrastructureaustralia.gov.au/2012_coag/files/P195_IACOAG%202012_FullReport_WS.pdf

The new BCR is apparently 1.34.

Not only that, but of all the "ready to proceed" projects, CRR is the highest ranked for priority.

In other words, of all the projects they have assessed, this is the most deserving of funding - even after the LNP scaled it back to a staged plan.
Ride the G:

ozbob

somebody

Melbourne Metro stage 1 is also a priority 1 project?  ::)

SurfRail

Quote from: Simon on July 16, 2012, 12:18:30 PM
Melbourne Metro stage 1 is also a priority 1 project?  ::)

I think that's only notionally.  The assessment makes it clear they have gone backwards in the queue by having to redesign/integrate the 2 components into 1.
Ride the G:

ozbob

From Quest City News 19th July 2012 page 7

Capacity is off the rails

🡱 🡳