• Welcome to RAIL - Back On Track Forum.

Cross River Rail Project

Started by ozbob, March 22, 2009, 17:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

somebody

Quote from: rtt_rules on January 23, 2012, 22:29:43 PM
Quote from: Simon on January 23, 2012, 07:56:02 AM
I agree about shopping hours.

Quote from: dwb on January 22, 2012, 09:53:29 AM
Quote from: Gazza on January 21, 2012, 22:10:43 PM
QuoteAnd yes allowing people one free trip for regulars, whats wrong with that considering the base cost of PT travel in Qld on world scale is now one of the more expensive?
Because the base cost should be as low as possible for all.

Disagree. Do you see Virgin making all tickets base cost... maybe cheaper than Qantas' old prices but nope, no way, in peak demand you pay peak!
I don't think this is really comparable.  Translink is a monopoly for the public, where Virgin and Qantas are private companies for profit.

My thourght process.
Back when I was a commuter in Sydney I used weeklys, monthly or Qrtlys. I think Cityrail weeklys were basically the cost of 4 trips, the others even more savings. In the back of my mind everytime I drove my car to work I knew I was paying twice, once for the car and basically loosing out on a free ticket on the train. The amount of times I used it on weekends I could probably count on 2 hands (if that) for 2.5 years of travel and that was from Gosford to Straithfield.

In Translink land, my brain says this, I can train it or I can car it and when I car it (for what ever reason I need or choose to) I'm not paying twice so the driver to stay out of the car is not as strong (ignoring fare prices).

Communters make up the bulk of Translink riders, they usually already own the car so its only fuel and wear and tear costs. Translink maybe a monoploy in providning PT, but it does not have a monoploy in transport.

Regards
Shane
I accept that there is an effect there, I just don't think it is large.

somebody

Quote from: rtt_rules on January 24, 2012, 15:15:35 PM
like less than 1% (2000) of total weekly commuters choose to drive one day each week.
And to maintain the same fare box revenue you need to put up the base fare to compensate.  If you can accept a lower farebox take, then why not reduce the base fare, which would have a far bigger effect than 1% (estimated) who would be affected by changing the discount rules.

SurfRail

Better off making it cheaper for everyone, and much cheaper in the off-peak.

I have been well and truly converted off of periodicals - my last trip to Perth proves they are unnecessary.

Basic issues with our system are:

- Gradient between short and long distance fares is waaaay too low.
- Grandfathering arrangements which put adjacent bus stops and train stations in different fare zones, which need to be removed.
- Off-peak discount should be higher.
- Paper tickets still exist.

Fix those and it will be approaching perfection.

If system revenue and operational efficiency improves, maybe they can look at giving free travel after fewer than 10 trips - but I don't think that is good policy at the moment.
Ride the G:

#Metro

I wouldn't bother giving away freebies when the core is still rotten apple in many parts.
Save the cash and spend it on FREQUENCY!

BUZ 400
BUZ 230
BUZ 359
BUZ 245
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

Mr X

BUZ227 or 225 not 245
BUZ450 not 400

Just to match our route numbering system  :-t
The user once known as Happy Bus User (HBU)
The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

#Metro

QuoteBUZ227 or 225 not 245
BUZ450 not 400

Just to match our route numbering system

The routes would be steam ironed  :is- , so new numbers are appropriate IMHO!

I know STB gets riled up about BUZ 245, but I note that on bus route 140 sometimes it is a BCC BUZ sometimes it is some
other company's BUZ.
Negative people... have a problem for every solution. Posts are commentary and are not necessarily endorsed by RAIL Back on Track or its members.

petey3801

Quote- Grandfathering arrangements which put adjacent bus stops and train stations in different fare zones, which need to be removed.

This is something that really needs to be looked at. It is simply ridiculous that a Zone 1 ticket will get you to Toowong on the train but won't even get you to Milton on the bus, for example.
All opinions stated are my own and do not reflect those held by my employer.

somebody

Why mention the number when you are asking for a BUZ on a new route?  It only adds confusion.

Re:140, I believe Bus Qld does some of these as a subcontractor to BT.

Quote from: petey3801 on January 24, 2012, 18:03:35 PM
Quote- Grandfathering arrangements which put adjacent bus stops and train stations in different fare zones, which need to be removed.

This is something that really needs to be looked at. It is simply ridiculous that a Zone 1 ticket will get you to Toowong on the train but won't even get you to Milton on the bus, for example.
Indeed, but it is Auchenflower which is the border.  Milton is zone 2 on the bus.

aldonius

Interesting. In that case the latest map [http://translink.com.au/resources/travel-information/maps/110829-busway-and-train-network.jpg] is incorrect. It lists Toowong station as zone 1/2.

somebody

Sorry, I was incorrect.  It's Toowong.  Unlikely it's changed.

WTN

Toowong has been zone 1/2 for at least a few years. On the Coronation drive buses, as soon as they hit Coronation drive, they're in zone 2. The transition is very quick if coming from Adelaide St or Roma St. Odd I know.

Quote from: Happy Bus User on January 24, 2012, 00:33:01 AM
Quote from: WTN on January 23, 2012, 20:55:42 PM
Funny enough I have a new IGA that opens until midnight everyday. And it's right beside a recent BUZ service and about 400m from Coles.
There is also an IGA moving in around 500m away from where our store is. Not sure if it is there yet.
Along 3 BUZ routes, too.

Same store?  ;)

I was talking about IGA Greenslopes, which has the 180 running right beside it.
Unless otherwise stated, all views and comments are the author's own and not of any organisation or government body.

Free trips in 2011 due to go card failures: 10
Free trips in 2012 due to go card failures: 13

Golliwog

An update on the oursay question list:
1. Daylight savings, 529 votes
2. Fluoridation, 431 votes
3. CRR, 277 votes
4. Abortions, 202 votes

14.5 days left on the clock to cast your votes. A few more for CRR wouldn't go astray, things can change quickly on there. http://oursay.org.au/the-queensland-agenda
There is no silver bullet... but there is silver buckshot.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Mr X

How did flouride overtake us?? It was far behind!

The opinions contained within my posts and profile are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the greater Rail Back on Track community.

#Metro

The new fluoride carriage, of course.  :D

An update on the oursay question list:
1. Daylight savings, 529 votes
2. Fluoridation, 431 votes
3. CRR, 277 votes
4. Abortions, 202 votes

Well I am pretty sure its just been a lobby factory... I think the results don't really reflect broader issues.
What is the main issue - I think it will be getting someone fresh in the hot seat and cost of living - cost of living issues tend
to arise when everything else is running well and there isn't much to complain about.

Still can't believe they're going to freeze car rego!

Golliwog

Quote from: Happy Bus User on January 28, 2012, 21:50:51 PM

I'm assuming there must be a lobby group or something. It's now at 452 votes, which is a gain of 21, which is threempeoplemputting all seven of their votes for it. Fluoridation also has 128 comments on the question, some directing you towards a Facebook group with 18,000 members, and others are short novels listing various research papers and studies into fluoride and the dangers of fluoridation. By comparison, the CRR question has 3 comments.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

dwb

When flouridation and daylight savings are the "top issues", shows that life is pretty good and people don't have much to worry about despite all the papers and news telling us life is so much more expensive than it used to be.

Golliwog

Quote from: Happy Bus User on January 28, 2012, 21:50:51 PM
Fluoride is now on 838...
CRR is up to 286 though.

SurfRail

The wacky dudes have escaped and stolen a shipment of al foil...
Ride the G:

curator49

It is unfortunate that the vocal "wacky few" have voted so strongly for their own "hobby horses" such that important issus for the majority of the population such as CRR have been wiped out. Unfortunately I have used all my votes for CRR but can't do any more.

What gets me is the LNP has already strongly indicated that a couple of those on the top of the "Our Say" list are not on their political agenda or they are outright against them. The so called voting for these will not change or sway the LNP on any of those issues whereas the LNP are wavering on CRR. At times like this one feels so helpless. The vocal minority these days seem to achieve their ends to the detriment of the majority.

The ordinary "person in the street" (the vast majority) don't seem to understand the costly and detrimental ramifications for not constructing CRR not just to commuters on the south-side of Brisbane to the Gold Coast etc but it will have an impact right across the whole south-east Queensland rail network and public transport in general. If this is not built it will strangle the rail network and affect people from Gympie, (the future) Kippa-Ring, Shorncliffe, Ferny Grove, Rosewood, Springfield, Gold Coast/Beenleigh, Cleveland and everywhere in between as well as any proposed new lines such as Flagstone/Beaudesert.

Mr X

We've been knocked off from the top to #4 by the "Gay panic" defence thingo

We need to double our votes in the next 11 days to overtake it- and the DST question is being backed by a very vocal lobby group!

#Metro

HappyTrainGuy

Register a new domain and go NUTS!  ;D

ozbob

Twitter

@sssbx2 Shayne Sutton
LNP council vote to support Anna Bligh's Cross River Rail. What will Campbell say?? Sadly they also vote to continue CityCycle Rollout
Half baked projects, have long term consequences ...
Ozbob's Gallery Forum   Facebook  X   Mastodon  BlueSky

paulg

We've slipped to #5 in the voting now: http://oursay.org/the-queensland-agenda/sort:votes/dir:desc#the_questions

There are 4 days of voting left for us to make up the difference.

Please pass on this link to possible supporters: http://oursay.org/the-queensland-agenda/will-you-support-cross-river-rail

Cheers, Paul

Stillwater

Mr Newman is addressing the Christian lobby set tonight:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/state-election-2012/christianity-and-the-lnp-20120207-1r60g.html

He will anser questions publicly concerning gay unions, abortion etc.  So if he has answered these things already, should not those questions be wiped from the list, allowing him to answer others lower down? 

Golliwog

With a day and a half left on the clock, and the CRR question trailing by 600 votes, it seems unlikely we're going to get the question put to Mr Newman. Which is crap when it's getting beaten by things like daylight savings and fluoridation.

Seeing as we're probably not going to hear Mr Newman's views on CRR, does anyone know when IA meets, and when they release their views? I believe they meet sometime in Feb.

#Metro

Sigh.

Stop worrying and give up. We already know the questions are all going to be a farce with serious topics (not) like fluoridation, prostitution, homosexual marriage, abortions, daylight savings and probably nude beaches as well.

Health, Education, Transport... nahhhhhhhh

Like the politicians are going to trot out genuine, non-advertisement lines. Probably not...

Time to focus efforts elsewhere.

ozbob

Mr X

Quote from: tramtrain on February 10, 2012, 20:14:22 PMhomosexual marriage

Aside from CRR, that is the only one of your mentioned topics I would consider relevant enough. It's a serious topic for me anyway. As for the others, I love daylight saving but I can see it will never be introduced.

I could make 100 accounts but I really couldn't be stuffed. All we'd get as a response is some BS about critical infrastructure etc.....

Stillwater

Golli, I think IA meets on 17-18 Feb, or thereabouts.  That's in time for a possible announcement before the Queensland election.  It will make for interesting politics on whatever front -- if CRR is not funded (the need to find Plan B) or if it is funded for a portion of the total cost (presenting a problem for Labor, which wants Canberra to fund the lot), or approved 100 percent (will an LNP government accept the money).  As the Chinese curse says, may we live in interesting times.

Mr X

Top three doesn't give much scope for fielding questions. IMHO it should be the top 5 or so that gets answered, politicians can surely afford the extra 5mins to answer?

#Metro

QuoteI, never give up ..

Giving up and failure is essential in life. It frees up resources for other things...

ozbob

Fares_Fair

Quote from: tramtrain on February 10, 2012, 20:47:36 PM
QuoteI, never give up ..

Giving up and failure is essential in life. It frees up resources for other things...

..and spurs you on further.
Regards,
Fares_Fair

Golliwog

It's really the questions on daylight savings and fluoride that annoy me. They're not exactly critical things, or things related to discrination. That said, I didn't expect any ground breaking answers to these questions.

Mr X

Quote from: Golliwog on February 10, 2012, 21:55:04 PM
It's really the questions on daylight savings and fluoride that annoy me. They're not exactly critical things, or things related to discrination. That said, I didn't expect any ground breaking answers to these questions.

The flouride one seems sparked by that Diane woman with a bone to pick and let's face it, who seriously cares? Most of the comments are SPAM from her and she is probably sad enough to make hundreds of multis to get up the votes.
The DST one is being pushed by a very vocal political party (DS4SEQ) which did poorly in 2009 and isn't running in 2012. I have them on facebook and they've been pushing this our say thing daily. As much as I like DST, I would prefer CRR x 9000 more.

The only ones which should be in the top 3 are the gay rights one, CRR and perhaps the abortion or sandmining one.
Sorry about dragging this convo offtopic.

I truly hope IA provide some funding and if they do, it will raise some big questions for the LNP and their commitment to the project.

Golliwog

Hbu, pretty much exactly my opinion of those questions.

O_128

We all know the answers.

1. Regional Qld doesn't want DLS therefore the rest of the state will pretend its 1834
2.Flouride is totally safe and other states and countries have done it for years
3. Gay marriage is fed issue
4. Ill reexamine CRR when I'm elected.
"Where else but Queensland?"

mufreight

Well at the present time CRR is running 5th on our say, will other questions be asked once the initial three have been dealt with, obviously few of those members of this forum realy care in respect of essential transport infrastructure.
RBoT currently has in excess of 500 members each of whom could have cast 7 votes, had even 250 members taken the time to vote for this question to be put to Mr Newman in the public our say forum the 1750 votes that would have accrued would have guranteed that the question would be put to Mr Newman, had all the participants in the RBoT forum participated and voted in the our say forum then CRR would have been the first question asked. Unfortunately it would seem from the numbers alone that many are simply not interested in bringing to the notice of those in the political arena the essential infrastructure needed to provide the levels of public transport that those same people complain is not being provided due in no small part to a lack of infrastructure needed to provide those services.

somebody

Active members would be no more than 40.

🡱 🡳